PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:11 PM
I'm sure the players are realistic about their chances, but the fans in here are the most overconfident I have ever seen in SF.

Seriously. Even against some of the weak teams I have never seen fans consider a game essentially over before it began.

Is it that we think Missouri is that bad? Or is it because we have done so well against them in the past? Or both?

The hype here is very similar to the Husker banter before last week's game.

Whatever the reason, just remember how we played against USU. If we play like that against Missouri, especially if it is raining, we might end up in the Most Despondent Fan Base thread.

;)

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 03:13 PM
I'm sure the players are realistic about their chances, but the fans in here are the most overconfident I have ever seen in SF.

Seriously. Even against some of the weak teams I have never seen fans consider a game essentially over before it began.

Is it that we think Missouri is that bad? Or is it because we have done so well against them in the past? Or both?

Whatever the reason, just remember how we played against USU. If we play like that against Missouri, especially if it is raining, we might end up in the Most Despondent Fan Base thread.

;)

As long as the players are not as deluded as the fans, we might be OK.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:16 PM
I have noticed an obvious absence of the usual haters this week. Kinda worries me in all honesty. Curly Bill & Co., where are you? I really need a healthy does of hatin' on Wilson/V/Schmitty/etc. to balance out all the love here...

The
10/19/2010, 03:16 PM
As long as the players are not as deluded as the fans, we might be OK.

What if the players ARE fans? :gary:

Mad Dog Madsen
10/19/2010, 03:17 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/celebrity-pictures-hilton-attention-whore.jpg

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:17 PM
I have noticed an obvious absence of the usual haters this week. Kinda worries me in all honesty. Curly Bill & Co., where are you? I really need a healthy does of hatin' on Wilson/V/Schmitty/etc. to balance out all the love here...

Don't call out the bloodhounds just yet. Lose to Missouri and they'll be back, just like a runaway eight-year-old comes back when he gets hungry.

bmjlr
10/19/2010, 03:23 PM
FIRE VENEBLES...er....WILSON

WE'RE DOOMED!

:D

SoonerNation20
10/19/2010, 03:23 PM
If we play like that against Missouri, especially if it is raining, we might end up in the Most Despondent Fan Base thread.

;)

The rain benefits us IMO. MizzOU has no running game..

Overconfident.. Cocky.. whatever. Kid rock said it best..

'they say im cocky, and i say what? it aint braggin mother$#@%@ if you back it up'.

OU will own MizzOU souls. My prediction... Landry will go 31-34, 4 TDs, 0 INTs. I'm guessing we'll put up over 40 against the great MizzOU defense that has been tested by the likes of SDSU and TAMU.

badger
10/19/2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think this team can be too overconfident this year. They did a lot of losing last year after coming off a Big 12 title and national title game appearance the season before that.

They've tasted defeat and they never want to taste it again. 48 win streak, here we come! :D

:P

soonervegas
10/19/2010, 03:26 PM
Maybe the haters feel the players can win in spite of Venables.......

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 03:26 PM

Don't worry....they'll be back right after we lose this weekend. They know we're Doomed. :D

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:27 PM
'they say im cocky, and i say what? it aint braggin mother$#@%@ if you back it up'.

Actually, it is.

I hear that quote all the time: "It ain't bragging if you can back it up." Of course it's bragging. I mean, wtf?

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe the haters feel the players can win in spite of Venables.......

Or maybe they're just ****ing idiots who don't know dick about football?

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:29 PM
Actually, it is.

I hear that quote all the time: "It ain't bragging if you can back it up." Of course it's bragging. I mean, wtf?

I guess you don't remember Walter Brennan's "no brag, just fact."??

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 03:29 PM
I was hoping someone would finally explain what bragging is. :rolleyes:

SoonerNation20
10/19/2010, 03:30 PM
Actually, it is.

I don't think it's bragging; merely stating facts.

"We are better than you" isn't bragging because its true.

