PDA

View Full Version : How do we measure Demarco's Career?

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:27 PM
Demarco Murray began his career at The University of Oklahoma as a super-hyped bolt of energy and speed and did little during his freshman season to dispel that hype. By the time Demarco Murray finishes his eligibility in a few months he will hold several major records at OU including total Touchdowns and All purpose yards while most likely finishing in the top 5 in rushing yards and the top 2 in rushing touchdowns, if not #1. So why is it that we stand nearly halfway through Demarco's Senior season and I still have no idea where to place him amongst the All Time Greats at OU? It could be that despite all of the numbers that Demarco will pile up, he will never have a season that places him in the top 5 in rushing yardage for a season although he has a good shot to break the OU single season Touchdown record of 23.

It could be because of the age old question, "what could have been?" What would have happened if Demarco were healthy when OU lost by 10 to Florida in the 2008 National Championship? What if Demarco hadn't missed 4 full games and parts of several others in his career? What if he hadn't split carries with Chris Brown for much of his career? What if we hadn't seen Demarco virtually change the type of running back that he was at least 3 times? It is often intriguing to wonder 'what if' but in Demarco's case I think the better place to take the conversation is 'what now'? Demarco has atleast 7 games left in his OU career and possibly 8 if OU makes the Big 12 Title Game. What can Demarco do now to end his career that will help us to properly place him amongst the greats at OU?

It's now doubt that if you are judging Murray's career based off of the expectations he created his freshman year when he had the legendary run against Texas while averaging 6 yards per carry and scoring 17 total touchdowns throughout the season that you might say his career wasn't what it could have been. He never again averaged over 5.6 yards per carry and has only one 1000 yard season to his name, although it seems likely he will break that mark again this year barring injury.

So what if we talk about the way that Murray has continually re-invented his self, it's this part of his career that impresses me the most. Going from a speed demon his freshman year, a guy who could put any move on any player and win, a guy who could get the corner on any guy in the country and win, as well as a guy who could still occasionally run over someone. It appeared that once Murray was hurt in the 11th game of his freshman season he came back and decided that his top end speed may be gone so he overcompensated and bulked up the following two years.

Undoubtedly irritated by missing parts of all 3 of his seasons due to injuries, Murray made yet another change going into his Senior season. Dropping around 10lbs and doing more flexibility type of exercises, it appears that Murray has finally found the type of runner that he needs to be. While Murray still lacks some of that speed that he used to have and a few of the moves, we have seen glimpses of Greatness throughout his Senior season mixed very good play throughout.

As we near the end of what has no doubt been a great career from Demarco I think we should focus more on what he is than what he could have been. He may not be the best running back to ever play at OU but then again, there are so many Great ones at OU that you could probably never find a consensus #1 anyway. In my mind we are watching the twilight of one of the Greatest careers at OU ever, any position. What he now lacks in flash he makes up for in substance, reliability, in his high level of value. Murray means so much to this 2010 team that it really can't be measured in numbers. While the numbers may say he is one of the best and the eye test may say he is just pretty good and sometimes really good, there is no doubt in my mind that Murray will end his career at OU as one of the best running backs in school history and one of the most valuable players in OU history ever.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 09:30 PM
I think we put him in the top 10, The missed bowl games stil leave me wondering "what if".

yankee
10/19/2010, 09:31 PM
tl;dnr
:D

THE-JROD
10/19/2010, 09:31 PM
Although this took me 20 minutes to read....it was very well said!! Murray does not get as much credit as he deserves....but I have a feeling this season will be the perfect final touches to his career!!

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:32 PM
tl;dnr
:D

WTF is that ^ :D

yankee
10/19/2010, 09:33 PM
WTF is that ^ :D

too long; did not read. ;)

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:33 PM
Lazy azz ;)

yankee
10/19/2010, 09:34 PM
i'm just going to assume it's awesome, and spek ya for it anyway.

soonercastor
10/19/2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah those missed bowls :(. But Still a great career, let the numbers speak and we'll also look back next year and see how great he was.

JLEW1818
10/19/2010, 09:38 PM
i think it's possible he ends it with a heisman or national title.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 09:38 PM
I agree, I see him getting over 1000 yds rushing and 300 plus receiving or more. Imagine what he'll get in the aTm game alone!!!!

yankee
10/19/2010, 09:39 PM
i think it's possible he ends it with a heisman or national title.
is that a lock?

JLEW1818
10/19/2010, 09:40 PM
is that a lock?

Lakers win the Title this year, that's a lock.

;)

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:43 PM
Ill put cash on that one Jlew

yankee
10/19/2010, 09:43 PM
Lakers win the Title this year, that's a lock.

;)

i don't think i've recovered from my latest NBA playoff predictions..i'll get back to you on that. :D

JLEW1818
10/19/2010, 09:45 PM
yah, Heisman talk is a lil early. but u gotta think if OU is undefeated, somebody from OU will finish top 3.

who that might be? dunno.

Murray could go off on national tv this weekend.

The Ghost of Mex
10/19/2010, 09:48 PM
i think it's possible he ends it with a heisman and/or national title.

FIFY:gary:

Eielson
10/19/2010, 10:39 PM
i don't think i've recovered from my latest NBA playoff predictions..i'll get back to you on that. :D

Don't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ALCS.

setem
10/19/2010, 10:45 PM
G.O.A.T.

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 11:10 PM
Good jorb Scott!

IMHO, barring any more injuries, he will undoubtedly go down has one of the greatest Sooners ever, not just RBs.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 11:18 PM
We've never had a RB that was as versatile as a pure receiver, so it's hard to compare him to other backs at OU. It's that versatility that imposes matchups the opposing D doesn't want and creates successful plays. The TD count speaks for itself.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 11:18 PM
We've never had a RB that was as versatile as a pure receiver, so it's hard to compare him to other backs at OU. It's that versatility that imposes matchups the opposing D doesn't want and creates successful plays. The TD count speaks for itself.

I love the rollout and dump to Demarco.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 11:24 PM
I love the rollout and dump to Demarco.

You can almost see DM light up when he catches that screen pass. You can see him plotting his path through the helpless defenders.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 11:26 PM
You can almost see DM light up when he catches that screen pass. You can see him plotting his path through the helpless defenders.

It's insane, he alrady has his speed up and the defenders have to stop and turn!!

Sooner_Tuf
10/20/2010, 02:35 AM
Excellent.

Joe
10/20/2010, 07:21 AM
All that and no mention of the best ball security we've seen out of a RB in Stoops' tenure (along with Q).

rekamrettuB
10/20/2010, 10:51 AM
By height.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/20/2010, 10:57 AM

Guess you've never heard of Quentin Griffin huh???

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/20/2010, 11:18 AM
By height.

You beat me to the Caddyshack reference. Spek.

ouleaf
10/20/2010, 11:23 AM
Definitely a great career for sure. Can't argue with the stats he's put up especially considering he split a good amount of time with Chris Brown, but I'm hesitant to put him up there with the All-Timers.

While he continues to make highlight plays on a fairly regular basis, I still think we've yet to see one better than that Run against Texas his freshman year. So with that play as the measuring stick for his greatness, it's kind of like he peaked too early.

Plus when you add in the injuries it has always seemed like he lost that extra gear, so its frustrating because you'd think after being in a program for as long as he has he'd still be capable of that burst, but he clearly isn't at this point any more.

To his credit, I think he's done a good job changing his game up this year. He dropped a little weight and I think that has helped. He is a very patient runner and waits for stuff to develop. He is still able to make a pretty good cut to make the guy miss and get up the field for some extra yardage. And he holds on to the ball better than most backs.