PDA

View Full Version : Discuss THE REFS in tonight's game

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/24/2010, 12:40 AM
I didn't understand the play where the MU receiver caught the ball a yd short of the first down, clearly had it in possession, an OU defender clobbered him, he coughed it up, and we recovered. Ruling: incomplete pass.

The onside kick late in the game, didn't go 10 yds. Shouldn't we have a yardage penalty and rekick, instead of MU getting possession?

Our pass attempt for a 2 point conversion. Did they even review that?I was distracted, so I didn't catch all the details and the camera angles, etc. on that play.

Any other calls that looked like they were possibly blown?

Okie35
10/24/2010, 12:42 AM
There was a holding they didn't call when they got a long pass but really the refs played no part in the loss. The turnovers were the problem.

tcrb
10/24/2010, 12:43 AM
I didn't understand the play where the MU receiver caught the ball a yd short of the first down, clearly had it in possession, an OU defender clobbered him, he coughed it up, and we recovered. Ruling: incomplete pass.

The onside kick late in the game, didn't go 10 yds. Shouldn't we have a yardage penalty and rekick, instead of MU getting possession?

Our pass attempt for a 2 point conversion. Did they even review that?I was distracted, so I didn't catch all the details and the camera angles, etc. on that play.

Just let that sh*t go. We didn't lose because of the refs. For the most part it was a fairly called game (but I did think that misery got away with alot of holds).

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 12:44 AM

I thought this was a fumble, but otherwise I thought they did fine.

10/24/2010, 12:46 AM
There was a holding they didn't call when they got a long pass but really the refs played no part in the loss. The turnovers were the problem.Anytime they make several bad calls more against one team than the other, it's a real problem. Certainly in this game, not the only problem. For us turnovers, as you mentioned, and inability to handle the MU offensive linemen.

Were they holding a lot more than we were, and getting away with it?

silverwheels
10/24/2010, 12:47 AM
That was an incomplete pass. The guy barely hit the ground before the ball came loose. He didn't make a "football move".

I am more agitated about the missed block in the back on Travis during their kickoff return for a TD.

tommieharris91
10/24/2010, 12:51 AM
The refs were capitalists. :pop:

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 12:51 AM
The first one was a replay booth call and that's typically the way they call it. There was a clear camera view, so there was nothing to argue about except their interpretation of the rule. They punted for a touchback the next play and didn't really make much different, but the call was fine, IMO.

I don't know the exact rule on the on-side kick but it seems they have gotten rid of re-kicks in recent years and award the ball to the receivers on a kicking team flag.

The nose of the ball hit the ground on the 2-pt play and they did have one perfect camera angle they finally showed. Great try by Ryan as it look like he caught the back of the ball, but couldn't keep the nose from touching.

The only calls I thought were bogus were the holding call on Stills and the pass interference call on Colvin. But they were not terrible calls as those are common mistakes refs make and were not key plays (again, IMO).

10/24/2010, 12:52 AM
That was RULED an incomplete pass.(I know that) The guy barely hit the ground before the ball came loose. He didn't make a "football move"...(Yeah, that's what Mushberger said. WTF is that all about? is it valid?)

I am more agitated about the missed block in the back on Travis during their kickoff return for a TD. There ya go!

SoonerNate
10/24/2010, 12:53 AM
Did the refs toss a screen pass directly to the defender? Did the refs fumble the ball on a crucial drive inside the 30?

C'mon guys. We beat OUrselves, coupled with some really poor defense. Gabert picked us apart in the middle of the field all night long.

OUr secondary is obviously very weak. We were exposed tonight. Plain and simple.

TigerNuts
And let's not forget the phantom holding call on our O-Lineman (Palmgren) at a crucial time.

Shyt happens. There were bad calls both ways, this is normal. It didn't dictate the game.

Dwight
Aside from some blatantly obvious missed holding calls, I thought the refs were fairly decent.

silverwheels
10/24/2010, 12:54 AM
It's valid.

SoonerNate
10/24/2010, 12:57 AM
Aside from some blatantly obvious missed holding calls, I thought the refs were fairly decent.

