PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Believe Lies Before Playing Misery

HBick
10/19/2010, 12:43 PM
From the Kansas City Star

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1295

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops didn’t make his customary appearance on the Big 12 coaches' teleconference because he was attending the funeral of a friend, so Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson fielded the question I wanted to ask Stoops.

That being: What role does building an emotional fire under your team play in preparations for a big game like Saturday night’s contest in Columbia between Oklahoma and Missouri?

“We try every week to talk our guys about the physical prep, the mental prep and also the emotional prep,” Wilson said.

“To play at a high level you need to be very high in all three phases.

“Every player has his own way of getting there and every team has its own style of getting there. I think that’s just to the philosophy and the coach and where you’re at and the buttons you’re pushing.

“You need to be emotionally invested.”

Against Missouri on at least two occasions in the last eight seasons under Stoops, that emotional investment has been helped along by making stuff up.

In 2002 a fake story replete with things Missouri coach Gary Pinkel never said — which the OU players were convinced appeared under my byline in The Kansas City Star — was the vehicle for the Sooners to get their mad on.

In 2008, heading into the Big 12 championship game in Kansas City, it was simpler. Someone at OU — and I can’t tell you who it was — convinced the Sooner players and quarterback Sam Bradford that Missouri players had said OU’s two victories of MU in 2007 were flukes.

Come with us now to those thrilling days of recent OU-MU yore, when what was never said was said to have been said. And well, you get the idea.

In the story I didn’t write — and which wound up on a football team bulletin board at OU — Pinkel really didn’t say: “I don’t want to give them bulletin board material, but just let me say that after watching film on them vs. South Florida they seem very vulnerable right now."

Further in the story I didn’t write, Pinkel was quoted as saying, but didn’t: “They have a great defense, but I have seen teams in the MAC that I feel were just as good. We certainly feel like we know how to attack their style of play.”

Bob Stoops later said he didn’t know where the false story came from. But brother Mike Stoops was quoted by The Oklahoman as saying: “Our kids will take that personal ... We’ve never been compared to a MAC team before.”

Eric Bassey, an OU safety, told The Oklahoman: “You want to call us out? We’ll just see what happens.”

Oklahoma came into Missouri and used a fake field goal that turned into a touchdown pass in beating MU 31-24 despite a grand game from Tigers quarterback Brad Smith.

Oklahoma — which has beaten Missouri seven straight times and in 19 of the last 20 meetings — apparently needed more fantasy motivation in preparing for the 2008 Big 12 title game.

After the Sooners had drilled Mizzou 62-21 in that game, Bradford told ABC sideline reporter Lisa Salter that he was angry that Missouri players called OU’s two 2007 victories over MU “flukes.”

Never mind that no Missouri player or coach was ever quoted as having said that on radio, TV, in newspapers or even — as far as I can ascertain — in an Internet blog or Twitter message.

When it comes to building emotional fires — and Stoops and Oklahoma are not alone in this — it doesn’t matter whether anyone has insulted anybody. The important thing is to convince your players that someone did.

I may get beat to this, but I was hoping some of the sooner faithful on this board could help a drunken idiot (me) remember if this is true?

HBick
10/19/2010, 12:44 PM
Oh snap, forgot the quotations around "believe." Sorry

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 12:45 PM
Chase Daniel said the 2 victories were flukes, so he's dead wrong on that.

Lawton4Life
10/19/2010, 12:49 PM
Chase talked on tv about how we didnt stop them, they stopped themselves.

HBick
10/19/2010, 12:50 PM
I thought so, but this was homecoming weekend during my sophomore year, I just remember pomping all week then flying to Denver for a wedding and missing my only OU home game in the past 12 years.

Yeah I'm still bitter about that home game when GameDay came.

Dio
10/19/2010, 01:06 PM
Booger Daniel didn't actually use the word "fluke", so that's why this "writer" can't wrap his head around it.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 01:10 PM
Mizzou's been waiting all year for this game. Some teams are just masochists.

Howzit
10/19/2010, 01:13 PM
It is common knowledge that Pinkel has referred to this year's Sooners as a motley collection of poopy heads.

I also understand that the grass on Faurot field is currently knee-high, and the game will be played with the sprinklers on.

Hopefully this is already posted on the OU bulletin board.

