PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Cookware

Veritas
10/19/2010, 01:38 PM
Since a woman's place is in the kitchen and my wife knows her place, I'm buying her the best SS cookware I can find for XMas. Trouble is that there seems to be no consensus as to which is best. I've heard that it tends to warp, even the expensive stuff like All-Clad.

Anybody got thoughts on the matter?

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 01:56 PM
I hate most stainless steel crap. Restaurants rarely use it anyway.

Fraggle145
10/19/2010, 02:01 PM
Calphalon. YWIA.

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 02:04 PM
My esposita, who knows her way around some pots and pans, has Calphalon.

Oldnslo
10/19/2010, 02:23 PM
I like Calphalon, except when my kids put it through the dishwasher.

Then, I like my SS cookware.

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 02:36 PM
Might not be what you're looking for, but we started buying Le Creuset one piece at a time (since it costs a ****ing fortune) and I gotta admit the **** is legit.

http://www.lecreuset.com/en-us/

SanJoaquinSooner
10/19/2010, 02:44 PM
Somehow you need to let her, unwittingly, tell you what she wants. She's doing the cooking, right?

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:58 PM
Since a woman's place is in the kitchen and my wife knows her place, I'm buying her the best SS cookware I can find for XMas. Trouble is that there seems to be no consensus as to which is best. I've heard that it tends to warp, even the expensive stuff like All-Clad.

Anybody got thoughts on the matter?

Try to get someting that won't hurt too much when she bashes you on the head with it for buying her such a "thoughtful" gift. Better yet, get her a vaccuum cleaner that's probably to heavy for her to smack you with. YWIA!

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 03:01 PM
If you're a dude, and your name ain't Emeril or Jake, you knowing about cookware makes you uber homo. Homo.

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 03:27 PM
If you're a dude, and your name ain't Emeril or Jake, you knowing about cookware makes you uber homo. Homo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kxzrs8j1eOc/SREOwVvw2CI/AAAAAAAABvs/Dx3m2qixXNw/s400/BigGayAl.jpg

What?

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 03:36 PM

What if it's a cast iron skillet?

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 03:37 PM

With biscuits, cooking in bacon grease.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 03:37 PM

Borderline. IF it's used over an open wood fire.

soonerboomer93
10/19/2010, 03:38 PM
and knives?

3rdgensooner
10/19/2010, 03:38 PM
Uh no, men who can cook are hot.

Oldnslo
10/19/2010, 03:51 PM
I can talk about smoking all manner of meats outside, but I can't discuss cooking inside? Because that makes me gay.

check.

How about when I put on cooking demonstrations? In my ATTORNEY ADAM apron!

Veritas
10/19/2010, 04:31 PM
I thought it was my love for **** that made me homo. Gawd I'm cornfused.

Might not be what you're looking for, but we started buying Le Creuset one piece at a time (since it costs a ****ing fortune) and I gotta admit the **** is legit.

We have a bunch of their porcelain coated cast iron stuff...love it...but she wants clear lids on the SS and the LC stuff has stainless lids.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 04:36 PM
Uh no, men who can cook are hot.

Positively dreamy...

Unlike stainless steel cookware, which sucks. Calaphon or LeCruset. If you don't want to go that high dollar, Giada has her name on a line at Target that I'm liking.

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 04:46 PM
You could be like a restaurant kitchen and just buy aluminum pots and pans that are cheaper to replace once they've warped beyond repair or have been scratched and scraped to death by steel wool scrubbers.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:52 PM
Why in the hell would anyone coat a cast-iron skillet with porcelain? The whole point of the cast iron is to get seasoned up over the years so that everything cooked in it tastes like mother****ing bacon.

And I never said it was gay to cook (although I do think it is a bit girly-girl). I said knowing all kinds of **** about fancy cookware is gay. Just like knowing WTF muave, fuscia, and salmon are. I'll bet some of you fancy cook boys have muave Calaphony pots and pans. Homo.

The
10/19/2010, 04:53 PM
Why in the hell would anyone coat a cast-iron skillet with porcelain? The whole point of the cast iron is to get seasoned up over the years so that everything cooked in it tastes like mother****ing bacon.

