PDA

View Full Version : One of the many reasons for this team's better record

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 03:04 PM
and a big difference between 6-0 and 3-3(besides injuries)

2009 through 6 games

57 penalties for 522 yards

2010 through 6 games

40 penalties for 317 yards

2009117th in penalties
115th in penalties per game
120th in penalty yards
119th in penalty yards per game

2010(through 6 games)(some rankings off because some teams have played 7 games)

61st in penalties
72nd in penalties per game
43rd in penalty yards
58th in penalty yards per game

2009 penalties in the 1st 6 games

10-87(L) neutral field BYU
8-42(W) home field idaho state
11-110(W)home field Tulsa
7-79(L) away field Miami
11-79(W)home field Baylor
10-125(L) neutral field texas

2010 penalties in the 1st 6 games

7-70(W) home field Utah State
6-49(W) home field FSU
6-25(W) home field AF
13-113(W) away field Cincy
5-29(W) neutral field texas
3-31(W) home field ISU

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 03:07 PM
Isn't turnover margin a big swing for us this year as well? I know the D isn't forcing many, but we're not turning it over much as well.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:17 PM
Dropped passes vs. caught passes. I can guarantee you that this year we've caught a MUCH higher percentage of the passes that've hit somebody's hands.

tooslow
10/19/2010, 03:28 PM
The scary thing I noticed is that last year's 3 losses after 6 games were all away from home. We've played one true away game this year and won by 2 points over an average, at best, Cincy team. We will know fairly quick if this team has learned to play well on the road.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 03:32 PM
Isn't turnover margin a big swing for us this year as well? I know the D isn't forcing many, but we're not turning it over much as well.

12 turnover by OU through 6 games last season...forced 16 through 6 games
5 turnovers by OU through 6 games in 2010....forced 14 so far this season..

thats a huge difference

SoonerNation20
10/19/2010, 03:34 PM
I think another reason is Kevin Wilson learned a new play.. FB trap.. it's like christmas every time he calls that play on 3rd and short.

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 03:37 PM
I think another reason is Kevin Wilson learned a new play.. FB trap.. it's like christmas every time he calls that play on 3rd and short.

i know right?!?!? i think my nipples are hard enough to cut diamonds everytime i see the fb dive

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:49 PM

Think maybe it has something to do with who is playing FB?

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, saying "KW learned a new play" would be like saying "Dean just learned how to drink whiskey." If Wilson ran a FB dive/trap and it gets stuffed then you're back to the "****ing Wilson..." Meh.

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 03:52 PM

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, saying "KW learned a new play" would be like saying "Dean just learned how to drink whiskey." If Wilson ran a FB dive/trap and it gets stuffed then you're back to the "****ing Wilson..." Meh.

hey now our previous fullback had a GLORIOUS mullet. how could he be stopped for less than 3 yards?

SoonerNation20
10/19/2010, 03:53 PM

While i'll agree that Millard is a beast, i'm pretty sure that anyone on these forums could run through those holes. To me, it's because KW has been SO predictable on 3rd and short. Everyone in the stadium knew it was gonna be a handoff to DM, so when they do the FB trap, the defense is chasing the wrong guy.

I've never really knocked KW, other than how he plays scared when we get a lead, or when he calls the same play on every 3rd and short.

Boomer.....
10/19/2010, 03:53 PM
I thought you were going to say because of russell's predictions.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:05 PM
While i'll agree that Millard is a beast, i'm pretty sure that anyone on these forums could run through those holes. To me, it's because KW has been SO predictable on 3rd and short. Everyone in the stadium knew it was gonna be a handoff to DM, so when they do the FB trap, the defense is chasing the wrong guy.

I've never really knocked KW, other than how he plays scared when we get a lead, or when he calls the same play on every 3rd and short.

1. No you (or anyone on these forums) couldn't run through those holes. Millard bashes his way through, but like you said, he's a beast.

2. That's right, it's seemed "to you" that KW has been SO predictable on 3rd and short. You, and a couple hunnert drunken loudmouths knew it was gonna be a handoff to DM EVERY TIME.

3. I don't see KW "playing scared" when we get a lead. I see him trying to burn some clock - which may impact the timing of the hurry-up offense. If I have to knock KW, I'd say let the guys go to a huddle when they're trying to burn clock. That'd really **** up the opposition. I also see the players tightening up and making bonehead plays. Landry's fumble against UT is one that jumps right out at me. He just dropped the dang thing. How is that Wilson's fault?

The
10/19/2010, 04:06 PM
The fact that our third string tight end isn't starting at center this year could be a big factor as well.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:07 PM
Ya think?

