PDA

View Full Version : Your Okie ballot measures...

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 09:47 AM
After serious study and reflection, I'll make the below simple for you. Just vote NO on all of them. They're all stupid. That is all.

CICA Question 744 Education Mandates money State must provide to public schools
LRSS Question 746 Elections Potential voters must provide proof of identity
LRCA Question 747 Term limits Limiting terms of office of elected officials
LRCA Question 748 Redistricting Legislative re-apportionment done by bipartisan commission
LRCA Question 750 Initiative rights Initiative signatures based on votes for governor in recent election
LRCA Question 751 English English is "common and unifying language of Oklahoma"
LRCA Question 752 Judicial reform Modify composition of Judicial Nominating Commission
LRCA Question 754 State budgets Legislature not required to make expenditures based on pre-determined formulas
LRCA Question 755 Judicial reform Federal/state laws used to decide cases forbidding courts from considering international law.
LRCA Question 756 Health care Allow residents to opt out of any federal health care mandates.
LRCA Question 757 State budgets Increases amount of money to be put into constitutional reserve fund.

okie52
10/19/2010, 10:01 AM
I'll vote yes on the voter ID measure.

English is the common and unifying language in OK? Is this an official English only measure or just some non binding political speak?

The others do look a little suspect.

saucysoonergal
10/19/2010, 10:27 AM
Yes on 757

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 10:30 AM
LRCA Question 754 State budgets Legislature not required to make expenditures based on pre-determined formulas

What does this really mean? It sounds like a way for the legislature to get away from paying for things that no longer matter, just because they have a law saying x% of office expenditures must be dot matrix printers.

saucysoonergal
10/19/2010, 10:31 AM
What does this really mean? It sounds like a way for the legislature to get away from paying for things that no longer matter, just because they have a law saying x% of office expenditures must be dot matrix printers.

Well, if 744 passes, it just means they don't have to spend the money the way the teachers want it spent. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 10:38 AM
thats hawt saucy

virginiasooner
10/19/2010, 10:52 AM
Yes on 744 and 748. No on everything else.

tommieharris91
10/19/2010, 11:04 AM
English is the common and unifying language in OK? Is this an official English only measure or just some non binding political speak?

There are languages other than Spanish spoken here. Although I'm not sure how the law interacts with the Indian tribes...

Boarder
10/19/2010, 11:31 AM
Oh, so Homey wants us to have Sharia Law? Thanks a lot!! I ain't doing that Mooslim stuff!

Ike
10/19/2010, 11:32 AM
So for the sake of argument how would 756 work? IIRC, the mandates are enforced through the tax code. How will OK protect a citizen from a tax penalty for violating federal health mandates?

saucysoonergal
10/19/2010, 11:35 AM
So for the sake of argument how would 756 work? IIRC, the mandates are enforced through the tax code. How will OK protect a citizen from a tax penalty for violating federal health mandates?

Simple answer, Oklahoma won't. We will probably end up paying for something we can't even use.

hipsterdoofus
10/19/2010, 11:51 AM
744 makes no sense to me - requiring us to do things a certain way just because other states do it that way....you can't build a house in Colorado for the same price you can here, what makes you think you can educate students for the same price in all states? Seems irresponsible to mandate it.

mgsooner
10/19/2010, 12:05 PM
744 would be an absolute disaster. Not one single public official with half a brain has come out in support of it. There is a massive list of officials/organizations that have come out against it. Vote no. PLEASE vote no.

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 12:48 PM
Oh, so Homey wants us to have Sharia Law? Thanks a lot!! I ain't doing that Mooslim stuff!

Do you think, for one second, a court in Logan. LeFlore or Lincoln County Oklahoma, or anywhere else within OUr Great State, would apply, much less consider, Sharia law in a ruling or judgment?

That ballot measure is political pandering and demagoguery at its finest and it should fail just so the danged doofus sponsors of the bill that put it on the ballot have to eat crow.

picasso
10/19/2010, 12:48 PM
I'm voting no on the governor race also.

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 12:51 PM
There are languages other than Spanish spoken here. Although I'm not sure how the law interacts with the Indian tribes...

