PDA

View Full Version : They just keep hating...

madillsoonerfan5353
10/21/2010, 10:55 AM
I'm not saying that Espin is out to get OU, or anybody else for that matter. But have you ever heard this much talk about the BCS first number 1 team? Aboubt how if this or that happens OU will be the first to get jumped? I might be me, but I'm sick tired of it!:mad: Is it just because that Espin has the rights to the BCS now?

Sponsored by: David Stanley Chrysler Jeep Dodge Copyright ©2010. The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Oklahoma Sooners Sports News and Articles

Toolsview all E-mailPrintBuzz Up!FacebookTwitterDeliciousDiggToolbar sponsor: David Stanley Ford

Could OU's time as the BCS No. 1 be limited?
When the first BCS rankings of the season came out on Sunday, the University of Oklahoma was the No. 1 team. But according to BCS analysts, the Sooners time at No. 1 may be limited because an undefeated SEC team and Oregon could jump OU.
BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman 44 Published: October 20, 2010

NORMAN — Oklahoma may be No. 1 in the first BCS Standings.

OU hopes to play for this trophy in January. AP photo

MultimediaVideo
view all videos
OU Update: Mizzou Defense

Oct 20Jenni Carlson and Jake Trotter talk Mizzou defense and what the...

Photo
view all photos
Could OU's time as the BCS No. 1 be limited?
More InfoROAD TO THE BCS

Here's a look at the remaining games to watch that could hold major implications in the BCS standings:

Oct. 23: Oklahoma at Missouri

Chance for either to pick up eye-popping victory

Oct. 23: LSU at Auburn

Sooners need to root against winner going forward

Oct 30: Oregon at USC

Probably Ducks' best chance of being knocked off

Oct 30: Michigan State at Iowa

Sparty's magical ride will be put to test in Iowa City

Nov. 6: TCU at Utah

Horned Frogs can score a win that will bolster computer profile

Nov 6: Alabama at LSU

The Crimson Tide can jump back in the race with win in Baton Rouge

Nov. 13: Oklahoma State at Texas

Also win in Austin, and Pokes become serious contender

Nov. 20: Ohio State at Iowa

The winner is still a title game long shot, but you never know

Nov. 26: Boise State at Nevada

The loser in Nevada losing to Hawaii, other than Nevada, was Boise State

Nov. 26: Auburn at Alabama

If Auburn gets past LSU, schedule is manageable until Iron Bowl

Nov. 27: Oklahoma at Oklahoma State

Bedlam as a national semifinal? Hey, it could happen

Dec. 4: Oregon at Oregon State

If Ducks are still undefeated, Sooner fans could be glued to this one

NewsOK Related ArticlesOSU's road to BCS title game has lots of potholes
10/20/2010 Even though the Cowboys are undefeated and ranked No. 14 in the BCS Standings, the chances for Oklahoma State to reach the national championship are a long...
OU football notebook: GameDay trend is ominous for...
10/20/2010 ESPN's College Football GameDay will be going to the University of Missouri on Saturday for the first time. GameDay will set up in the Quadrangle for its...
But the Sooners might not actually control their own destiny, caution a couple of BCS analysts.

Jerry Palm, who analyzes the BCS standings at collegebcs.com, said despite OU topping the BCS this week, a couple of other programs have the inside track to the championship game.

"I don't think they control their own destiny," Palm told The Oklahoman in a phone interview. "I don't think they can hold off an undefeated SEC champion. If Oregon goes undefeated, too, I see OU as the odd man out."

The Sooners took first place by grading out No. 1 in the computer ratings.

In four of the six computer polls, OU is No. 1. In the other two, No. 3.

But the Sooners lagged in the human polls. OU ranks No. 3 in the Coaches poll, and No. 4 in the Harris.

Oregon, meanwhile, the BCS' second-ranked team, is No. 1 in both human polls.

And with games against the likes of USC and Arizona ahead, the Ducks figure to significantly improve upon on their No. 8 computer rating — if they keep winning.

Unless the Ducks lose, Palm doesn't see the Sooners passing Oregon in either human poll, even with a victory Saturday at No. 11 Missouri. Palm also believes Oregon will close the gap enough in the computers to move ahead of OU in the BCS.

"Oregon's non-conference was pretty abysmal, but its league schedule gets better," Palm said. "So unless voters change their minds, Oregon is not giving up that top spot."

The Sooners also may not be able to fend off the victor of this weekend's LSU at Auburn showdown — if that team runs the table.

"OU's position is not as good as it looks," said Brad Edwards, ESPN's BCS guru. "If LSU or Auburn goes undefeated, the first team they will jump is Oklahoma."

The good news for the Sooners is that the probability of Oregon and Auburn or LSU going undefeated is slim.

All six of Oregon's remaining opponents are .500 or better, and the Ducks have a trio of daunting road games at USC, Cal and Oregon State.

Even if it beats Auburn, LSU still has to run the gauntlet of Alabama at home and Arkansas on the road, plus the SEC Championship game.