OU > Mizzou by alot.. not bragging.. just truth.

tator
10/19/2010, 03:30 PM

OU will own MizzOU souls. My prediction... Landry will go 31-34, 4 TDs, 0 INTs. I'm guessing we'll put up over 40 against the great MizzOU defense that has been tested by the likes of SDSU and TAMU.
I honestly never would have imagined that sentence ever being typed

Edit:
Unless it had to do with Natty Light or wife beaters. I could see that.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:36 PM

How so? Missouri circled the calender, we didnt. Missouri's DE is saying that he is going to knock down whoever gets in his way, we aren't. Nebraska was a big favorite with t-shirts made that said '.01', we havent made t-shirts. In fact the whole country thinks this team is a fraud, and you speak of overconfidence? When I read the statements of our players and coaches, they seemed to be focused on Mizzou, getting better, investing, and preparation.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:39 PM
Don't call out the bloodhounds just yet. Lose to Missouri and they'll be back, just like a runaway eight-year-old comes back when he gets hungry.

Actually, even at 6-0 some "fans" still dont believe in this team.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 03:41 PM

don't forget most of the media

stoops the eternal pimp
Im way overconfident...hope it doesnt hurt the team too bad

BoulderSooner79

The folks predicting the biggest margin of victory will be the ones carrying the torches and leading the lynch mob if Mizzou trips us up.

I'll try to calm your worries: I'm still irked at KW (or maybe Bob), for changing game plans at half time in Dallas. We *owned* those bastages in every aspect you can measure at half, but a 14 pt. lead is no where near having the thing sewn up. There was no reason to not continue in the 2nd half until the game was out of reach and letting the horns back in to where just a couple of bad bounce may have cost the game was inexcusable. I'll be watching you, KW.

Does that help? I figure Curly Bill can watch BV.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 03:42 PM
I'm so overconfident I'm almost scared that I might throw up just before coming out on the field on Saturday night....oh what? I'm not playing? Oh, ok....

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:43 PM
I'm so confident that I havent even read the scouting report or watched film of Missouri.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 03:45 PM
we are going to blast some music and come running through the front door of the house inside like its the tunnel...We are going to run over and tap the "Live..Laugh...Love" little wall painting thing as we run into the den and get in the huddle

texaspokieokie
10/19/2010, 03:47 PM
Actually, it is.

True, LL

braggin is braggin

if you can't back it up, it's lying.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 03:47 PM

Are you implying "fans" have to drink the koolaid to be real fans? Fans are fans and stupid people are stupid people, no need to confuse them.

TigerMatt
10/19/2010, 03:50 PM
How so? Missouri circled the calender, we didnt. Missouri's DE is saying that he is going to knock down whoever gets in his way, we aren't.

Do you have a link to this quote, or are you impersonating Stoops and just making **** up?

I have a hard time believing Pinkel would let any of his players say anything like that.

tator
10/19/2010, 03:50 PM
we are going to blast some music and come running through the front door of the house inside like its the tunnel...We are going to run over and tap the "Live..Laugh...Love" little wall painting thing as we run into the den and get in the huddle
I get so jacked up when I see you run into the den, STEP. You got swagga.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:51 PM
Are you implying "fans" have to drink the koolaid to be real fans? Fans are fans and stupid people are stupid people, no need to confuse them.

I'm not talking about drinking the Koolaid, but when people are constantly critical after wins, it raises some eyebrows. Every single team in college football have issues they need to address. No need to rake your team over the coals after they went out, played hard, and secured a victory.

noobalicious
10/19/2010, 03:51 PM
I'll start becoming confident if the Sooners win this game. I think the level of confidence has increased because this team seems to be coming together at the right time. All the trends are in the right direction. We have seen what they can do when they put together a complete game.

They are more disciplined this year than last, have been lucky in regards to major injuries, and have talent that most teams in the country envy.

It still scares me that their one true road game thus far was against Cincy and they almost handed that one away.

Soonerfan88
10/19/2010, 03:54 PM
“The leg is good to go,” Smith said. “I’m ready to take down whoever is in front of me. I’m playing, there’s no question about it. I feel like I’m 110 percent.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-missouri-smith

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:56 PM
Do you have a link to this quote, or are you impersonating Stoops and just making **** up?

I have a hard time believing Pinkel would let any of his players say anything like that.

Smith said. "I'm ready to take down whoever is in front of me. I'm playing, there's no question about it. I feel like I'm 110 percent."

Then there is this statement which makes no sense, because you should prepare your best for every game.

