PDA

View Full Version : Helmet to Helmet

cccasooner2
10/18/2010, 09:26 PM
NFL position soon with mandatory suspensions beginninng this W/E. Will the NCAA & NAIA follow suit? How soon?

:pop:

agoo758
10/18/2010, 09:28 PM
Who knows? They rarely even call it to begin with. They really need to do a better job tracking it down and calling it

tanjou
Good. If it actually happens in the NFL I hope the NCAA and high school organizations get on board.

What has been proposed is that a penalty is called during the game, and the suspension is determined through replay after the game.

CrimsonRez
Let's just let them play in zorb balls already...jeez

http://jacksonmountainhomes.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/april4.jpg

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 09:30 PM
I doubt it. Why suspend a player if they lead by accident? A lot of these so called helmet to helmet hits that are being called really are text book tackles and hits. As an ex olinemen I can't rememberhow many times I was involved in a helmet to helmet hit.

If the NCAA does this, then they need to do the hits that can be looked at as deliberatenot the text book tackles where helmets may collide.

Serge Ibaka
10/18/2010, 09:33 PM
I see possible suspensions being targeted more for hits on defenseless WRs (like the incident that left Jackson with a concussion this past Sunday).

delhalew
10/18/2010, 09:34 PM
The conferences are very different in how they enforce these things. In the SEC leading with the helmet is proper technique. In the Big12 looking at somebody the wrong way will get you penalized.
Conversly, in the Big12 you don't see near the celebration penalties.
I guess my point is the NCAAneeds to get some consistancy across the board and do away with conference crews. Having a national pool to choose from and all officials trained the same.
Maybe then they can discuss such a strict policy.

Leroy Lizard
10/18/2010, 09:45 PM
As an ex olinemen I can't rememberhow many times I was involved in a helmet to helmet hit.

But we can tell, especially when you start spouting playoff ideas. :D

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 09:52 PM
But we can tell, especially when you start spouting playoff ideas. :D

Haven't heard your dumbass spout out any ideas to make our system better. He'll in fCt I have never seen you type anything That is actually worthwhile and good ideas. ;)

bluedogok
10/18/2010, 09:54 PM
Who knows? They rarely even call it to begin with. They really need to do a better job tracking it down and calling it
The NFL League office tracks it through game replays, they issue fines during the week. The in-game penalty calling of it has been lacking but since it seems to have become a "priority item" then you can bet it will be called more in the coming weeks.

Leroy Lizard
10/18/2010, 10:19 PM
Haven't heard your dumbass spout out any ideas to make our system better. He'll in fCt I have never seen you type anything That is actually worthwhile and good ideas. ;)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/Loki99-photos/Francis.jpg

JLEW1818
10/18/2010, 10:19 PM
I am Leroy Lizard

Collier11
10/18/2010, 10:27 PM
They are looking more for the hits like Dunta Robinson had where he launched himself into the player. Alot of times players get flagged when he is text book tackling and the off player lowers his head.

Something has to be done though. I am typically one of those who says let them play Fn football but with all of the concussions and the potential for neck injuries like we saw in the Rutgers game, theyve got to get guys to stop leading with their head

cccasooner2
10/18/2010, 10:32 PM
.....theyve got to get guys to stop leading with their head

Ditka said the same today. Today the helmet is used as a weapon, with the helmet he wore no one would dare use it that way.

bluedogok
10/18/2010, 10:44 PM
Ditka said the same today. Today the helmet is used as a weapon, with the helmet he wore no one would dare use it that way.
Kind of the same thing with cars nowadays, the "safety bubble" has made them think less about the consequences of poor decisions. The helmet made the game "too safe" for the aggressor.

OUinFLA
10/18/2010, 11:16 PM
play without helmets, that will cut most of it out.

OUthunder
10/18/2010, 11:17 PM
play without helmets, that will cut most of it out.

old school leather.

Cornfed
10/18/2010, 11:47 PM
This is one place I agree with j Traber, "the sissification of America".

soonergirlNeugene
10/19/2010, 02:26 AM
I certainly didn't like the no-call for that ugly hit on Bradford.

Refs idle while Bradford takes illegal helmet-to-helmet hit

It's a miracle Sam Bradford doesn't have a concussion after a brutal head shot from Kevin Burnett, a hit that went unflagged.

Week 6 this year might be forever known as the day of brutal helmet to helmet hits. St. Louis Rams QB Sam Bradford took a shot from Chargers LB Kevin Burnett.