This. There were some no calls that were clearly obvious. But that is the case with playing on the road. You have to get beyond that and we didn't.

Mizzou is a good team folks. We are better. But we shot our selves in the foot and lost. PERIOD.

rainiersooner
10/24/2010, 01:27 AM
I am curious about the rule on the onside kick and the way they interpreted it.

But I also don't think our loss had anything to do with the refs.

GregFockerRN
10/24/2010, 01:49 AM
I think it's fair to discuss the job the officials did without laying blame on them for the outcome.

They missed some obvious calls. Like the block in the back. Mizzou made an illegal substitution and they did not call it. Mizzou subbed on their two point conversion try and when we tried to sub, which we are supposed to be given time to sub, we were called for an illegal substitution. They missed an obvious delay of game on Mizzou. Those are easy check off calls. If they can't make those, I don't have much faith in their ability to make the tough, speed of the game calls.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/24/2010, 01:59 AM
That one ref looked exactly like Bob Newhart.

I kept waiting for him to say moo goo gai pan.

TahoeSOONER
10/24/2010, 06:51 AM
The leading with helmet call was terrible and the onside looked good at the stadium. We looked onside to me on the jumbotron and it seemed like it traveled ten yards but I only got one replay at the game.

VA Sooner
10/24/2010, 06:59 AM
Some calls either way but we lost against a good team whose lines (both o-line and d-line) we couldn't stop and we also helped them out with turnovers.

OU-HSV
10/24/2010, 07:45 AM
I'm not about to complain about the refs, we lost because we weren't ready to play. We lost because of dumb turnovers. We lost because we couldn't play consistently on either side of the ball. We lost because Mizzou is currently a better football team than us and they were better coached to play against us than we were against them. Plain and simple.
It's pretty much what's scared me about OUr team all season, inconsistent play on both sides of the ball. At times our O looks all world...as does our D. But the problem is "at times" doesn't win football games. If we expect to see this squad win out, or win the tough games/road games left on the schedule, they better plan to play consistently.

budbarrybob
10/24/2010, 08:02 AM
Exactly! I was sick and tired of watching the ref's blow our D-line back 6 yards off the ball and holes so wide that Mangino could get 8 yrds before being touched. They were also encouraging our LB's to run upfield on the outside while the play was between the tackles.... Bob should file a formal protest for the injustices that were blatantly allowed to happen. :rolleyes:

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 09:04 AM
The leading with helmet call was terrible and the onside looked good at the stadium. We looked onside to me on the jumbotron and it seemed like it traveled ten yards but I only got one replay at the game.

Yeah, being at the stadium it's hard to tell cause I didn't get good replays but these are the only two that I was curious about. Well and the facemask no call on Finch, we scored on that drive anyways. I'm just sick of the refs trying to protect the players that it get's in the way of the game. Carter's "leading with the helmet" call was just a tackle. Do the refs make that call if not for all that talk about it in the NFL this week?

SoonerBorn
10/24/2010, 09:47 AM
The attempted onside kick confused me, too. Seemed like if we jumped offside we should have to re-kick - no opportunity to decline the penalty. Then, I remembered how Wisconsin was able to run out the first half clock against Penn State that way, so I'm guessing there was a rules change in the last few years to address it:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 10:05 AM

I don't see how anyone could dispute the leading with the helmet call. It was almost textbook.

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:30 AM
Refs were Mizzou grad-assistants...

PalmBeachSooner
10/24/2010, 10:41 AM
I am more agitated about the missed block in the back on Travis during their kickoff return for a TD.

I saw that too. I think the game could have turned out different if they start the game deep in their territory instead of a 7 point lead.

kevpks
10/24/2010, 11:13 AM
I just wish refs in general would make up their minds about what plays warrant a review. There are close plays they don't look twice at and obvious plays they spend ten minutes on. Let's just go to the NFL replay system already.

HolaKyle
10/24/2010, 11:19 AM
I would say a missed call was pushing their runner into the endzone. His progress had obviously stopped, and then their lineman pushed him into the endzone.

I would traditionally say this wouldn't matter because they would probably score, but we were able to stop them on previous attempts at the goaline.

