PDA

View Full Version : On a lighter note

Soonerfan88
10/24/2010, 05:39 PM
The Missouri alma mater was a very familiar melody but I couldn't figure it out last night. Asked about it today, hummed a little that I could remember and the first recognition anyone had was the goofy lodge finale from the movie Dirty Dancing.

Old Missouri
QdyGW6QlZAs&feature

Kellerman's Anthem (embed disabled)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mereCM83Y

After a little research online, seems it is based on a very old song and the melody is probably the most popular alma mater in the country, used by many universities. However, I think it is hilarious that the modern reference is Dirty Dancing. :D

MyT Oklahoma
10/24/2010, 05:42 PM
Meanwhile.. don't forget about their Golden Girls. I sat six rows behind them in 2007 and I really didn't care what Mizzou sang just so I got to watch.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/24/2010, 06:10 PM
it's a very, VERY common tune. We have chi omega songs from the 1890s with this tune.
EDIT: this one was written in 1937
CrdFeWR3pHo

landrun
10/24/2010, 06:44 PM
I also heard their band playing the theme song to Nintendo's Mario World. :confused: :confused:

I can't believe these guys beat us! :mad: :mad:

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2010, 06:49 PM
I heard that too and laughed my *** off.

proudsoonergal
10/24/2010, 09:05 PM
I also heard their band playing the theme song to Nintendo's Mario World. :confused: :confused:

Yeah, I heard that too. Pretty funny - I liked it.

proudsoonergal
10/24/2010, 09:07 PM
Nobody puts Baby in a corner!!!

AlbqSooner
10/24/2010, 09:13 PM
The song is the Cornell alma mater. "High Above Cayuga's Waters."

Other Ivy League schools have the lyrics thusly:

"High Above Cayuga's Waters
There's an awful smell
Some say it's Cayuga's waters
Some say it's Cornell"

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 09:14 PM
The Missouri alma mater was a very familiar melody but I couldn't figure it out last night. Asked about it today, hummed a little that I could remember and the first recognition anyone had was the goofy lodge finale from the movie Dirty Dancing.

Old Missouri
QdyGW6QlZAs&feature

Kellerman's Anthem (embed disabled)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mereCM83Y

After a little research online, seems it is based on a very old song and the melody is probably the most popular alma mater in the country, used by many universities. However, I think it is hilarious that the modern reference is Dirty Dancing. :D

That makes me think that Van Wilder is about to send them all some fresh baked elclairs.

GottaHavePride
10/24/2010, 09:20 PM

I can't believe these guys beat us! :mad: :mad:

Galdurned youngins... That's not from Mario World. That goes all the way back to Super Mario Bros. - you know, the first one, that also had Duck Hunt on the cartridge.

The song is the Cornell alma mater. "High Above Cayuga's Waters."

Other Ivy League schools have the lyrics thusly:

"High Above Cayuga's Waters
There's an awful smell
Some say it's Cayuga's waters
Some say it's Cornell"

It was also my high school's alma mater. And Phi Mu Alpha has some very old song using that melody.

bluesmagoo
10/24/2010, 10:01 PM
It comes from "Just Before the Battle, Mother." My hs also had the same melody.

agoo758
10/24/2010, 10:05 PM
that also had Duck Hunt on the cartridge.

\.

When the game was over, I swear I could see the dog poking out from behind the bushes and laughing at me again...:mad:

Pricetag
10/24/2010, 10:22 PM
The Pi's sang it to the Tri Lambs in Revenge of the Nerds, too.

Tigeman
10/24/2010, 10:50 PM
The Pi's sang it to the Tri Lambs in Revenge of the Nerds, too.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/booger1.jpg