Okie law is generally not applicable to federally recognized tribes situated within Oklahoma, therefore, this stupid ballot measure should be a wash for them.

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 12:54 PM
I'll vote yes on the voter ID measure.

The others do look a little suspect.

IMHO, it doesn't matter if you require voters to submit to DNA testing and install retinal scanners at the polls. If the nice geriatric poll worker ladies don't care to whom they give a ballot, it don't matter. That's also why voter ID measures don't make a lick of difference in slowing voter fraud.

badger
10/19/2010, 12:57 PM
I'm voting no on the governor race also.

I'm sure the election people working your polling place will confirm this, but I think your ballot is very acceptable and countable even if you leave some of the arrows un-connected.

http://i56.tinypic.com/alpu2h.png

I like Oklahoma's ballot style. Other voters (like BCS voters) should be subjected to it also :)

MR2-Sooner86
10/19/2010, 01:01 PM
I'm going to be "that guy" and vote yes to all of them....except 744. That's a big ****ing joke.

Boarder
10/19/2010, 01:24 PM
Do you think, for one second, a court in Logan. LeFlore or Lincoln County Oklahoma, or anywhere else within OUr Great State, would apply, much less consider, Sharia law in a ruling or judgment?

That ballot measure is political pandering and demagoguery at its finest and it should fail just so the danged doofus sponsors of the bill that put it on the ballot have to eat crow.
Don't try to explain away your burka agenda.

saucysoonergal
10/19/2010, 01:31 PM
First he builds them Mosques, now he wants us to honor Sharia Law. Homey Homey Homey.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 02:00 PM
RINO, I tells ya.

Okla-homey
10/19/2010, 02:01 PM
First he builds them Mosques, now he wants us to honor Sharia Law. Homey Homey Homey.

Next year, just for you, maybe they'll put a measure on the ballot stating "During night time hours, it shall be the law of Oklahoma that it shall be dark outside.";)

The
10/19/2010, 02:02 PM
Next year, just for you, maybe they'll put a measure on the ballot stating "During night time hours, it shall be the law of Oklahoma that it shall be dark outside.";)

So, you want to illegalize the moon?:texan:

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 02:06 PM
I impose Sharia Law on my family.

Boarder
10/19/2010, 04:56 PM
If they did that there would be a clause that said, "Dark will remain undefined until legislature puts a purpose to it."

mgsooner
10/20/2010, 10:58 AM
Good synopsis of the massive number of individuals and organizations that are opposed to SQ 744:

http://newsok.com/for-and-against-744/article/3506088

OklahomaTuba
10/20/2010, 11:01 AM
SQ 744 might be the most destructive ballot measure in this state's history.

Couple this with Obama's unfunded health care mandate we might as well just raise taxes to 100%. That MIGHT cover it all.

mgsooner
10/20/2010, 11:05 AM
Whenever you see this much opposition to a measure from both sides of the aisle you know it must REALLY be misguided.

hipsterdoofus
10/20/2010, 11:17 AM
They had pro and con people for 744 on channel 9 this morning....The pro guy had no logic to his arguments - just seemed to think if we throw money at a problem it will fix it....not impressive at all.

olevetonahill
10/20/2010, 11:38 AM
I can see the Vote NO on this

No real need is there?

Why not Term Limits, Even JC Watts was for em

LRCA Question 748 Redistricting Legislative re-apportionment done by bipartisan commission

Not sure I really understand this, Is it that the State Leg, can redistrict? Based on what?

LRCA Question 750 Initiative rights Initiative signatures based on votes for governor in recent election

Is this instead of "ALL reg. Voters? again whats the deal ?

So This means LEARN english or dont read state Doc.s ?Again whats wrong with it ?

LRCA Question 752 Judicial reform Modify composition of Judicial Nominating Commission

Another one I have no clue about.

Gonna vote NO cause whatever its saying Makes No sense whatsoever

LRCA Question 755 Judicial reform Federal/state laws used to decide cases forbidding courts from considering international law.

Why vote NO, Aint it kinda like taking an aspirin a day to help prevent heart attacks?

LRCA Question 756 Health care Allow residents to opt out of any federal health care mandates.

This one is prolly a waste of time. But it will Let the Feds, know we dont like this ****.

