PDA

View Full Version : OU to fake flat passes?

Soonermagik
10/21/2010, 11:59 AM
Kevin Wilson loves this play. Heck, I agree that it has netted good yardage. However, I wonder if teams aren't going to really start to key in on this. They could get a safety to the line quickly and get a pick.

Is there any chance they will start faking flat passes? For example, Jones looks over that way & pumps the ball then shovel passes inside. Or he could throw a quick pass over the middle to the TE or Fullback to take advantage of over aggressive Linebackers. I just think this might keep teams honest and keep DB's from cheating at the line. A wrinkle of sorts, if you will. :D

Crucifax Autumn
10/21/2010, 12:01 PM
"Kevin Wilson don't do wrinkles" posts in 3,2,1...

bmjlr
10/21/2010, 12:02 PM
Oh, you must be talking about the "Pick 6" play...only a matter of time before it gets us. I would love to see pump fake and go long.

Collier11
10/21/2010, 12:02 PM
He has done it before, the main time I can remember was ou/tx 08 I believe

TahoeSOONER
10/21/2010, 12:03 PM
I think we've already ran it once, against *?

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 12:05 PM
They did it twice against FSU. LJ missed the call to check out of the bubble screen against AFA and damn near got jumped for 6. He's supposed to check out of it if the safeties or 'backers are up too close or don't have a designated blocker. I agree with Stoops that those passes should really count toward team rushing yardage. I know the QB has to make a throw, but it's no more difficult a throw to make than an option pitch or a toss-sweep is, and it starts behind the line of scrimmage. It is, essentially a running play.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 12:06 PM
We have run a fake flat pass and then thrown to seam on the same side a couple of times and it looked really slick. It almost looked like an option read, but i doubt it was. I thought the horns would try to jump that route since their DBs play press coverage a lot, but they never got close. We take full advantage of the rule where the other receiver on the same side can block as long as the pass is thrown behind the LOS. Our receivers have done a great job of clearing the way w/o getting flagged for holding. But I agree, this pass can be dangerous if LJ doesn't watch what the CB is doing and needs to throw it away if it's too crowded.

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 12:06 PM
Oh, yeah... Kenny Stills's TD against Tejas was off of a flat-pass pump-fake, too.

NOVSooner
10/21/2010, 12:09 PM
Oh, you must be talking about the "Pick 6" play...only a matter of time before it gets us. I would love to see pump fake and go long.

I would love to see the pump fake too! and you would think (from what I've read) with mizzou running an offense similar to our's that they would be prepared for this, probably moreso than other teams we play/played.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 12:11 PM
Oh, yeah... Kenny Stills's TD against Tejas was off of a flat-pass pump-fake, too.

That was beauty. Talk about Stills has gone quiet since we are all wanting to see Finch and/or Clay break out. But Stills is looking like a real veteran out there and showing real soft hands. Very few dropped passes this year. It was great to see him at punt return too because sometimes Broyles needs a break (like after catching 15 passes) and we need depth there too.

ouleaf
10/21/2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah, if you release a Safety/NB/LB to try and get the pick 6, then odds are you are also leaving a seam right up the middle for your slot or TE to run up and be wide open for a big gain.

So, it's a high risk, high reward situation if you try and do that.

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 12:19 PM
I hate that play cuz it makes my *** pucker every time we run it. I'm afraid it'll be either a pick-6 or a lateral = fumble.

Collier11
10/21/2010, 12:22 PM
The key is that initial block by our outside WR, if he gets the block the play is fine. So far this year it has been

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 12:23 PM
I think we need to go all Boise and have LJ pump-fake the flat pass and hand it off to Finch behind his back. Then LJ can propose to Whitney and we can color the field red for 2011. Then, maybe ESPN will love us. ;)

ouleaf
10/21/2010, 12:26 PM
The key is that initial block by our outside WR, if he gets the block the play is fine. So far this year it has been

That or the WR has to be able to make the 1st guy miss. Broyles is very good at this fortunately and if the other WR(s) make their blocks he can take it a long way down the field.

BoomerSooner, esq.
10/21/2010, 12:52 PM
I was thinking about this exact play the other night for the first play of the game. Everyone has seen us come out with the flat pass out of the gate. Why not pump fake the flat to Kenney and let Broyles beat his guy down the sideline.

Obviously, a big part of making this play successful is going to be the cornerback coverage. Catch them one on one playing bump and run coverage, and Broyles could walk into the endzone.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 01:00 PM
I hate that play cuz it makes my *** pucker every time we run it. I'm afraid it'll be either a pick-6 or a lateral = fumble.

You hate plays that are working 90+% of the time? Man, that's our bread and butter. I knew we were serious last week when we came out and ran a variation of that play 5 times in a row. "Here it is, just try to stop us". It's sets up a bunch of other stuff too.

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2010, 01:00 PM
Kevin Wilson loves this play. Heck, I agree that it has netted good yardage. However, I wonder if teams aren't going to really start to key in on this. They could get a safety to the line quickly and get a pick.

Is there any chance they will start faking flat passes? For example, Jones looks over that way & pumps the ball then shovel passes inside. Or he could throw a quick pass over the middle to the TE or Fullback to take advantage of over aggressive Linebackers. I just think this might keep teams honest and keep DB's from cheating at the line. A wrinkle of sorts, if you will. :D

Well if they start cheating at the line, why fake a flat pass?

