PDA

View Full Version : If Finch gets Demarco's reps, does OU win?

Dale Rich
10/23/2010, 11:35 PM
It's obvious to me that Finch is better. Not only that, he is better than Demarco as a Freshman. I think he would have been the difference in this ugly game.

StoopTroup
10/23/2010, 11:36 PM
It's obvious to me that Finch is better. Not only that, he is better than Demarco as a Freshman. I think he would have been the difference in this ugly game.

You don't know **** about football huh?

BoomerSooner, esq.
10/23/2010, 11:37 PM
SERIOUSLY, do you SERIOUSLY think that it was Murray or the lack of Finch that lost us this game. Sleep on it and think about what you just said

yankee
10/23/2010, 11:38 PM
KW shoulda stuck with finch in the backfield and split murray out wide...we gashed mizzou on that drive. that way we take full advantage of finch's speed and full advantage of murray's dynamic playmaking.

MyT Oklahoma
I'd like to see Finch get more calls but that wouldn't have made the difference toight. Our players didn't execute on special teams, on defense because they spent too much time on the field and on offense other than our running game.

Finch is a talent but one man cannot carry a team. The rest of the team has to step up and make things happen and tonight they didn't.

TXBOOMER
Can Finch play fu**ing LB or DT?

silverwheels
Dale was banned at OUInsider for being either a mod troll and getting found out or a moron, or both. It's just best to ignore him. Or her.

soonercastor
10/23/2010, 11:44 PM
yeah let's play a freshman over a senior on the road in pressure on the road. Makes perfect sense. Finch is good and his time will come.

Crucifax Autumn
10/23/2010, 11:44 PM
Moron.

agoo758
10/23/2010, 11:45 PM
This would be a good thread for me collier and JROD to jack........ COllier, JROD, im looking at you! :pop:

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2010, 11:46 PM
holy crap!!! this thread sucks!!!

Okie35
10/23/2010, 11:47 PM
Demarco always looks slow on turf but to answer your question what does that have to do w/ the turnovers? *Delete Me*

sortiz1965
10/23/2010, 11:47 PM
With Finch in the backfield and Murray out of the slot yes, our offense was clicking on all cylinders. I don't know why KW got away from that. I realize Demarco is a great back, but Finch is a STUD. I am completely flummoxed with KW's playcalling.

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2010, 11:48 PM
bench Murray!!!11!!!!11!!!!!11!!!!!!

sooner ngintunr
10/23/2010, 11:49 PM
fire KW!!!11!!!11!!!111!!!!

soonercastor
10/23/2010, 11:49 PM
With Finch in the backfield and Murray out of the slot yes, our offense was clicking on all cylinders. I don't know why KW got away from that. I realize Demarco is a great back, but Finch is a STUD. I am completely flummoxed with KW's playcalling.

they did that because Broyles was on the sidelines...Yes it worked but it was an improvisation and I doubt it was a huge part of the gameplan; since Broyles got back and he was "OK," we went back to our normal offense.

Dale Rich
10/23/2010, 11:50 PM
I'd like to see Finch get more calls but that wouldn't have made the difference toight. Our players didn't execute on special teams, on defense because they spent too much time on the field and on offense other than our running game.

Finch is a talent but one man cannot carry a team. The rest of the team has to step up and make things happen and tonight they didn't.

We only lost by 9 points. Anyone of several things could have made the difference. I can't help but think that Finch could have tipped the scales. He was playing great.

agoo758
10/23/2010, 11:53 PM
We only lost by 9 points. Anyone of several things could have made the difference. I can't help but think that Finch could have tipped the scales. He was playing great.

Hey Dale Rich, any relation to Richie Rich?:pop:

StoopTroup
10/23/2010, 11:54 PM
Watching DM cut his hand prior to kickoff and Broyles with tape all over his ankle and then suddenly switch to putting your fate in the hands of even more Freshmen and your asking for trouble. Finch is going to be good unless he gets pushed to play as a Starter...then I'd say it's 50/50 whether he plays the rest of the year. Having Murray to lean on gives a guy like Finch a lot of confidence. When he runs...I see a young guy who is building confidence on every snap. I don't see him replacing a guy who has broken records at OU.

