PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Nebraska/Texas and why it matters...

westcoast_sooner
10/18/2010, 11:59 PM
My son and I do an annual Father/Son weekend and chose to hit Lincoln this year for what looks to be the final UT/NU game. As most know, Texas has owned Nebraska over the brief history of the Big XII, and the Huskers have had this game circled on their calendars since the CCG last season.

I'll start by saying that the legendary "nice-ness" factor of the Husker fans is no joke. They welcomed us with open arms, we made friends, and overall had an awesome experience there in Lincoln. As an aside, when I went to the OU/UW game a couple of years ago, several fans told me that the only fans that were better than OU's were the Nebraska fans.

As for the game itself, a lot of Husker fans felt that they gave the game away rather than the Longhorns winning. I heard comments ranging from "the game was fixed" to "we didn't show up".

Texas played their most impressive game of the season - beating a top 10 ranked opponent away from Austin. They had Gilbert run the ball - a risky move, since they have no experienced QB depth. They didn't ask Gilbert to throw too much, and he was inaccurate at best. The Texas receivers were nearly as inept as the Nebraska receivers.

And Texas defense had a great plan to stop Martinez - and Pelini responded in the 2nd half with putting weak armed Zac Lee back in the game.

Overall, I do think that Nebraska is the best in the North and will likely win out. But make no mistake if OU doesn't take care of business, Texas could be right there to scoop up the South and play spoiler.

It was a great time, with great people, new friends and seriously a much better place than I ever gave Lincoln credit for being. Great experience. And a real shame that UNL is leaving the Big XII.

Soonerus
10/19/2010, 12:15 AM
Mizzou wins North and OU throttles them for the second time in the Big XII game...

King Barry's Back
10/19/2010, 05:40 AM
Mizzou wins North and OU throttles them for the second time in the Big XII game...

That's what it looks like to me, too.

Jacie
10/19/2010, 06:18 AM
Inspite of what has happened, some whorn fans are trying to figure out how they make it to the championship game. Conventional wisdom is that OU must lose twice, long odds if you are counting on it but then so is winning out.

It has been suggested in orange-colored glasses land that sa*et could advance to the big game the same way Oklahoma did in the three-way tie scenario. In that case, UTerus fans have lOSUr beating the Sooners, then they beat them and get the nod based on more love from the computers or something.

Feel good about being a Sooner. All OUr team has to do is take care of business.

Sooner in Tampa
10/19/2010, 06:26 AM

I don't really want that to happen...I want a shot at the bugeaters, the ability to shove them out the door in style.

Mizzou could be on the verge of a two game losing streak...they have us Sat and then they travel to Lincoln. They are going to lose 1 if not both of these!!

soonerbub
10/19/2010, 06:36 AM
The 3 way tie won't apply this year because of their non con loss. In 08 our overall records were all 11-1--that is a tiebreak before it gets to BCS

Veritas
10/19/2010, 11:35 AM
Great experience. And a real shame that UNL is leaving the Big XII.
Glad you had a good experience. My wife and I say the same thing about our times at OU games.

Agreed on us leaving the Big XII. I under$tand the rea$on for it, but for football it's a big mistake. I fear that our days of relevance will continue to fade into the past.

westcoast_sooner
10/20/2010, 12:21 AM
A shame that the rivalry will be over one way or another after this season is over. I certainly won't miss CU, but the annual Thanksgiving weekend game against NU from before the Big XII is missed.

The camaraderie between the two fan bases was really respectful - something that really can't be said about Texas.

Good luck to Nebraska in the Big 10.

THE-JROD
10/20/2010, 12:27 AM
Screw Nebraska and Colorado!!! I know they have their reasons for leaving....but im pissed that we wont have a big 12 championship again after this year....

Okie35
10/20/2010, 02:24 AM
I don't really want that to happen...I want a shot at the bugeaters, the ability to shove them out the door in style.

Mizzou could be on the verge of a two game losing streak...they have us Sat and then they travel to Lincoln. They are going to lose 1 if not both of these!!

I want a shot at em too but I've been saying since the beginning of the season they will slip up and lose the North.