PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska...Pathetic

CrimsonRez
10/19/2010, 08:35 PM
Idk if this has already been posted. But its an interesting read for sure.

[QUOTE]LINCOLN, Neb. -- Already down in the dumps after he dropped two touchdown passes against Texas, Nebraska's Niles Paul felt worse after a group of Cornhusker fans verbally abused him as he walked from Memorial Stadium to his car after the 20-13 loss.

Amid the buildup for last week's grudge match with the Longhorns, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini and athletic director Tom Osborne implored fans to be nice to the visitors from Texas. Maybe they should have addressed the fans about their treatment of the home team.

"It hurts that people were yelling stuff at me. It's disrespectful," Paul said Tuesday. "As an athlete I have to keep my cool and stay focused because I don't want to do something to put my situation in jeopardy."

Paul's experience runs counter to the reputation of Nebraska fans, who are praised nationally for their knowledge of the game and the warm reception they give visiting players, coaches and fans.

Nebraska fans have a tradition of applauding visiting teams as they exit the field, win or lose. And above each stadium entrance reads a sign that says, "Through These Gates Pass the Greatest Fans in College Football."

As Paul walked with family members to his car after the game, he said, several Nebraska fans began harassing him.

"You lost us the game. Texas can have you," Paul said, recalling the taunts.

Paul said one of his brothers acted as if he were going to chase one of the hecklers, but Paul held him back.

Paul said he deactivated his Facebook page Saturday night because a number of nasty messages appeared.

"I can't deal with that," he said. "People kind of use me as a scapegoat and say mean things to me on Facebook for making a mistake that receivers make or being human in a game."

Paul dropped two passes that would have gone for touchdowns. Rex Burkhead and Brandon Kinnie each dropped TD passes, and the receiving corps combined for eight drops.

Paul said the verbal abuse surprised him.

"I have to realize I'm not playing for the fans," he said. "I'm playing for my coaches and the team and I was more upset I let down my team more than anything."

Pelini, like all coaches, has taken abuse from fans when things don't go as they hoped.

Does he ever want to punch hecklers?

"Yeah, honestly, you do want to," Pelini said.

But Pelini said he resists the urge and lets criticism bounce off him. He told Paul to do the same.

"Niles is a prideful guy," Pelini said. "He didn't have the type of game he wanted to have. It doesn't help the situation when that happens. It makes him even madder. He'll respond very well to the whole thing."/QUOTE]

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5703798

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 08:37 PM
Fire Pellini!!!

Just making a sf.com point...

ThinMan
10/19/2010, 08:39 PM
They are normally so classy.

Like when they write bogus stories about OU players getting arrested for cocaine.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 08:40 PM
It's one thing to sit on your couch and say to no one in particular, "That guy's a useless PoS." But at bottom, these guys are just kids putting on a show for us. They sure don't deserve abuse for failing at something most of us could never do or have never tried.

Whet
10/19/2010, 08:41 PM
Heck, Bo will just tinkle on those hecklers! He was getting too worked up at the game and started to tinkle on a ref, before he shut it off, leaving a mere dribble.

AlbqSooner
10/19/2010, 08:41 PM
I did comment while watching the game that it looked like he had money on the whorns. Starting receivers should NOT drop that many well thrown balls.

agoo758
10/19/2010, 08:42 PM
I'd personally like to find those pieces of **** fans, pad them up for a game, and have all their teeth knocked out.

OUthunder
10/19/2010, 08:46 PM
I did comment while watching the game that it looked like he had money on the whorns. Starting receivers should NOT drop that many well thrown balls.

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind too. Those passes hit him perectly n the hands. It's like he dropped hem on purpose.

Regardless, NU fans are just like any other fan base. You have some good ones and some bad ones.

SoonerPride
10/19/2010, 08:49 PM
Another myth busted: the classiest fans.

Veritas
10/19/2010, 08:57 PM
Pretty ****ty. For every loudmouthed ******* there are 10 fans that know he's a kid that did his best. I'd love to donkeypunch those guys.

Football Jim
10/19/2010, 09:41 PM
I was in Nebraska that weekend. Wow, what a bunch of sore losers. I heard nothing but complaints about how NU played and how they let the state down etc..... Classy.... no

rainiersooner
10/19/2010, 10:36 PM
I seem to remember that Landry took his facebook page down last year after the Nebraska game. It only takes a few bad apples....

Okie35
10/19/2010, 10:48 PM
At least that team(not any fan) has more class than to do this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKvq6FVBMBk

I know ppl remember

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 10:50 PM
I love the guy that trips over him, looks at him then keeps going....lol

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:00 PM
thats pathetic..people need to get a life

Sooner in Tampa
10/20/2010, 06:24 AM
Nebraska + Pathetic = Redundant

Crimsontothecore
10/20/2010, 06:52 AM
This whole "best fans in the country" has always been exaggerated. NU fans gained that reputation of graciousness over a period of time when they were winning 9+ games per year. It's not hard to be nice to opposing fans after you just smashed their team.

Sooner_Tuf
10/20/2010, 08:24 AM
This whole "best fans in the country" has always been exaggerated. NU fans gained that reputation of graciousness over a period of time when they were winning 9+ games per year. It's not hard to be nice to opposing fans after you just smashed their team.

They sure were not called that in the 60's or 70's.

Clever Trevor
10/20/2010, 08:33 AM
:rolleyes:

Mad Dog Madsen
10/20/2010, 08:45 AM
That is so disrespectful... I feel for the kid. There were tons of dropped passes in that game. Those fans are just pathetic.