"I don't think it's just another game," he said. "I think we'll attack it differently, putting a lot more focus and dedication to this game."
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/10/18/missouri.smith.ap/index.html#ixzz12qATmKvL

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:59 PM
So what I read was "I'm gonna jack-cripple every Sooner sumbitch who lines up across from me. They're all gonna die."

There, that should do it.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 03:59 PM
I'll start becoming confident if the Sooners win this game. I think the level of confidence has increased because this team seems to be coming together at the right time. All the trends are in the right direction. We have seen what they can do when they put together a complete game.

They are more disciplined this year than last, have been lucky in regards to major injuries, and have talent that most teams in the country envy.

It still scares me that their one true road game thus far was against Cincy and they almost handed that one away.

Logically, you should have been afraid of ISU, because the worst team we played at home was USU, and we nearly gave that away as well. i would even argue that the RRR is more pressure than any road game we will play anywhere.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 04:00 PM
So what I read was "I'm gonna jack-cripple every Sooner sumbitch who lines up across from me. They're all gonna die."

There, that should do it.

"and hear the lamentation of their women and children"

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 04:02 PM
I'm not talking about drinking the Koolaid, but when people are constantly critical after wins, it raises some eyebrows. Every single team in college football have issues they need to address. No need to rake your team over the coals after they went out, played hard, and secured a victory.

Raking over the coals is not constructive, but analyzing a performance and how that projects to future games is the fun part of a message board. Wins and losses are over weighted when it comes to grading a team, but that's the BCS world we live in. We could have easily lost the Cincy game if that Woods kid doesn't foul up big time. It would *not* have changed how good or bad the OU team is right now, but would have certainly changed the conversation on this board. So looking at the Cincy game objectively is still relevant IMO, and just saying "we won, leave it alone" is not very informative.

adoniijahsooner
10/19/2010, 04:06 PM
Raking over the coals is not constructive, but analyzing a performance and how that projects to future games is the fun part of a message board. Wins and losses are over weighted when it comes to grading a team, but that's the BCS world we live in. We could have easily lost the Cincy game if that Woods kid doesn't foul up big time. It would *not* have changed how good or bad the OU team is right now, but would have certainly changed the conversation on this board. So looking at the Cincy game objectively is still relevant IMO, and just saying "we won, leave it alone" is not very informative.

You are right, because I was on Landry's *** early in season for his performance against USU, but I also wrote that i beleive he has what it takes to be a great qb in the same post. I just hate hearing that we suck defensively, KW sucks, Schmitty sucks, the horsepigs suck, BV should be fired, Landry is a fraidy cat, and other bull**** spoken ad nauseum.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:08 PM
You are right, because I was on Landry's *** early in season for his performance against USU, but I also wrote that i beleive he has what it takes to be a great qb in the same post. I just hate hearing that we suck defensively, KW sucks, Schmitty sucks, the horsepigs suck, BV should be fired, Landry is a fraidy cat, and other bull**** spoken ad nauseum.

Preach on my brotha! Pump the shine! Amen, Hallelujah, and glory be to God!

Howzit
10/19/2010, 04:12 PM
I guess you don't remember Walter Brennan's "no brag, just fact."??

What is, The Guns of Will Sonnett.

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 04:14 PM
Leetard what is wrong with some of our fans being confident in this team...all this team has done is win games against one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

East Coast Bias
10/19/2010, 04:14 PM
Part of the confidence I believe comes from all of realizing that all the teams we beat are turning out to be better teams than we thought. Florida State is a good example , as is Air Force. We have been the only loss for Florida State. They are a pretty good football team. I think the Air Force-TCU game this weekend might be rough for TCU. Truth is, it is going to take a pretty good team to beat OU, especially if we execute........

Howzit
10/19/2010, 04:15 PM
If I get any giddier about this game I'm gonna have to sit on my hands to keep from clappin'.

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 04:28 PM

I'm Confident it's true.