StoopTroup
10/23/2010, 11:56 PM
Putting all your hopes and dreams on a freshman on the road at night in the rain sounds smart.

85sooners
10/24/2010, 12:19 AM
:mad:

noobalicious
10/24/2010, 12:21 AM
Last time I checked Murray didn't throw two interceptions. Murray didn't fail on the opening kickoff coverage. And Murray didn't miss a chip shot field goal.

Sounds to me like Murray wasn't the reason we lost.

brainpimp
10/24/2010, 12:24 AM
Last time I checked Murray didn't throw two interceptions. Murray didn't fail on the opening kickoff coverage. And Murray didn't miss a chip shot field goal.

That is quite enough logic out of you! Any further bouts with logic and thought will be dealt with severely.
:D

Dale Rich
10/24/2010, 12:25 AM

He also wasn't the reason we won. Finch is the better player. I understand why Bob didn't put him out there, but I believe he gives the team a spark.

noobalicious
10/24/2010, 12:26 AM
He also wasn't the reason we won.

We won? Sweet! :D

tcrb
10/24/2010, 12:34 AM

You're just as retarded as the other Dale Rich.

gaylordfan1
10/24/2010, 12:37 AM
I love Murray, the kid has came through for us 10 times over. But tonight, our spark was Finch. Our offense stepped up with Finch. I'm not saying we should have taken Murray out the entire game... But I was hoping for more of Finch. Especially in the 4th Q. Does everyone at least agree that Finch has more of a knockout threat as oppose to Murray...mainly in long distance situations. At least put them both out there.

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 12:39 AM
We still likely don't win if Finch plays more and Murray less, but am I inclined to say Finch is the better back carrying the ball...well, yeah I am.

...and admittedly this is based on a small sample of work.

gaylordfan1
10/24/2010, 12:39 AM
I will say this before people judge me... They are two different backs. Murray fights for tough yards... and yes can make plays. Finch shows to have the burst in the holes and can break one deep. Just want to put that out there. And late in the game what back do you want? I do see the point about putting a freshman in this type of situation.

noobalicious
10/24/2010, 12:41 AM
If OU's defensive line doesn't get shoved around like a bunch of rag dolls and let huge running lanes open up, does OU win?

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 12:42 AM
If OU's defensive line doesn't get shoved around like a bunch of rag dolls and let huge running lanes open up, does OU win?

Sadly, if they'd only gotten pushed back a little further they might have shored up our pass defense over the middle. :D

noobalicious
10/24/2010, 12:44 AM
Sadly, if they'd only gotten pushed back a little further they might have shored up our pass defense over the middle. :D

bahahaha now THAT's funny

tulsaoilerfan
10/24/2010, 01:30 AM
Can Finch play fu**ing LB or DT?

Well **** he couldn't have been much worse than what was out there, could he?:P

Fraggle145
10/24/2010, 02:20 AM
All I am saying is that Finch got us there to get ahead and then all of a sudden he's not in the game anymore? WTF? not saying it wouldve won us the game, but he was obviously our best chance. IMHO. They didnt even give him a chance in the 4th qtr...

Widescreen
10/24/2010, 02:31 AM
Our offensive staff has pretty much decided that we're going to ride Demarco Murray all year. Finch will only be a role player. The only reason he got as much PT as he did tonight was because Broyles got dinged and so they moved Murray to the slot. If Broyles doesn't have to head to the sidelines, I doubt you would've seen Finch in on more than 3-4 plays.

NormanPride
10/24/2010, 03:53 AM
Six runs in the second half. It wasn't that Finch needed D$'s carries, it was that he needed SOME carries. Of all the games... Every other game we complained because Wilson ran it into the line late. The running game was working - why stop?

TahoeSOONER
10/24/2010, 06:44 AM
The play before Landry hit the DE for the INT, Broyles off the field, Finch marched us down with some dynamic running, and Demarco in the slot. Demarco caught a pass turned around wide open and fell straight down untouched. One, why is Broyles off the field but that turned into a huge trip and another redzone turnover. 300 yards of offense on the first half and losing, strange.

VA Sooner
10/24/2010, 07:03 AM
Not being able to protect Landry better so he could get the ball out to receivers and running backs was the problem last night. Mizzou d-line was pushing past our o-line each time... should have changed play-calling and let them over-pursue and cover with more screens, dump-offs, shovel passes and swing-out passes.