LRCA Question 757 State budgets Increases amount of money to be put into constitutional reserve fund.

Again , Why not?

Ok some one help me out here, Would rather not here all the Political BS . Just some Factual Info
Thanks

Midtowner
10/20/2010, 01:16 PM

Will be voting YES on 744. The legislature has had all the time in the world to deal with this issue. And we've lost ground instead of making it up. Our schools have to be fixed now, today, at any cost. We can afford it by cutting back on wasteful spending and corporate welfare.

Will be voting YES on this. Frankly, there's no rational reason for being against this unless you want to be able to commit voter fraud. If you've actually read this bill and have seen how many ways there are to prove one's identity, you should know that this is a very fair bill.

Will be voting NO on 747. Term limits have been a disaster in the legislature. Instead of breaking up fiefdoms and concentrations of power, they have merely divested actual legislators of the power to do anything about those issues. Further, few legislators have the long-term interest of Oklahoma in mind anymore, few are real statesmen, few have the experience and skill to stand up to the more-experienced, more influential lobbyists.

The voters should be able to keep these employees for so long as these employees serve their interests. I believe this was put on the ballot to get rid of Drew Edmondson, who has been a fantastic and non-partisan Attorney General.

Will be voting NO on this. This has historically been the legislature's job. There's no good reason to change it. And there's no good reason as to why the Insurance Commissioner should have jack squat to do with this process.

Will be voting NO on this. Special interest groups who can't get things past the legislature are trying to run an end-run around the system. We live in a Republican system of government. The voters, by and large, are not well-informed enough or smart enough to understand some of the hidden agendas which might be behind some of these issues. This might allow special interest groups to literally purchase favorable legislation when they can't get it through the ordinary process.

Will be of no effect, but voting YES on this for sure. No xenophobia here. You live here, you learn to speak my language. The tribal language issue is a red herring. How many people ONLY speak native tongues? Maybe 5?

I'm a lawyer. I know and have worked in front of many judges who have gone through this process. I think it works fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Voting NO.

There are a lot of other things which have pre-determined formulas. This could really screw up some budgets. Definitely a dangerous bill. Voting NO.

Unconstitutional in many respects, unnecessary in all foreseeable others. Sharia law CANNOT be implemented under the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Also, with regard to international law, sometimes our courts do have to deal with international contract disputes and things of that nature where calls have to be made using international law. This is an incredibly dumb bill. Voting NO.

Totally unconstitutional. To save the state the legal fees they'll pay to the other side when they win this case, voting NO. Admittedly though, ObamaCare is horrible.

Should have been done a long time ago instead of cutting taxes. Voting YES for fiscal responsibility.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 01:25 PM
My crack at it. See if this clears the muddy water a bit for ya, Vet.

If I understand it correctly, this is to prevent legislative majorities from "gerrymandering". Instead of it hammering out in the Legislature, it goes to a "bipartisan committee", essentially turning it into an extra, unnecessary level of management and a relinquishment of legislative power.

The way I understand it now, the law states that the petition signatures are tied to "the last general election", not specifically to the gubernatorial election, which are then dictated by which office received the most votes in that general election, which is then further whittled down by percentages of that vote depending on what the petition is for. For 2010, it'd more than likely be the gubernatorial general. In 2012 however any initiative petitions would be based on the voting count of the presidential election, it being the last general election held who would more than likely receive the most votes per office. With this, ALL initiative petition signature requirements would be based on a percentage of the previous gubernatorial election.

Boarder
10/20/2010, 01:28 PM
YES NO SQ 744: Amount of money the State provides to support common schools.

Unfunded mandate, doesn't address the problem (IMO) of poor school administration, locks OK into a certain amount.

YES NO SQ 746: Voter Identification, Proof of Identity.

No problem with this one. If you read it, you either have to present an id, a voter registration card, or sign an affidavit that you are who you say you are. I thought you had to do this anyway. Pretty sure that there won't be any implanting of id chips or marks of the beast required.

YES NO SQ 747: Limiting terms of office of certain elected officials.

I personally don't believe in arbitrary term limits. If someone is doing a good job, let them stay. I can see the point of those who do, but I feel it should be up to the constituents in each district.

