PDA

View Full Version : interesting read

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 02:21 PM
this will probably bore some of you to tears but, i was researching an offensive set for next years rug rat football team and came across this article.

for the record, i run double wing and i am looking at installing the option game....

so, here's what the article says about the "texas read" specifically about the passing game....

Quarterback read:
The quarterback’s read on Texas is the middle linebacker, he goes opposite of his movement. Or key his shoulders. If the middle linebackers shoulders open then the quarterback should look for the fullback. If the middle linebacker drops straight back leaving his shoulders square then the quarterback should look for the tight end. The quarterback’s drop is five big steps and hold. The quarterbacks progression is F,Y, Z, H.

this explains how in 2008 and 2009 these guys were exploiting the hell outta the MLBs...

KantoSooner
10/19/2010, 02:23 PM
Go A11. Should be fun!

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 02:25 PM
Go A11. Should be fun!

ive really thought about it but we have weight restrictions... half the team would be ineligible...

Landthief 1972
10/19/2010, 03:13 PM
Hey Jello, can you recommend any links for learning about some of the standard formations on offense and defense? I played O-line in high school and never bothered to learn anything outside of my position. I'm looking to brush up on theory, as well as understand what package work best in specific situations. Why, you ask?

So I can get better at NCAA Football 201x. LOL Right now I play the game like a very talented freshman - I make can stuff happen, but don't understand half of what's going on. I want to be able to read defenses/offenses and audible, so I can actually not get stomped when I play a real-life human being.

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 03:27 PM
knock yerself out yo.....

a bunch of the playbooks have in depth explanations of the play and how they are to develop...

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/collegeoffense/

also, many of them are specific to that school. i noticed that there are several late 90s big 12 playbooks as well as the jump ball offense by the 2005 version of the fighting gundys

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 03:38 PM
o yeh....if i find out i coach against you.....i'll cut you deep while you slumber.
:pop:

Landthief 1972
10/19/2010, 03:42 PM
o yeh....if i find out i coach against you.....i'll cut you deep while you slumber.
:pop:

ROFL! Nice! Heh, my oldest son is a freshman at Yukon who has no interest in football, and my other 3 kids (ages 13, 4 and 3) live in Arkansas with their mom. I think I can sleep tonight. :)

Thanks for the link, sir!

steebu
10/19/2010, 04:03 PM
So I can get better at NCAA Football 201x. LOL Right now I play the game like a very talented freshman - I make can stuff happen, but don't understand half of what's going on. I want to be able to read defenses/offenses and audible, so I can actually not get stomped when I play a real-life human being.

For basic information you can always take a look at the book series put out by Human Kinetics (www.humankinetics.com); they have all kinds of books on various sports. Football ones are here:

http://www.humankinetics.com/football-products?filter=product&filterType=21&fccs=204

That said, I wouldn't put too much stock into learning the real stuff so you can get good at the video game; most guys cheese when they play and it's not representative at all of how real football is played.

Still though, good luck learning - knowledge is power!

oudavid1
10/19/2010, 07:25 PM
if any of you play NCAA11 on Xbox 360, ill be more than happy to teach you some things

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 07:46 PM
I ran some variations of the double wing back when I coached young uns.

It seems with kids they dont realize you loaded a side until youre ten yards down the feild....lol