PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Taylor

Since71ASooner4Life
10/24/2010, 09:06 AM
Living here in Michigan and since Dish Network decided to screw it's customers, i unfortunately haven't got to see the Sooners much at all. Heck, the idiots here didnt even carry the RRR game for the first time since I can remember. So last night was only the 2rd game I've seen and one was live at Cininnati.

At first I was startled thinking that Adrian Taylor had reinjured his once broken ankle, but then noticed he seemed to be hobbled every time the camera was on him. Was that my imagination or is that just where this injury has left him? He looked like the walking wounded and I did see where one ankle was taped so heavily it looked almost cone shaped.

I'm not knowledgeable enought to understand what movements an interrior lineman has to make and how limiting the type of injury he had would be, but it just blows my mind that he is able to play or could be effective playing like this.

Not to put last night's debockle on his shoulders, but after noticing his condition and watching more closely on the runs up the middle, I cant say that I saw any stout run stopping abilities displayed. What am I missing here? Am I the only one noticing and wondering about this?

Widescreen
10/24/2010, 09:53 AM
Watching the guy "run" off the field between plays is sad. He's nowhere near ready to play and it's telling that we still have to play him. Our DT's this year are not good.

BlownGP
10/24/2010, 10:00 AM
yeah, he looked hurt.. and when the ball was snapped he didnt do much cuz of his ankle

Partial Qualifier
10/24/2010, 10:01 AM
debockle:D

Watching the guy "run" off the field between plays is sad. He's nowhere near ready to play and it's telling that we still have to play him. Our DT's this year are not good.

these.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:03 AM
He is hurt and should not be playing but interior d-line is the biggest weakness on this team...

cccasooner2
10/24/2010, 11:18 AM
Glad to see this post. I don't understand playing someone so obviously injured. Adrian is a talent but really needed a wheel chair last night.

OKC-SLC
10/24/2010, 11:48 AM
it's sad that a one legged dude (Taylor's a stud, don't get me wrong) is one of the top 4 DLs we have to play right now.

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 11:52 AM
it's sad that a one legged dude (Taylor's a stud, don't get me wrong) is one of the top 4 DLs we have to play right now.

yep

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 12:10 PM
Living here in Michigan and since Dish Network decided to screw it's customers, i unfortunately haven't got to see the Sooners much at all. Heck, the idiots here didnt even carry the RRR game for the first time since I can remember. So last night was only the 2rd game I've seen and one was live at Cininnati.
Very few of the games have been on Fox, most have been ABC/ESPN games and I don't think Dish has a problem with ABC/ESPN. I know the regional ABC games have been shown on an ESPN channel.

Utah State - FSN PPV - I believe it was available on Dish
Florida State - ABC Regional 92%, 8% got Iowa-Iowa State
Air Force - FSN
Cincinnati - ESPN2
Texas - ABC Regional 62%/ESPN in Big 10 country
Iowa State - FSN
Missouri - ABC National
Colorado - ESPN2

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 12:22 PM
He is hurt and should not be playing but interior d-line is the biggest weakness on this team...

I thought it was Landry?

I'm all confused now. :D

OKC-SLC
10/24/2010, 12:54 PM
I thought it was Landry?

I'm all confused now. :D

It's Hybl.

Try and keep up.

JRAM
10/24/2010, 01:54 PM
I love Taylor, but the coaches are going to have to find someone that can be dependable that can run. Bless his heart, Taylor just can't move. He is a warrior, but there has to be someone that can move and chase.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 01:57 PM
It's Hybl.

Try and keep up.

Don't bee dissin' my Rose Bowl winning QB Traber-lover. :D ;)

cherokeebrewer
10/24/2010, 02:06 PM
I admire Adrian's courage but I don't know how to reconcile leaving him out there...It was painful to watch & I'm sure it was painful for him.

BigDeezy
10/24/2010, 04:32 PM
If you are a back-up player at OU, how bad must you be that the coaches don't even put you in when the guy in front of you can't run, has no ability to plant his foot, and cannot make a play?

