PDA

View Full Version : END GAME

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 07:56 AM
So it's been discussed in other threads, but I missed lots of the game and wasn't at a computer last night. so here: .

I can deal with losing to a good, fired-up team at home, especially where when we made too many of mistakes throughout the game. But the clueless management of the end game was appalling and frightening and indefensible. It was the dumbest coaching of the Stoops era.

That 2-point call was just wrong. It made Bob look as dumb as Leslie Miles. Yes, that dumb. (Move over Mad Hatter, make room for VisorMan!) Sure, you'd have to make 2 later anyway but there was no upside to deciding the game that early. Take the 1XP and keep the pressure on. Of course, if you were boldly going for the win instead of the tie, there's a decent motivation, but once you miss it, you have to accept that you have gambled away the game.

The last punt was also baffling, unless it was a surrender. At least take a shot!

Then the final rugby-panic play with, what 2 seconds left and needing 2 scores?!? You have already surrendered, leave that trick in the bag for when it might be useful. Just do the graceful thing: run out the clock and get out of town, before somebody gets hurt for nothing.

It's not that these calls cost us the game, but rather that they were so mysteriously confusing and illogical. It was like nobody on OUr side had enough fingers to do the scoring math.

In sum: Losing is losing and we can get past it and play great going forward. But none of OUr end game made any sense, and that is scary.

Hey, who put the cat up there?!

UTsucks
10/24/2010, 08:01 AM
National TV

Big game Bob

Enough said

It's like a bad movie every year :pop:

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 08:04 AM
So it's been discussed in other threads, but I missed lots of the game and wasn't at a computer last night. so here: .

I can deal with losing to a good, fired-up team at home, especially where when we made too many of mistakes throughout the game. But the clueless management of the end game was appalling and frightening and indefensible. It was the dumbest coaching of the Stoops era.

That 2-point call was just wrong. It made Bob look as dumb as Leslie Miles. Yes, that dumb. (Move over Mad Hatter, make room for VisorMan!) Sure, you'd have to make 2 later anyway but there was no upside to deciding the game that early. Take the 1XP and keep the pressure on. Of course, if you were boldly going for the win instead of the tie, there's a decent motivation, but once you miss it, you have to accept that you have gambled away the game.

The last punt was also baffling, unless it was a surrender. At least take a shot!

Then the final rugby-panic play with, what 2 seconds left and needing 2 scores?!? You have already surrendered, leave that trick in the bag for when it might be useful. Just do the graceful thing: run out the clock and get out of town, before somebody gets hurt for nothing.

It's not that these calls cost us the game, but rather that they were so mysteriously confusing and illogical. It was like nobody on OUr side had enough fingers to do the scoring math.

In sum: Losing is losing and we can get past it and play great going forward. But none of OUr end game made any sense, and that is scary.

Hey, who put the cat up there?!

Agreed

budbarrybob
10/24/2010, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=TUSooner;3007320]

I can deal with losing to a good, fired-up team at home, especially where when we made too many of mistakes throughout the game.

Check

That 2-point call was just wrong.

Check

Check

Then the final rugby-panic play with, what 2 seconds left and needing 2 scores?!?

Checkmate

QUOTE]

TahoeSOONER
10/24/2010, 08:10 AM
Going for two just baffles me! I know you have to eventually but for the love of all things Sooner you got to give your kids a chance. The coaching staff on defense looked lost and it came across on the field. It was that typical sloppy road gem we seem to play most years. Oh well, lots of football left, to prove we're better than what we showed.

GrapevineSooner
10/24/2010, 08:12 AM
We've secretly replaced the Oklahoma Sooners coaching staff with the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff.

Let's see if anybody notices. ;)

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 08:14 AM
What has Bob said about this? If he tries to defend it, he's worse off than I feared.

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 08:17 AM
What has Bob said about this? If he tries to defend it, he's worse off than I feared.

I don't know, I haven't heard or read any quotes from Stoops yet. Please post them, I'd like to hear whether he avoids these questions with coach speak or answers them directly.

aero
10/24/2010, 08:27 AM
Good post TU. Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the end of the game. I thought going for 2 was a huge gamble because the downside of not getting it made the odds of losing a lot greater. Went from getting the ball back, scoring and to converting a 2, to having to get the ball back twice and scoring twice. I couldn't believe the announcers weren't saying anything about it but then again it was Mushberg & Bernie. Took the air out of the game. Yes, the last 5 minutes or so was not OU football.

SoonerBacker
10/24/2010, 08:36 AM
Agreed. Bob Stoops has lost it! We need to fire him and look for a coach who still has the ability to win every game, even when his players don't execute the game plan. :rolleyes:

Giving up the opening kickoff return, turning the ball over twice in the red zone, missing a FG...None of that had anything to do with our losing this game! IT wasn't poor execution by the players! It was the fact that Bob Stoops can't win the Big Games anymore! FIRE HIM! :rolleyes:

GEEZE! Sometimes the posts on this board remind me of * fans.com!

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 08:44 AM
Agreed. Bob Stoops has lost it! We need to fire him and look for a coach who still has the ability to win every game, even when his players don't execute the game plan. :rolleyes:

Giving up the opening kickoff return, turning the ball over twice in the red zone, missing a FG...None of that had anything to do with our losing this game! IT wasn't poor execution by the players! It was the fact that Bob Stoops can't win the Big Games anymore! FIRE HIM! :rolleyes:

^This^ . Also why not go for two then? If we don't make it then when know we have 6 min to score twice vs waiting to find until too late to score another time if you miss 2 point on the second touchdown.

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 08:45 AM

I don't think anyone has said "fire Bob Stoops". At least that's not what I'm pushing. Just confused by some of the coaching in this game/most specifically that in the fourth quarter.