Boomer Mooner
10/19/2010, 01:15 PM
Damn! The Kansas City Star is onto our secret weapon! How in the hell will we ever beat the mighty Tigers now?

We

are

screwed!

BoonesFarmSooner
10/19/2010, 01:26 PM
The entire week leading up to the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio in '07, we had to hear about how Missouri "gave away" that game in Norman. Implying that it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again.

The Missouri players didn't really seem all that concerned that their last TD in the final seconds wasn't really a touchdown, since the ball didn't cross the goal line, but whatever... The game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

And Chase was running around complaining that OU was the favorite in the game, even though Missouri was ranked #1.

ouduckhunter
10/19/2010, 01:29 PM
I heard Booger on one of the ESpin shows (I think on the radio), and he went into the old song and dance about how we didn't beat them, they beat themselves. He took a few other jabs at us too, but that was the one that stands out for it's stupidity! That was all that kid could ever do against us, pick, talk, and whine!

Lawton4Life
10/19/2010, 01:31 PM
Damn! The Kansas City Star is onto our secret weapon! How in the hell will we ever beat the mighty Tigers now?

We

are

screwed!

Its the Kansas City DEATH Star.

badger
10/19/2010, 01:33 PM
It sounds like something somebody here (or another message board of equal or lesser value) wrote up as a joke, then someone taped it up in the lockerroom for people to laugh at.

Here, let me try my hand at it!

Mizzou QB, coach talk down game as 'routine'
Missouri City Star

University of Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert was quick to dismiss this weekend's matchup against the initial BCS poll's top-ranked team, despite the two teams' histories together.

"No offense to the Sooners whatsoever, but with all due respect, we just beat Texas A&M," Gabbert said. "On the road. If you can win in College Station, you can win anywhere against anyone."

Mizzou head football coach Gary Pinkel laughed when it was suggested that this game would be similar to their past ESPN College Gameday game in 2007 when the Sooners, not the Tigers, hosted the No. 1 team.

"This time, we intend to win," Pinkel said. "We also intended to win against Illinois, and Oklahoma's nowhere near good enough to be in the Big Ten."

But isn't OU, an undefeated team ranked near the top of every poll, a little bit of a higher-quality team than the Fighting Illini?

"Perhaps," Pinkel concedes. "But unlike the Sooners, the last time we played Miami, we won. There are no excuses, even against a routine opponent, which is who we are facing Saturday. If the Big 12 does indeed fold, maybe they should join Miami in the MAC."

Collier11
10/19/2010, 01:38 PM
If writers tried to figure out all coaches motivational tactics, their heads would spin right off of their necks

ChickenStrips!
10/19/2010, 01:43 PM
I think the team is already motivated for this year's matchup. At least Travis Lewis is, I like what he says towards the end of this video.

http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcpid76074372001?bctid=638876989001

OU Engineer
10/19/2010, 01:44 PM
badger thats pretty quality

I wouldnt be surprised if the daily oklahoman starts quoting that soon...

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 01:44 PM
I think she should go post it in the comments there.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 01:49 PM
It sounds like something somebody here (or another message board of equal or lesser value) wrote up as a joke, then someone taped it up in the lockerroom for people to laugh at.

Here, let me try my hand at it!

:les: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- THOSE ARSEHOLES DON'T RESPECT US!

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 01:50 PM
... I think I might post that over at insiders. Would that work?

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 02:01 PM

It can't hurt, I'll lurk......

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 02:15 PM
:D

badger
10/19/2010, 02:15 PM
Please don't get me involved with anything involving OUI. I am going to make grand generalization and say that because one of them once insulted me, that all OUI posters who did not defect to SF.com are also ignorant misogynistic jerks who do not respect women and therefore are lonely, teen angst-filled boys who wouldn't talk to anyone else if it weren't for OUI... and to a lesser degree, facebook. Also, their faces are filled with acne because they never cut their greasy unwashed hair. And they smell like Gamestop stores. Because they never shower.

OK, please don't post that over there either :eek:

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 02:18 PM
:( I'll take it down...

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 02:20 PM

sinner...

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 02:22 PM
Always gotta be a party pooper!

stoopified
10/19/2010, 02:24 PM
The entire week leading up to the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio in '07, we had to hear about how Missouri "gave away" that game in Norman. Implying that it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again.

