PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Palm: "OU does not control own destiny"

tommieharris91
10/22/2010, 01:33 PM
Jerry Palm was on the Animal in OKC and Tulsa today. He says that an undefeated SEC team and an undefeated Oregon would play for the MNC if they won out, regardless of what any of the other current undefeateds do. He says that their superior ratings in the human polls will carry those two to the top 2 spots.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2010, 01:34 PM
Wonder if he knows that OU is ahead of any current SEC team in the human polls right now? Opps.

Oregon? Their computer ranking will fail them!

MoJoOkie
10/22/2010, 01:35 PM
That's assuming the humans don't become more impressed with OU as the season progresses. With our SOS, I figure winning out will move us up in the humans, and the computers.

The
10/22/2010, 01:36 PM
Makes sense.

Who in the SEC is going to go undefeated though?
Auburn still has LSU, Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama, plus the SEC CG.

LSU still has Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss and Arkansas.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2010, 01:38 PM
Makes sense.

Who in the SEC is going to go undefeated though?
Auburn still has LSU, Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama, plus the SEC CG.

LSU still has Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss and Arkansas.

It makes sense except for Oregon.

There is a reason they are not #1 in the BCS. their computer rankings suck and it wont get much better from here on out.

I hate to say it, but they will most likely lose to USC.

I also think they lose to Arizona as well. Oregon is a gimmick team with a gimmick offense.

StoopTroup
10/22/2010, 01:39 PM
Jerry Palm was on the Animal in OKC and Tulsa today. He says that an undefeated SEC team and an undefeated Oregon would play for the MNC if they won out, regardless of what any of the other current undefeateds do. He says that their superior ratings in the human polls will carry those two to the top 2 spots.

He's hoping LSU and/or Auburn stay undefeated and that Oregon will continue to get BCS love. It's possible I guess but I don't think any of the SEC teams will be undefeated and Oregon winning a game against teh kiffins still won't make them a lock at staying undefeated either.

Everyone who's watched NCAA Football knows how difficult it is for teams to stay undefeated...especially SEC teams.

The guy must have had a deadline to make and his editor has been riding his ***.

The
10/22/2010, 01:48 PM
It makes sense except for Oregon.

There is a reason they are not #1 in the BCS. their computer rankings suck and it wont get much better from here on out.

I hate to say it, but they will most likely lose to USC.

I also think they lose to Arizona as well. Oregon is a gimmick team with a gimmick offense.

If they go undefeated is a BIG IF. You could say the same about us really.

But if they do go undefeated, they are in, I would think.

StoopTroup
10/22/2010, 01:49 PM
If they go undefeated is a BIG IF. You could say the same about us really.

But if they do go undefeated, they are in, I would think.

That's true but we're all mostly homers except for the doom and gloomers. As far as they are concerned...we lost the season when we played USU in September.

fadada1
10/22/2010, 01:51 PM
RE-

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2010, 01:51 PM
No team controls their own destiny - the opponents always have a say.

fadada1
10/22/2010, 01:52 PM
TARD.

MoJoOkie
10/22/2010, 01:54 PM
That's true but we're all mostly homers except for the doom and gloomers. As far as they are concerned...we lost the season when we played USU in September. That right there is funny, no matter who you are. :D

tommieharris91
10/22/2010, 01:56 PM
Wonder if he knows that OU is ahead of any current SEC team in the human polls right now? Opps.

Oregon? Their computer ranking will fail them!

He sees LSU/Auburn leapfrogging us in a doomsday scenario. Also, both teams have to play Alabama sometime. The winner will improve their computer rankings, hurting ours at the same time.

Jacie
10/22/2010, 01:56 PM
The wild card in the three-undefeated-teams-at-the-end-of-the-season scenario are the voters in the two human polls. Some of them may choose to "punish" OU with a lower ranking (especially if one of the three is Auburn) to make up for the perceived slight to the tigers in 2004. If it does come down to a choice between OU and Auburn, that may be enough to tilt the votes away from the Sooners.