Auburn still has to travel to Alabama.

More good news for the Sooners is they don't have to worry about competing with the Big Ten champ. With Ohio State losing to Wisconsin, the Big Ten's lone undefeated team is Michigan State, ranked No. 7 in the BCS.

Palm doesn't believe the Spartans can't catch an undefeated OU in the BCS; nor can Boise State or TCU.

"They don't have to worry about those teams," Palm said. "Just Oregon and an undefeated SEC team."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/could-ous-time-as-the-bcs-no.-1-be-limited/article/3506396?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz130cwtbb T

KantoSooner
10/21/2010, 10:59 AM
They've all got pages and time to fill up. Relax. If we win out, the odds are excellent that we play for the glass ball in January.
If we don't win out, we probably shouldn't anyway.

BigTime1
10/21/2010, 11:01 AM
I dont really mind it because they talk up who ever it is we are playing and why they are so great and all the reasons they are gonna beat us...and then when we win it makes us look that much better because then its too late to go back on their previous reports...so I say talk it up...mizzou is AWESOME

Boomer.....
10/21/2010, 11:02 AM
If we win out, we WILL play for it all. No sense in getting worked up over stuff that others say.

IronHorseSooner
10/21/2010, 11:09 AM
What is holding us back are the human polls. If we go to Columbia and monkey-punch Mizzou, then it would give some of the human pollsters a chance to put us #1. We would have beaten the #11 team, on the road, on Homecoming, at night on national television, with Gameday there.

What those prognosticators forget is the chance that we would move up in the human polls. In the above scenario, we would surely jump any non-BCS team (BSU, TCU), and could supplant the cheaters at #1 in the human polls.

BTW, pull for Auburn in their game this week. LSU is on our tail in the computers, would likely gain on us in the human polls, and has 'Bama at home (I think?). Auburn would likely still be below us, and they have to go to Tuscaloosa, where I guarantee Saban will protect the home turf.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/21/2010, 11:12 AM
yOU people are right. It just gets old for this kind of talk. Just let the season play out. I guess these people in the media have to talk about something or they wouldn't get paid? I agree we win out and we are in. I'm ready to watch Bob and Company continue to make Stinkle their lil' bitch!

:pop:

BOOMER!!!!

SoonerPride
10/21/2010, 11:13 AM
I turned off ESPN except to actually watch a sporting event years ago.

Don't miss it.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2010, 11:15 AM
Morans.

Sooners winning out > Oregon winning out

Schedule more difficult
Conference Championship Game

The computers would give us the highest BCS margin ever with an undefeated season.

**** the SEC. Only the computers seem to recognize that a bunch of above-average teams beating each other up makes for a tough conference, but not necessarily the best conference, regardless of their nice performances against a DeMarco-less OU and a Colt-less *.

Mississippi Sooner
10/21/2010, 11:20 AM
Morans.

Sooners winning out > Oregon winning out

Schedule more difficult
Conference Championship Game

The computers would give us the highest BCS margin ever with an undefeated season.

**** the SEC. Only the computers seem to recognize that a bunch of above-average teams beating each other up makes for a tough conference, but not necessarily the best conference, regardless of their nice performances against a DeMarco-less OU and a Colt-less *.

+1

To say the Ducks winning out trumps the Sooners winning out is just idiotic.

auto
10/21/2010, 11:34 AM
Oregon still has the Condoms in Hell-ay and Arizona, they drop 1 of the 2.:D

swardboy
10/21/2010, 11:41 AM
Guess it's time to drop 60+ every game here on out.

Widescreen
10/21/2010, 11:43 AM
"Oregon's non-conference was pretty abysmal, but its league schedule gets better," Palm said. "So unless voters change their minds, Oregon is not giving up that top spot."
Our non-conference was solid and our league schedule is at least as good as Oregon's. I don't know about the human polls but I'll bet the computers will evaluate our overall schedule as better than Oregon's. The humans vote mostly on what happened last week. The computers look at the whole season.

deweydw
10/21/2010, 11:44 AM
What is holding us back are the human polls. If we go to Columbia and monkey-punch Mizzou, then it would give some of the human pollsters a chance to put us #1. We would have beaten the #11 team, on the road, on Homecoming, at night on national television, with Gameday there.

Hmmm, seems like the odds are stacked against us. :pop:

Soonermagik
10/21/2010, 11:52 AM
ESPN =Entertainment Sports Programming Network

ouduckhunter
10/21/2010, 11:59 AM
I don't watch any of the talkin heads on ESpin or read any of their communist propaganda either! I haven't in years, and I sleep a lot better for it too! As others have so eloquently said, they are in the business to create controversy, build teams up, and tear them down just as quickly depending on who wins, who loses, and who the flava of the month is! The only things that you can count on with them is their undying love for TOSU, USUC, Te*as, and the Mother Duckers!

They are vultures, vultures I tell you!!