But you're correct, we would've been in much better position to win the game had Landry not thrown two ridiculous interceptions and had Madu held onto the ball early on.

kevpks
10/24/2010, 08:46 AM
Once again, they are only big games when we lose apparently.

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 08:50 AM

Overreact much? I guess you're one of those who thinks any criticism of the Sooners is heresy - even on the internet. Please explain OUr secret end-game brilliance if you can see it, because it has escaped me. Nobody on this board has called for Stoops's head, so settle down. Pffffft. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, if you'll read my post I plainly said

It's not that these calls cost us the game....

SoonerBacker
10/24/2010, 08:55 AM
I don't think anyone has said "fire Bob Stoops". At least that's not what I'm pushing. Just confused by some of the coaching in this game/most specifically that in the fourth quarter.

But you're correct, we would've been in much better position to win the game had Landry not thrown two ridiculous interceptions and had Madu held onto the ball early on.

The "fire Bob Stoops" comment is called hyperbole. The point is to illustrate the overreaction of so many on this board! Sooner Fans tend to turn on their own team faster than just about any fan base (outside of Austin) that I have ever seen.

So we lost a game! Who here REALLY expected this team to go undefeated this year? If you did, you were crazy! This is still a very young team. Get off the team's and the coaches' backs and SUPPORT THEM instead of ripping them apart everytime we lose a game or don't win by enough to satisfy. Want to analyze the game? No problem. But most of the folks here just rip into the team/coaches and criticize for any and every mistake! The criticism goes far beyond analysis of the game.

In the end, if you think you can do a better job than Stoops, Wilson, Veneables, Jones, Maddu, etc? Either go apply for the job or see if you can make the team!

SoonerBacker
10/24/2010, 09:01 AM
Overreact much? I guess you're one of those who thinks any criticism of the Sooners is heresy - even on the internet. Please explain OUr secret end-game brilliance if you can see it, because it has escaped me. Nobody on this board has called for Stoops's head, so settle down. Pffffft. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, if you'll read my post I plainly said

You're accusing me of overreacting!?! HA! Have you read any of the other threads on this board posted since last night's game!?! Right now, SF is making the hornfans.com board look tame! :rolleyes:

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 09:04 AM
The "fire Bob Stoops" comment is called hyperbole. The point is to illustrate the overreaction of so many on this board! Sooner Fans tend to turn on their own team faster than just about any fan base (outside of Austin) that I have ever seen.

So we lost a game! Who here REALLY expected this team to go undefeated this year? If you did, you were crazy! This is still a very young team. Get off the team's and the coaches' backs and SUPPORT THEM instead of ripping them apart everytime we lose a game or don't win by enough to satisfy. Want to analyze the game? No problem. But most of the folks here just rip into the team/coaches and criticize for any and every mistake! The criticism goes far beyond analysis of the game.

In the end, if you think you can do a better job than Stoops, Wilson, Veneables, Jones, Maddu, etc? Either go apply for the job or see if you can make the team!
Thanks for the grammar lesson.

I have a problem with the way that some fans act like we should never question the coaching. I don't see what the problem is with questioning the coaching WITHOUT calling for firings.
As fans who love OUr program, why the hell don't we have the right to discuss coaching issues such as the ones displayed in last night's game?

Obviously you picked the wrong thread to come in and imply that anyone in this thread has turned on the team and wants to fire Stoops. You need to do a search for the fire coach (enter coach name here) threads. That's where your arguments or your attitude are justified...not in this thread.

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 09:06 AM

That's a lame defense of your own overreaction in light of the fact that nobody has done the things you're complaining about, I'm sure you could have found a better thread to use your rant in. But anyway... The whole point of this little thread was to say that nobody - not even the coaches, as far as I can tell - seems to know wtf we were doing in the last few minutes of the game. That's it. It's a mystery to me, and you certainly don't have an answer other than to circle the wagons and shoot the complainers.

TUSooner
10/24/2010, 09:10 AM
You're accusing me of overreacting!?! HA! Have you read any of the other threads on this board posted since last night's game!?! Right now, SF is making the hornfans.com board look tame! :rolleyes:

Key words: "other threads". Maybe you should be posting your canned rant somewhere where it fits.

btb916
10/24/2010, 09:38 AM
LOL. Some people just go crazy when there is any criticism at all. It really amuses me. Like we should unyieldingly support and pump up a guy that makes millions and millions of dollars to win.

I love Bob Stoops. He is a spectacular coach and has led us to a hell of a decade. I hope he stays for a long time and we continue to be relevant every year. He did what all coaches do last night, though: he messed up. His bad decisions at the end of the game didn't cause us to lose, not by a longshot. Most of that is on the Defense, the d-line particularly for getting 0 pressure, the o-line, and Landry Jones' bad decisions. But sheesh, I was, like the OP, really confused about the end-of-the-game management. It was not good.

No reason to moan about overreactions in a calm thread devoted to discussing a legitimate topic.

Widescreen
10/24/2010, 09:45 AM

Why on earth did you post this in this thread? None of what you've said has occurred here. You just came off as a major drama queen. So questioning some decisions the coaches made last night equals "Fire Stoops" and means the OP thinks the team itself played great? OK.

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 11:34 AM
Why on earth did you post this in this thread? None of what you've said has occurred here. You just came off as a major drama queen. So questioning some decisions the coaches made last night equals "Fire Stoops" and means the OP thinks the team itself played great? OK.

Exactly what I was wondering

stoopified
10/24/2010, 01:27 PM
GEEZE! Sometimes the posts on this board remind me of * fans.com!True dat