PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks stereotypes -- any baristas here?

3rdgensooner
10/19/2010, 01:38 PM
Which Starbucks Stereotype Are You? (http://consumerist.com/2010/10/which-starbucks-stereotype-are-you.html)

http://consumerist.com/stareotypes.jpg

While Starbucks is attempting to shake up its image with beer, wine and cured meat (http://consumerist.com/2010/10/inside-the-boozy-future-of-starbucks.html), one Starbucks barista did her best to categorize her customers -- and their likely order -- by everything from race to gender to occupation.

For example, this handy illustration available at yasrsly.com (http://www.yasrsly.com/starbuck-barista-sterotypes-customers/8070/) states that:

*If you're Mexican, you'll probably order a caramel Frapuccino (with extra caramello)

*If you're Asian, you'll enjoy a Black Iced Coffee

*If you're from India (which would also make you Asian, but the chart doesn't make such distinctions), you're going to order a chai.

*Old ladies will order something complicated and 200 degrees Fahrenheit (and will find something to complain about), while a teen girl will order a sweetened passion tea and giggle about it.

*Mechanics order mocha Frappuccino, but Soccer Moms are more complicated, ordering venti, non-fat, no-foam, no water, xtra-hot, double-cupped (w/ a sleeve) chai (or non-fat latte).

The chart even goes on to attempt to stereotype adults with braces, saying they will order "something just as awkward as an adult with braces."

To see the whole chart and where you fit on it, click here (http://www.yasrsly.com/starbuck-barista-sterotypes-customers/8070/).

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 01:41 PM
I either get a black coffee or a soy chai latte. So I'm apparently an old Indian man.

The
10/19/2010, 01:45 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2418/waisisza7.gif

Veritas
I get coffee, bold pick, black. Pretty manly. But then I have them put in a few ice cubes so my dainty mouth doesn't get singed. So that gheys it up a bit.

The
I get coffee, bold pick, black. Pretty manly. But then I have them put in a few ice cubes so my dainty mouth doesn't get singed. So that gheys it up a bit.
I thought you were a chick for some reason.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 01:49 PM
He is.

:P

Veritas
10/19/2010, 01:53 PM
He is.

:P
They call me Pat.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 01:55 PM
None of those really make sense. And calling someone at Starbucks a barista is like calling someone's kid that's good at "the internets" a tech expert.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 02:07 PM
I like the Baristas at the topless coffee joints.

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 10:13 AM
I am closest to the soccer mom, while my person of interest appears to be an old lady. :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
10/20/2010, 10:15 AM
I remember driving By one once, But aint ever been inside one .

3rdgensooner
10/20/2010, 10:17 AM
I apparently alternate between being Mexican and being Normal.

while my person of interest appears to be an old lady. :eek: :eek:I'm shocked and appalled.

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 10:21 AM

I'm shocked and appalled.

I suspected you would be.

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 05:26 PM
I'm the kind of person who would give up coffee forever before buying a single cup (or whatever they call it) from Starbucks.

And I like coffee very much.

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 05:27 PM
I remember driving By one once, But aint ever been inside one .

Do yourself a big favor and keep it that way.
Starbucks = over-priced super-pretentious horse crap.

olevetonahill
10/20/2010, 05:29 PM
I'm the kind of person who would give up coffee forever before buying a single cup (or whatever they call it) from Starbucks.

Not sure Id go that Far Bro, But then again i dont know , Cause Ive never set foot in one .

waynepayne
10/20/2010, 07:57 PM
I am closest to the soccer mom, while my person of interest appears to be an old lady. :eek: :eek:

I am not even on the list.

Tall Black Tea, Unsweetened.

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2010, 08:00 PM

BTK is stuck on Messican.

SoonerStud615
10/20/2010, 08:19 PM
As a barista myself. I love this. Especially the Mexican, child w/ and w/o parents and old man/woman part.

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 08:25 PM
I am not even on the list.

Tall Black Tea, Unsweetened.

There's a dirty joke in here somewhere, I just can't quite find it.

silverwheels
10/20/2010, 08:27 PM
What the hell is a Starbucks?

waynepayne
10/20/2010, 08:31 PM

don't act like you dont love you some Norah Jones...

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 08:33 PM

It's the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Both for having it and paying for it. I did find out the other day that McDonalds non fat mocha will work in a pinch.

waynepayne
10/20/2010, 08:34 PM

They are going to start serving wine and cheese just for you pretty boy.

silverwheels
10/20/2010, 08:38 PM
Cheese? Hell yeah! Not a big fan of wine, though. But I'll take a German or Belgian beer to go with that cheese.

waynepayne
10/20/2010, 08:43 PM
Cheese? Hell yeah! Not a big fan of wine, though. But I'll take a German or Belgian beer to go with that cheese.

regional wine and beer, yw.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2010-10-18-starbucks18_CV_N.htm

silverwheels
10/20/2010, 08:46 PM
That's fine, too. Just save the coffee and coffee-type drinks for the womenfolk. Beer in the morning for me, please.