Other than that, the teams remaining on OU's schedule are as strong as Oregon's or the SEC teams. Playing an undefeated Missouri this week and a potentially undefeated OSU to wind up conference play is on par with who Auburn, LSU and Oregon must play, not to mention a conference championship game.

So unless the voters let emotion rather than reason rule, then the Sooners should have the inside track if they win out.

CobraKai
10/22/2010, 01:58 PM
So I guess he assumes the humans will leapfrog us with an undefeated SEC team? Last time the 2 undefeated teams were from the PAC 10, Big 12, and SEC it was the PAC 10 and Big 12 teams that played.

StoopTroup
10/22/2010, 02:00 PM
If we get punished and listed 3rd and we're still undefeated....I'll still be proud as hell of this team. Winning a BCS Bowl Game will be great even if our shot at #8 is manipulated away because of the voters.

fadada1
10/22/2010, 02:04 PM
auburn will get hurt... again, due to non-conference scheduling of high school teams: ark state, LA monroe, and UT chat. did they learn nothing from scheduling the citadel, and then claiming they should've been in the BCS champ game???

apparently not, as they scheduled "the citadel" 3 times this year.

rekamrettuB
10/22/2010, 02:10 PM
He might be right. Or he could be wrong.

cccasooner2
10/22/2010, 02:10 PM
auburn will get hurt... again, due to non-conference scheduling of high school teams: ark state, LA monroe, and UT chat. did they learn nothing from scheduling the citadel, and then claiming they should've been in the BCS champ game???

apparently not, as they scheduled "the citadel" 3 times this year.

Gotta get my eyes checked, I thought the title was Hairy Palm.

Mississippi Sooner
10/22/2010, 02:18 PM
If we get punished and listed 3rd and we're still undefeated....I'll still be proud as hell of this team. Winning a BCS Bowl Game will be great even if our shot at #8 is manipulated away because of the voters.

Absolutely.

Hornkiller
10/22/2010, 02:25 PM
The problem I have with everything is margin of Victory isn't supposed to be a factor but it is. Oregon is getting the love because they put 60+ points a game. If Auburn keeps rolling you'll see them jump OU unless the Sooners go back to the Switzer days of running up the score. Voters see a high number and give a high ranking.

Auburn doesn't have a defense but has an offense that can cause headaches for LSU and Bama and win in a shootout. Unless Cam Newton goes Dennis Dixon or Pat White and pulls up hurt... then Auburn has no offense.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2010, 02:44 PM

Absolutely. I wouldn't whine or even call it manipulated. The BCS system is what we have in place and that's what we signed up for. It's been extremely good to us in the past and I'm sure other fan bases would claim unfairly at times. I just say it is what it is, and accept it (then complain during the off-season).

stoopified
10/22/2010, 02:50 PM
Somebody is making a LOT of assumptions with many games left.As stated previously in this thread neither Auburn and LSU are unlikely to go undefeated.Oregon still has Oregon State,USC,Arizona meanwhile BSU still has Fresno State and Nevada.Everyone including OU has still got to win ,the other team isn't just to roll over.I doubt there are more than 2-3 unbeatens left by season's end.IF OU takes care of their business we WILL be there,if not who cares?

badger
10/22/2010, 03:11 PM
Somebody's gonna lose. Just hope it's not us.

oumartin
10/22/2010, 03:16 PM
Oregon looks mighty impressive but in typical fashion they will lay an egg somewhere

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2010, 03:18 PM
Oregon looks mighty impressive but in typical fashion they will lay an egg somewhere

Because that's what ducks do.
;)

TXBOOMER
10/22/2010, 03:21 PM
We are ahead of the SEC teams in Coaches poll now. What a stupid F. We win out, we are in regardless. He needs to change his name to Harry Palms.

XingTheRubicon
10/22/2010, 03:53 PM
He sees LSU/Auburn leapfrogging us in a doomsday scenario. Also, both teams have to play Alabama sometime. The winner will improve their computer rankings, hurting ours at the same time.