Or maybe the question should be re-phrased: If you are a coach at OU, why do you play disabled players over their back-ups, especially when it is so obvious that the injured player can't get the job done?

OKC-SLC
10/24/2010, 10:01 PM
Don't bee dissin' my Rose Bowl winning QB Traber-lover. :D ;)

heh.

Tell that to Rus.

Hybl >> Landry, IMO.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2010, 10:16 PM
AT tackles on the season. 5..2 were assisted. No reason he should be playing hurt.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 10:50 PM
Could it be a newer injury? I've noticed him limp a bit in previous games, but not nearly as badly as last night.

Soonerwake
10/25/2010, 07:58 AM
Oh, how I miss Gerald McCoy...

A one-legged DT is the best we have???? :confused:

SoonerMarkVA
10/25/2010, 08:49 AM
Guys, what's going on with McFarland? He was very active coming in in a backup role last year, and I expected him to make some big noise this year. Is he hurt, or just disappointing? If the latter, wow, we really have some bad luck with top DTs: Dampeer, Granger, McFarland immediately come to mind.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 08:58 AM
The depth chart has him backing up McGee. I don't watch the D-line guys as much as I do the LBs and DBs. I've always been that way. One exception was Tommy Harris. I met him and Q on their way back to the Athletic Dorm one day after a game and I knew they were both special players but I had never met Tommie. Dude is huge and scary. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the opposition to line up in front of Tommie when he was here. I'll always be a fan of his. I guess I have to mention McCoy too as last year showed how special he was too...but I think Tommie was better.

dwarthog
10/25/2010, 09:08 AM

^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Howzit
10/25/2010, 09:13 AM
I can't imagine what it must have been like for the opposition to line up in front of Tommie when he was here.

Axe Mongo.

ouleaf
10/25/2010, 10:03 AM
I was very upset about this as well....I don't even think you can say Taylor is 50% with that bad leg. Trying to watch him stunt on Saturday was just ridiculous. I can't believe we didn't have better options out there. A 100% 3rd or 4th stringer had to be better than what he was able to give out there. what happened to Noble? Did he play at all.

It's admirable that Taylor came back at all after that terrible injury, but he is ineffective out. The rest of his line mates did do much better, however, which is even more worriesome.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 10:15 AM
I was very upset about this as well....I don't even think you can say Taylor is 50% with that bad leg. Trying to watch him stunt on Saturday was just ridiculous. I can't believe we didn't have better options out there. A 100% 3rd or 4th stringer had to be better than what he was able to give out there. what happened to Noble? Did he play at all.

It's admirable that Taylor came back at all after that terrible injury, but he is ineffective out. The rest of his line mates did do much better, however, which is even more worriesome.

Turf is also the WORST to play on if you have an injury like that. I didn't even notice Noble didn't play. He's been solid every time he's had PT too.

cccasooner2
10/25/2010, 10:37 AM
According to SoonerSports DT backups Eric Humphrey, Torrea Peterson, and Jamarkus Mcfarland played. Daniel Noble was not mentioned.

prrriiide
10/25/2010, 11:20 AM
Guys, what's going on with McFarland? He was very active coming in in a backup role last year, and I expected him to make some big noise this year. Is he hurt, or just disappointing? If the latter, wow, we really have some bad luck with top DTs: Dampeer, Granger, McFarland immediately come to mind.

The other teams don't have to put more than one guy on Taylor. Do the math.

Scott D
10/25/2010, 11:20 AM
Very few of the games have been on Fox, most have been ABC/ESPN games and I don't think Dish has a problem with ABC/ESPN. I know the regional ABC games have been shown on an ESPN channel.

Utah State - FSN PPV - I believe it was available on Dish
Florida State - ABC Regional 92%, 8% got Iowa-Iowa State
Air Force - FSN
Cincinnati - ESPN2
Texas - ABC Regional 62%/ESPN in Big 10 country
Iowa State - FSN
Missouri - ABC National
Colorado - ESPN2

on DirecTV I've seen them all except for Utah State in the Detroit area...just sayin. :)

OUthunder
10/25/2010, 11:22 AM

Taylor should have never stepped on the field this year. Certainly you have a warm body on scholly who can take up space, which is all he's done this year. With good reason I might add.