Mississippi Sooner
10/20/2010, 08:47 PM
The only times I've been to Starbucks have been when I've been on business trips and it went on the expense account. They have some tasty drinks, but no way would I pay those prices out of my own pocket.

waynepayne
10/20/2010, 09:10 PM
It's really more of a milk bar than a coffee bar.

picasso
10/20/2010, 10:36 PM
Vanilla cappuccino with a triple shot of espresso.

picasso
10/20/2010, 11:01 PM
I did find out the other day that McDonalds non fat mocha will work in a pinch.

3 outta 4 times McD's cafe coffee is crap.

King Barry's Back
10/21/2010, 04:25 AM

What'chyoo talkin' 'bout Willis!?!

I agree that Starbucks is far, far, far from the best coffee, and it's quality -- even compared to Starbucks norms -- can be very low at some individual outlets, but I do have to take my hat off to the chairn.

If it wasn't for Starbucks Americans would never have experienced anything like proper coffee. Just those watered down "cups of Joe."

King Barry's Back
10/21/2010, 04:28 AM

Oh, now we're talkin'. Though German beer blows next to even average Belgian brews. And Germany probably has the second best beer in the world.

Yeah, Belgian beer is that good. (Lived in Brussels for four year, and have lived in Germany for 14 mos now.)

I am six hours from Brussels and have a store room stocked with my fav Belgians I stocked up on last time I drove up. That's how I avoid drinking the boring German stuff.

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 07:43 AM
What'chyoo talkin' 'bout Willis!?!

I agree that Starbucks is far, far, far from the best coffee, and it's quality -- even compared to Starbucks norms -- can be very low at some individual outlets, but I do have to take my hat off to the chairn.

If it wasn't for Starbucks Americans would never have experienced anything like proper coffee. Just those watered down "cups of Joe."

Yo. No good coffee before Star*uck's ?!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You live in the wrong town.
If you have to learn to speak some ghey-o little language just to get an over-priced cup of coffee, then drink tea. forget the coffee, the entire Star*ucks concept = ****. It's proof that lots of Americans are gullible.

:P :P

olevetonahill
10/21/2010, 07:48 AM
FTMFW:D

http://usa-ebiz.com/web-marketing/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/folgers1.jpg

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 08:04 AM
FTMFW:D

http://usa-ebiz.com/web-marketing/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/folgers1.jpg

And I just deleted by pic of Mrs Olsen! <shakes head sadly>

olevetonahill
10/21/2010, 08:19 AM
And I just deleted by pic of Mrs Olsen! <shakes head sadly>

If ya had left it we could have Ruled this thread fer Folgers :D

picasso
10/21/2010, 09:03 AM
Yo. No good coffee before Star*uck's ?!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You live in the wrong town.
If you have to learn to speak some ghey-o little language just to get an over-priced cup of coffee, then drink tea. forget the coffee, the entire Star*ucks concept = ****. It's proof that lots of Americans are gullible.

:P :P

concept? You mean a good tasting product with more caffeine than it's competitors?

Agreed.

This is still the best place in Tulsa:

http://www.doubleshotcoffee.com/DoubleShot.html

3rdgensooner
10/21/2010, 09:43 AM
This is still the best place in Tulsa:

http://www.doubleshotcoffee.com/DoubleShot.html
That place does have amazing coffee. I stopped going there when the owner gave me hell for only buying a half pound of beans.

If you want to talk about pretentious, he's the poster boy.

saucysoonergal
10/21/2010, 09:44 AM
That place does have amazing coffee. I stopped going there when the owner gave me hell for only buying a half pound of beans.

Well, it is Tulsa, so that is a given. ;)

3rdgensooner
10/21/2010, 09:45 AM
Well, it is Tulsa, so that is a given. ;)
Haha, I grew up in OKC and most of my family is still there but I have lived in Tulsa for a long time.

I think the bickering is stupid.

picasso
10/21/2010, 09:45 AM

He's beyond that. But hey, I just order and ignore the guy.

soonerchk
10/21/2010, 09:48 AM
3 outta 4 times McD's cafe coffee is crap.

I"m drinking one of their mochas right now and it's pretty good. Not as good as a skinny vanilla latte, but I was short on time this morning.

picasso
10/21/2010, 10:02 AM
I"m drinking one of their mochas right now and it's pretty good. Not as good as a skinny vanilla latte, but I was short on time this morning.

I'm just telling you. I've ordered a ton from them the past year and it's rare they get it right. Usually it's burnt or just tastes like total crap and undrinkable.
And that's from various locations.

One time we even drove back several miles to tell them it sucked.:D

soonerchk
10/21/2010, 10:11 AM
I'm just telling you. I've ordered a ton from them the past year and it's rare they get it right. Usually it's burnt or just tastes like total crap and undrinkable.
And that's from various locations.

One time we even drove back several miles to tell them it sucked.:D

Weird, because that's been the exact opposite of my experience. Maybe they just like me better?:P