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 04:30 PM
Then there is this statement which makes no sense, because you should prepare your best for every game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/10/18/missouri.smith.ap/index.html#ixzz12qATmKvL

I'm not confident he'll read that.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 04:37 PM
Don't make me repost my Travis Lewis quote where he said we need to be more consistent before deserving the #1 spot.

soonerbub
10/19/2010, 04:40 PM
Are we just supposed to say "oh no we suck again" like the SCLSU mud dogs?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2010, 04:41 PM
the truth of the matter is that there aren't any great teams in college football this year. there are a bunch of decent ones with the added pressure of knowing that if they lose once, boise state and TCU are playing for all the marbles. not every team can handle that pressure.

enter us, this is more of a vintage stoops team (2000-2004) than in past years. they showed a quantum leap in growth from pre-texas to texas. and while we may not have texas, @ksu, bye, nebraska back to back to back, we have the schedule we were dealt and its brutal.

i think our chances are about even at this point. i only think that because of a game that mizzou fans are making fun of -> cincinatti. its that same game that gave me confidence against texas. cincinatti is not a good team, but that was offset by us being a YOUNG team and playing our first road game 1/2 way across the country. our freshmen looked like they were wearing cement shoes what with the combination of flight/hotel stay/etc. but that game gave the coaches so much ammunition to hammer home the importance of rest to the freshmen. against texas, you saw the freshmen playing at a much higher level.

this is important to note when we go into mizzou. this team has won 2 games away from home, even if they were ugly affairs. if we bring our A game and they bring their A game we squeak by. this is mainly because of turnovers - when we are on our A game we just don't give up the ball as much.

my biggest worry is the grass. the last 2 times we were there i couldn't see our player's numbers it was so high. wet grass is the suck for speedy teams.

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 04:47 PM
I feel if we score the most points , we will win. :D

The
10/19/2010, 04:48 PM

Now that's just crazy. :texan:

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 04:50 PM

Wrong. Haven't you heard that defense wins championships? We have to hold them to fewer points than we have.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2010, 04:51 PM
seriously? turf? when did that happen? i've only watched 2 mizzou games at their place in a decade ;-)

TucsonSooner
10/19/2010, 04:54 PM
Edit:
Unless it had to do with Natty Light or wife beaters. I could see that.

Is that a radio edit?:pop:

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:54 PM
First-timer from Tucson. You go to high school out there?

TucsonSooner
10/19/2010, 05:01 PM
First-timer from Tucson. You go to high school out there?

No sir, stationed out here, went to high school in Okahoma!

MamaMia
10/19/2010, 05:04 PM

Who will be the ones to blame if we lose; well them and that shaky quarterback. I don't "fear the stache" one bit. I think we'll win though...on account of I'm so positive. :P

OUEngr1990
10/19/2010, 05:11 PM
Mizzou always creams their pants when OU plays them, they will lose..

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 05:14 PM
No sir, stationed out here, went to high school in Okahoma!

Ah, a DMAFBer huh? I was raised about 3 miles NE of DM. Mom still lives there to this day.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 05:16 PM
Leetard what is wrong with some of our fans being confident in this team...all this team has done is win games against one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

You'll find out if they lose.

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:19 PM
You'll find out if they lose.

Don't live your life scared of saying.....

"WE'RE NUMBER 1 ! ! ! "

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 05:21 PM
"We are better than you" isn't bragging because its true.

No, the irritating aspect of bragging is that it is usually built on truth. Yes my brother has a pretty nice car. No doubt about it. I just hate to hear him bragging all the time about it.

Now if he didn't have a nice car, it wouldn't be bragging and I would call him on in it.

But back on subject: Confidence is one thing. But this board reminds me of the weeks prior to the bowl game against West Virginia.

And Boise St.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 05:28 PM
Don't live your life scared of saying.....

"WE'RE NUMBER 1 ! ! ! "

Exactly. You know what this reminds me of? 2000 when we were all just enjoying the ride because it was so unexpected. After last year, I certainly didn't expect to be undefeated at this point. Doesn't mean I expect us to win out, but who knows?

stoopified
10/19/2010, 05:29 PM
I am confident we will win and win by at least 10 because we are tested and the Tiggers aren't.Their best win is....?

cccasooner2
10/19/2010, 05:45 PM
But back on subject: Confidence is one thing. But this board reminds me of the weeks prior to the bowl game against West Virginia.

And Boise St.

