PDA

View Full Version : Know Their Quarterback: Blaine Gabbert

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 04:27 PM
6'5
235 lb junior

Gabbert is probably the best recruit that Pinkel has landed..He was a better NFL prospect coming out of high school than Daniel was as a senior.

Gabbert probably has one of the top 10 arms in college football as far as strength..He throws the ball on the run as well as anybody.. He has the ability to make a lot of plays with his legs..big and strong like Arnaud, but a much, much better passer, he can break tackles but instead of scrambling, be patient enough to still look downfield. Based on measurables alone, if he left this season, he would probably be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick..Before you tell me I'm crazy, most of you thought I was crazy when I said Josh Freeman would be an early QB pick..His accuracy is about where you would want it in this system...65 percent is probably about the bench mark in their offense..shouldn't be any lower than that..He is at 66%..

Expect a lot of slant routes...Quick passes to TJ Moe, a very good athlete with the ball in his hands..they'll do a lot of the same things OU does with Broyles.

Weaknesses...Locks on to a receiver a little too early and too much..He doesn't turn it over a lot but does force the throw sometimes when he feels pressure.

Gabbert didn't play well against good teams last year..Accuracy was low, panicked in the pocket some. Didn't really play very good against San Diego St...Gabbert can get a little streaky..If he gets in a rhythm, he'll hit every throw..But he loses that accuracy a little too much at times. I've seen him get pressured and throw the ball up for grabs..

What to expect...Gabbert has not faced a very strong defense this year, so its hard to say what he will do. I do expect the Tigers to do some of the same things that Cincinnati does. This is a game where one of these corners could get a pick 6, probably Hurst if they are aggressive enough on the short routes..I think the play of Carter is going to be very important in this one also.

Watch for Beal to get an edge and knock the ball out of his hands..Once they get their hands on him, they have to bring him down. If they can stuff their occasional run play, the Sooners should win this game.

swardboy
10/19/2010, 04:29 PM
So, we have a chance?

yankee
10/19/2010, 04:31 PM
i look forward to these each week. thank STEP. :gary:

i was listening to the REF today, and myron had a writer from the columbia newspaper on. he also said that gabbert gets happy feet, and rushes out of the pocket. kinda like landry earlier this season...the aggy game was the first game this season where he looked really good this year. according to the writer, of course.

KantoSooner
10/19/2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks STEP. As always, you da man.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 04:39 PM
i look forward to these each week. thank STEP. :gary:

i was listening to the REF today, and myron had a writer from the columbia newspaper on. he also said that gabbert gets happy feet, and rushes out of the pocket. kinda like landry earlier this season...the aggy game was the first game this season where he looked really good this year. according to the writer, of course.

Looking through his games, they haven't asked him to do much on offense so far..he's completing his throws but not the amount of TD passes you would expect..they have 5 players who have rushing TDs though...

Its not the most prolific offensive stats they've had, but the defense has done what they needed to do up to this point

OK2U
10/19/2010, 04:54 PM
Gabbert On ESPN talking about the matchup
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5704144&categoryid=2564308

OK2U
10/19/2010, 04:56 PM
he looks like a pool cleaner
hahaha

badger
10/19/2010, 04:57 PM
Gabbert is probably the best recruit that Pinkel has landed.

One thing you didn't mention that is worth noting since ESPN keeps bringing it up - Gabbert is allegedly Mizzou's first-ever 5-star recruit.

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 04:59 PM
Not sure what this is about so I went ahead and posted it. :D

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/74653/2prb9c3.jpg

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:00 PM
Guess he's Wisconsin's QB too......

http://www.otherteamsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mizzougabbert1.jpg

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:02 PM
When he ain't cookin' on the field....he's cookin' off the field....

http://media.columbiamissourian.com/multimedia/2010/09/17/media/Picture_1_t_w600_h1200.png

Whet
10/19/2010, 05:04 PM
we're doomed! :rolleyes:

TahoeSOONER
10/19/2010, 05:05 PM
Gabbert got hurt two weeks ago, hip pointer or vagina flutter, so it will be important to get him moving around and on the ground.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 05:07 PM
He's accurate enough for a spread offense, but not for anything else. His OL isn't great and their running game is just okay. If our DL handles their OL without letting their RBs gash us then we should be fine.

No way is he as strong as Arnaud though. If Macon gets a hold of him, Justin Bieber is going down.

OK2U
10/19/2010, 05:08 PM
Check out his high school team's totally-not-gay longhorns motif.
http://www.elitefootball-stl.com/blaine_gabbert_drop.jpg

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:08 PM
This is kind of what I'd like to see from him on Saturday....just replace Suh with a Sooner....