Why not run a stop and go instead?

Wishboned
10/21/2010, 01:04 PM
I like the idea of Murray and Finch in the backfield. Short yardage situation, fake the handoff to Murray, flat pass to Finch and let him go.

gaylordfan1
10/21/2010, 01:04 PM
I remember running this play against FSU... Fake to the flat then passing to C. Kenney up the sideline for the TD.

oumartin
10/21/2010, 01:09 PM
I've been running this play with my two sons in the back yard all fall. Fake the quick pass to the flat. run a triple reverse where we pull and hand off to a guard who throws the ball all the way back across the field to a streakin'(or plodding) Landry jones who then pitches it back to broyles. Broyles then sits the ball down at the 1 yard line and this allows DM to pick it up and run it in for yet another TD to add to his record.

I promise this play will work

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 01:10 PM
Well if they start cheating at the line, why fake a flat pass?

Why not run a stop and go instead?

Or just run ;)

gaylordfan1
10/21/2010, 01:11 PM
And if you pay attention, they fake the bubble screen a lot...etc. Broyles takes off running toward the sidelines while LJ hands off the ball and such.

usaosooner
10/21/2010, 01:11 PM
is there a chance we add that wrinkle at some point? sure there is

HolaKyle
10/21/2010, 01:19 PM
We have done it a couple of times this year. I know I included them in my highlights. I'll try to link if I'm able to locate them tonight, once I get home from work.

Widescreen
10/21/2010, 01:28 PM
We've done this for years. In this video, start at the 1:16 mark. We'd been doing flat passes early in the game and the pump made the CB bite and we got an easy TD out of it. I'd look for it Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rIO7UUmuM

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 02:24 PM
I've been running this play with my two sons in the back yard all fall. Fake the quick pass to the flat. run a triple reverse where we pull and hand off to a guard who throws the ball all the way back across the field to a streakin'(or plodding) Landry jones who then pitches it back to broyles. Broyles then sits the ball down at the 1 yard line and this allows DM to pick it up and run it in for yet another TD to add to his record.

I promise this play will work

Methinks you stink mightily as a coach......

but probably do passably well as a dad. :D

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2010, 02:27 PM
Or just run ;)

Well, that too.

I would like to see some more counters and traps myself...but as an ex-Strong Side Tackle, I loved pulling and leveling the fresh air boys!

soonerborn30
10/21/2010, 02:36 PM
Didn't we do a similar thing to Tulsa a couple years back? I seem to remember them creeping up, and Sam pump faked and the WR (Malcolm Kelly?) ran a stop and go route that went for six.

BillyBall
10/21/2010, 02:40 PM
Didn't we do a similar thing to Tulsa a couple years back? I seem to remember them creeping up, and Sam pump faked and the WR (Malcolm Kelly?) ran a stop and go route that went for six.

Yeah, it was Iglesias though.

Widescreen
10/21/2010, 02:42 PM

Heh. Look 3 posts above yours.

soonerborn30
10/21/2010, 02:47 PM
Doh! Sorry, man.

rekamrettuB
10/21/2010, 02:48 PM
When OU called it against Texas they were in man to man w/ Gideon (I think)on Stills. Since it was man to man he didn't bite on the fake because he was locked onto his receiver. It's been run a few times this year (FSU at least twice) and worked well. Mizzu will play little man to man so I would look for this to be run a few times Saturday.

jumperstop
10/21/2010, 02:49 PM
We've done this for years. In this video, start at the 1:16 mark. We'd been doing flat passes early in the game and the pump made the CB bite and we got an easy TD out of it. I'd look for it Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rIO7UUmuM

Good play. Also forgot how much I liked Allen Patrick, what a great runner.

SoonerLB
10/21/2010, 03:03 PM
Kevin Wilson don't do wrinkles . . . . . just sayin' . . . . . ;)

Soonermagik
10/21/2010, 03:13 PM
I guess I just never noticed them doing it. I just worry about someone picking it off, but if they fake it enough it should keep teams honest.

aj44mc
10/21/2010, 03:15 PM
I was watching the ASU vs Oregon game and ASU was playing well and did a bubble screen and the back dropped the ball and just jogged by and it was ruled a lateral and the CB picked it up and ran it for a TD. It was what I think got Oregon rolling against ASU.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 03:18 PM
I was watching the ASU vs Oregon game and ASU was playing well and did a bubble screen and the back dropped the ball and just jogged by and it was ruled a lateral and the CB picked it up and ran it for a TD. It was what I think got Oregon rolling against ASU.

That happened. But we run it all the time and our receivers are very well aware of that possibility. Most the time, ours are not laterals.

ThinMan
10/21/2010, 03:32 PM

Exactly. If a DB is going to try to jump that play you Can really burn someone deep. The key is reading the DB on the inside.

Okie35
10/21/2010, 03:33 PM
I think we've already ran it once, against *?

We've ran it a couple of times. Not the shovel but LJ has faked the pass to the flat the last few games and the linebackers or corners get sucked in.

HolaKyle
10/21/2010, 10:38 PM
@ 1:45 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkXDtereI4)

@ 3:15 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZlC2bRMIA)

@ 0:44 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)