PDA

View Full Version : Would Anyone Agree

oudavid1
10/19/2010, 04:37 AM
That ESPNs bias come from the fact that they know that when Oklahoma is talked about as number one it makes people not wanna watch in Florida, Texas, or California?

All they want is more money, i mean who dosnt.

Im just curious to know what influence it has on their predictions.

I do agree with some that we havnt played like a #1 all year, but who has?

I do feel like we have earned it.

And i do feel we will beat Mizzou.

I also feel Vet sneaking up behind you right now as you read this.

Pride Baritone
10/19/2010, 05:20 AM
If this were true Boise State would be getting absolutely no love for the #1 spot, which we all know is not the case.

Some people at ESPN are biased against OU, but for the most part we get more than our fair share of love. It's not the 24/7 lovefest that you see with SEC, or east/west coast schools, but it's not like we are getting pissed on either.

King Barry's Back
10/19/2010, 05:27 AM
That ESPNs bias come from the fact that they know that when Oklahoma is talked about as number one it makes people not wanna watch in Florida, Texas, or California?

That's plausible, but really, who cares how ESPN predicts games? They can't alter the outcome, so why cry about their useless guesses?

And, to answer the second poster, Boise doesn't represent a big TV market, but they do now possess a national level cult following. People are interested to see if black-sheep outsider BSU can break into the highest level of college football and join the big boys. That's why ESPN is on board with this.

When/if BSU's breakthrough ever happens, they'll become just another small market school and will lose their national cred. And they'll drop from site as a favored sister.

Jacie
10/19/2010, 06:38 AM
I think the performance of the teams in those states is doing more to discourage watching football than anything OU does . . .

sendbaht
10/19/2010, 06:49 AM
"Some people at ESPN are biased against OU"

Maybe some but when I go to other boards one reads the same thing.

ESPN are biased against USC

ESPN are biased against UO

ESPN are biased against Cal and so one

ESPN has written some wonderful articles on OU

I could be wrong I've be wrong many times before.

jadubya
10/19/2010, 07:42 AM
I don't think ESPN has an anti - OU bias.....However, based on our last few BCS peformances/results.....it makes it tough for any media outside of the Sooner state to get out front for OUr teams.

Nobody likes to have the "told ya so" come back around and bite them in the butt. This holds especially true for the dudes on the airwaves.

PLaw
10/19/2010, 07:47 AM

Vet was a sniper??

fadada1
10/19/2010, 08:03 AM
had we won the other 3 BCS championship games we've played in over the past 7 years, ESPN would be slobbering over us like tiger on a perkin's waitress. HOWEVER, if we were to be in a situation like usc (and bush), they'd be the first to push us down the stairs as we were already falling.

oudavid1
10/19/2010, 09:22 AM
My whole thinking is, if you can talk about texas, do it. And believe me, i dont care either way, i think the local media in Oklahoma is amazing and i really dont need espn. But i just wouldnt be surprised if the producers of the shows would rather talk about big market teams so they dont lose those viewers.

As far as boise, everyone loves an underdog.

And Boise is just as undefeated as Oklahoma is, why should they get anymore love than OU, we all agree that their schedule is not harder right?

People wanna give Boise love for the things they have done.

One last think, how is the SEC a great conference if for the previous 2 years one team won 19 straight conference games?

Dio
10/19/2010, 09:25 AM
had we won the other 3 BCS championship games we've played in over the past 7 years, ESPN would be slobbering over us like tiger on a perkin's waitress. HOWEVER, if we were to be in a situation like usc (and bush), they'd be the first to push us down the stairs as we were already falling.

See: 1989

Mad Dog Madsen
10/19/2010, 09:26 AM
how is the SEC a great conference if for the previous 2 years one team won 19 straight conference games?

I believe it's because the SEC has won the last 4 National Championships. Hard to argue with that. Especially when it's 3 different teams...

njsoonerfanatic
10/19/2010, 09:33 AM
my awful state of new jersey here has far too much love for teams such as saxet and usc and florida, i hate it you walk into any sporting goods store or any store that sells sports team shirts and all you see is dumb orange, usc and fla shirts more then you even see rutgers or notre dame stuff the country just loves some teams more then others i suppose

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 09:40 AM
I disagree there is ESPN bias against us. Look at any teams message board and you see the same thing. Fans are uber sensitive if there is any criticism of their team even if the points are completely supported by data. I do think ESPN and other media outlets jump on and off bandwagons of the hottest team for ratings purposes and we've been that team our fair share. Bottom line is if your team gets mentioned a lot that implies it is relevant regardless of if you like what they are saying.

