PDA

View Full Version : Steelers James Harrison

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2010, 10:50 PM
Says he likes to hurt people..obviously its turning into a big deal, because his comments are going up everywhere...

[PITTSBURGH (AP) — Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He's out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf — as he did Sunday when he sidelined Browns wide receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits only minutes apart — he knows he's done his job.

"I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said following Pittsburgh's 28-10 victory. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Harrison's reputation as being one of the NFL's nastiest players was enhanced when his leading-with-the-helmet hits on Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi left the Browns with just two healthy wide receivers for more than a half. Neither hit was penalized, although the NFL said Monday it is reviewing the hit on Massaquoi. The league determined Cribbs' tackle was legal.

Harrison's style of play is raising questions about whether it's possible to stay within the rules, yet also play dirty. While the Browns weren't especially critical of the hits following the game, tight end Benjamin Watson was more outspoken Monday.

"I hope the NFL does the max, whatever the max is, I hope they give it to him," Watson said.

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press that the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits. The NFL is emphasizing a reduction in football concussions, which can lead to dementia and brain disease.

The crown of Harrison's helmet slammed into the left side of Cribbs' helmet as the wide receiver was running a wildcat formation play, causing Cribbs to crumple face-first into the turf. He appeared to be momentarily knocked out. Because Cribbs was a runner, such helmet-to-helmet contact is permissible.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. NFL rules now require a defender to give a receiver time to defend himself before he absorbs such a hit.

Harrison argued it would be a "travesty" if he was fined, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also said it was a legal hit. However, the outside linebacker has drawn fines in the past for his aggressive style of play.

He drew a $5,000 penalty for slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young to the turf Sept. 19, a play that also wasn't penalized. Harrison also was fined $5,000 last season for unnecessary roughness following a late hit on Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth. In 2008, he drew a $20,000 fine for criticizing a roughing-the-passer penalty against him.

The Steelers haven't publicly discouraged Harrison from playing with an edge, believing it enhances their image as one of the NFL's toughest, physical and most intimidating defenses. Following Sunday's game, safety Ryan Clark called Harrison "an animal" and wide receiver Hines Ward termed him "a beast" — and both were being complimentary.

"You see a guy like that, knocking guys out like that ... he's a man on a mission," Ward said. "He sets the tempo for everybody."

Harrison said he doesn't want to put any player out of a game or jeopardize his career. Still, the former AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year realizes it can be difficult to draw a line between merely hurting a player and badly injuring him as hits are being delivered so quickly, there's no time to consider the consequences.

Tomlin appeared to suggest that younger players looking for a role model to copy for physical play might find him in Harrison, who was chosen as an AFC Pro Bowl starter the last three seasons.

"James is always ready to deliver for his teammates," Tomlin said. "That's why they have so much respect for him. He's a good football player, man. He always delivers timely performances when you need them. Talking to a lot of young players, they want to know the recipe for being a dominant, great player. It's not only delivering plays, but delivering plays at a timely manner — significant plays. And he does that for the most part."

Blue
10/18/2010, 10:55 PM
Why even have a defense in the NFl? It's all about fantasy anyway.

GottaHavePride
10/18/2010, 10:55 PM
He sounds like a thug.

Collier11
10/18/2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds to me like the author took the quote and ran with it...I dont see anything wrong with his statement, a hit isnt supposed to feel good

StoopTroup
I can't wait to see him on Dancing with the Stars.

JLEW1818
let Big Ben talk to him, he's a changed man....

OUthunder
10/18/2010, 10:59 PM
Stupid comment. Why do you want to hurt and possibly take someone's livelihood away?

Blue
10/18/2010, 11:27 PM
The new rule about hitting is BS. Now we'll see a rash of exploding kneecaps bc players are hitting low.

The players should continue wearing pink the rest of the year.

soonerboomer93
10/18/2010, 11:41 PM
some people reading comprehension sucks

"I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said following Pittsburgh's 28-10 victory. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

He doesn't want to Theisman them, he wants to make sure they remember that hit they took from him though. That they hesistate slightly next time they go across the middle.

