PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops change of direction

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 02:42 PM
I was just remembering the story that came out last year about Stoops approaching the Pacific Institute to help the team with the mental side of things. Also, the hiring of Willie Martinez, and Stoops admitting that WM did things differently that helped the secondary a little more. Then we have most of the freshmen class, made up high character kids with excellent G.P.A's.

Without much notice and very little fanfare, Bob Stoops started to rebuild the foundations of his program. I believe the Pacific Institute help is probably the biggest change he has made. I was just wondering what you guys think about this?

Collier11
10/22/2010, 02:44 PM
I dont know if the mental stuff helped or not, I assume it couldnt hurt. I think it says alot about Stoops though that he is able to constantly evolve, most coaches are too stubborn to. His change in philosophy in recruiting has been a big deal

fadada1
10/22/2010, 02:48 PM
got my masters in sport psychology from UF in '02. BUT, while i was looking for grad schools, while still at OU, they hired a guy named bob stoops. knowing my interest in sport psychology, i asked for, and subsequently got, a private meeting with the newly coronated coach stoops - about 45 minutes worth.

asked him his views on sport psychology, how he motivated players, how he was motivated while he was a player, work ethic, etc....

said, "i've never used a sport psychologist with my players... and never will. i know my players and how to motivate them."

fair enough.

interesting how times have changed. glad to see our program moving forward and gaining an advantage in any (legal) way possible.

Collier11
10/22/2010, 02:49 PM
again, impressive that he is willing to evolve

KantoSooner
10/22/2010, 02:50 PM
I'd hold them to pretty punishing standards of proof that whatever it is they do actually works.

I am not a great fan of consulting firms.

If Bob feels it's good, I'm good with that - it's his job afterall, to manager the team.

I would think that the more important thing he's borrowed from Saban has been the running the different strings against each other to maximize practice reps. Builds depth.

Collier11
10/22/2010, 02:52 PM
I would think that the more important thing he's borrowed from Saban has been the running the different strings against each other to maximize practice reps. Builds depth.

Great Point, I had forgotten about that. Seems alot of practice time was wasted for a lot of players previously, now they are all involved

stoopified
10/22/2010, 02:59 PM
Everything is great as long as you are winning.The spam hits the fan when you lose and all of a sudden everybody asks why do we do this and why don't we do that? As always I TRUST BOB AND HIS STAFF EVEN IF I DON'T ALWAYS AGREE OR UNDERSTAND.

cccasooner2
10/22/2010, 03:02 PM
I was just remembering the story that came out last year about Stoops approaching the Pacific Institute to help the team with the mental side of things.

I believe the Pacific Institute help is probably the biggest change he has made. I was just wondering what you guys think about this?

You on their payroll? Straight out of "The Longest Yard" (the orig. anyway, didn't see remake).

"Imagine if you will........" ;)

cvsooner
10/22/2010, 03:29 PM
Read something on one of the Missouri media sites about this is the first season they've used a sports psychologist too....he's their retired track coach. Hey, whatever works.

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 03:35 PM
You on their payroll? Straight out of "The Longest Yard" (the orig. anyway, didn't see remake).

"Imagine if you will........" ;)

Nah, I am just someone who basically change my life by thinking differently. The bible says, "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." You think its coincidence for us to lose all those close games and then the next year, come out with a close victory in 4 out 6 games. Even if we consider this luck, you have to realize that plays were made to help seal these games.

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 03:46 PM
Read something on one of the Missouri media sites about this is the first season they've used a sports psychologist too....he's their retired track coach. Hey, whatever works.

****...we're ****ed!!!!

ouduckhunter
10/22/2010, 03:53 PM
again, impressive that he is willing to evolve

ITA here! If you aren't willing to evolve and take advantage of new technologies, schemes, procedures, ways of thinking, etc., you get left behind in a cloud of dust by your competitors. Trying new things doesn't mean it's all going to work, but at least you can then make an informed decison to keep what's working for you, and get rid of what didn't.

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 03:54 PM
so what is the Pacific Institute??

slh1234
10/22/2010, 03:55 PM
ITA here! If you aren't willing to evolve and take advantage of new technologies, schemes, procedures, ways of thinking, etc., you get left behind in a cloud of dust by your competitors. Trying new things doesn't mean it's all going to work, but at least you can then make an informed decison to keep what's working for you, and get rid of what didn't.

My philosophy exactly!

slh1234
10/22/2010, 03:59 PM
NM

Jello Biafra
10/22/2010, 04:21 PM
i remember reading a story several years ago about how the olineman started going to a dojo(sp?) to speed up the hands of our lineman? anyone remember this? since that story we have put mutiple lineman in the nfl...i think hes got it down....

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 04:49 PM
pacific institute...anyone? bueler??

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/22/2010, 04:58 PM
South Harmon Institute of Technology or affectionately known as S.H.I.T.??

slh1234
10/22/2010, 05:01 PM

Isn't that the "Specialized High Intensity Training" that so many compaies give their employees?

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/22/2010, 05:09 PM
Isn't that the "Specialized High Intensity Training" that so many compaies give their employees?

So that's the real name of the "yearly check up training" my company made me waste the last week of my life in Houston for??? Touche'

slh1234
10/22/2010, 05:09 PM
pacific institute...anyone? bueler??

I went searching for it again.