BoomerSooner97
10/20/2010, 10:55 AM
It was easy for Cornhusker fans to be the best fans in the world when they were trouncing everyone. Those days are long gone.

oudavid1
10/20/2010, 11:34 AM
Ive been asleep for a few months, Hey Nebraska.....how did thay who REDemption thing go?

hahahaahahahaha

FALL FLAT ON YOUR FACE

jaux
10/20/2010, 11:50 AM
It was easy for Cornhusker fans to be the best fans in the world when they were trouncing everyone. Those days are long gone.

Couldn't agree more. Every fan base abuses their success, including us but no one gets the ungodly love and adoration that the corn people do from every frickin' announcer and writer and yet does not deserve it.

Chuck Bao
10/20/2010, 12:02 PM
Wonderful. With this story getting out, it'll do wonders for Nebraska recruiting. Fans harassing or booing student athletes sends just the right message that they better not screw up.

reddfoxx
10/20/2010, 03:54 PM
Leave the kid alone... He's just a kid.

Now Bo, he's 40, he's a man!

VA Sooner
10/20/2010, 10:13 PM
Kid made a mistake... a big mistake.

Yes, he cost them the game. Cost them the top 5 ranking. Cost them a possible shot at the national championship.

But to mock him? He's just a kid.

Fans...

Flying Scotsman
10/20/2010, 10:22 PM
I think OUr fans were brutal during the Blake years....to the point of not showing up to games.

oudavid1
10/20/2010, 10:50 PM
I cant imagine saying anything except good game to any of our players, even after the tech game last year.

Sooner70
10/21/2010, 06:21 AM
Wonder if the stadium expansion is on hold?

Anyway, it was Nebraska's game to win, and their receivers blew it. Can't drop those kind of balls and be a title contender. Wasn't the QB's fault, but he got pulled anyway.

Got to hand it to Mack Brown & his coaching crew. They spied Martinez well and prevented his feet from hurting them, forcing the pass. Pass didn't work for Huskers. Texas had a really good defensive game plan, and seems they turned Gilbert loose a bit to exploit his running abilities. Glad they didn't do that at the RRR.

RedstickSooner
10/21/2010, 09:53 AM
I dunno. I get that these are just kids, but if we'd lost a game like that -- where our players simply failed fundamentally to do the things that their positions called for -- would I have yelled something at one of the kids in question, had I seen him after?

I mean, probably not. I guess. But, hell, if you don't like catcalls -- don't drop passes. By the time you're starting at wideout for a Division 1-A team (or whatever they call us now that they've started this fruity FCS crap) in college, I kinda think you should be able to catch.

It's like not being able to make a 25 yard field goal. Man up. Take the criticism. It isn't like anyone threw bricks at the guy, is it? Cut his tires? They just told him he sucked.

...and, well, didn't he?

Sooner Brewcrew
10/21/2010, 09:59 AM
I guess not all there fans are so polite after all.

RedstickSooner
10/21/2010, 01:22 PM
Most "good" fanbases only need the wrong kind of stimulation to become giant doooooooouches. LSU fans are a great example. I swear to all of my fellow Sooners that they used to be great fans -- fun to hang out with, easy going, friendly, etc. It wasn't 'til Saban got their expectations up that they turned into a-holes.

Statalyzer
10/21/2010, 02:05 PM

Then why did Miami have such a hard time with it? And why does Ohio State not have a reputation for being a great fanbase?

Another myth busted: the classiest fans.

It really did use to be true. It isn't true about them anything.

The Nebraska fans of a decade ago wouldn't have harrassed their own players and booed opposing players for getting injured.

oudavid1
10/21/2010, 02:14 PM
I dunno. I get that these are just kids, but if we'd lost a game like that -- where our players simply failed fundamentally to do the things that their positions called for -- would I have yelled something at one of the kids in question, had I seen him after?

I mean, probably not. I guess. But, hell, if you don't like catcalls -- don't drop passes. By the time you're starting at wideout for a Division 1-A team (or whatever they call us now that they've started this fruity FCS crap) in college, I kinda think you should be able to catch.

It's like not being able to make a 25 yard field goal. Man up. Take the criticism. It isn't like anyone threw bricks at the guy, is it? Cut his tires? They just told him he sucked.

...and, well, didn't he?

This is a great point, for me though having played in high school, i saw first hand how insensitive people can be. Not to me, but my teammates. I just think that people should respect that the player was trying and deserves maybe nothing said at all. You know he feels worse about it than they do.

soonerborn30
10/21/2010, 02:30 PM
I don't know about that one, Dave. I used to party with a few of the players back around '00-'02. I remember one loss in particular I was pissed about, and when I talked to the guy he was just like "meh. we lost. it's cool, we'll win next week." He couldn't have cared less. I'm not saying he's the rule, but they don't all have the greatest attitudes.

jumperstop
10/21/2010, 02:37 PM
I don't know about that one, Dave. I used to party with a few of the players back around '00-'02. I remember one loss in particular I was pissed about, and when I talked to the guy he was just like "meh. we lost. it's cool, we'll win next week." He couldn't have cared less. I'm not saying he's the rule, but they don't all have the greatest attitudes.

Yeah but they're players, they can't beat themselves, the coaches, or other players up all week worrying about a loss. They have to get back on the field and continue playing. They might just be a bit more rational than us fans after lossing a game. Sometimes in football you lose.

That said, I don't think any fan should heckle or boo any player on thier team. It's not like the Nebbish reciever dropped the ball on purpose. He was probably trying his best and that wasn't good enough. Maybe he should have been better, but that is not the place of the fans to tell him that. Leave that up to coaches and himself to work on.

mainline13
10/21/2010, 02:56 PM
I am pretty sure that OUr fans would never be verbally abusive to ol' Skillet Hands, or anything.

BillyBall
10/21/2010, 03:24 PM
I am pretty sure that OUr fans would never be verbally abusive to ol' Skillet Hands, or anything.

Are you referring to Adron Tennel?