PDA

View Full Version : We have great players on defense...

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:31 AM
...I am shocked how poorly they have played all year ...I do not understand....

cccasooner2
10/24/2010, 10:38 AM
What I did not understand was playing an obviously injured Adrian Taylor. The guy could barely walk. The rest was just football, I can deal with that.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:38 AM
The defense is schitzo. They only played well all together for 3 games. Last night to me was just preparation and in the 4th they just gave up. There were times Missouri only got field goals and they were deep in the redzone. Its time to move on. Next week I bet the defense plays great. If we do get another chance at Missouri the game will be much different.

JLEW1818
10/24/2010, 10:39 AM
We were out coached in bascially every category last night.

Stoops looked foolish calling timeouts He looked foolish when we "went for 2"

YOU DONT ****ING GO FOR 2 THERE, U WAIT TILL YOU SCORE THE 2ND TOUCHDOWN.

good lord? how hard is that? and guess what happened? we didn't convert. so now our team is mentally damage, knowing they have to again score twice to win.

A very poor overall performance last night. But very poorly coached as well

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:43 AM
I think we have a lot of NFL guys on defense, why do they keep getting gashed ???

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:44 AM
I think we have a lot of NFL guys on defense, why do they keep getting gashed ???

3 and outs. If the offense can't stay on the field the defense will run out of gas.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 10:45 AM
3 and outs and turnovers. We possessed the ball 2 minutes and 8 seconds in the 4th quarter. Good fu**ing luck with that.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 10:48 AM

good lord? how hard is that? and guess what happened? we didn't convert. so now our team is mentally damage, knowing they have to again score twice to win.

Bob actually defended going for 2 in the post game presser. He is simply wrong in his thinking there. He said it let's you know if you need to onside kick or play defense. I was very disappointed in hearing his logic..he is simply wrong.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:49 AM
3 and outs and turnovers. We possessed the ball 2 minutes and 8 seconds in the 4th quarter. Good fu**ing luck with that.

Exactly a defense can't stay out on the field that long. We should've stuck w/ the run game. It was working for a while. Especially when we went up 21-20 stick to running the ball. Use the clock.

JLEW1818
10/24/2010, 10:49 AM
Bob actually defended going for 2 in the post game presser. He is simply wrong in his thinking there. He said it let's you know if you need to onside kick or play defense. I was very disappointed in hearing his logic..he is simply wrong.

wow, didn't hear that... :confused:

Bob ?

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:51 AM
Great defenses can handle that...

madillsoonerfan5353
10/24/2010, 10:53 AM
wow, didn't hear that... :confused:

Bob ?

Like wrote in another post Bob didn't seem like his head was in the game, in his interview on gameday he just didn't seem right! I don't know if it's just me?
:gary:

the green owl
10/24/2010, 10:55 AM
BV would be a great defensive coordinator at Harvard. Our guys aren't Harvard guys (thank god). Too much thinking not enough playing.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 10:56 AM

I have to agree - I was very disappointed with the timeouts. It was obvious at the time we used them they were going to be needed later. We call one after a penalty that put us 1st and goal at the 2! How could we be confused with the extra time to spot the ball and announce the flag? We were even trying to call another timeout when they went for 2. If a team is up by 5 in the 4th qtr, they are going to go for 2 and you should be ready. If you're not ready it's not worth a timeout - just take a penalty and get a 1/2 the distance flag. That's actually what happened, but not by our doing - the refs saved us there.

I do understand the going for 2 early thing, but I disagree. Yes, it lets you know if you need the onside kick, but I think the mental let-down is a bigger factor. And since we had already burned 2 TOs (see above), our odds of getting 2 possessions were already too low anyway. Get within 1 score and keep the hope alive.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:57 AM
Great defenses can handle that...

No they can't. Not even in the NFL. Possession time is a HUGE factor in who wins games.

delhalew
10/24/2010, 10:58 AM
Time of possession is not as important as it used to be. Be have been very demanding of our D ever since we adopted the hurry up. It helps if you come away with points, of course.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:07 AM
Time of possession is not as important as it used to be. Be have been very demanding of our D ever since we adopted the hurry up. It helps if you come away with points, of course.

Longer drives help not constant 3 and outs.

btk108
10/24/2010, 11:15 AM
one word people....Freshman....wait, two words...TRUE Freshman.

Give them a freaking break. Going from high school to upper tier D1 football in a matter of months. They are going to be so good in a year or so that it will make you cry.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 11:16 AM
Please provide a list of our great defensive players. I think we have 4 above average players on defense, but we don't have any great players. We have 2freshman that may be great one day.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 11:20 AM
one word people....Freshman....wait, two words...TRUE Freshman.

Give them a freaking break. Going from high school to upper tier D1 football in a matter of months. They are going to be so good in a year or so that it will make you cry.

Maybe that's it...

CrimsonJim
10/24/2010, 11:21 AM
3 and outs. If the offense can't stay on the field the defense will run out of gas.

Exactly a defense can't stay out on the field that long. We should've stuck w/ the run game. It was working for a while. Especially when we went up 21-20 stick to running the ball. Use the clock.

Longer drives help not constant 3 and outs.

Could our offense have performed better in the 4th. Yes they could have. Now having said that:

All this constant whining about how the 'defense can't stay on the field that long' drives me batshat crazy. OUr defense doesn't have to stay on the field any longer than the opposition's defense does, IF they would get some friggin' stops! Place the blame where it belongs. Quite blaming the offense for defensive mistakes.

