PDA

View Full Version : New Leon Russell/Elton John CD

A Sooner in Texas
10/24/2010, 07:01 PM
Have y'all heard about this? I just stumbled upon it today and downloaded it from Amazon. It's called "The Union" and it's produced by T-Bone Burnett. Was just released a few days ago.

Elton said Leon is one of his musical idols and a huge influence on his piano playing. I grew up listening to a lot of the "Tulsa Sound," which of course Leon helped develop.

There's some cool stuff on it. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, though.

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2010, 07:16 PM
I'll have to check it out.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/24/2010, 07:24 PM
Yet another example of Tulsa > OKC.

Whet
10/24/2010, 10:02 PM
Russell Bridges - Will Rogers HS, Class of 1960.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2010, 12:17 AM
I saw Leon live a year or so ago here in PHX. I like a lot of music from his popular days, and he did a lot of it, but, he's lost a lot of his talent edge, IMHO.

rainiersooner
10/25/2010, 03:00 AM
I saw Leon live a year or so ago here in PHX. I like a lot of music from his popular days, and he did a lot of it, but, he's lost a lot of his talent edge, IMHO.

He's got pretty advanced MS so yeah, he doesn't rip it anything like he used to. I've seen him a bunch in Seattle when he's been on tour and other places in the south. It's kind of nostalgic for me more than anything else.

rainiersooner
10/25/2010, 03:00 AM
BTW, this is a very cool album imo.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2010, 12:06 PM
...He's got pretty advanced MS...Didn't know.

A Sooner in Texas
10/25/2010, 08:19 PM
One of my favoritest concerts ever was Leon and Edgar Winter at the River Amphitheater in Tulsa, back in 1986. It was great music by two of the ugliest men in rock and roll. :D Leon's not really ugly, but he had his long hair and beard, wearing sunglasses and a straw hat with a Hawaiian shirt and jeans. He looked somewhat like Cousin It. And Edgar is pretty damn ugly, but the man can wail, both vocally and on the sax.
It does make me sad to know about Leon's MS.