The Missouri players didn't really seem all that concerned that their last TD in the final seconds wasn't really a touchdown, since the ball didn't cross the goal line, but whatever... The game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

And Chase was running around complaining that OU was the favorite in the game, even though Missouri was ranked #1.Exactly.Apparently all Sooner fans had the same hallucination of seeing Booger run off athe mouth on TV.It was obviously a massive propaganda effort involving TV stations and newspaper outlets.

OUr Sooners didn't need additional motivation- then or now.Missouri is going down for the eigth time in a row.

badger
10/19/2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks dear. I love you! :)

really, the material writes itself. find a name that's recognizable related to mizzou and just start typing the first nonsense that comes to mind! It's all believable because, well, it's Mizzou!

Mizzou fans confident in 'triple digit victory' over Sooners
Misery City Asterisk

University of Missouri Tiger fans, accustomed to never winning the Big 12 title in anything, believes in turning negatives into positives.

"We are in very exclusive company," said John Doe, Mizzou alumnus. "How many Big 12 schools can count all of their Big 12 titles on one hand?

"And we use our entire hand, mind you. All five fingers."

The last time Missouri won a conference title in football was 1969, something Tiger students cherish dearly.

"Most of my high school classmates stopped chanting '69' when stopped being teens," said Smith Sam, who repeatedly confirmed that his last and his first names were not reversed. "We Tigers giggled every time we chant it, and we chant it repeatedly."

Mizzou mom Shirley Thompson said she looks forward to meeting the Sooners on Saturday for academic reasons.

"Most of the year, our Tiger faithful spell 'Mizzou' incorrectly," Thompson admitted. "But when we face OU, they will spell it out M-I-Z... O-U!"

Thompson put her hand over her mouth between the "Z" and the "O" as her cheeks turned Sooner red.

"That missing letter isn't actually a letter at all," Thompson whispered." Our Missouri fans use that word more often that I would like to admit, especially when we play Oklahoma."

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:33 PM
The guy who wrote the article for the KCStar is getting ripped, lol

Crimson Kid
10/19/2010, 02:33 PM
Chase talked so much smack you couldn't keep up with it. God i wish he was still around. I would so love to see OU smack his sorry arse around one more time. lol.

OUster
10/19/2010, 02:38 PM
Nice view, but am the only one that almost fell asleep hearing Fontenot do his play-by-play. Look lively, son! It's an OU football game your talking about, man, not your daughter's JV chess team match!

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 02:41 PM
Don't the Japanese use tiger penis as an aphrodisiac?

I heard they tried finding some in Missouri but there's none to be found.

Dan Thompson
10/19/2010, 02:53 PM
What was the point of the story? Is he saying he is a bad reporter and can't find out the details?

Why did he write about at the time? I just can seem to find any article about.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:05 PM
I don't believe much of this really matters, or coaches would do this every game.

Nebraska certainly had plenty of this "motivational" crap planted in their heads, and it did them little good.

EstablishedSooner1967
10/19/2010, 03:23 PM
Neb circled the calender for the UT game all year how did that turn out?

badger
10/19/2010, 04:04 PM
Neb circled the calender for the UT game all year how did that turn out?

The problem was that they circled it with their scissors, causing the date to fall right off the calendar. Hence the reason why their fans all showed up for the game, but the team didn't.

HBick
10/19/2010, 06:04 PM
On the College Sports Network (XM 143) a fan from Misery called in, as expected here were some of the highlights.

"They will never have played in an environment like this before"
"We fully expect to win the last REAL Big XII title"
"Gabbert is going to pick on their secondary all night"
"Everyone is all impressed by the freshmen, why does OU ever have freshman playing?"

I love Misery

Collier11
10/19/2010, 07:12 PM
They are going to do everything possible to convince themselves that they belong, until they finally beat us in a big game like this, no amount of talk will prove anything.

They either beat us or they dont, until then I dont care about what they say

agoo758
10/19/2010, 08:02 PM

It'll work..... as long as you are prepared for 100 apologies by goodolesooner :P

badger
10/20/2010, 10:29 AM
"Everyone is all impressed by the freshmen, why does OU ever have freshman playing?"

I'll take the bait - because playing the best players is the best way to win, the best way to recruit more good players, the best way to be fair to all players.