And I never said it was gay to cook (although I do think it is a bit girly-girl). I said knowing all kinds of **** about fancy cookware is gay. Just like knowing WTF muave, fuscia, and salmon are. I'll bet some of you fancy cook boys have muave Calaphony pots and pans. Homo.

Salmon is a tasty fish. :texan:

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 04:54 PM
I don't see how it's girly to cook when the profession of "chef" has been dominated by males for centuries. In fact, only men could cook for kings back in the middle ages. And judging from all of the injuries that I have sustained and worked through, I don't think it's girly at all.

Although, pastry work is kinda feminine.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 04:59 PM
In my house, and my father's house, and his father's house the womens did the cooking - except meat outdoors.

The men did the manly work. Why **** up a good thing? The only time one of the guys cooked was when we were hunting or fishing, and trust me, the girls do it a hell of a lot better - even though some of you think men do. You're the ones who think a man can give better head cause he knows what feels good. Me? I'll leave that to the women folk.

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 05:01 PM
Well, in restaurants, men have predominantly been the people who have cooked your food. And working around sharp objects and stuff that's on fire isn't manly? Sure, whatever you say.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 05:04 PM
Professional chef making big bucks? Not gay.

Cooking while your wife is sitting in a chair watching Oprah? Gayer than a muh****ah.

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 05:07 PM
Better than you watching Oprah.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 05:08 PM
Well at least straighter than me watching Oprah.

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 05:09 PM
Dean doesn't watch Oprah. He watches Ellen. Keep up.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah. So there.

sooner ngintunr
10/19/2010, 05:21 PM

That's the route I'm going.

I bought my wife a 8 qt Le Creuset dutch oven last Christmas. It is a work of art that cooks unbelievable. Awesome stuff.

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 05:28 PM

OK Salmon I know, Ya make Salmon patties out of it.
But them other 2 got me stumped.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 05:32 PM

Trust me when I tell you that there is nothing girly about the Voltaggio brothers... *dreamy sigh*

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 05:37 PM
****, if I left the cooking to baj we'd be dead. She's gotten better, but that was from the "hilariously toxic" works of yesteryear. I learned to cook because eating out was too expensive and creating culinary masterpieces like PB&J were boring after awhile.

And I loves me some PB&J.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 05:40 PM
OK Salmon I know, Ya make Salmon patties out of it.
But them other 2 got me stumped.

Fuchsia is pretty, mauve is not. That's really all you need to know.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 06:07 PM
So what are they? sisters?

3rdgensooner
10/19/2010, 06:15 PM
And I never said it was gay to cook (although I do think it is a bit girly-girl).

Cooking while your wife is sitting in a chair watching Oprah? Gayer than a muh****ah.
You seem confused.

Fuchsia is pretty, mauve is not. That's really all you need to know.I disagree.

Veritas
10/19/2010, 06:48 PM
Well, I don't care what you're doing, if your wife is watching Oprah you need to slap that bitch. She'll rot the brain out of anyone's head.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 07:05 PM
****, if I left the cooking to baj we'd be dead. She's gotten better, but that was from the "hilariously toxic" works of yesteryear. I learned to cook because eating out was too expensive and creating culinary masterpieces like PB&J were boring after awhile.

And I loves me some PB&J.
I can see it...
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6195/greenacres.jpg

Baj: Norman Pride, dahling, vood you like me to make you some hots cakes?
NP: No thanks, I'll just eat this newspaper.

Chuck Bao
10/19/2010, 07:08 PM
The only thing I know about colors is what I learned from my 12-box of crayons in elementary school. My family wouldn't buy me the 36-box set. Is muave, fuscia and salmon part of the 36-box set? Okay, I do have an idea what color salmon is.

Chuck Bao
10/19/2010, 07:12 PM
Also, I don't think buying more expensive cookery will, at all, improve my cooking skills. In my experience, it is best to buy cheap stuff so I can just throw the pan and all of its contents in one easy go. And, yes, Dean, I am indeed a homo.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 07:39 PM
Also, I don't think buying more expensive cookery will, at all, improve my cooking skills. In my experience, it is best to buy cheap stuff so I can just throw the pan and all of its contents in one easy go. And, yes, Dean, I am indeed a homo.