Was this loss entirely because of the defanse. NO! It was a team loss and there is plenty of blame to go around. This is a young team that I believe will be fantastic for quite some time to come, and I for one am excited about what the future holds. I still feel we can win the rest of our games and make it to and win a BCS bowl. Quite a step of from last year and I'm happy to have it. It's been a very enjoyable season.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 11:24 AM
Our defense should shut down people, maybe they are just too young yet...

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:25 AM
Could our offense have performed better in the 4th. Yes they could have. Now having said that:

All this constant whining about how the 'defense can't stay on the field that long' drives me batshat crazy. OUr defense doesn't have to stay on the field any longer than the opposition's defense does, IF they would get some friggin' stops! Place the blame where it belongs. Quite blaming the offense for defensive mistakes.

Was this loss entirely because of the defanse. NO! It was a team loss and there is plenty of blame to go around. This is a young team that I believe will be fantastic for quite some time to come, and I for one am excited about what the future holds. I still feel we can win the rest of our games and make it to and win a BCS bowl. Quite a step of from last year and I'm happy to have it. It's been a very enjoyable season.

You're still playing into the conversation. You know why they can't get stops because they're tired. Why are they tired? because the offense is getting stopped almost every series in the 2nd half. It could be a conditioning problem, I don't know. I trust it will be fixed. I do agree though the loss was a team effort. I also agree that we can win out and make it to the Fiesta Bowl.

nBoSTP
10/24/2010, 11:26 AM
I think Kirk Herbstreit hit the nail on the head when he said our defensive tackles are not good. the defensive lines lack of pass rush constantly puts pressure on the young but talented secondary.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 11:27 AM
You're still playing into the conversation. You know why they can't get stops because they're tired. Why are they tired? because the offense is getting stopped almost every series in the 2nd half. It could be a conditioning problem, I don't know. I trust it will be fixed. I do agree though the loss was a team effort. I also agree that we can win out and make it to the Fiesta Bowl.

Fiesta or MNC game ???

Breadburner
10/24/2010, 11:28 AM
No turnovers we win.....

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:45 AM
Our defense should shut down people, maybe they are just too young yet...

Yea, I did like what I saw from Corey Nelson. I hated those blitzes by Tony Jefferson. Missouri had that covered every time.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:46 AM
Fiesta or MNC game ???

Fiesta right now unless the odds fall in OUr favor. I mean I'm a realist. A lot of things need to happen for us to be back in that convo.

landrun
10/24/2010, 11:54 AM
We don't have great players on defense. I don't see that.

I see a number 80 ranked defense playing on the field each week. I remember when Stoops came here. We were proud of our defense. I think we even had a nick name for them. Something like the red swarm or something. Sorta like Arizona's desert swarm... anyway, I remember Stoops mocking it saying that he wouldn't be boasting about a #66 ranked defense (or whatever we were) Now, we're number 80 and we want to convince ourselves we're great?

That's a big difference from a top 10 defense we had in Stoops first few years here.

We are FAR from great.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 11:55 AM
If we beat Okie Lite we will more than likely play Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship. Not sure we win that. If we do our work will be cut out for us in the Fiesta Bowl. Next year this team should be better.

CrimsonJim
10/24/2010, 12:04 PM

I did not say the offense was without blame, but if the opposing defense can shut down our offense, it is our defense's job to match the opposition. If the defense makes plays, they can sit on the sidelines and rest all they want. If they continue to give the opposition a week to make pass plays over the middle the entire game, that is their fault. Make a stop and you can rest. Ask any defensive coach and that's what they will tell you.

East Coast Bias
10/24/2010, 12:14 PM
Mizzou's offense looks just like ours, shouldn't our defense be sharp in covering all their schemes? The line play is the big problem, they are putting more pressure on the LB's, running backs and DB's. Our safeties, Db,S and LB's are trying to make plays on the run, not finishing off what the line starts....

mightysooner
10/24/2010, 12:26 PM
When I watch our defense play it reminds me of those little electric football games we all had as kids. You flick the switch and your players just run into each other and lock up. Just about every snap last night I watched our front seven get stood up and blocked out of just about every play. It's like they all just stand there wrestling with their blockers waiting for the play to come to them instead of shedding their blocks and being disruptive. For all the talk of other teams needing to "lift weights", it sure looks like it's WE who could use some time in the gym. We don't have any D tackles. If those guys are the best we have, our 2's must really blow. The backers consistently disappear on running plays because they're blocked completely off the TV screen. It was kinda pathetic to watch last night.

mightysooner
10/24/2010, 12:27 PM
When I watch our defense play it reminds me of those little electric football games we all had as kids. You flick the switch and your players just run into each other and lock up. Just about every snap last night I watched our front seven get stood up and blocked out of just about every play. It's like they all just stand there wrestling with their blockers waiting for the play to come to them instead of shedding their blocks and being disruptive. For all the talk of other teams needing to "lift weights", it sure looks like it's WE who could use some time in the gym. We don't have any D tackles. If those guys are the best we have, our 2's must really blow. The backers consistently disappear on running plays because they're blocked completely off the TV screen. It was kinda pathetic to watch last night.

stoopified
10/24/2010, 01:34 PM
While he have sevearl great players on D ,the key to any D is the DT position.That is where we are lacking NFL level talent,experience,proven depth. IF you are not STRONG at the point of attack you will be inconsistent.

ashley
10/24/2010, 01:38 PM
Our D tackles are horrible. Not one sack this year. The coaches have tried them all and not one has been good.

landrun
10/24/2010, 01:41 PM
Our D tackles are horrible. Not one sack this year. The coaches have tried them all and not one has been good.

That is very disappointing to hear. :(