And our d-line could not plug the middle and the ends could not penetrate with the exception of one Beal sack.

OklaPony
10/24/2010, 07:06 AM
I was under the impression that Finch doesn't know the whole playbook yet.

okienole3
10/24/2010, 09:18 AM
Demarco is a very dependable Cadillac. Finch is a Ferrari.

btb916
10/24/2010, 09:26 AM
KW shoulda stuck with finch in the backfield and split murray out wide...we gashed mizzou on that drive. that way we take full advantage of finch's speed and full advantage of murray's dynamic playmaking.

I think late in the second half when Broyles was basically a non-factor we should have gone back to this formation. It alone wouldn't have won the game for us. But it may have helped a little on offense.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 09:28 AM
I was under the impression that Finch doesn't know the whole playbook yet.

This is the only reason why he shouldn't have been out there more. I'm not saying take Demarco off the field, but anyone who thinks Finch shouldn't have been out there more is crazy, he was gashing them pretty much every run. If anyone has stats, what was each of these guys total yards and yards per carry?

BYRK
10/24/2010, 09:53 AM

I'll answer your question... Win? maybe! But the same guys on this thread must think just like KW. They must have seen DM tearing it up all game. Finch is better at running the ball period!

Soonerus
10/24/2010, 10:06 AM
We need DeMarko and Finch...

sortiz1965
10/24/2010, 10:57 AM
I will say this before people judge me... They are two different backs. Murray fights for tough yards... and yes can make plays. Finch shows to have the burst in the holes and can break one deep. Just want to put that out there. And late in the game what back do you want? I do see the point about putting a freshman in this type of situation.

They are two great backs. It's up to the coaches to devise a game plan that gets BOTH those guys on the field. That's what I would like to have seen.

sortiz1965
10/24/2010, 10:59 AM
This is the only reason why he shouldn't have been out there more. I'm not saying take Demarco off the field, but anyone who thinks Finch shouldn't have been out there more is crazy, he was gashing them pretty much every run. If anyone has stats, what was each of these guys total yards and yards per carry?

Finch: 9 carries, 6.1 yards per carry.
Murray: 12 carries, 4.1 yards per carry.

Bottom line, we got away from the running game. Stay with the run game and OU wins this game. Best way to neutralize a hot QB when D-line is generating no pass rush is to keep him off the damn field. OU has the players to do that.

landrun
10/24/2010, 11:59 AM
yeah let's play a freshman over a senior on the road in pressure on the road. Makes perfect sense. Finch is good and his time will come.

That would have actually been a great idea since he was averaging almost 10 yards a carry.

jumperstop
10/24/2010, 12:01 PM
That would have actually been a great idea since he was averaging almost 10 yards a carry.

6.1 according to the guy above

Unfrozen Caveman Sooner
10/24/2010, 12:10 PM

More this.

Dale Rich
10/24/2010, 12:36 PM
Murray is good on short yardage situations, other than that, Finch should be out there full time. Madu has no business being on the field (he has like 6-7 drops this year). It's kind of like when Peterson went to the Vikings. They had a decent veteran back, but Peterson was special, therefore Peterson got the carries.

mightysooner
10/24/2010, 12:42 PM
Finch can't play more because, by his OWN words, he's not conditioned well enough physically to do so from his injury, and he doesn't have full command of the playbook yet. You can't throw a freshmen in there with a big workload who hasn't got his physical conditioning up to par or command of the playbook. It would be a disaster.

Dale Rich
10/24/2010, 12:48 PM
Finch can't play more because, by his OWN words, he's not conditioned well enough physically to do so from his injury, and he doesn't have full command of the playbook yet. You can't throw a freshmen in there with a big workload who hasn't got his physical conditioning up to par or command of the playbook. It would be a disaster.

We gashed TX in '02 (I believe) with basically one play from Q. Mizzou did not have an answer for Finch's even limited playbook, and Finch out of condition is still a gamebreaker.

SoonerMarkVA
10/24/2010, 12:49 PM

While Dale Rich is a fool, this is really spot on. I posted last night, having Finch, Murray, and Broyles on the field at the same time gives us our best weapons in their most effective positions. Bring back Josh Norman's H-back position for Murray. Murray in a little bit of space is much more effective than behind our porous run blocking.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 12:49 PM
Finch out of condition is still a gamebreaker.