Breadburner
10/19/2010, 12:55 AM
Hurt and injure are two diffrent things.....

sooner59
10/19/2010, 01:03 AM
Kill 'em all!!!!

-Ray Lewis

Just sayin.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 08:57 AM
It just amazes me how big of a deal this comment is in today's NFL...

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 09:01 AM
you guys are friggin killing me.....this is football....read some quotes by jack tatum and dick butkus

meoveryouxinfinity
10/19/2010, 09:03 AM
If you're not the one doing the hurt, you're the one getting hurt...

Jello Biafra
10/19/2010, 09:15 AM
“I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.”

"I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something"

Mad Dog Madsen
10/19/2010, 09:20 AM
I have no problem with him trying to "hurt" people. As long as they're not injured I think it's ok. Why do you think we love Ronnell Lewis? It's not because his hits are soft. The "helmet to helmet" is another thing, it's just stupid. Players should be fined or suspended for that crap. Did anybody see the "helmet to helmet" Sammy B took Sunday? His helmet flew off and the refs didn't even throw a flag... It was pretty obvious though.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 11:01 AM
Haven't you heard?!
Bad guys (including nasty girls) are GOOD, and they have been since about 1968 or so. So embrace the cultural devolution already, ya sleepy heads!

PS- James Harrison needs to have his kneecaps shot out.

Landthief 1972
10/19/2010, 11:21 AM
I hope he's not pre-med:

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

Really? Yeah, knocking someone out cold surely does no damage to the brain. He's not really hurt, he just took enough trauma to his brain to go unconscious, right? Rub some dirt on it! Sigh...

cyclonesooner
10/19/2010, 11:29 AM
There is absolutely no need for a player to ever lead with the crown of the helmet. You could tell in the replays of the hit on Cribbs that he was doing so on purpose.

Tin Cup
10/19/2010, 11:36 AM
This is football, correct? Not futbol!

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2010, 11:48 AM
This kinda crap is why I'm not a pro football player!

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 12:01 PM
Harrison's comments are good because he is being honest about the motivations of the system. The other Harrison (analyst Rodney), said the same things about his playing days and he had a similar reputation. R. Harrison said the only thing that would have changed his behavior is suspensions. That fat DT on the Ravens superbowl team (forgot his name) said the same thing. He was fined $10k for slamming Rich Gannon to the ground and taking him out of the Ravens playoff game against the Raiders. He said $10k is not going to discourage me from taking out their QB and helping them get to the super bowl. But if a suspension meant he could play in the SB...

Blue
10/19/2010, 12:42 PM
Nobodys forcing these guys to play football. They get paid well and know the risks. Suspending them is dumb.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 12:46 PM
I have no problem with his comments, none at all. The reporter is someone that doesn't understand the difference between being hurt and injured.

My Opinion Matters
10/19/2010, 12:48 PM
This is exactly the type of mentality you want your linebackers to have. Stop acting like a dumpster full of pussies.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 12:51 PM
Besides, what does the NFL sell? Hard hits...hits that hurt. Like someone said, what was the initial appeal of Ronnell Lewis to fans? his hard hits that clearly hurt. What rendered Manny Johnson ineffective in the game against Florida? That hit from Major Wright or whatever his name was that clearly hurt Johnson. Johnson wasn't injured, but that hit got in his head. That's what Harrison wants to do.

Christ, I'm not sure you people could have handled comments by Jack Lambert.

tcrb
10/19/2010, 01:10 PM
Hey! I've got a great idea. Let's just take away the helmets and pads and then no one would hit really hard and if they did, they would get hurt just as much as the guy they're tackling. And then we could give everybody two pieces of colored cloth to stuff in their back pockets. If one of your flags gets yanked outta your pocket, it would be the same as being tackled. What'd y'all think? We could still call it football.

royalfan5
10/19/2010, 01:21 PM
JTFC people, it's a ****ing collision sport. The objective is to win the collisions. You do that by inflicting pain. I would hope my linebackers wanted to hurt people.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:09 PM
The new rule about hitting is BS. Now we'll see a rash of exploding kneecaps bc players are hitting low.