I don't think it is actually called "Pacific Institute" since that seems to be an environmental group of some sort: http://www.pacinst.org/

Searching for it, what seems to come closest is an institution called "Pacific Institute Group" the homepage of which I couldn't find, but I found references to them on coaching effectiveness and sports psychology. Here is the search URL: http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22Pacific+Institute+Group%22&src=ie9tr

I would like to hear more about who or what we are talking about here.

soonerinkaty
10/22/2010, 05:11 PM

Ask me about my wiener!

cccasooner2
10/22/2010, 05:52 PM
The "Stroke School" level 2 should attract some interest. :)

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 05:58 PM
I went searching for it again.

I don't think it is actually called "Pacific Institute" since that seems to be an environmental group of some sort: http://www.pacinst.org/

Searching for it, what seems to come closest is an institution called "Pacific Institute Group" the homepage of which I couldn't find, but I found references to them on coaching effectiveness and sports psychology. Here is the search URL: http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22Pacific+Institute+Group%22&src=ie9tr

I would like to hear more about who or what we are talking about here.

Here is a story on Pacific Institute

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops apparently has detected what is working around college football.

After struggling through a 7-5 record that was his worst regular-season mark during his 11-season tenure with the Sooners, Stoops apparently is looking for some answers.

One of the places he will turn after the season will be the Pacific Institute, a Seattle-based company that has conducted mental conditioning classes for Crimson Tide players since 2008.
Alabama's success has paved the way for the company's work with other teams, most notably Florida State and the Sooners in the future.

Alabama began using the Pacific Institute after coach Nick Saban's first Crimson Tide team went 7-6 in 2007 with 10 player arrests over 18 months. Saban uses several other outside speakers as part of his coaching "process" in an attempt to make his players successful citizens.

Stoops told Antowaine Richardson, a Pacific Institute instructor, that he had noticed what Saban's team has accomplished in the last two seasons.

"Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Richardson told the Birmingham News.

Earlier, the program had worked with USC and Washington.

The News spells out testimonials for the program from Alabama players, who noted that representatives have been with them throughout the season.

It's an interesting dynamic and building block towards building a program.

Oklahoma was seen as the cutting-edge model for other program not too many years ago.

But after the BCS losses and this season's disappointments, Stoops now is gravitating to the ideas of others to help him rebuild what he had.

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 06:00 PM
gracias

KantoSooner
10/22/2010, 06:07 PM
The News spells out testimonials for the program from Alabama players, who noted that representatives have been with them throughout the season.

Okay, parents in the group: you think having people 'with' you pretty constantly to encourage, advise, slap down when needed and otherwise play big brother might aid in overall behavior, focus and success?

Not rocket science, folks, these guys did, however, find a way to merchandise the big brother/big sister concept for beaucoup cash. Hats off to them.

King Barry's Back
10/22/2010, 08:06 PM
I dont know if the mental stuff helped or not, I assume it couldnt hurt. I think it says alot about Stoops though that he is able to constantly evolve, most coaches are too stubborn to. His change in philosophy in recruiting has been a big deal

I know less than nothing about the Pacific Institute, but Collier's point is on the mark.

Coach Stoops is in his second decade as a big time coach, he's owned his conference and won a title. He's old school and from conservative, Big 10, blue-collar-work-ethic roots.

It would be so easy, and so typical, for him to say to himself, "I'm doing this right. My way or the highway."

That every year he's trying to stay relevant, fresh and even cutting edge is a testament to his professionalism and humility.

I think he'll keep winning at Oklahoma for years more to come. I don't see him coaching (Paterno-style) at 84, but I don't see him leaving OU, either.

King Barry's Back
10/22/2010, 08:11 PM
Nah, I am just someone who basically change my life by thinking differently. The bible says, "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." You think its coincidence for us to lose all those close games and then the next year, come out with a close victory in 4 out 6 games. Even if we consider this luck, you have to realize that plays were made to help seal these games.

I'll go a step further. I just have a feeling in my gut from watching the Sooners over the years, that those Fiesta Bowl losses (and maybe a couple of the other BCS losses) were due to mental, emotional, attitudinal issues.

There was just a lot of crap going down with those prima donna players we had in here.

Those are exactly the kind of issues a sports psychologist can help you with.

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 08:27 PM
I heard stoops in a presser hestitate when asked if this team was closer than previous teams. He has seemed excited and confident since the spring if you ask me. Stuff like Demarco being the first to tell him, "Coach wait until you see Finch."; and Travis Lewis touting Corey Nelson should let the fans know that this is a true "TEAM" in every way. That may be why Reynolds was bounced so quick, when the atmosphere is healthy you must rid yourself of any taint.

Scott D
10/22/2010, 08:29 PM
you said taint

Collier11
10/22/2010, 08:30 PM
A cpl of things happened

1) Our teams often looked unprepared or less prepared in bowl games

2) I truly think the Bomar deal really hurt Stoops as he is a type of coach who trusts his players. I think it also really embarrassed him because he wants to be known as someone who runs a clean program

I think these are the two main reasons that we have seen this collection of changes

Scott D
10/22/2010, 08:31 PM
that and adonijah wanted to see jaz reynolds' taint.

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 08:33 PM
you said taint

websters

A trace of a bad or undesirable quality or substance: "the taint of corruption.

Collier11
10/22/2010, 08:34 PM
my taint is corrupted with dingle berries

Scott D
10/22/2010, 08:35 PM
adonijah, I know what it means sir.

collier, we know, jlew told us.

p.s. I dislike using emoticons.

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2010, 08:45 PM
adonijah, I know what it means sir.

collier, we know, jlew told us.

p.s. I dislike using emoticons.

:D I know...so is taint used in some gay way as well?

Scott D
10/22/2010, 09:05 PM
nah, it's a portion of one's body.

do a search for taint and dean...you'll be scarred for life.

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 10:17 PM
that taint fair...