And I'd bet my left nut you could cook up a gourmet meal with a sheet of tin foil, a plastic spoon, and some motor oil. That's why I love ya Chuck.:D

A Sooner in Texas
10/19/2010, 07:47 PM
Positively dreamy...

Unlike stainless steel cookware, which sucks. Calaphon or LeCruset. If you don't want to go that high dollar, Giada has her name on a line at Target that I'm liking.

Gotta agree with the other ladies. A man who can cook (among other things) is hot.

And glad to know about Giada's cookware...I'll have to check that out.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 08:02 PM
Gotta agree with the other ladies. A man who can cook (among other things) is hot.

And glad to know about Giada's cookware...I'll have to check that out.

Good. And you know what's hot to me? A beautiful woman presenting a beautiful meal. Sorry, but some feminine dude - or even Fabio hisself - feeding you Mydol on stems cannot touch a ham sandwich presented by a gorgeous female. It's law.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 09:29 PM
Good. And you know what's hot to me? A beautiful woman presenting a beautiful meal. Sorry, but some feminine dude - or even Fabio hisself - feeding you Mydol on stems cannot touch a ham sandwich presented by a gorgeous female. It's law.

Voltaggio boys are gonna shank you for that.

Well Bryan probably won't, but Michael for sure will.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 09:32 PM
I ain't scared of no fagtollio boys. Especially named Bryan and Michael. Are these guys "life partners" or just "soul mates?"

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 09:35 PM
Brothers. And don't come crying to me when you have a filleting knife stuck in your throat.

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 09:40 PM
Only a fag would bring a fish knife to a gun fight.

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 09:48 PM
Wait, so now real men need guns to deal with girly men?

C&CDean
10/19/2010, 10:00 PM
Well, yeah. Them girly men will cut you. Bad.

Preservation Parcels
10/19/2010, 10:20 PM
There are presents for a wife, and there are presents for the house. They are not the same things. If the house needs something, get it; there is no need to wait for a holiday. If you want to give a present to your wife, give her something that is thoughtful and shows high regard for her and not just her ability to cook for you.

Signed,
29 years married to a very respected and appreciated man

P.S. If you still want to give her pans, put some jewelry, chocolate, or something delightful inside.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/19/2010, 10:22 PM
It's C&CDino as in Dinosaur. Did they find you frozen and thaw you out?

GKeeper316
10/19/2010, 11:41 PM
why dont you just send me the cash you'd spend on stainless steel cookwear, and ill go throw it in some stripper's panties...

cast iron. always and only.

A Sooner in Texas
10/20/2010, 12:18 AM

Probably not Sharia law, however. ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 09:32 AM
You damned heathens have lost your minds.

Stainless, GOOD stainless, is a dream to cook on. It heats thoroughly and evenly and retains its heat for easily predictable carryover. Great for sauces, gravies, and building dishes from roux where you NEED that low, steady, even heat.

Only glanced at a few posts in the thread so apologies if it's been mentioned, but for a starter set of stainless, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Emeril line. It's an actual All-Clad product with a different label and has most of the bells and whistles of the more expensive All-Clad brand. All that, and if memory serves you can get into 10 pieces for 200-300 bucks.

Know what you're getting into, though. God knows how many times I've heard people bitch about food sticking to stainless when all they need to do is learn how to use it. So until she does, there's no reason to drop hella-insane cash on something like that.

Veritas
10/20/2010, 10:04 AM
You damned heathens have lost your minds.

Stainless, GOOD stainless, is a dream to cook on. It heats thoroughly and evenly and retains its heat for easily predictable carryover. Great for sauces, gravies, and building dishes from roux where you NEED that low, steady, even heat.

Only glanced at a few posts in the thread so apologies if it's been mentioned, but for a starter set of stainless, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Emeril line. It's an actual All-Clad product with a different label and has most of the bells and whistles of the more expensive All-Clad brand. All that, and if memory serves you can get into 10 pieces for 200-300 bucks.

Know what you're getting into, though. God knows how many times I've heard people bitch about food sticking to stainless when all they need to do is learn how to use it. So until she does, there's no reason to drop hella-insane cash on something like that.
She's a very talented cook and I want to get her the Gulfstream V equivalent. So what do you personally recommend. What's the holy-****-you-didn't option?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.yourcookware.com

Great browsing for what exactly you're getting into. And I'm telling you, don't get the Gulfstream V. Get a nice commercial flight, possibly a ride in a cessna. Don't get her a bus ticket.

