PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy hungry to hit Sam today/good read...

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101024_223_B1_CUTLIN556893

TAMPA BAY defensive tackle Gerald McCoy's ominous-sounding threats Wednesday toward Rams quarterback Sam Bradford need to be put in the proper context. And there's a whole lot of context.

First, the two have known each other since their days in Oklahoma City's junior football leagues, when they played on different teams but never played each other.

"Man, they didn't want none of that," McCoy said jokingly. "They were hiding from us."

Secondly, they formed a strong bond as teammates at Oklahoma, where Bradford won the Heisman Trophy and McCoy was an All-American, with 40 starts, 14 1/2 sacks and 33 tackles for loss. The forbidden fruit for the 6-foot-4, 295-pound McCoy, though, was plying his trade against the Sooners' star QB.

"I remember watching him in summer workouts," Bradford said. "He was a big guy, but you could see him jumping over hurdles, running over bags and you'd sit there and say, 'A guy that big is not supposed to move like that.' He's a great athlete. He's a force in the middle. You really can't say enough good things about him."

Third, McCoy respects Bradford's ability. He called Bradford "one of the most accurate quarterbacks I've ever seen. I love the way Sam plays. Me and my father were talking the other day and I said, 'You know who runs a good bootleg? It's Sam.'"

Fourth, the two have kept in contact since Bradford was taken first overall in the draft and McCoy was selected third.

"I try and call Sam. It's rare for him to pick it up. It's not because he's avoiding me; it's because he's so busy," McCoy said. "He'll call me back and I'll miss his call. But we connected yesterday and I got to talk to him a little bit. We're both looking forward to it."

So, here's the tough part for Rams fans to swallow. His message to "Sammy," as he often calls him, was the same as it was months ago at the NFL Combine.

"I'm going to kill him," McCoy said Wednesday. "If I can get to him, I'm going to kill him. We are definitely cool off the field. But on the field, I do not know him. He is No. 8 for the Rams, and that's all I know."

McCoy embellished the message, adding that if he sacks Bradford, "I might even do something dirty, like knee him or something. When we get off the field, I'll say, 'Hey, Sam, don't take it personal, man. It was an accident.'"

Bradford acknowledged hearing the smack talk and even offered an excuse.

"At Oklahoma, he was never allowed to hit me," Bradford said. "So, I think he's got a lot of built-up frustration that he's going to try to take out on Sunday."

Talk comes easily to the chatty McCoy, but Bucs coach Raheem Morris emphasized that McCoy has much to prove on the field, such as getting his first NFL sack.

"You don't come out talking or telling people what you're going to do," said Morris, in his second year as head coach. "You've got to go out and do it. Then you become that leader."

Tampa Bay drafted McCoy higher than any other interior lineman since Warren Sapp, another noted quipster whose user name on Twitter is QBKILLA. Sapp's departure after the 2003 season was one of the first signs of decline in the vaunted Tampa defense, which is attempting to re-establish itself under Morris. Perhaps someday McCoy can define the unit's personality.

"Those roles aren't handed out like breath mints," Morris said. "Those roles are ones that you've got to go out and you've got to absolutely earn every week, and right now he just has an ability to get better and better with his teammates."

McCoy's progress might have been slowed because the Bucs have used him at every position on the line, including two starts at end. He has 14 tackles, three for loss.

"He's so versatile," Morris said. "We like to move him around a little bit. But he's a defensive tackle, there's no doubt about it."

And eventually, he'd love to become the face - as well as the mouth - of the defense.

"I think the fans are giving me a challenge and keeping high hopes for me," McCoy said. "I embrace it. I love a challenge, and I'll go at it full steam ahead."

Even when an old teammate stands square in his path.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101024_223_B1_CUTLIN556893

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 09:21 AM
These parts crack me up:

"I'm going to kill him," McCoy said Wednesday. "If I can get to him, I'm going to kill him. We are definitely cool off the field. But on the field, I do not know him. He is No. 8 for the Rams, and that's all I know."

McCoy embellished the message, adding that if he sacks Bradford, "I might even do something dirty, like knee him or something. When we get off the field, I'll say, 'Hey, Sam, don't take it personal, man. It was an accident.'"

And this:

Bradford acknowledged hearing the smack talk and even offered an excuse.

"At Oklahoma, he was never allowed to hit me," Bradford said. "So, I think he's got a lot of built-up frustration that he's going to try to take out on Sunday."

Unfrozen Caveman Sooner
10/24/2010, 12:59 PM
Add to bucket list, I wanna go to a Buc game and sit in the pirate ship.