And I agree on the delay of game. Kirk even mentioned it during the broadcast that one previously was missed.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 11:24 AM
Refs always allow that pushing into the endzone; it almost seems like a tradition or something. The only time I've seen them call illegal assistance is if a player is in *front* of the runner and then grabs the runner and *pulls* them forward. Almost like a form of holding.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 11:27 AM
I don't see how anyone could dispute the leading with the helmet call. It was almost textbook.

The flag wasn't thrown until the guy wasn't getting up. Seems to me the ref made the call because the dude looked shook up. Of course I was at the game and only saw live and a crappy replay on the big screen so who knows. Just seems like if they were concerned about safety they would have called that neck twisting face mask on Finch that was right in front of the ref.

btk108
10/24/2010, 11:53 AM
I'm going to bitch about the no call on the opening kickoff. Watch the replay close, their return guy got sprung by a block in the back.

But that didn't cost us the game, still sucked though.

Leroy Lizard
10/24/2010, 12:25 PM
If we had managed to win, this same thread would appear on the Tigers' boards. "OU held all night and they almost never called it..."

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 12:26 PM
I thought they were about average....which is the norm. Plenty of blown calls but they could throw a flag on every play if they follow the letter of the rules.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 12:57 PM
The flag wasn't thrown until the guy wasn't getting up. Seems to me the ref made the call because the dude looked shook up. Of course I was at the game and only saw live and a crappy replay on the big screen so who knows. Just seems like if they were concerned about safety they would have called that neck twisting face mask on Finch that was right in front of the ref.

Just because the flag comes late doesn't mean it's a bad call - maybe it got caught in his pants for a second. I see that happen a lot. To the refs credit they huddled after the play to make sure another ref didn't see something else.
The replay was extremely damning - they got it right. Missing the call on Finch has nothing to do with a different play.

stoopified
10/24/2010, 02:06 PM
Nothing worth discussing.

Leroy Lizard
10/24/2010, 02:15 PM
Only those teams that never make mistakes have a right to complain about officiating.

Exceptions: When calls are extraordinarily egregious. But those are rare.

Cornfed
10/24/2010, 02:19 PM
I think they called an even game, they missed stuff both ways.

They ignored holding by both lines, and they allways added an extra ball length to the "close spots".

TigerNuts
10/24/2010, 02:33 PM
Just seems like if they were concerned about safety they would have called that neck twisting face mask on Finch that was right in front of the ref.

If I'm thinking of the same play as you are (the one on the sideline?), that was not a facemask. I re-watched it several times b/c I thought the same thing, but he pull him by his shoulder pads, not the facemask.

TooSoon
10/24/2010, 02:44 PM
If we had managed to win, this same thread would appear on the Tigers' boards. "OU held all night and they almost never called it..."

True. There are fans here (and everywhere, I'm sure) who have the philosophy that only two possibilities exist: We won, or we were screwed by the refs.

Leroy Lizard
10/24/2010, 02:58 PM
Only sissies like Horn fans complain about officiating after a loss.

GKeeper316
10/24/2010, 03:03 PM
That was an incomplete pass. The guy barely hit the ground before the ball came loose. He didn't make a "football move".

tucking the ball is a "football move". he had possession, got the **** kicked out of him and dropped the ball. shoulda been a fumble.

olevetonahill
10/24/2010, 03:16 PM
If I'm thinking of the same play as you are (the one on the sideline?), that was not a facemask. I re-watched it several times b/c I thought the same thing, but he pull him by his shoulder pads, not the facemask.

Thats what I saw also , Why dint they then call the "Horse collar " ?

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah, it was the one where we had holding too and was like third and fifteen. Fortunately Broyles pick it up on the next play.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 03:25 PM
Just because the flag comes late doesn't mean it's a bad call - maybe it got caught in his pants for a second. I see that happen a lot. To the refs credit they huddled after the play to make sure another ref didn't see something else.
The replay was extremely damning - they got it right. Missing the call on Finch has nothing to do with a different play.