Bradford got lucky in that it didn't result in a nasty injury. Just as lucky was Burnett, who got away with attempted murder while the refs stood idly by. Check out the video evidence:

Inexcusable. The refs gave the Rams a makeup call, but that would have been little consolation had the Rams lost their starting QB on the kind of hits refs are responsible for taking out of the game.

Burnett ought to get a hefty fine for this, but is he the only one that should be punished? Doug Farrar makes a great case in this post at Shutdown Corner for how to handle these kind of hits. Fines and suspension for refs should be part of the answer. Will at Rams Herd has a good post on this too.

It's one thing to watch when your team doesn't get a pass interference call. This is different. Teams invest too much money in personnel and fans invest too much time and money of their own to watch top players get taken out because of referee idleness.

Link (http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/10/18/1759255/refs-idle-while-bradford-takes-illegal-helmet-to-helmet-hit) to article with video of the hit

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:28 AM
Horrible idea by fining and suspending the refs...they will over compensate and make the game unbearable

Aries
10/19/2010, 08:58 AM
I think the hit on Bradford would be a classic case of where it wasn't called in the game, but may be fined or player possibly suspended by the league based on review the following week.

Not that it matters, but just as an FYI, both Spagnuolo and Bradford said they had no problem with the non-call.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 09:03 AM
i think a problem, and i think collier mentioned this earlier, is how many times its a defensive player tackling right and a O player lowers his head...

it just seems all these new rules either don't get called when they should or get called when they shouldnt

SoonerPr8r
10/19/2010, 09:27 AM
Of course they are going to say they were okay with the hit. No fooball player would say different because it would make them look weak and they would get ridiculed for it. But being made fun of is better than ending up as loopy as a prize fighter by your mid 30s. All that cumulative damage to the brain causes some long term problems. Just because there is no concussion doesn't mean there is no damage to the brain. Better helmets can help but mostly the players admit when they think they have a concussion and the coaches need to sit any players who they think have a concussion.

KantoSooner
10/19/2010, 09:53 AM
Add 1/4" of impact absorbing gel to the outside of the helmet. Would be a bit ugly, but would absorb the first micro-second of the impact, which is when the g forces and impact are at their worst.

The
10/19/2010, 09:56 AM
Flag football would be safer.

/football is dangerous. It's a man's game. People can get hurt, and have even died playing it. That's why we like it. That's why people play it.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 10:00 AM
Add 1/4" of impact absorbing gel to the outside of the helmet. Would be a bit ugly, but would absorb the first micro-second of the impact, which is when the g forces and impact are at their worst.

I think along those lines as well. More generally, it seems like there should be some technology that could help. Some teams played with exterior padding on helmets for a while, but couldn't get agreement from all teams to do it. The explanations I read was that coaches were afraid the other team would have an advantage if they didn't pad the helmet because it would be a better weapon! I don't know if that's true, but if so, it would have to be mandated to work.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 02:55 PM

/football is dangerous. It's a man's game. People can get hurt, and have even died playing it. That's why we like it. That's why people play it.

It's like NASCAR. Their reducing the speed of cars to save lives, but at what point does the sport become a haven for sissies?

In the case of NASCAR, it already has.

I remember a time when auto racing was truly dangerous. At times a wreck was so horrendous that rules needed to be changed, as in the Sachs/MacDonald inferno at the Indy 500. But now we anguish over every injury.

Remember the "in the grasp" rule? (Do they still have it? I don't follow the NFL.)

Collier11
10/19/2010, 02:58 PM
Actually I thought Nascar said basically to "let it fly" this year, "anything goes". It got a lot of anger from the drivers because they felt Nascar was going for ratings over safety...and I dont see these comparable, death is alot more likely in Nascar than football

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, well. But Ditka and those old guys were sissies who didn't know half as much about "real" football and "real" hitting as today's messsage-board posters know.

:D

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 03:11 PM

I bet you were sad when they outlawed bear-baiting and gladatorial combat to the death. Up to now, your posts have been a lot more thoughtful and clever than that there PoS (unless you just forgot the " ;) ").

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2010, 03:16 PM
Actually I thought Nascar said basically to "let it fly" this year, "anything goes". It got a lot of anger from the drivers because they felt Nascar was going for ratings over safety...and I dont see these comparable, death is alot more likely in Nascar than football

You may be right. I quit watching NASCAR the day they made Tony Stewart take anger management courses after a pit fight. As I said before, if a driver gets wronged they should have to take anger management courses if they refuse to fight.