Sooner_Tuf
10/19/2010, 09:44 AM
Vet was a sniper??

Not was, "is".

Spritekid
10/19/2010, 09:45 AM
We would have to play BSU for the title and beat them like a step child for ESPN to give us any credit at all. I hope that we play Boise for all the marbles and kick the living crap out of them. Maybe we will stop hearing how great they are! If you are that great then join a real conference!

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 02:45 PM

IMO, none.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:50 PM
Would you believe that ESPN is accused of anti-X bias every time they fail to act like every other self-respecting hysterical fan of X ?

This constant refrain of "ESPN hates OU" is tiresome.

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:54 PM
i think the local media in Oklahoma is amazing and i really dont need espn.

You lost me here Davey Boy...for the most part the Oklahoma media is a joke. I really like Jake Trotter and I like the Tulsa World but the DOK is horrible most all the time. Our TV guys are meh, Channel 5 is ok, Dean Blevins is absolutely horrible, Channel 4 is ok.

I watch ESPN not for unbiased views or great insight but for info and highlights. ESPN is the easiest way to get all the highlights and all the info for the most teams in the country. I dont have to listen to their opinions or agree with them, I just watch.

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:55 PM
Would you believe that ESPN is accused of anti-X bias every time they fail to act like every other self-respecting hysterical fan of X ?

This constant refrain of "ESPN hates OU" is tiresome.

On top of that I would say that the constant whining about national media guys in general is tiring. Any time a national guy makes a statement that doesnt agree with OU, everyone around here hates them. Give me a break, is it really that big of a deal?

Intown
10/19/2010, 03:13 PM
ESPN promotes the schools in the biggest markets and underdog teams that are flashing in pan before they fall out of fashion. OU isn't that marketable right now -- without a Heisman frontrunner or complete blowouts against everybody.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 03:16 PM
On top of that I would say that the constant whining about national media guys in general is tiring. Any time a national guy makes a statement that doesnt agree with OU, everyone around here hates them. Give me a break, is it really that big of a deal?

Exactly. It is NOT tat big of a deal. People get paid to voice their opinions --too many people, in fact. But it's just talk.

If OU wins on Saturday I will be happy, regardless of whether anyone on ESPN is impressed.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:25 PM
The same goes for the announcers. When OU is winning, no complaints. When OU is losing, the announcers are obviously biased and hate OU and suck and need to be fired.

Joe
10/19/2010, 04:06 PM
think the local media in Oklahoma is amazing

?

soonerchk
10/19/2010, 04:39 PM
"Some people at ESPN are biased against OU"

Maybe some but when I go to other boards one reads the same thing.

ESPN are biased against USC

ESPN are biased against UO

ESPN are biased against Cal and so one

ESPN has written some wonderful articles on OU

I could be wrong I've be wrong many times before.

But they really do hate us.:pop:

There's a whole bunch of guys getting paid to have an opinion, so sometimes they create controversy to have something to do. The only two who interest me anyway are Kirk and Chris, because they seem to actually watch games before spouting off. If they are ignoring us, it means we suck, so yay drama!

ouwasp
10/19/2010, 04:51 PM
I guess the deal is with the recent BCS shows... if there were just someone assigned "token OU duty", it (the Sooner disparaging) would go down a little easier...

Instead, they pump Oregon, Boys St.,the SEC and downplay the computers, or lament the fact they don't consider margin of victory.

But they DON"T mention how strength of schedule was taken out of the BCS formula a few yrs back. Or how they castigated OU in 2008 when the Sooners piled up "style points"; instead I heard someone (on the radio) lament how Boise pulled off San Jose at 48-0, when they should have hammered them 80-0.

Maybe moron reporter who criticizes things he doesn't know about might come to our defense? Not holding my breath.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 05:28 PM
There is no anti-OU bias. There is an anti-agreement bias. That is, it is boring to agree with the polls and much more interesting to pick them apart.