When will he be out of condition?

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 12:55 PM

I'll agree with you on this. Pushing some of these young guys in these big game might not have been the wise thing but Madu is unpredictable unfortunately and the Coaches like Finch and felt he game them what they need to give Murray a break. The folks who want to sideline DM and go with Finch are crazy and haven't listened to anything other than their buddies tell them where the bandwagon is parked.

We're pretty banged up right now. I really hoped we'd be able to play through the injuries this year but it is apparent that that isn't going to happen and we have to continue to put kids who might not be ready in to play before they should.

cyclonesooner
10/24/2010, 01:01 PM
Possibly a game full of reps might have made a difference, but I doubt if he could have made up for the large amount on incompetence on special teams, pitiful tackling and bone-headed coaching decisions.

mightysooner
10/24/2010, 01:19 PM
I'll agree with you on this. Pushing some of these young guys in these big game might not have been the wise thing but Madu is unpredictable unfortunately and the Coaches like Finch and felt he game them what they need to give Murray a break. The folks who want to sideline DM and go with Finch are crazy and haven't listened to anything other than their buddies tell them where the bandwagon is parked.

We're pretty banged up right now. I really hoped we'd be able to play through the injuries this year but it is apparent that that isn't going to happen and we have to continue to put kids who might not be ready in to play before they should.

Right. Sidelining Murray is just goofy in spite of his inconsistent play between the tackles. He's good out in space like a big Reggie Bush but I'm not sold on his effectiveness running out of the backfield. Just the same, Finch deserves to play but he has to get his conditioning where it needs to be, and his command of the offense where it needs to be first, before he can assume a larger role....and he will.

mightysooner
10/24/2010, 01:22 PM
We gashed TX in '02 (I believe) with basically one play from Q. Mizzou did not have an answer for Finch's even limited playbook, and Finch out of condition is still a gamebreaker.

Finch has proven he's possibly a dynamic player opposing teams don't have enough film on yet and that's all he's proven. Will he be great? Sure looks that way. But he's not there yet.

Unfrozen Caveman Sooner
10/24/2010, 01:44 PM
Pass option with Finch doing his best Q imitation with the shuttle pass while having Murray in for the screen or swing, throw to the guy the safeties don't key on.

ocsooner
10/24/2010, 01:56 PM
they did that because Broyles was on the sidelines...Yes it worked but it was an improvisation and I doubt it was a huge part of the gameplan; since Broyles got back and he was "OK," we went back to our normal offense.

I understand why we didn't stay with that (that's a big adjustment in the middle of a quarter (but an adjustment during half????)), but can you imagine Broyles and Murray as WR and Finch in the backfield more? I would think that after the coaches look at the tape, they might try to work some plays up with that lineup. If a defense had to look out for Broyles AND DM all the looking around the monster OL and DL guys for Finch...

soonercastor
10/24/2010, 02:01 PM
I understand why we didn't stay with that (that's a big adjustment in the middle of a quarter (but an adjustment during half????)), but can you imagine Broyles and Murray as WR and Finch in the backfield more? I would think that after the coaches look at the tape, they might try to work some plays up with that lineup. If a defense had to look out for Broyles AND DM all the looking around the monster OL and DL guys for Finch...

well in a big game like that on the road you don't want to try with experiments. Maybe we'll see that in the future

ocsooner
10/24/2010, 02:05 PM
well in a big game like that on the road you don't want to try with experiments. Maybe we'll see that in the future

Kind of what I was saying there. I really hope that he coaches see what we have seen here (and maybe slip us a bonus for being so observant!)

stoopified
10/24/2010, 02:18 PM
You don't know **** about football huh?:D

lasooner123
10/24/2010, 03:38 PM
I agree with the premise. Especially Finch in the backfield and DM in the slot. We need some explosiveness on offense and as of right now that consists of Broyles. Everyone else is a 'plodder'.

But then again if we get no DT or LB play to speak of then we are in for trouble.

bluedogok
10/24/2010, 03:46 PM
Broyles wasn't explosive last night either with the bum ankle.