YES NO SQ 748: Apportionment Commission changing to Bipartisan Commission on Legislative Apportionment.

No problem with this one.

YES NO SQ 750: Initiative and Referendum Designation of signature percentage base.

Extreme cognitive dissonance on this one. On the one hand, it looks reasonable. For instance, in the 1996 presidential elections, there were around 1.2M votes. In the 1998 governor race, there were 800K votes. That's a pretty big difference. This actually seems very reasonable. On the other hand, it was written by Randy Brogdon, who is insane. So, there must be something they are up to. I'll vote yes anyway.

YES NO SQ 751: Providing that the English language is the common and unifying language of Oklahoma.

Says the language of "official actions" must be English or Native American language. Then, it says there is no definition of "official action". Poorly written, unneeded, and seems to be another paranoia move against Mexicans.

YES NO SQ 752: Modifying the composition of the Judicial Nominating Commission.

Works fine as it is.

YES NO SQ 754: Providing the Legislature shall not be required to make expenditures for any function of government using a predetermined formula of any kind or by reference to the expenditure levels of any other state government or any other entity.

Gets rid of 744, if passed. Kind of stupid. And, I'm not thrilled with this line: Thus, under the measure, once adopted, the measure could not be effectively amended. Nor could it be repealed.

YES NO SQ 755: Courts to rely on federal and state laws when deciding cases forbidding courts from looking at international law or Sharia Law.

Ridiculous. A fine example of why Oklahoma is ridiculed across the nation.

YES NO SQ 756: Defines Health Care System

Defines health care system, yes. Then explains that this law will have no effect if supplanted by federal law. So, basically, this does nothing at all, except showboat. Ugh.

YES NO SQ 757: Constitutional Reserve Fund

upon further review, this is a good idea. It says that we can put up to 15% in the rainy day fund, doesn't mean it is required.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 01:38 PM
SQ 750: Initiative and Referendum Designation of signature percentage base.

So, there must be something they are up to.

They're reducing the number of signatures needed for initiative petitions. As you mentioned, there's a disparity in voter turnout between the presidential and gubernatorial elections. And given that the current law bases the signature requirements on the previous general election, in the two years between presidential and guberantorial general elections, the required number of signatures for an initiative petition is by proxy increased, giving a reduced chance of actually generating enough hubbub for folks to sign it and get it on a ballot in that two year span.

Makes it easier to take advantage of popular groundswells to put mindless crap like 751, 755, and 756 on the ballot.

Boarder
10/20/2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, but it's actually fair to make it the same for each election, not harder every two years. The percentages stay the same as they are now. The only thing that changes is the base number.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 01:53 PM
Right. But to answer your question as to what they're up to, that's my personal take.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2010, 02:05 PM
IMHO, it doesn't matter if you require voters to submit to DNA testing and install retinal scanners at the polls. If the nice geriatric poll worker ladies don't care to whom they give a ballot, it don't matter. That's also why voter ID measures don't make a lick of difference in slowing voter fraud.

So go ahead and implement it anyway. After all, if you haven't done your best to stamp out voter fraud, then you really can't complain about it.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2010, 02:06 PM

Will be voting YES on this. Frankly, there's no rational reason for being against this unless you want to be able to commit voter fraud. If you've actually read this bill and have seen how many ways there are to prove one's identity, you should know that this is a very fair bill.

Those that vote "no" don't want to commit voter fraud. They simply want others to commit voter fraud.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 02:07 PM
Voter fraud rocks.

By God, if it's good enough for the Kennedys, it's good enough for me!

Boarder
10/20/2010, 02:58 PM
Right. But to answer your question as to what they're up to, that's my personal take.
That's probably true.

Okla-homey
10/20/2010, 03:23 PM
So go ahead and implement it anyway. After all, if you haven't done your best to stamp out voter fraud, then you really can't complain about it.

You wanna stamp out voter fraud? Here's what you do. Liquor stores are closed on Election day right? Contract with liquor store cashiers to check I.D.'s at the polls. They're already used to it. Make it very clear to them, they must match the photo ID to the voter's name on the sheet or no ballot. And we'll be checking on them all day by randomly sending in fakers with phoney I'D's. Tell 'em that if we don't catch 'em screwing up, we'll pay them an extra 100 bucks.