"You let that dude do that to you and you didn't knock the crap out of him!?!? We need you to sign up for Anger 101."

Collier11
10/19/2010, 03:21 PM
I have never watched Nascar, I unfortunately heard about it on sportscenter one night :D

The
10/19/2010, 03:23 PM
I bet you were sad when they outlawed bear-baiting and gladatorial combat to the death. Up to now, your posts have been a lot more thoughtful and clever than that there PoS (unless you just forgot the " ;) ").

Well that was Rude, Gus.

Humanity needs a violent outlet. We are violent creatures. I LIKE it when a receiver gets crucified going over the middle. I LIKE it when a FB knocks the bejesus out of a safety. I LOVE it when a quarterback gets obliterated by a blindside blitz.

I played football in HS, and like everyone else that was slow and unathletic but played anyways, would have loved to continue playing. I want my son to play when he stops pooping his diapers.

Football is risky. It's dangerous. Everyone playing it knows that. That's why men play it, and girls play baseball and soccer. Some things in life are not meant to be safe, and bygod, football is one of them.:texan:

KantoSooner
10/19/2010, 04:51 PM
I wonder if anyone ever thought to combine bear baiting and gladiatorial combat to the death AND to make it a team thing.

Like on one team you'd have the Amazon Women, Lions and Titus of Gaul. On the other 6-8 Brown Bears, Geronimo's Family Band and Tina Turner.

I was born a promoter!

Eielson
10/19/2010, 05:01 PM
I think the hit on Bradford would be a classic case of where it wasn't called in the game, but may be fined or player possibly suspended by the league based on review the following week.

Not that it matters, but just as an FYI, both Spagnuolo and Bradford said they had no problem with the non-call.

I like how that situation played out. Helmet to helmet hits are going to happen accidentally, and that call was nearly the difference in four points. There probably shouldn't be a fine for that one, but some should get small fines just to encourage defensive players to stay away from the helmet. The hits that I really don't like are the ones by the safeties after the ball has already been tipped by the receiver and about to fall incomplete. Those are completely unnecessary.

The
10/19/2010, 05:04 PM
The hits that I really don't like are the ones by the safeties after the ball has already been tipped by the receiver and about to fall incomplete. Those are completely unnecessary.

Makes receivers "hear footsteps" later in the game. Is good stuff.:texan:

Eielson
10/19/2010, 05:05 PM

Like I said...completely unnecessary.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 05:09 PM

That's what made Daryl Stingley a quadriplegic. The ball was over-thrown and long gone when he got hit. And it didn't work, as he never heard footsteps again.
:(

Scott D
10/19/2010, 05:45 PM
he heard them, they just weren't his.

Blue
10/19/2010, 06:05 PM

What's your problem? Not everybody agrees with you on this. Deal with it.

Penguin
10/19/2010, 06:15 PM
They need to invent a contraption that keeps the neck from getting snapped. Concussions are one thing. Permanent paralysis is quite another.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 06:33 PM
What's your problem? Not everybody agrees with you on this. Deal with it.

Where's the fun in that?! :D

GKeeper316
10/19/2010, 07:05 PM
football is a violent sport.

you assume the risk of injury when you take the field of play.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 07:16 PM
They need to invent a contraption that keeps the neck from getting snapped. Concussions are one thing. Permanent paralysis is quite another.

I'd love to see some technology solution too. But necks rarely ever get snapped as they are extremely flexible. The problem is compression when all the vertebrae are lined up and the player takes a hit on the top of the helmet. A helmet would almost have to be one piece with the shoulder pads to absorb shock on the shoulder instead of compressing the neck. Or maybe some sort of restraining device that stops the player from ducking his head and lining up the spine like that. (But I also disagree with the "concussions are one thing". They can be extremely serious too and the damage is proving to be cumulative).

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 08:07 PM
football is a violent sport.

you assume the risk of injury when you take the field of play.

That's just wrong. And dumb. Holy **** man, everybody who glibly makes this blanket statement needs to wake the **** up. Sure, players assume some risk, but not all risks and not preventable risks. Shall we stop all safety measures just so we can get more amusement out of watching people wreck each other's necks and brains?
Think about all the implications of that ridiculous statement (which has been made by many). This is simply a very immature an short-sighted view.