Scott D
10/25/2010, 11:23 AM
AT tackles on the season. 5..2 were assisted. No reason he should be playing hurt.

for this defense to be played the way it should be played, the DT's should be limited in the amount of tackles they have. Their primary focus should be occupying 2-4 offensive linemen thereby freeing the ends and linebackers to make plays. That isn't happening no matter what 2 players we stick out there, and that causes there to be pressure on a young secondary, and allows teams to gameplan against Wort's youth. Part of why a not in 100% game condition Austin Box played more in the second half.

Scott D
10/25/2010, 11:24 AM
According to SoonerSports DT backups Eric Humphrey, Torrea Peterson, and Jamarkus Mcfarland played. Daniel Noble was not mentioned.

Noble was on the field.

bluedogok
10/25/2010, 10:24 PM
on DirecTV I've seen them all except for Utah State in the Detroit area...just sayin. :)
I saw that one here on Directv, so I have watched all of them so far.

Scott D
10/26/2010, 04:24 PM
yeah but I won't do ppv :)

bluedogok
10/26/2010, 11:09 PM
yeah but I won't do ppv :)
I do for OU games, that's it. I have enough of a bill with Sports Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 12:28 AM
Hell, I've got free basic cable supplied with my apartment for free and I've seen all but Utah State.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2010, 10:18 AM
heh.

Tell that to Rus.

Hybl >> Landry, IMO.

True, if that is Rose Bowl MVP Hybl compared to Landry. But let's level the playing field:

sophomore Landry >>> sophomore Hybl.

OK2U
11/2/2010, 02:40 PM
Good Read:

NORMAN (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Norman+%28Oklahoma%29&CATEGORY=CITY) — Against Colorado (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Colorado&CATEGORY=STATE), Oklahoma (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+Sooners+%28Football%29&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION)’s Adrian Taylor (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Adrian+Taylor&CATEGORY=PERSON) found joy in a place that other defensive tackles loathe.
For the first time all season, Taylor finally got double teamed.
Said linebacker Travis Lewis (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Travis+Lewis&CATEGORY=PERSON): “Out there on the field with him he was like, ‘They’re double teaming me! They’re double teaming me!’”
“You complain about double teams all the time,” Taylor said. “But right now, I want the double team, if that makes sense.
“Shows how far I’ve come.”
This has been a trying senior season for Taylor, who 10 months ago at the Sun Bowl (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Sun+Bowl&CATEGORY=MISC) suffered one of the most gruesome injuries in Sooner history. A broken ankle so ghastly, CBS (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=CBS+Corporation&CATEGORY=COMPANY) refused to televise the replay as Taylor was carted off the field.
But defying the odds, Taylor returned to the field at the beginning of this season. And has been gutting it out ever since. Despite running with a limp. Despite playing with pain. Despite not being the player he was last season; and the player he was on the cusp of becoming pre-injury.
“Of course, there’s been some physical things there, but being honest, the hardest part for me has been the mental aspect of it,” Taylor said. “Not to sound cocky, but I thought I had a pretty good year last year, and I was expecting to have an even bigger year this year. This injury has hindered me.
“Not being what I’m used to being and being even better this year has been hard for me.”
Who knows where the Sooner defense might be this season with a healthy Taylor?
At times, due also in part to inexperience and other injuries up front, the OU defense has struggled defending the middle of the line of scrimmage, a place where Taylor and Gerald McCoy (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Gerald+McCoy&CATEGORY=PERSON) dominated opponents last season while playing almost every snap.
Replacing McCoy was going to be impossible, but the Sooners surely would have been stronger with Taylor firing away at full strength.
Then again, who knows where the defense would be this season without Taylor at all?
Shortly after the injury, some doctors cautioned it could be two years before Taylor would be able to walk normal again. And the week leading up to the opener, some still advised Taylor redshirting might be the best option for him. Take another year to heal the ankle. Another year to get back into playing shape. Another year to restore his NFL Draft stock.
For Taylor, that was no option.
“I was willing to do whatever my brothers needed me to do, because I know they’d do the same for me,” Taylor said. “I’m not a quitter. I wasn’t raised to be a quitter. I knew I wasn’t going to come out the first game and play 60 snaps. And when I first got out there I got pushed around and I wasn’t used to that.
“But I’m proud I’ve been able to fight through it to be part of this great team.”
Taylor still has dreams of playing in the NFL (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=National+Football+League&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION). But at the moment, it’s not something he dwells on. Doesn’t worry where his draft stock might be had he not gotten hurt. Doesn’t worry about where it is now.
“My goal right now is to help this team, help my family, my brothers, to do the best we can and win as many games as we can and whatever championships we can,” Taylor said. “That’s my goal. Everybody as a young kid wants to go to the NFL. I’ll worry about me and going to the NFL when this season is over.”
While he’s on his way, Taylor is not yet the player he was last season. But in many ways, he’s meant every bit as much to the team. Even if only at 80 percent. Even for only 30 plays a game.
Because of the leadership he’s brought. And the inspiration he’s provided.
“He’s still really battling. I can tell he’s in a lot of pain when he’s out there playing,” said safety Quinton Carter (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Quinton+Carter&CATEGORY=PERSON). “But he really puts it to the side and gives his all for the team.
“When a guy puts himself aside to try and help the team ... when you see a guy doing that you can’t help but think, ‘How can I tap out when he’s going through the pain and putting up with that and is still giving his all?’”
Taylor continues to give it all. He feels better every week. Plays better every week.
And now, he’s even getting double-teamed again.
“I’m gaining steam,” he said. “If it continues like this every week, I might be full power before the end of the season.
“It’s a blessing to have come this far this fast.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/adrian-taylor-gets-best-compliment-of-all/article/3510284?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz149iiAZu b

