PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 tiebreaker changes

TheMind__Gap
10/21/2010, 04:44 PM
Two years, the tiebreaker rule that spurned new bad blood between Oklahoma and Texas has been changed.

Quietly, the Big 12′s three-way tiebreaker rule has undergone a change, the league commissioner Dan Beebe confirmed to the Dallas Morning News.

Here’s the old version, with the fifth three-way tiebreaker: “5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series standings following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative.”

And the new version: “5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game, unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game.”

Under the new rule, Texas would have advanced to the title game in 2008 instead of Oklahoma by virtue of its 45-35 head-to-head win over the Sooners at the Cotton Bowl.

The tiebreaker change was submitted by Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds in 2009. Because it only kicks in if the teams are within one spot in the BCS, the league doesn’t risk losing a team in the BCS title game.

The rule change was eventually approved by the league’s coaches in May followed by the athletic directors and then by the Big 12′s board of directors in June 2010. But because of major conference realignment issues, the change had been overshadowed by other news and was never officially announced.

-JT

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/10/21/big-12-tiebreaker-changes/

jumperstop
10/21/2010, 04:49 PM
Go figure they would want to appease Texas...

So even if Texas beats OSU and god forbid OSU beats us, as long as we are ahead of Texas in the polls we are the South represenative?

jumperstop
10/21/2010, 04:50 PM
Well then they would have to be within 1 spot of us I guess. Basically the same rule as the SEC.

yermom
10/21/2010, 04:54 PM
only this matters nada after this year, and could only possibly hurt Texas if it involved OU and Texas this year

soonerbub
10/21/2010, 04:58 PM
This is bull**** but like you said it really won't matter

yermom
10/21/2010, 05:05 PM
it would be funny if it does, only problem is that we would have to lose.

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 05:06 PM
I'm still seeing a BIG 12 Championship Game in that rule change.
I thought they were doing away with that?

stoopified
10/21/2010, 05:08 PM
It would be funny sh!t if this rule came back to bite the Orange Cows in the a$$ this season.

Oldnslo
10/21/2010, 05:12 PM
I love how * changes the rules just in time. If only we didn't have to lose for us to find a way to hose them under this change.

You know, so they could change it again, and we could hose them again.

In thought and action, * is aggie.

soonercastor
10/21/2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/download/60906200/Big_Who_Cares__shirt__by_Teh_G_man.jpg

ThinMan
10/21/2010, 05:30 PM

So even if Texas beats OSU and god forbid OSU beats us, as long as we are ahead of Texas in the polls we are the South represenative?

Actually even if it were something like:

3) Texas
4) Oklahoma

We'd be the ones going.

badger
10/21/2010, 05:30 PM
I'm still seeing a BIG 12 Championship Game in that rule change.
I thought they were doing away with that?

Jerry Jones is still probably holding out hope that his golden palace will host a few more of those cash cow games.

Also, the scenarios where this will screw texas? NOT gonna happen. Why?

U! (clap. clap. clap.) C! (clap. clap. clap.) Lllllllll(clap. clap. clap)llll A! (clap. clap. clap)

U-C-L-A! Fight fight fight!

:D

UncleFester
10/21/2010, 05:35 PM

Or even if we somehow wind up one spot behind Texas in the final regular season BCS, the way I read it.

I'd like to see how that is possible at this point, but who knows what kind of sleaze the BCS Harris voters are capable of. A two-loss Texas team over a one-loss OU team that beat them? Chip Brown's not the only one who likes to toss Mack's salad.

soonerloyal
10/21/2010, 05:36 PM
Meh. Tejas will just change it after they manage to come up short. Again. :rolleyes:

It's HI-larious though, thinking of Mack & Co. pulling all-nighters trying to remedy as many possible scenarios that might put us in ahead of his team.

agoo758
10/21/2010, 07:03 PM
Two years, the tiebreaker rule that spurned new bad blood between Oklahoma and Texas has been changed.

Quietly, the Big 12′s three-way tiebreaker rule has undergone a change, the league commissioner Dan Beebe confirmed to the Dallas Morning News.

Here’s the old version, with the fifth three-way tiebreaker: “5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series standings following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative.”

And the new version: “5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game, unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game.”

Under the new rule, Texas would have advanced to the title game in 2008 instead of Oklahoma by virtue of its 45-35 head-to-head win over the Sooners at the Cotton Bowl.

The tiebreaker change was submitted by Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds in 2009. Because it only kicks in if the teams are within one spot in the BCS, the league doesn’t risk losing a team in the BCS title game.

The rule change was eventually approved by the league’s coaches in May followed by the athletic directors and then by the Big 12′s board of directors in June 2010. But because of major conference realignment issues, the change had been overshadowed by other news and was never officially announced.

-JT

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/10/21/big-12-tiebreaker-changes/

You know what this rule does? It punishes teams for blowing out opponents as opposed to just barely beating them. If one of the three-way teams barely beats an opponent, that defeated opponent just drops down a little. If a team blows out another, the team blown out, drops significantly further, and making the victory (much less a blowout) null and void.

People have lost there minds. :mad:

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 07:37 PM
I don't see how, outside of one game where Reynolds injury couldn't have hurt us more, people thought Texas was even in the same ballpark as OU that year. They were a good team, no doubt, and good enough to beat us under the circumstances that day... but we were far better once we shored up the MLB spot with Balobox. Not only on paper and in SOS, but we were falt-out better to the eye. It was so evident it's not even funny. If anything Texas shoulda been crying about that year, it should have been the lack of a playoff, to which I'd agree. When somebody embarassed them and that overrated Ohio State team, we wouldn't have heard all the banner talk.

Crucifax Autumn
10/21/2010, 10:23 PM
So 2 years too late the little whiny bitches get their way. And I promise you next time the situation comes up they'll cry because it will be us that benefits from the rule. Dumbarses.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 08:46 AM
rule was submitted in 2009 before all the realignment...rule was voted on because nobody knew what for sure was going to happen until this summer...

so in the end, it doesn't matter

OUmillenium
10/22/2010, 12:31 PM
In the end

Certainly

No question

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 12:42 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/531752/medium.jpg