LSU/Auburn beating Bama doesn't hurt or help ours in any way.

XingTheRubicon
10/22/2010, 03:57 PM
Also:

Here's a list of teams in the 13 year BCS history that were ranked #1 or #2 in the BCS at any time, and then were leap-frogged out of the title game without losing...

CatfishSooner
10/22/2010, 03:58 PM
Because that's what ducks do.
;)

:D :cool:

Hornkiller
10/22/2010, 04:03 PM
LSU have been winning in spite of Les Miles... that will catch up with him.

Auburn goes as Cam Newton goes. If he is as durable as Tim Tebow then it spells trouble for OU. Voters rank teams on highlights and he provides plenty of them. Then again... Auburn plays in the SEC. One wrong step like Dennis Dixon a few years ago and Auburn's season is toast.

Oregon - sorry, but Arizona is probably the only team that can give them a game. They'll name their score on everyone else in the lack 10.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2010, 11:30 PM
I thought Jerry Palm was a brand of whack-off cream.

yermom
10/23/2010, 12:16 AM
that dude knows his **** on the BCS

it really lies in the human polls. if we lose votes because they think we shouldn't be #1, it could be a problem if it's crowded at the top

Auburn may have scheduled creampuffs early, but their computer rankings are only going to up from here out playing in their conference games

soonercastor
10/23/2010, 12:35 AM
lets say Oregon remains undefeated and an SEC team (Auburn/LSU) leapfrogs us in the human polls; let's also throw Boise in there since they play cupcake. The difference btw Oregon, LSU/AUburn and OU in the polls WILL be slim because some voters will have us and some will have LSU/AUburn at the top of their polls; so basically it will come down to the computers, an we all know how that will turn out.

Then again that's a lot of ifs and its very unlikely to unfold that way.

sendbaht
10/23/2010, 12:48 AM
Like to see Auburn beat LSU this week. Then Bama beat Auburn.

USC beat UO ducks...what ya think?

Crucifax Autumn
10/23/2010, 12:56 AM
I want everyone in the top 25 that we don't paly or didn't play to lose every friggin game, with highest rank always falling to lower rank. Makes it nice and simple.

BlownGP
10/23/2010, 01:17 AM
He's hoping LSU and/or Auburn stay undefeated and that Oregon will continue to get BCS love. It's possible I guess but I don't think any of the SEC teams will be undefeated and Oregon winning a game against teh kiffins still won't make them a lock at staying undefeated either.

There is now and.... LSU OR Auburn will stay undefeated sat..

LSU has a great D, but their luck is going to run out. They are not my beloved saints. A team of destiny.. hahaha

What I want is

Auburn to beat LSU
BAMA to beat Auburn
LSU to beat BAMA
ARK to beat LSU

SoonerNate
10/23/2010, 02:56 AM
F*ck what he thinks. Just beat Mizzou.

agoo758
10/23/2010, 03:01 AM
IF OU takes care of their business we WILL be there,if not who cares?

Well, I kinda do, I'd like to see OUr team win another one.:O

GKeeper316
10/23/2010, 03:20 AM
if bama beats auburn and lsu they will jump an undefeated oregon.

Okie35
10/23/2010, 03:32 AM
if bama beats auburn and lsu they will jump an undefeated oregon.

No they won't unless they win the SEC ship too.

jthomasou78
10/23/2010, 06:07 AM
If Auburn or LSU wins they will jump to numer one in both the human and the computer polls and be number 1 in the BCS.

If Oregon wins out they would probably be number 2 in both of the human polls.

If both of those things happened and we won out we would be number three in both of the human polls as we would leap Boise in both polls.

At that point we just have to hope FSU, Air Force, Utah State, and Cincinnati to win as much as possible. However I think that Oregon is hosed. We should be number 2 in the computer polls, and they could be 4 or 5.

delhalew
10/23/2010, 08:28 AM
The ducks are ranked higher than they should be right now. That gives them an advantage as they get to the meat of their schedule.