The
10/19/2010, 04:07 PM
Nah, I'm just kidding.

Joe
10/19/2010, 04:28 PM
13-113(W) away field Cincy

Who the hell were the refs for that game?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 04:29 PM
That TE is playing in the NFL and was considered a top 6 draftable player at the CENTER position...Eldridge could have played about anywhere on the line and been the best player because he was one of the best blockers in college football period

If your talking about the TE Mensik who moved to tackle, he is still there because the guy is a heckuva pass blocker

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 04:35 PM
1. No you (or anyone on these forums) couldn't run through those holes. Millard bashes his way through, but like you said, he's a beast.

2. That's right, it's seemed "to you" that KW has been SO predictable on 3rd and short. You, and a couple hunnert drunken loudmouths knew it was gonna be a handoff to DM EVERY TIME.

3. I don't see KW "playing scared" when we get a lead. I see him trying to burn some clock - which may impact the timing of the hurry-up offense. If I have to knock KW, I'd say let the guys go to a huddle when they're trying to burn clock. That'd really **** up the opposition. I also see the players tightening up and making bonehead plays. Landry's fumble against UT is one that jumps right out at me. He just dropped the dang thing. How is that Wilson's fault?

Do we even know what a huddle is?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2010, 04:45 PM
you take out wort's first 3 games and we are probably barely breaking a 100

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:46 PM

It's what you and STEP do when you're scared of the dark.

Wait, that's cuddle. My bad.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 04:47 PM
Everyone knows the reason we've done so well is the "Delete Me" thread.

cccasooner2
10/19/2010, 04:53 PM

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jlv/lowres/jlvn310l.jpg

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 04:57 PM
It's what you and STEP do when you're scared of the dark.

Wait, that's cuddle. My bad.

I only do that with you!:cool:

goingoneight
10/19/2010, 05:06 PM
The fact that our third string tight end isn't starting at center this year could be a big factor as well.

Yeah... OUr third and fourth TE are plaing guard and tackle this year. :D

All in all, what the core of this team got out of 2009 is why they're better this year. When you're as good as you were in 2003/4 and in 2007/8, it's easy to believe that's the standard of play and not the exception. I still say this team is a LOT like the 2006 team, but they are much more settled at QB this time than ENA was. I loved the man of character PT was for us in '06, but his turnovers killed us against Tejas. Jones is without a doubt, much more settled in. We need the D to step up their game during the home stretch like that '06 team did. Looked pretty good Saturday night, but the challenges do get tougher than Iowa State at home.
We seem to be improving as we go, which is awesome. And I don't think we've had a freshman class fill the big shoes immediately before quite like the '10 class has.

agoo758
10/19/2010, 05:20 PM
People who are so wound up over the "we were bad vs Cinci on the road so we'll be bad vs mizzou on the road" forget that the Cinci game was by far the worst for us in terms of penalties, and we have since seemed to fix that so far. If we don't get double digits in penalties on Saturday, I'm convinced we'll win it easily.

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:21 PM
I heard it was because they got rid of the gatorade in the bottles and put OVJ in em.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 05:29 PM
People who are so wound up over the "we were bad vs Cinci on the road so we'll be bad vs mizzou on the road" forget that the Cinci game was by far the worst for us in terms of penalties, and we have since seemed to fix that so far. If we don't get double digits in penalties on Saturday, I'm convinced we'll win it easily.

I think the Cincy game is good one to look at when analyzing what needs to have improved since then. But it's not the penalties that would be my biggest worry, although every factor counts. I think the players started pressing in the 2nd half of that game and actually started to blow assignments. Isiah Pead is a good back, but we were making him look like the next winner of the stiff arm trophy. The 2nd half of the horn game looked similar on the surface, but I didn't get the same feeling. I felt that game was strictly a coaching thing and that the players kept their poise and played their assignments. I have no data to support that, but that's the way it "felt" watching the 2 games. Last week, we played our first complete game (and coached it that way). Yes, it was a weak team and at our place, but we still had not done that before when given the chance. So I am optimistic we have turned the corner, but this week will be proof to me.

TahoeSOONER
10/19/2010, 05:50 PM
Imposing our will on offense with a running game. It's keeping the defense off the field, plus preventing us from being one dimensional on offense, and wearing out the other teams defense in the hurry up.

Having the FB and TE back in our offense helps!

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 06:39 PM

He doesn't.

the_edge
10/19/2010, 07:48 PM
Also, while our yardage and scoring haven't been off the charts, we're leading the nation in first downs per game.