PDA

View Full Version : Met Bob Stoops at OU Childrens Hospital on Thursday

engineer24
10/22/2010, 09:03 PM
I work at OU Children's Hospital in the pediatric hematology/oncology unit.

Bob Stoops came by with his wife on Thursday. He knows all the nurses and doctors by name, always has a smile on his face. He spends a good amount of time seeing every child. Some of them are OSU fans (we get kids from all over the state) and he always accepts a little good-natured ribbing from the rivalry fans.

He never makes a big deal out of it. There are never any cameras around. He made a challenge on TV on the last game with his "special spectators" program, many of which are kids w/ cancer. His challenge is that coaches nastionwide take some time to mentor and be with sick children.

You guys need to understand that many of these kids (especially in the bone marrow transplant unit) are extremely sick--many of them are dying, some within days, others within the next few months.

Bob Stoops has done this since he's been at OU, he obviously has a heart for sick kids. Even with a big game against Mizzou coming up on Saturday, he took time off 3 days before the game to brighten up the kids' day.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2010, 09:05 PM
We are blessed to have a coach like him at OU.

soonercastor
10/22/2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah it's incredible. Imagine how much this means to these kids. They had a segment about something in the same direction last game, A FEW HOURS before the game he was spending time with the kids. My heart goes to those kids and God bless Stoops for what he's doing, there is much more than football in life.

SunnySooner
10/22/2010, 09:09 PM
I've heard stories like this about him before--rarely on national TV. He doesn't do it for the publicity, unlike some other coaches who shall remain nameless. He just does it because he wants to, and I hope other coaches do pick up the challenge. Just another reason, I heart Bob!!! (and Carol!)

LoveDemSooners
10/22/2010, 09:14 PM
He seems really cool, I want to meet Stoops :mad:

BoomerSooner, esq.
10/22/2010, 09:18 PM
Can never hear enough stories like this about any coach. I think the whole university is proud to have him as a coach. Not only because of his great football mind, but more because of the way he carries himself off the field.

GottaHavePride
10/22/2010, 09:30 PM
He seems really cool, I want to meet Stoops :mad:

Well, if you weren't in Tulsa you could wander around campus corner and run into him at Cafe Plaid and say "Hey, Coach."

Norman > Tulsa. ;)

OUEngr1990
10/22/2010, 09:31 PM
Wow, very cool

rainiersooner
10/22/2010, 09:48 PM
Just another reason, I heart Bob!!! (and Carol!)

You love Pete Carol??? What's wrong with you!! :eek:

delhalew
10/22/2010, 09:53 PM
you know how Coach Stoops can be short with people. That is just his manner when he is in public. On the radio call in show someone asked him about it, and he was almost rude, if you don't know Stoops. He basically said he preferred to keep it private.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2010, 11:33 PM
Bob rules.

BigBoomerInBigD
10/22/2010, 11:52 PM
Bob rules.

Word.

LoveDemSooners
10/22/2010, 11:54 PM
Well, if you weren't in Tulsa you could wander around campus corner and run into him at Cafe Plaid and say "Hey, Coach."

Norman > Tulsa. ;)

Yeah...Tulsa sucks :(

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2010, 11:57 PM

Bob Stoops came by with his wife on Thursday. He knows all the nurses and doctors by name, always has a smile on his face. He spends a good amount of time seeing every child. Some of them are OSU fans (we get kids from all over the state) and he always accepts a little good-natured ribbing from the rivalry fans.

He never makes a big deal out of it. There are never any cameras around. He made a challenge on TV on the last game with his "special spectators" program, many of which are kids w/ cancer. His challenge is that coaches nastionwide take some time to mentor and be with sick children.

You guys need to understand that many of these kids (especially in the bone marrow transplant unit) are extremely sick--many of them are dying, some within days, others within the next few months.

Bob Stoops has done this since he's been at OU, he obviously has a heart for sick kids. Even with a big game against Mizzou coming up on Saturday, he took time off 3 days before the game to brighten up the kids' day.

My sister spent the better part of 4 years in and out of OU Children's. She has Wegener's Gramtomulosis which shut down her kidneys so she was a renal and eventually a transplant patient.

Anyway, I can count no fewer than half-a-dozen trips to the hospital that we were told we had just missed Coach Stoops who had been up there with the kids. I always hated that I never got a chance to meet him, but it seemed like he was there almost as much as we were.

The man is as classy as they come.

Tailwind
10/23/2010, 02:05 AM
Amen to that!

oudavid1
10/23/2010, 02:47 AM
What a great guy, thanks for sharing.

agoo758
10/23/2010, 02:58 AM

It is great to see people who do this because it's the right thing to do, and not to bring cameras around and draw attention to himself. Like a certain quarterback who used to play in the sunshine state.

olevetonahill
10/23/2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah it's incredible. Imagine how much this means to these kids. They had a segment about something in the same direction last game, A FEW HOURS before the game he was spending time with the kids. My heart goes to those kids and God bless Stoops for what he's doing, there is much more than football in life.

This and what else?:confused:

soonercastor
10/23/2010, 07:45 AM
This and what else?:confused:

some of the things on that list wouldn't be appropriate for this thread ;)

olevetonahill
10/23/2010, 07:49 AM
some of the things on that list wouldn't be appropriate for this thread ;)

You must be a youngster, Ya can Fit anything around Football. Hell Bob even does it. :cool:

TXBOOMER
10/23/2010, 09:33 AM
There is a little girl that has went through hell with cancer over the last couple of years from my home town. Her family loves OSU and her brother went there. But Stoops has been by her side the whole time. You rarely hear this kind of thing about Stoops. As far as I am concerend Stoops is truly a great man and role model for us all. We are lucky to have him!

mingobee
10/23/2010, 09:43 AM
My friends niece has been in children's for a little over three months now and Bob comes by regularly. He even came by the Thursday before OU/TX.