Blue
10/19/2010, 08:10 PM
That's just wrong. And dumb. Holy **** man, everybody who glibly makes this blanket statement needs to wake the **** up. Sure, players assume some risk, but not all risks and not preventable risks. Shall we stop all safety measures just so we can get more amusement out of watching people wreck each other's necks and brains?
Think about all the implications of that ridiculous statement (which has been made by many). This is simply a very immature an short-sighted view.

I'm kinda seeing where your coming from here. After Dale died, NASCAR made the necessary changes and its become much safer. Before he died, people could easily say, "They're driving 200 mph, they know the risk."

I just disagree w/ the rule. Helmet to helmet, fine, good idea, but "vicious hit?" They're just making it way to subjective.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 08:10 PM
I'd love to see some technology solution too. But necks rarely ever get snapped as they are extremely flexible. The problem is compression when all the vertebrae are lined up and the player takes a hit on the top of the helmet. A helmet would almost have to be one piece with the shoulder pads to absorb shock on the shoulder instead of compressing the neck. Or maybe some sort of restraining device that stops the player from ducking his head and lining up the spine like that. (But I also disagree with the "concussions are one thing". They can be extremely serious too and the damage is proving to be cumulative).

The answer is not more helmet, it's LESS. The helmet has evolved beyond head protection into weaponry. It makes the hitter feel invincible.
And if you keep adding equipment you might as well go with knights jousting on horseback, or bumper cars.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2010, 08:14 PM
The answer is not more helmet, it's LESS. The helmet has evolved beyond head protection into weaponry. It makes the hitter feel invincible.
And if you keep adding equipment you might as well go with knights jousting on horseback, or bumper cars.

I agree and that's why I liked it when teams experimented with padding on the *exterior* of the helmet. They made them less of a weapon and that's the reason coaches were hesitant to use them - the didn't want a "helmet gap". And the helmets were ugly too, so fashion trumps safety.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 08:16 PM
I agree and that's why I liked it when teams experimented with padding on the *exterior* of the helmet. They made them less of a weapon and that's the reason coaches were hesitant to use them - the didn't want a "helmet gap". And the helmets were ugly too, so fashion trumps safety.

Word. :D And we DO like our collisions!

The
10/20/2010, 08:59 AM
NFL official store selling the “flagrant hit” photo of Harrison laying out Massaquoi (http://www.steelersgab.com/2010/10/19/nfl-official-store-selling-the-flagrant-hit-photo-of-harrison-laying-out-massaquoi/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SteelersGab+%28Steelers+Gab%29)

http://www.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/harrison1.jpg

Want to OWN the picture of James Harrison crushing Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi? You know, the one that cost Harrison $75 grand on Tuesday?
Well, the fine folks at the NFL will gladly SELL you the pic (http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/james-harrison-mohamed-massaquoi_321187.cfm) for a cool $15.95 to $64.95.
That’s right, the NFL official website has put the photo of Harrison and Massaquoi on sale, this after they came out used rather strong language stating they were no longer going to stand for the “dangerous and flagrant hits,” that landed a couple players on the bench Sunday.
Funny to note though that the league seems to have no issues making a buck off the very photo. If that’s not a case of hypocrisy, I don’t know what is.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 09:02 AM
they've already taken it down...

But this proves what I've said about the NFL for years...Fine a player for a hit and then make a DVD called the NFL's greatest hits and sell it for 20 bucks....If safety was really their big concern, they wouldnt be trying to profit from what they call illegal

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 09:02 AM
and btw, the Harrison hits weren't helmet to helmet...which is another thing I dont understand..

The
10/20/2010, 09:03 AM
Meh, I don't watch a whole lot of NFL anyways.

soonersweetie
10/20/2010, 09:33 AM
Football is not a tea party. That said, I understand the NFL's point on intentional helmet to helmet hits. Key word being intentional. Is that subjective? Sure it is, and therein lies the problem. What I see as an ok hit, my neighbor may see as malicious and intentional. Likewise with the refs. How in the world are they going to police this objectively? What about unintentional hits? You are taught from pee wee football to tackle what you see, head on. You don't mean to injure the guy. Your job is to stop him. You are taught to give 100% or you will get hurt. So, now we are asking guys to back off? Will we see more injuries, who knows?

And if this is an in-game penalty, get ready for the games to go extra long due to all this, i.e extra commercials...which may be the whole driving force behind this - more money.