As for the sports reporting in the Daily Oklahoman, when I go there after a game I find column after column about the Sooners. Now go to the LA Times and try to pick up on the latest happenings at USC or UCLA.

Collier11
10/19/2010, 07:10 PM
OU wasnt supposed to be this good this year, not competing for a Natl title good. Having said that, we are not even half way through the season. OU will have the chance, starting this weekend to advance their own cause or prove the doubters correct. Until then it is easier for the natl types to claim that we are overhyped and that is fine with me

lasooner123
10/19/2010, 07:13 PM
more tvs=More covg and loveaffairs

stoopified
10/19/2010, 07:50 PM
ESPN LOVES OU. It doesn't matter if they are praising OU or bashing us,either way we are talked about because we matter.There are many teams out there that would like to getthe amount of air time we get. oSu would be a prime example.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 07:52 PM
Let's not forget our past bowl records, especially in the national title games. I think the media is skeptical of OU because they think that ultimately we'll stub our toe at some point. Why get worked up over a team that has let us down so many times?

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 07:53 PM
There is no anti-OU bias. There is an anti-agreement bias. That is, it is boring to agree with the polls and much more interesting to pick them apart....
Hear him! He KNOWS all about being disagreeable. :D

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 07:58 PM

It's not every time... Rather it's every time certain known people that hate on ou that get my blood boiling. For instance, skip bayless and mark schlabach (sp?). These two constantly bag on Oklahoma any chance they get and that is tiresome!

Collier11
10/19/2010, 08:53 PM
OK well its your own fault for getting worked up over Bayless, it is quite obvious that he is just on air to be a dipwad and say retarded things as most of the stuff he says isnt even logical. He gets paid to stir the pot and be annoying and he does it well. I used to get irritated by him but I just ignore him.

As far as Schlabach goes, he doesnt seem like an OU hater as much as a skeptic and that doesnt bother me

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 08:57 PM
I think they all secretly wear Sooner underoos.

THE-JROD
10/19/2010, 08:58 PM
I could care less what any of them dou*hers think anymore!!! If OU wins out, we can say we told ya so....if not...then they were obviously right...

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2010, 08:59 PM
OK well its your own fault for getting worked up over Bayless, it is quite obvious that he is just on air to be a dipwad and say retarded things as most of the stuff he says isnt even logical. He gets paid to stir the pot and be annoying and he does it well. I used to get irritated by him but I just ignore him.

As far as Schlabach goes, he doesnt seem like an OU hater as much as a skeptic and that doesnt bother me

Maybe schlambach isn't an ou hater, but I have never read anything by him that has even been any praise for ou. he seems to really hate on any team that end up putting a wrench in his opinions.

hawaii 5-0
10/19/2010, 10:55 PM
Not that anyone's paying attention but Hawaii went into Fresno and whooped their *** and then beat ranked and unbeaten Nevada last week. Possibly they knock off Boise as well and put the Boise Lovefest to rest.

....just sayin'.

5-0

Cornfed
10/19/2010, 10:58 PM
I would still like to beat them in a bowl game.

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 10:03 AM
Not that anyone's paying attention but Hawaii went into Fresno and whooped their *** and then beat ranked and unbeaten Nevada last week. Possibly they knock off Boise as well and put the Boise Lovefest to rest.

....just sayin'.

5-0

Playing at Hawaii or the blue turf? I'd definitely take Hawaii at home.

batonrougesooner
10/20/2010, 10:13 AM
Isn't Gameday going to be at OU's game this weekend...?

Mad Dog Madsen
10/20/2010, 10:18 AM
Isn't Gameday going to be at OU's game this weekend...?

Yes it is! ...And I'll bet anything Lee Corso puts on a stupid tiger head! :D

soonerchk
10/20/2010, 10:21 AM
Yes it is! ...And I'll bet anything Lee Corso puts on a stupid tiger head! :D

I hope he does! I get afraid when he picks us.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2010, 10:27 AM
I could care less what any of them dou*hers think anymore!!! If OU wins out, we can say we told ya so....if not...then they were obviously right...

this