soonerboomer93
11/2/2010, 02:57 PM
The depth chart has him backing up McGee. I don't watch the D-line guys as much as I do the LBs and DBs. I've always been that way. One exception was Tommy Harris. I met him and Q on their way back to the Athletic Dorm one day after a game and I knew they were both special players but I had never met Tommie. Dude is huge and scary. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the opposition to line up in front of Tommie when he was here. I'll always be a fan of his. I guess I have to mention McCoy too as last year showed how special he was too...but I think Tommie was better.

and don't forget, Tommie ****s football helmets

CharterKid
11/3/2010, 09:21 AM
Where was his stock before the injury and now in the NFL?

ouleaf
11/3/2010, 09:50 AM

Not sure how much stock he had to begin with, but with the injury clearly limiting what he can do, I can't imagine him having any stock right now, not until he can fully heal(who knows if it ever really will). Sad story, but its just one of those things that comes with playing the game.

...sooner
11/3/2010, 10:01 AM
could he have redshirted? just to get the leg to heal all the way? i was always wondering

OK2U
11/3/2010, 12:09 PM
STEP???

okiedokie
11/3/2010, 07:31 PM

At first I was startled thinking that Adrian Taylor had reinjured his once broken ankle, but then noticed he seemed to be hobbled every time the camera was on him. Was that my imagination or is that just where this injury has left him? He looked like the walking wounded and I did see where one ankle was taped so heavily it looked almost cone shaped.

I'm not knowledgeable enought to understand what movements an interrior lineman has to make and how limiting the type of injury he had would be, but it just blows my mind that he is able to play or could be effective playing like this.

Not to put last night's debockle on his shoulders, but after noticing his condition and watching more closely on the runs up the middle, I cant say that I saw any stout run stopping abilities displayed. What am I missing here? Am I the only one noticing and wondering about this?

same problem here in IL. Something to do with Fox raising their rates and Dish did not agree? the customers are left to suffer either way.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 08:05 PM
except that Dish and Fox have come to an agreement.

okiedokie
11/3/2010, 10:43 PM
except that Dish and Fox have come to an agreement.

good to hear...so I should expect an increase on my next Dish bill..lol