PDA

View Full Version : Strangely enough . . .

Jacie
10/24/2010, 09:15 AM
. . . now that Oklahoma has a 1 in the L column, the Sooner players and coaching staff are no longer under the gun to go undefeated. Maybe they can focus on playing the games one at a time, without distraction from the hype that would build after each win over the BCS, OUr ranking, potential opponent and all.

Also there exists the very real possibility that Missouri and Oklahoma will win out and there will be a rematch in Dallas.

If that isn't enough for you, at least OUr team didn't lose to the Cyclones . . .

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 09:18 AM
. . . now that Oklahoma has a 1 in the L column, the Sooner players and coaching staff are no longer under the gun to go undefeated. Maybe they can focus on playing the games one at a time, without distraction from the hype that would build after each win over the BCS, OUr ranking, potential opponent and all.....

THIS ^^^^^^^ !!!!
The fans need to refocus as well.

lasooner123
10/24/2010, 09:27 AM
hopefully we lose the next 2 wks then theres no pressure on us at all. cmon man. losing never helps.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 09:29 AM
hopefully we lose the next 2 wks then theres no pressure on us at all. cmon man. losing never helps.

In 2008 it did. We played pretty pissed, until Jan. I feel sorry for the remaining teams on our regular schedule.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 09:33 AM
I didn't think we would go undefeated this year, so a loss was going to happen sometime. That said, if we bring our A game last night we win easy. Too many mistakes is what pisses me off most, by players and coaches.

IronSooner
10/24/2010, 09:37 AM
The national title should probably be Oregon and Auburn...they look like the two clear-cut best teams in the country right now. We aren't. Either of them I think would hang 50 on us.

I'm hoping we use this as evidence that our defense has not gotten any better since Cincy, and we need to re-learn how to tackle, where to line up, and how to play with a little fire. Bunch of young kids this year so they've got some learning to do. Hopefully this will be enough motivation and show exactly where improvement is needed.

soonercastor
10/24/2010, 09:44 AM
The national title should probably be Oregon and Auburn...they look like the two clear-cut best teams in the country right now.

Auburn can't throw the ball, and will come a game when they will have to and won't be able to. Cam Newton ran all over LSU's D last night, put sucked when he was in throwing situations. Also their D is still suspect, only performed well because LSU's offense is stagnant. So I think they lose a game or more. We clearly opened the door for Boise St last night, now chances are they will pla in the MNC

soonerinabilene
10/24/2010, 09:50 AM
my feeling all year is we are one season away from glory. a big 12 title and bcs game was , and still is my expectations for this team. we are too young to expect a perfect season. games like this are to be expected with such a young team. yeah, it sucks, but we were over our skis all year long so far anyway.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:01 AM
The national title should probably be Oregon and Auburn...they look like the two clear-cut best teams in the country right now. We aren't. Either of them I think would hang 50 on us.

I'm hoping we use this as evidence that our defense has not gotten any better since Cincy, and we need to re-learn how to tackle, where to line up, and how to play with a little fire. Bunch of young kids this year so they've got some learning to do. Hopefully this will be enough motivation and show exactly where improvement is needed.

I would hold off all that for a while. Oregon hasn't been tested all season. Ppl want to bring up Stanford but it was a home game. Auburn still hasn't play Bama either.

soonercastor
10/24/2010, 10:02 AM
my feeling all year is we are one season away from glory. a big 12 title and bcs game was , and still is my expectations for this team. we are too young to expect a perfect season. games like this are to be expected with such a young team. yeah, it sucks, but we were over our skis all year long so far anyway.

true, but once u get to 6-0 with only 2 tough (but manageable) games ahead, you can start dreaming. But yeah a BCS bowl would still be a GREAT season, and we need to win all our remaining road games so these guys get experience and that hurdle and out of the way now.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 10:02 AM
WOW! Saying bye to any shot at a National Championship is not a positive. Coaches and players need to learn how to handle the pressure. Nebraska is the favorite for the Big 12 North. MO more than likely won't be playing in Dallas. We laid a turd, don't give them too much credit. Poor game plan and pi$$ poor execution as well as bad game management.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:05 AM
Too many mistakes...OU was the better team...

Okie35
10/24/2010, 10:14 AM

Not last night but hopefully we'll get another shot at them if we win out and they don't lose next week. I don't think they'll win next week.

IronSooner
10/24/2010, 10:18 AM

We have the ability to be the better team, no doubt. Just can't play like that and win a road game against anyone.

I agree with soonerinabilene...I think we're really good next year. I like that we're getting Finch a lot of time now so he's not lost next year when DeMarco is gone. Otherwise a lot of young guys that have a lot of talent and upside, just need to play better and smarter.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 10:19 AM
I agree a loss was most likely going to happen, but I don't believe BCS spotlight was the reason. We've been outplay in the 4th qtr in almost every game this year and BCS ratings were not a big issue in early games. We were out scored by 10 in the 4th last night and lost by 9. We all knew it would eventually bite us if we didn't fix it. But how react is extremely important and if can win the conference and a bowl game, it will build into what should be a monster season next year.

soonercastor
10/24/2010, 10:29 AM
The spotlight certainly did play a role in it

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 10:48 AM

If so, we better fix that too or we won't have a monster season next year. Spot light is always on the top teams, but I still think we just saw the continuation of what we've seen all year. It just came against a better team.