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/suh-poster.jpg

The Ghost of Mex
10/19/2010, 05:12 PM
...reminds me of "Blane" from the cult classic "Airborne"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518h3u7kdGL._SS400_.jpg

classic tool!!!

http://www.antiqueadvertiser.com/Collectables/Tools/HandDrill.jpg

badger
10/19/2010, 05:12 PM
I wish Mizzou's QB had a cool nick like Iowa State's "Or Not" that we could giggle about throughout the game... hell, even that whorn Gilbert Grape is easier to mock!

Blaine Gabbert. Nope, nothing to work with. Guess we'll just have to laugh at his on-field performance.

TigerMatt
10/19/2010, 06:06 PM
he looks like a pool cleaner
hahaha

Haha! He does.

The Ghost of Mex
10/19/2010, 07:04 PM
I wish Mizzou's QB had a cool nick like Iowa State's "Or Not" that we could giggle about throughout the game... hell, even that whorn Gilbert Grape is easier to mock!

Blaine Gabbert. Nope, nothing to work with. Guess we'll just have to laugh at his on-field performance.

Blaine "GAY"bert...

"BLAND" Gabbert...

"TAME" Gabbert...

"SLAIN" Gabbert...

TigerFan4Life
10/19/2010, 07:31 PM
He's accurate enough for a spread offense, but not for anything else. His OL isn't great and their running game is just okay. If our DL handles their OL without letting their RBs gash us then we should be fine.

No way is he as strong as Arnaud though. If Macon gets a hold of him, Justin Bieber is going down.

I think our OL is one of our strengths and one of the tops in the conference. Experienced, big and have not given up many sacks.

yankee
10/19/2010, 07:40 PM

their running game isn't okay, it's the suck.

Mark_in_Tulsa
10/19/2010, 08:25 PM
Blaine "GAY"bert...

"BLAND" Gabbert...

"TAME" Gabbert...

"SLAIN" Gabbert...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=&q=bee+gees&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en___US375&ie=UTF-8&biw=1366&bih=568

Think about it....

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 08:28 PM
I think our OL is one of our strengths and one of the tops in the conference. Experienced, big and have not given up many sacks.

Well I do know this much... Missouri has allowed less sacks this season than OU. We have allowed 10 in 6 games. They have allowed 7 in 6 games.

I know that is not a staggering number but we are on pace to allow over20 sacks this season.

AlbqSooner
10/19/2010, 08:38 PM
"It's gonna be a high powered offense against a high powered defense so you are gonna see a lot of points scored."

WTF????? Kinda like in the MNC game in 2000?

Mark_in_Tulsa
10/19/2010, 08:39 PM
Well I do know this much... Missouri has allowed less sacks this season than OU. We have allowed 10 in 6 games. They have allowed 7 in 6 games.

I know that is not a staggering number but we are on pace to allow over20 sacks this season.

Due to him only throwing short passes.

TigerFan4Life
10/19/2010, 08:41 PM
Due to him only throwing short passes.

Is that a bad thing? Positive yardage > negative yardage

THE-JROD
10/19/2010, 08:49 PM

I predict after Saturday, they will have allowed more than us!!

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 08:51 PM

The ball leaves his hand before the defensive line gets to him.

Mark_in_Tulsa
10/19/2010, 08:56 PM

Nope. Just showing the limitations of his game.

Collier11
10/19/2010, 08:59 PM
STEP, watchin some of his highlights you see that he has a really fast release and does get by on his arm strength. I saw several throws against A&M that couldve been picked off with a better D but the arm strength just got the ball past the defender.

They showed on ESPN today that before every throw he pats the ball with his left hand, a good indicator for our DBs possibly. Im thinking he will make a cpl plays downfield due to his escapability but I think we get atleast 2 picks

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:01 PM

Sacks is often an overrated stat, 1st, Mizzou hasnt played a D nearly as good as ours. 2nd, Landry caused several of those sacks early in the year by not getting rid of the ball. 3rd, just look at last week, we may Arnauds life a living hell and only got 2 sacks.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 09:02 PM
Sacks is often an overrated stat, 1st, Mizzou hasnt played a D nearly as good as ours. 2nd, Landry caused several of those sacks early in the year by not getting rid of the ball. 3rd, just look at last week, we may Arnauds life a living hell and only got 2 sacks.

We also chased USU's qtrbk around, but he was soooo lucky it seemed.

Collier11
10/19/2010, 09:06 PM
Who said anything about luck? Also, Gabbert isnt even close to as mobile as that guy was

THE-JROD
10/19/2010, 09:08 PM
Gabbert will have 3 turnovers on the day, and 5 sacks

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:10 PM

Through his legs he is...

Another one of those kids who will be a better NFL QB than a college qb ala Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc..

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:10 PM
STEP, watchin some of his highlights you see that he has a really fast release and does get by on his arm strength. I saw several throws against A&M that couldve been picked off with a better D but the arm strength just got the ball past the defender.