And don't even get me started on the celebration penalties. Totally crazy in my opinion.

We are humans, not robots. If they wanted 100% no injuries and no outbursts of emotion every game then lets just pack it up and all play Madden football on our playstation, ugh.

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 09:42 AM
I'm kinda seeing where your coming from here. After Dale died, NASCAR made the necessary changes and its become much safer. Before he died, people could easily say, "They're driving 200 mph, they know the risk."

I just disagree w/ the rule. Helmet to helmet, fine, good idea, but "vicious hit?" They're just making it way to subjective.

I have to agree that "vicious hit" or "devastating hit" is too vague. If it were a criminal law, it would be too vague to be enforced. It would be better to specify that you can't lead with your helmet or you can't aim for the other guy's head. I don't really think the NFL is talking about eliminating hard hits and snot bubblers, but only trying to protect the cabeza.

Scott D
10/20/2010, 12:09 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

Eielson
10/20/2010, 12:38 PM
Harrison mulling retirement...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

Eielson
10/20/2010, 12:40 PM
He'll definitely be back, but $75,000 is ridiculous. Shoot, any fine would be ridiculous.

PalmBeachSooner
10/20/2010, 12:44 PM
Good. If it actually happens in the NFL I hope the NCAA and high school organizations get on board.

What has been proposed is that a penalty is called during the game, and the suspension is determined through replay after the game.

It's been a point of emphasis at the HS for 3 or 4 years now. It doesn't even have to be helmet-to-helmet. Simply leading with your helment is a personal foul now.

Eielson
10/20/2010, 12:45 PM
It's been a point of emphasis at the HS for 3 or 4 years now. It doesn't even have to be helmet-to-helmet. Simply leading with your helment is a personal foul now.

They might say that, but I've never seen it.

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 12:57 PM
Harrison mulling retirement...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

Pfffft. He won't retire. No way. He's just pouting.
And I had to laugh when his agent complained that the poor little lad doesn't even know how he's supposed to play football anymore. :rolleyes:
Geez, who are the bigger crybabies, just now? The league for enforcing rules against head shots or the few/several players & fans who suddenly howl like the league is cutting off their 'nads?

If the league has overreacted to this situation, even moreso have some players.

And as long as I'm here....

Should the league back-track on its concussion treatment policy as well? You know, the new protocals that seem to result in concussed players spending more time on the bench before returning to the game? I suggest it was the league's newly discovered concern over concussions that has led to this new enforcement binge. Cynically, I think maybe they figure that if the "labor" is going to miss time in the cotton patch if they get their heads racked, then they need to protect the heads to keep the players in action.

Oh, one more thing: I find the NFL to be extrrememly hypocritical for making this current (& correct IMHO) fuss over protecting the players from brain damage at the same time they are shoving an 18 game season down their throats.

OK, that's all. :)

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 01:00 PM
and btw, the Harrison hits weren't helmet to helmet...which is another thing I dont understand..

I never actually saw it, but didn't he go right at the guy's head with his forearm/elbow/hands whatever? I suspect it was targeting the head that caused the trouble. But like I said, I never saw the play.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 01:15 PM
here is where this whole issue is going to get stupid..

DeSean Jackson, who is about 5'9 170 lbs...he is running across the middle of the field to catch a pass..DBs are taught to time the hit with the receiver catching the ball...the DB has to assume he is going to catch it...

a 6'2 215 lb safety sees him running across the middle of the field and times his hit on him...he has to assume that the receiver is going to catch the ball, not thinking that the pass is too high or whatever...ANY hit that he puts on DJ on that route is going to look vicious...What is he supposed to do?

How many times have you seen a guy get decleated running across the middle and it wasnt that hard of a hit?

I'm all for helmet to helmet..but this other is ridiculous

Scott D
10/20/2010, 01:18 PM
agreed, out of the three players fined, only Meriweather deserved it.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2010, 01:21 PM
i agree with your agreement

Eielson
10/20/2010, 01:22 PM
agreed, out of the three players fined, only Meriweather deserved it.

Agreed.

TUSooner
10/20/2010, 01:33 PM
here is where this whole issue is going to get stupid..

DeSean Jackson, who is about 5'9 170 lbs...he is running across the middle of the field to catch a pass..DBs are taught to time the hit with the receiver catching the ball...the DB has to assume he is going to catch it...

a 6'2 215 lb safety sees him running across the middle of the field and times his hit on him...he has to assume that the receiver is going to catch the ball, not thinking that the pass is too high or whatever...ANY hit that he puts on DJ on that route is going to look vicious...What is he supposed to do?