The players should continue wearing pink the rest of the year.

Everyone who suggests even vaguely that modern players are wusses because they'd rather not have brain damage deserves to have James Harrison forcefully jam his helmet up in their grill. And I would definitely pay to see it !!

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:11 PM
Nobodys forcing these guys to play football. They get paid well and know the risks. Suspending them is dumb.

This is some more really stupid $hit right here. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:13 PM
Thats funny, there have been current players and coaches say the same thing. Football is a violent sport, no one forces anyone to play. They get paid alot of money to play the sport.

Of course that doesnt allow for people who are getting injured, but hard hitting is part of it.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 02:21 PM

This is true, but that's not the issue. The league is worried about it's image/franchise and will do whatever to protect it.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:35 PM
TWO things need mentioning in this dicussion.

First, the nature of the modern passing game.
Many real experts have duly noted over the years that the NFL is in love with the drop-back passing game almost to the excusion of all else. Example: Drop-back QB's start getting sacked and hurt -- sorry , I mean "injured" :rolleyes:. So, should the playcalling change and QBs become more mobile, like Mike Vick? NO! The NFL would rather change the rules so that the QB is becoming more and more like the pitcher in baseball.

Second, the equipment. Back in the day, demolishing someone with a hit meant putting a shoulder into the chest and knocking the guys breath into another time zone. Then as helmets and facemasks got "bigger and better", the hard-shelled head and the uber-protected face became weapons. People started losing their careers and their ability to walk and move their arms as a result. Plowing head-first into receivers running across became the objective. As Ditka said the other day, take away the face masks and see if these pretty boys will fly head first into each other.

Those old-timers could lay somebody out with a shoulder without the same risk of paralysis or brain damage that happens nowadays. (They were almost as tough and manly as internet posters!) The only thing "tougher" than the old days is the equipment, not the players.

Finally, you hypocritical couch jockeys who think brain-jarring head shots are a necessary part of the game and an accepted risk for all players, need to STFU and drink your beer. (I guess NASCAR drivers should get rid of their fire-suits, helmets, and belts, huh? Because crashing is a risk of the job, right?) Your ignorant pseudo-macho posturing is pathetic. Get real.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 03:32 PM
*sigh* Kev. I have no problem with them taking away lead with the helmet hits and helmet to helmet hits. The game itself is one of violent collisions. The James Harrison hit that started the uproar in his case was his shoulder and forearm that made contact with the Cleveland player, not his head.

While we're at it, if we're going to go so harshly in legislating how a defensive player can make contact with an offensive player. Can we at least start penalizing a Maurice Jones-Drew or Adrian Peterson for lowering their heads and making helmet to helmet contact on a defender to get that extra yard? Can we penalize a Jason Witten or Antonio Gates for grabbing a defender's facemask to keep that defender at bay a moment more to gain that extra yard?

The way this is coming out (The changes the NFL is making) is basically protecting offense by making the defense the villain.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 03:37 PM
the helmet to helmet discussion has nothing to do with this...Harrison didn't go helmet to helmet

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 03:38 PM
*sigh* Kev. I have no problem with them taking away lead with the helmet hits and helmet to helmet hits. The game itself is one of violent collisions. The James Harrison hit that started the uproar in his case was his shoulder and forearm that made contact with the Cleveland player, not his head.

While we're at it, if we're going to go so harshly in legislating how a defensive player can make contact with an offensive player. Can we at least start penalizing a Maurice Jones-Drew or Adrian Peterson for lowering their heads and making helmet to helmet contact on a defender to get that extra yard? Can we penalize a Jason Witten or Antonio Gates for grabbing a defender's facemask to keep that defender at bay a moment more to gain that extra yard?