I hope the recent past has taught everyone that (West Virginia and Boise St are good examples) it takes more than the word SOONERS written across the front of a jersey to win a football game. Go to a UCLA Bruin BB board sometime and you'll understand.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 05:47 PM
listening to some quotes from defensive players, I highly doubt fans being overconfident is going to have a bearing on them. Especially when the coaches keep drilling them with their poor statistical standings on defense so far this season.

TigerMatt
10/19/2010, 05:56 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-missouri-smith

Thank you very much. The actual quote doesn't seem as cocky as it sounded when it was paraphrased.

TigerMatt
10/19/2010, 06:00 PM
t
my biggest worry is the grass. the last 2 times we were there i couldn't see our player's numbers it was so high. wet grass is the suck for speedy teams.

Have you been smoking grass? :P Missouri hasn't had a grass field in about 9 years. One of the requirements Pinkel set down when he was hired was that the grass be torn up and replaced with field turf.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 06:36 PM
listening to some quotes from defensive players, I highly doubt fans being overconfident is going to have a bearing on them. Especially when the coaches keep drilling them with their poor statistical standings on defense so far this season.

I don't think it affects the team. But it does tend to require a lot more talking fans off the ledge when things don't quite work out as they should.

texas bandman
10/19/2010, 06:39 PM
I'm positive that Wilson will go conservative in his play calling and Venables will call his bend then break defense...fire them both before the game and bring in some quality coordinators. I think that John Blake might be available. ;)

ThinMan
10/19/2010, 07:12 PM

'they say im cocky, and i say what? it aint braggin mother$#@%@ if you back it up'."

That's awesome.

So those on here bragging will be backing it up when? Are they going to suit up or something?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2010, 08:12 PM
Have you been smoking grass? :P Missouri hasn't had a grass field in about 9 years. One of the requirements Pinkel set down when he was hired was that the grass be torn up and replaced with field turf.

this was the game i remember -> brad smith running around and us sliding all over the place

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1051

this one, nothing stands out

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1107

its not like we play at columbia a lot ;)

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 08:20 PM
I kind of like my signature! I have had that there since march!

Scott D
10/19/2010, 09:22 PM
I don't think it affects the team. But it does tend to require a lot more talking fans off the ledge when things don't quite work out as they should.

you can do that. I'm all for as many people out on those ledges nationwide as possible. I prefer having less competition in the job market.

finster
10/19/2010, 09:49 PM
Here ya go TigerMatt, I sent Bob a copy too.
http://i55.tinypic.com/rmmxeh.jpg

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 09:52 PM
Here ya go TigerMatt, I sent Bob a copy too.
http://i55.tinypic.com/rmmxeh.jpg

Dan Rather says that's authentic.

Always_Sooner
10/19/2010, 10:23 PM
I will be at the game rain or no rain, but I still think across board Oklahoma is the better team as we all know, and OU is built to play in any weather, but honestly in an hostile environment such Faurot field you have to bring at least your A- game to come out with a win. I think that Brent Venables schemes well for a spread offense, and Tony Jefferson playing spy and eying Gabbert. Offense the key is balance if Kevin Wilson and Company can find a rhythm where Landry is in that rhythm and making smart reads and throws that is vital. Murray having a hand in the offense is a must with a dose of Clay change of pace.

CatfishSooner
10/19/2010, 10:23 PM
I'm confident as ****!!!!!!

TahoeSOONER
10/19/2010, 10:26 PM
You gotta believe!!!

CrimsonRez
10/19/2010, 10:36 PM
We're #1, We're #1, We're #1, We're #1!!!!!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/19/2010, 10:46 PM

I was with you all the way until you got to "horsepigs."

ouwasp
10/19/2010, 11:00 PM
Gotta admit, as crappy as I felt after the Utah St contest....now I feel downright giddy!

It is a fan's right.

Part of the crappy feeling was no doubt due to the $ spent on the OU-USU ppv.

Sooner_Tuf
10/20/2010, 02:48 AM
I have only been to three games in Columbia and it has been few years but I have never thought of it as a hostile environment. They get real quiet when it is clear it is nut cuttin time for the Tigers.

Most of the smack I have heard there is directed at KU. They really hate all things KU. Which kinda sucks if you consider KU a rival. The only real action they ever had was when the went over and burned Lawrence down. Seems that like that would have pretty much settle any argument.