That takes the 87 year-old retired school teacher who hands out the ballots out of the equation.

Anything less is just feel-good BS.

The
10/20/2010, 03:54 PM
You wanna stamp out voter fraud? Here's what you do. Liquor stores are closed on Election day right? Contract with liquor store cashiers to check I.D.'s at the polls. They're already used to it. Make it very clear to them, they must match the photo ID to the voter's name on the sheet or no ballot. And we'll be checking on them all day by randomly sending in fakers with phoney I'D's. Tell 'em that if we don't catch 'em screwing up, we'll pay them an extra 100 bucks.

That takes the 87 year-old retired school teacher who hands out the ballots out of the equation.

Anything less is just feel-good BS.

YOU WANT TO RAISE TAXES TO PAY FOR PEOPLE WHO AREN'T WORKING????

Okla-homey
10/20/2010, 04:19 PM
YOU WANT TO RAISE TAXES TO PAY FOR PEOPLE WHO AREN'T WORKING????

Who said anything about raising taxes? I bet the RNC would happily pay my liquor store cashiers to check ID's at the polls.;)

olevetonahill
10/20/2010, 05:24 PM
Who said anything about raising taxes? I bet the RNC would happily pay my liquor store cashiers to check ID's at the polls.;)

That wouldnt werk to well down here Homester.
I think theres maybe 3 LS in all of LeFlore County

okie52
10/20/2010, 06:10 PM

That would be true of any law that is not enforced but right now those little old ladies can't even ask for ID nor do they have any legal right to do so.

I'll vote to empower these little old ladies and to hopefully deter most frauds from making a trip to the polls.

reflector
10/20/2010, 06:14 PM
I will probably vote no on all of them.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 07:44 PM

They can't stay in business with all the homebrew you mountain men are making.

olevetonahill
10/20/2010, 08:00 PM
They can't stay in business with all the homebrew you mountain men are making.

:eek: :D

Okla-homey
10/20/2010, 08:12 PM

But there are only 17 people in LeFlore County who aren't ex-felons and are therefore eligible to vote. So with three liquor stores with cashiers, you folks have more than enough.;)

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2010, 01:05 AM

You'd vote that down too.

You really want to stop speeding? Put governors on carburetors so that the car can't go faster than 65 mph. Then put a cop in every car so that they can watch the speedometer every second. Everything else is bs and not worth implementing.

Same logic.

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2010, 01:08 AM
That would be true of any law that is not enforced but right now those little old ladies can't even ask for ID nor do they have any legal right to do so.

I'll vote to empower these little old ladies and to hopefully deter most frauds from making a trip to the polls.

That is a reasonable, rational argument. I don't even see a good counterargument.

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2010, 02:02 AM
YES to everything below:

King Barry's Back
10/21/2010, 04:07 AM

Basically treats Tribal languages the same way as English, at least as I read the measure.

I voted YES on all but two of the measures. Several were clearly nothing but political statements with little real relevance, but that doesn't mean I don't support them.

Definitely vote yes on banning sharia law from Oklahoma. None of us wants to live under sharia law.

(NOTE: I vote absentee from Germany.)

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2010, 04:18 AM
Basically treats Tribal languages the same way as English, at least as I read the measure.

I voted YES on all but two of the measures. Several were clearly nothing but political statements with little real relevance, but that doesn't mean I don't support them.

Definitely vote yes on banning sharia law from Oklahoma. None of us wants to live under sharia law.

(NOTE: I vote absentee from Germany.)

Do you ever talk politics with the Germans? For ****s and giggles, I like to read Der Spiegel, Pravda, and La Monde from time to time. I also lurk on some foreign message boards.

What always astounds me is how little Europeans really understand our political system. They often accuse Americans of being dumb and knowing next to nothing about European politics (which is true), but it's the pot calling the kettle black.

The thing is, none of them ever demonstrate an understanding that our Federal government is of limited power with everything else reserved to the states. In some cases I've read where Europeans don't understand why the American government doesn't "fix" or deal with what is completely a local issue here.