BlownGP
10/24/2010, 11:15 AM

I would say we moved the ball on them pretty easy on them until we were behind and trying to win the game.

I will say, I know the D played like crap and we had 3 TO's, but mizzu lived up to the hype. They played damn good.

wouldnt be the first time.. hahaha

stoopified
10/24/2010, 12:45 PM

If that isn't enough for you, at least OUr team didn't lose to the Cyclones . . .:D:D:D

pappy
10/24/2010, 04:33 PM
In 2008 it did. We played pretty pissed, until Jan. I feel sorry for the remaining teams on our regular schedule.

This years team is not as good as the 2008 team...too young...next year's team however could be as all those young guys get more experience.

Also, losing so you don't have to feel pressure of staying unbeaten and wonder if the bcs is gonna continue giving you love and allow you to play for the national title is a good thing?! What a moron!

We have 0 shot at a national title this year. We could win a big 12 title and a bcs bowl now, but I'd much rather have the pressure of staying unbeaten and playing for a national title than losing and no longer having the pressure and I guarantee the coaches and players would agree with me.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 04:39 PM
Nobody's a moron for hoping other teams fall apart between now and 12/5.

However...I never got the feeling that anyone on our Team was to comfortable with being the BCS #1 for fear of watching the Monster turn on them if they had a let down. Mizzou was the toughest team on our schedule and it would have been nice to even get an ugly win last night. We didn't so what we've got left is trying to win out and win another Big XII Title before the other two teams in the North **** up our Conference.

Lots of changes to come between 12-5 and next year.

A BCS Bowl would be awesome and hopefully we'll get a Team we can settle a score with. Playing Mizzou again to the death would be on the list before playing in a BCS Bowl IMO.

pappy
10/24/2010, 04:43 PM
Having pressure to be undefeated at Oklahoma should feel so normal to our players that its like breathing to them and they don't even realize they're doing it. The goal every year at Oklahoma should be National Title and a big 12 title is a requirement. If you don't win the big 12 title that year's team sucked and I don't care if they win every game except the big 12 title game...they're failures. Just getting there and being happy about it is something for Okie lite fans to look forward to, not OU fans.

So yeah by that logic the 2003 team is a failure. You don't like it? You can't handle that pressure. Then go be an osu fan. Call it arrogant OU fan logic but we have earned the right to be arrogant.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 04:44 PM
This years team is not as good as the 2008 team...too young...next year's team however could be as all those young guys get more experience.

Also, losing so you don't have to feel pressure of staying unbeaten and wonder if the bcs is gonna continue giving you love and allow you to play for the national title is a good thing?! What a moron!

We have 0 shot at a national title this year. We could win a big 12 title and a bcs bowl now, but I'd much rather have the pressure of staying unbeaten and playing for a national title than losing and no longer having the pressure and I guarantee the coaches and players would agree with me.

You're a moron if you can't comprehend anything I said. He said losing never helps all, I said it did in 2008. That's it. Of course, when you're not #1 there isn't TOO much pressure, but there's still some to finish the season strong. Even if we were ranked 50th last night Missouri would've still wanted to beat us because we're OU. Plain and simple. Like a few stated before yea we're still ahead of what most ppl predicted. You must've woke up in 2008, because in 2007 we've all seen weird things happen. To say 0 shot would be a reach. I'd say we have a 20% chance if we're still in the top ten. Now will I put money on us playing for the MNC, no. Its still not impossible though.

agoo758
10/24/2010, 04:48 PM

Agreed. Losing is never a good thing, it is something you have to learn to deal with when it happens, but it is NEVER a positive.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 04:50 PM
Agreed. Losing is never a good thing, it is something you have to learn to deal with when it happens, but it is NEVER a positive.

Never, you sure? Sometimes you need to be humbled. Great ones say you can never experience winning w/o any failure.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 04:50 PM
I would rather have a loss like last night than an 07 Colorado. This was at least a respectable loss, not a team we had no business losing to.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 04:51 PM
I lost my virginity once and I think it was a positive.

pappy
10/24/2010, 08:22 PM
You're a moron if you can't comprehend anything I said. He said losing never helps all, I said it did in 2008. That's it. Of course, when you're not #1 there isn't TOO much pressure, but there's still some to finish the season strong. Even if we were ranked 50th last night Missouri would've still wanted to beat us because we're OU. Plain and simple. Like a few stated before yea we're still ahead of what most ppl predicted. You must've woke up in 2008, because in 2007 we've all seen weird things happen. To say 0 shot would be a reach. I'd say we have a 20% chance if we're still in the top ten. Now will I put money on us playing for the MNC, no. Its still not impossible though.

My opening statement about this year's team not being as good as 2008's team was the only part of my post that was directed at your quote. I wasn't calling you a moron. However I still say we don't get into the mnc this year. I was at our big 12 title victory in 2007 over then #1 missouri and yeah I know strange things happen, but I don't think the human element lets us in with 1 loss. just like the human element kept us out that year. (Still hate the bowden boys for their bs voting)

lasooner123
11/6/2010, 10:38 PM
bump this thread applies again. now we have no pressure and can just play some ball