You probably know better than me, but seemed clean to me at the time.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 03:27 PM
tucking the ball is a "football move". he had possession, got the **** kicked out of him and dropped the ball. shoulda been a fumble.

well, the booth had plenty of time and a perfect replay to call it, so it could only be a missed interpretation. I'm ignorant on the definition of "a football move" as far as what the refs are taught to look for, so I only guess the got it right according to their training. There is no way they didn't see what happened.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 03:28 PM
You probably know better than me, but seemed clean to me at the time.

Don't take my word if you have access to the slow motion replay. I didn't see what happened live either as it happened too fast.

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 03:31 PM
You can grab them from the side, the horse collar rule is usually called when the tackler grabs the runner from behind inside the shoulder pads and comes down on top of the legs when dragging them down. It was implemented to reduce the leg injuries like T.O. had after a Roy Williams tackle, a tackle from the side usually doesn't land on the legs like one from behind.

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 03:34 PM
well, the booth had plenty of time and a perfect replay to call it, so it could only be a missed interpretation. I'm ignorant on the definition of "a football move" as far as what the refs are taught to look for, so I only guess the got it right according to their training. There is no way they didn't see what happened.
Hence part of the problem, a "football move" is such a vague criteria that it's interpretation is wide open to whatever they like.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 03:37 PM
On the fumble/incomplete ruling, I invite folks to take the "homer test". Lets say the ball comes out and their other receiver picks it up and runs it into the endzone. The replay official overturns it by calling it incomplete and instead of getting a TD, Mizzou is punting on 4th and long. Is it still a bad call? ;)

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2010, 03:40 PM
Hence part of the problem, a "football move" is such a vague criteria that it's interpretation is wide open to whatever they like.

I certainly agree if that is all there is in the rule book *and* there is no further training given to the refs on how they are supposed to interpret it. I don't know the answer to that.

silverwheels
10/24/2010, 06:14 PM

The refs and review booth got it right. It seems that only OU fans think it was a fumble.

10/24/2010, 06:21 PM
The refs and review booth got it right. It seems that only OU fans think it was a fumble.2 types of fans in college football: 1)SOONER fans 2) Sooner HATERS!

Leroy Lizard
10/24/2010, 06:25 PM
On the fumble/incomplete ruling, I invite folks to take the "homer test". Lets say the ball comes out and their other receiver picks it up and runs it into the endzone. The replay official overturns it by calling it incomplete and instead of getting a TD, Mizzou is punting on 4th and long. Is it still a bad call? ;)

That does tend to quiet complaints about officiating. :D

I have my own test: What was my first reaction?

When it came to the pass interference call, my instant reaction was, "Crap that is probably going to get flagged." It was. Therefore, the penalty is probably justified.

When it came to the fumble, plenty of Sooner posters were acknowledging that the refs were probably going to call it an incomplete pass. That is almost a dead giveaway.

I think the refs got the right call on both occasions. I don't think they truly blew a call except for possibly Carter's helmet-to-helmet, and technically they were probably justified there too.

Reffing was solid. We lost. If we had to play the game again, I wouldn't mind the same crew officiating.

Leroyt
10/24/2010, 07:08 PM
Seemed like the non-fumble was one where they'd be called idiots either way - looked like a catch in slo-mo, but the slow down helped it. The helmet to helmet, though, hard to argue that one imho.

TigerNuts
10/24/2010, 07:50 PM

Do they have a "horse collar" penalty in college? I thought that was just the NFL.

And, really, we had a hold of the front of his pads, not the collar. I think it was just one of those weird plays that looked worse than it was.

sooneron
10/24/2010, 07:56 PM
Securing the ball is NOT a "football move".

Leroy Lizard
10/24/2010, 08:02 PM
Do they have a "horse collar" penalty in college? I thought that was just the NFL.

Banned in college too. But whatever. A good team doesn't need a horse collar penalty to help it win.

SoonerMarkVA
10/24/2010, 08:39 PM

The league refs seem to have come to a consensus that they are blind to defenders wearing #44. Beal is getting held consistently, and no one in black & white seems to see a thing.

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 08:54 PM

And, really, we had a hold of the front of his pads, not the collar. I think it was just one of those weird plays that looked worse than it was.

Banned in college too. But whatever. A good team doesn't need a horse collar penalty to help it win.
Yep, it was implemented the year after the NFL implemented it.