Get the 18/10 if you can find it, copper and aluminum base preferably wrapped around the sides, and make sure you get a decent enough sized stock pot as most 8 or 10 piece sets won't come with one. They'll come with that little pansy pot that you think is a big pot looking at the picture but realize it's not.

Me, I'm a glass lid guy. Love 'em. To each his own as you'll find a lot of the higher end stuff is metal lidded.

And DON'T write off these guys that are suggesting cast iron and teflon! They BOTH have a place in a working kitchen so why NOT get what works best in each situation? Why NOT use teflon for omelets? Why NOT fry your bacon in a cast iron skillet? Why not make your roux in stainless? Just like with any set of tools, there isn't an end-all, be-all answer. Some things simply work better than others in different situations so if you're trying to outfit her right, then outfit her right and give her what works best depending on the situation. Think about it.

A whiz-bang 10 piece set of stainless with a good saucier(a must). An assortment of teflon skillets (2-3) in different sizes (Spend the money. Cheap teflon sucks bawls.). And one or two deep cast iron skillets along with a two burner griddle unless your stove has one built in. Throw in some quality tools and bingo. You've got a winner. You've spent the money for a quality assortment of things she'll NEED instead of buying a few things for a sh*tpot of money that won't fulfill all the different uses and needs. That leads to misuse which in turn leads to destroyed pans and folks b*tching about how "stainless sucks".

sooneron
10/20/2010, 02:25 PM
What the fired dude^ said.

saucysoonergal
10/20/2010, 02:34 PM
He is used to cooking for a house full of men. I've seen Rescue Me, I know. ;)

sooneron
10/20/2010, 02:43 PM
RIP Rescue Me.

JohnnyMack
10/20/2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.yourcookware.com

Great browsing for what exactly you're getting into. And I'm telling you, don't get the Gulfstream V. Get a nice commercial flight, possibly a ride in a cessna. Don't get her a bus ticket.

Get the 18/10 if you can find it, copper and aluminum base preferably wrapped around the sides, and make sure you get a decent enough sized stock pot as most 8 or 10 piece sets won't come with one. They'll come with that little pansy pot that you think is a big pot looking at the picture but realize it's not.

Me, I'm a glass lid guy. Love 'em. To each his own as you'll find a lot of the higher end stuff is metal lidded.

And DON'T write off these guys that are suggesting cast iron and teflon! They BOTH have a place in a working kitchen so why NOT get what works best in each situation? Why NOT use teflon for omelets? Why NOT fry your bacon in a cast iron skillet? Why not make your roux in stainless? Just like with any set of tools, there isn't an end-all, be-all answer. Some things simply work better than others in different situations so if you're trying to outfit her right, then outfit her right and give her what works best depending on the situation. Think about it.

A whiz-bang 10 piece set of stainless with a good saucier(a must). An assortment of teflon skillets (2-3) in different sizes (Spend the money. Cheap teflon sucks bawls.). And one or two deep cast iron skillets along with a two burner griddle unless your stove has one built in. Throw in some quality tools and bingo. You've got a winner. You've spent the money for a quality assortment of things she'll NEED instead of buying a few things for a sh*tpot of money that won't fulfill all the different uses and needs. That leads to misuse which in turn leads to destroyed pans and folks b*tching about how "stainless sucks".

This guy must suck a bag of dicks to know all that.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 02:47 PM
But it's a small bag and it's made of leather.

I even stamped "BAD *SS MUTHAF*#%@" on the side.

C&CDean
10/20/2010, 03:15 PM
I just bought a Ruger .270. Tired of blowing holes the size of Dallas in these little white tail with the 7mm mag.

Wait, sorry, I thought I was in the man thread. My bad.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2010, 08:38 PM
Veritas, there's a set you can get from Chef's Catalog. the De Buyer Mineral series. Basically, it's solid iron but sandblasted to a finish as smooth as stainless.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx

They're heavy as **** and you have to treat them like cast-iron (clean them right away, don't let them sit in water, keep them oiled) but they are ****ing amazing skillets. They'll cook anything.