They showed on ESPN today that before every throw he pats the ball with his left hand, a good indicator for our DBs possibly. Im thinking he will make a cpl plays downfield due to his escapability but I think we get atleast 2 picks

yeah, especially if he feels pressure, he will force some in...

I've seen the ball patting thing...lots of quarterbacks do that as a rhythm thing..

I agree with the picks...really should be able to take one back

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:53 PM
If anything, this style of offense holds him back a little..doesn't get opportunities to throw the ball the way he can...but the guy has ran it pretty patiently..

Some QBs, if you keep only giving them underneath, eventually they get tired of it and will force one down the field...Gabbert for the most part will keep taking that underneath route..

on his release, he is exactly opposite of Arnaud in this...AA drops the ball down below the shoulder pads and then brings it back up and releases...Gabbert wastes little time..some of those throws you saw him make against AtM that you think should be picked off...He'll do the same again Saturday...not saying he wont get picked off but you'll think "why didnt the defender get that?''

Collier11
10/19/2010, 11:55 PM
Thats better

THE-JROD
10/19/2010, 11:58 PM
Thats better

Dammmmmmmmmm....so picky!!!

Sooner_Tuf
10/20/2010, 02:57 AM
He would be one dangerous dude if Maclin was still there. But he's not so ....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 12:50 PM
True....Maclin was a good fantasy play last week

ThinMan
10/22/2010, 02:10 PM

Only 7 sacks but 2 came from Colorado and 2 from Texas A&M. Those are the two conference games they have played.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 02:11 PM
hard to sack the quarterback on quick routes...not indicative of the Oline, more so of the play calling

Collier11
10/22/2010, 02:34 PM
Missouri's best win is against San Diego St, they are not a great team. We still need to play well but I just dont think they are as good as us, I hope im right :D

humblesooner
10/22/2010, 02:37 PM
Only 7 sacks but 2 came from Colorado and 2 from Texas A&M. Those are the two conference games they have played.

I thought I read somewhere that A&M had three sacks against MU.
I'll try to check it out.

Umm no. Checked both MU and A&M sites and both show 2.
Carry on.
:D

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 02:39 PM
Missouri's best win is against San Diego St, they are not a great team. We still need to play well but I just dont think they are as good as us, I hope im right :D

I dont think there is any question that they are not as good as OU...

Collier11
10/22/2010, 02:40 PM
The question is, will we show up on the road and be able to put them away if we get up

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 02:41 PM
bingo...

Reddoggie
10/22/2010, 03:01 PM
Well I can say that Gabbert gets rattled pretty easily by defensive pressure brought on by the Blackshirts last year. Get to him early, you've got it in the bag.

Plus, both him and his younger brother Tyler, have decommited from Nebraska, both with similar stories of doing so.

Get to him, rattle him, pick him off. Beat the $hit out of Mizz-WHO

KantoSooner
10/22/2010, 03:26 PM
Sounds good to me.

Sooner Brewcrew
10/22/2010, 03:31 PM
Check out his high school team's totally-not-gay longhorns motif.
http://www.elitefootball-stl.com/blaine_gabbert_drop.jpg

That's hillarious!!!!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2010, 04:21 PM
that uni makes chris simms look masculine

Tigeman
10/22/2010, 04:26 PM
that uni makes chris simms look masculine

Damn I thought that was ole Simsy! I just thought someone had snuck a picture of the time he took his uniform and tried to "Spice" it up a little b/c he thought that dreaded orange was just so abysmal!

Sooner_Tuf
10/22/2010, 07:32 PM
Here's to hoping Beal knocks his pointer in the dirt. :eek:

TigerNuts
10/22/2010, 10:36 PM
Well I can say that Gabbert gets rattled pretty easily by defensive pressure brought on by the Blackshirts last year.

Year-old smack? Do other players ever get better or does that only happen at OU?

VA Sooner
10/22/2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the insight STEP. Love these analyses.

TigerNuts
10/22/2010, 10:43 PM
The most important thing you need to know about BG is that he has a tendency to step either backwards or side-to-side when he feels pressure. This is bad. He has been better lately, but it's inconsistent. If he's stepping forward like he is supposed to, he is tough to beat (see TD to J. Jackson vs. CU). If he is stepping backwards or to the side, we are f--ked.

Okie35
10/22/2010, 11:16 PM
hard to sack the quarterback on quick routes...not indicative of the Oline, more so of the play calling

This... Think about the year we beat Tech at home. Their line was perceived good too because Harrell threw A LOT of quick passes.

Jacie
10/24/2010, 09:22 AM
Well, he looked pretty good out there.

Line vs. OU:

30-42, 308 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT's, no sacks and 8 rushes for 26 yards

OTOH, he really ought to consider coming out early since he will lose his senior-dominated O-line after this season . . .