The way this is coming out (The changes the NFL is making) is basically protecting offense by making the defense the villain.

nevermind:D shoulda read this pimp's post

Scott D
10/19/2010, 03:38 PM
fo sho

Scott D
10/19/2010, 03:39 PM
and clearly I'm not biased toward defensive players ;)

lasooner123
10/19/2010, 03:39 PM
he said hurt not injure...he doesnt wanna like paralyze anyone

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 04:03 PM
*sigh* Kev....
Well, I am not above using hyperbole, but I do have a problem with people crying that the NFL is being wussified just because steps are being taken to protect players from career- and life-threatening harm. I do not think it's glorious or beautiful for a DB to get a WR in his sights from 20 yards away and then to plant his helmet full force into the guys chinstrap when he goes up for the ball. I've seen plenty of hits (and felt a few snot-bubblers myself) that did not involve head shots. The NFL was a tough, high-impact sport before helmets became weapons of choice and it will be so afterward.

And it really gripes me to see so many macho posers falling all over each other on the boards to proclaim their he-man love of the possibility of critical injuries. Maybe they should write the paralyzed kid from Rutgers to say how much they REALLY enjoyed that game. :mad:

(Remember what I said about hyperbole! :D )

Blue
10/19/2010, 04:24 PM
Well, I am not above using hyperbole, but I do have a problem with people crying that the NFL is being wussified just because steps are being taken to protect players from career- and life-threatening harm. I do not think it's glorious or beautiful for a DB to get a WR in his sights from 20 yards away and then to plant his helmet full force into the guys chinstrap when he goes up for the ball. I've seen plenty of hits (and felt a few snot-bubblers myself) that did not involve head shots. The NFL was a tough, high-impact sport before helmets became weapons of choice and it will be so afterward.

And it really gripes me to see so many macho posers falling all over each other on the boards to proclaim their he-man love of the possibility of critical injuries. Maybe they should write the paralyzed kid from Rutgers to say how much they REALLY enjoyed that game. :mad:

(Remember what I said about hyperbole! :D )

Yeah. Football players are soft. And I like it when they get hurt and injured. Even better, paralyzed! Thats exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

Get off your highhorse, TU.

There'salready a rule against helmet to helmet. We're debating what exactly constitutes a "vicious hit". Two of the hits sunday were textbook head to the chest hits that just happen to cause injuries. You can't have these guys going half-speed out there or people can get hurt that way as well.

Eielson
10/19/2010, 04:48 PM
I think any good defensive player feels the same way Harrison does.

Scott D
10/19/2010, 05:30 PM
I think it's glorious for a DB to have a great hit on a WR when it's done correctly. The problem is that some safeties and linebackers have gone away from the fundamental way of tackling someone to looking for a "knockout shot".

To me the line is what if the situation is where it's two players running full speed that collide because they don't see each other? One of those players ends up with a concussion, do we define the guy without the concussion as having made a "vicious hit" when it was only a collision?

I don't like injuries, I don't enjoy injuries. Hell I get up every day reminded of serious injuries. However, I tended to play every sport I ever played with reckless abandon and as physical as a guy who was as skinny as I was could. That was just how I was as a kid, doesn't make it wrong. Plenty of times I went for the psychological game of if I "hurt" (not injured) a guy, but he was able to keep playing it would give them second thoughts about roaming into an area that they knew I was likely to be. That's the gist of what James Harrison was saying in his comments. It's a football equivalent of the old if a kid puts his hand over an open flame he'll get burned and be less likely to do it again....or become a pyromaniac.

Also FWIW, Keyshawn Johnson (who took one of the more vicious shots going over the middle I've ever seen in regards to the fact that he went one way and his helmet another) was asked if he'd rather have a defender hit him in the head/shoulders area or around his knees. His response without a pause was the head/shoulder area.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 05:32 PM
But Keyshawn Johnson didn't have anything of value to protect in his noggin. :)

Scott D
10/19/2010, 05:37 PM
if you ask most receivers they'd rather get knocked out than suffer a knee injury.

Eielson
10/19/2010, 06:04 PM
if you ask most receivers they'd rather get knocked out than suffer a knee injury.

Knees are more important than brains for WR's.