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2010, 12:00 PM
It's what they do. They talked up Wiscy last week and USCe the week before and I'm sure they will try to make UCLA sound better than they are against the Ducks (they'll bring up the UT game repeatedly). They certainly won't say the favored team will pound the opponent if both teams are ranked - they want drama!

TahoeSOONER
10/21/2010, 12:08 PM
They keep hating and we keep improving, we win, we're in.

goingoneight
10/21/2010, 12:17 PM
The answer is simple. Beat Missouri. By one, by two, give up 50 and still find a way to win and we're doing all we can. We'll talk BCS when this Oklahoma team does it's part. There's going to be some cleanup among the undefeateds eventually. Just like this game Saturday... OU and Mizzou can't both go unbeaten by virtue of the head-to-head matchup. Neither can Auburn and LSU for that matter. And Alabama-Auburn will knock one of those two completely out, as will OU-OSU. There's still a whole half of the year left and people are fretting about who's gonna be left out like the Fiesta Bowl is this weekend.

Mississippi Sooner
10/21/2010, 12:27 PM
And because it doesn't really deserve its own thread, I'll post the link here.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1141933

Yes, bowl projections. Halfway through the season, and they are posting bowl projections. I understand the need to give people something to talk about, but let's at least wait til midway through November.

Mississippi Sooner
10/21/2010, 12:28 PM
Oh wait, I forgot. ESPN actually starts doing that at the beginning of the season.

Well, anyway. It's dumb.

PalmBeachSooner
10/21/2010, 12:35 PM
"They don't have to worry about those teams," Palm said. "Just Oregon and an undefeated SEC team."

I don't have a problem with that and I don't think it's punking on OU. I watched the BCS show on ESPN and they were unanimous in saying at this point in the season we deserve it.

JBIILonghorns
10/21/2010, 12:37 PM
Who's hating on OU? The BCS loves them.

CrimsonJim
10/21/2010, 12:42 PM
ESPiN. Pay tention, ya dumas. :rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2010, 12:44 PM
And because it doesn't really deserve its own thread, I'll post the link here.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1141933

Except the main one, those BCS Bowl matchups are HORRIBLE.

BoiseSt/Iowa?
tOSU/TCU?
Bama/West Virginia?
FSU/Auburn?

meh.

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2010, 12:48 PM
1. Oklahoma.9215
2. Oregon.8921
3. Boise State.8898
4. Auburn.8641
5. TCU.8573
6. LSU.8245
7. Michigan State.7628
8. Alabama.6654
9. Utah.6540
10. Ohio State.5726
11. Missouri.5491
12. Stanford.5374
13. Wisconsin.5335
14. Oklahoma State.5261
15. Iowa.4824

Bold are the ones we have to truly worry about jumping us...even though at this point our schedule matches anyone's for the rest of the year.

We may get jumped, but it wont be by Oregon this week (they would have to jump all the way up inside the top 4 in the computers and we would have to drop outside the top four in the human polls in order for Oregon to overtake us...they cannot go any higher in the human polls, just better percentage.)

We beat Missouri, we jump to #2 in the Human polls and gain even more in the computer polls.

The same goes for either LSU or Auburn. They will have to jump us and have a substantial lead in the human polls over us and they will have to jump to #1 in the computers as well. Which they can do, but we would not fall past #2 in the computers if that was the happen this week.

If we win, forget about Boise and TCU overtaking us. The only teams I see jumping us are LSU, Auburn, and Oregon, but not two of the three. And even if they do...the chances that either LSU or Auburn go undefeated is slim to none with their remaining schedules.

My point, I highly doubt we fall to #2 this week if we win against Missouri, in fact, no matter the Margin of Victory, I think OU gains in the human polls if they win this weekend!

BOOMER!

humblesooner
10/21/2010, 01:31 PM
Guess it's time to drop 60+ every game here on out.

Impossible. No one's ever done that before.:eek:

ouduckhunter
10/21/2010, 01:48 PM
Oh wait, I forgot. ESPN actually starts doing that at the beginning of the season.

Well, anyway. It's dumb.

Dumb doesn't even begin to cover it, but then again, they're idiots!

ThinMan
10/21/2010, 03:45 PM
The last Big12 CCG is not mentioned but will give OU a good sized boost.

Honestly it will be very very difficult to go undefeated. If we do I think it is obvious there would be very little to fear about not getting in.

tcrb
10/21/2010, 04:00 PM
The only way we miss out on playing for the NC is if we lose a game. Odds are against more than 2 BCS teams being undefeated at the end of the season.

SoFla Sooner
10/21/2010, 10:01 PM
sigh. This is all so boring. We are the fat cat that has been playing with its food. Auburn. Oregon. Really? They couldn't play defense if their lives depended on it. Boise Jr. College? Bring them on. The last time we played them, we were just kidding most of the game. We didn't beat them with Adrian Peterson in the backfield. Do I need to explain further? What I am saying is that, barring more injuries this year, we are the best.

DenverSooner751
10/21/2010, 10:11 PM
If we win out, we WILL play for it all. No sense in getting worked up over stuff that others say.

^^This X1,000,000