How many times have you seen a guy get decleated running across the middle and it wasnt that hard of a hit?

I'm all for helmet to helmet..but this other is ridiculous

That's why they have to limit these punishments to head shots, IMHO. Plenty of "vicious" hits do not involve cracking the other guy's head or neck and should not be punished. I suspect there's more agrement on this subject than you might suspect, but because the NFL used that wooly phrase, "devastating hits" there's a lot of concern that guys would be punished for things that they didn't know were wrong, and probably shouldn't be wrong. And whenever you start leaving important things up to the discretion of the zebras (which are more closely related to donkeys than thoroughbreds) the situation is not likely to improve or become clearer.

cccasooner2
10/20/2010, 05:47 PM
The Joe Pa solution. :)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/JoePa-didn-t-wear-a-facemask-He-doesn-t-think-t;_ylt=AqyGv8fUwkXJId1H1MZq.sEcvrYF?urn=ncaaf-278329

Eielson
10/20/2010, 09:17 PM
I wonder how Joe Pa spends his contract money.

rainiersooner
10/20/2010, 10:12 PM

You're a pretty messed up dude who I suspect hasn't lived many years on this earth if what you like about football is that people can get hurt or die from it.

Collier11
10/20/2010, 10:26 PM
I take his point, think about it. What draws us to football? Its the excitement and the hard hits are part of that. How many times have we oooh'd and ahhh'd when Everage or Carter or any of our Def players knock out another teams player with a big hit? I never want to see anyone get hurt and especially dont want to see anyone die or be paralyzed but I love the big hit as much as the next guy. Most football players love playing cus they love the contact as well

BoulderSooner79
10/20/2010, 11:13 PM
I'll have to admit, C11, the hard hits don't do for much for me anymore. I loved them as much as anyone when I was younger and had more testosterone in the system, but no more. If I never see another player wobble off the field not knowing what day it is or another one of those "please don't show that leg twist that way in slow-motion again", I'll die a happier man. I still love so many other things about the game, that I can't give it up yet. (I have bailed on the NFL though).

To me, the perfect hit was the one Curtis Lofton gave Chase Daniel in the '07 CCG. A hard, clean hit with no going to the head and both players popped up jawin' at each other and continued to play the rest of the game. I know it doesn't always happen that way and people do get hurt, but I do really think they can teach players not to go the head. Not just with the helmet, but forearms, shoulder pads too. Plenty of body left to hit hard. But I also know I'm not the typical fan and I'm not going to write my congressman or anything. I don't have to watch.

Blue
10/20/2010, 11:21 PM
Nobody wants to see any injuries. the kid from Rutgers is a bad bad deal and is extremely sad. What could have prevented that though?

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 07:32 AM
I'll have to admit, C11, the hard hits don't do for much for me anymore. I loved them as much as anyone when I was younger and had more testosterone in the system, but no more. If I never see another player wobble off the field not knowing what day it is or another one of those "please don't show that leg twist that way in slow-motion again", I'll die a happier man. I still love so many other things about the game, that I can't give it up yet. (I have bailed on the NFL though).

To me, the perfect hit was the one Curtis Lofton gave Chase Daniel in the '07 CCG. A hard, clean hit with no going to the head and both players popped up jawin' at each other and continued to play the rest of the game. I know it doesn't always happen that way and people do get hurt, but I do really think they can teach players not to go the head. Not just with the helmet, but forearms, shoulder pads too. Plenty of body left to hit hard. But I also know I'm not the typical fan and I'm not going to write my congressman or anything. I don't have to watch.
Little children, sophomorons, couch-humping macho men . . . y'all need to read this about 20 times and then STFU. YWIA.

olevetonahill
10/21/2010, 07:39 AM
Little children, sophomorons, couch-humping macho men . . . y'all need to read this about 20 times and then STFU. YWIA.

You a gettin awful grouchy in yer old age aint ya :P

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2010, 09:06 AM
menopause :D

TUSooner
10/21/2010, 10:28 AM
You a gettin awful grouchy in yer old age aint ya :P

Yeah well, every now and then I feel like laying a virtual bitch-slap on some of these mouthy young whippersnappers who don't know WTF they're talking about. You know the feeling. :D

Sooner_Tuf
10/21/2010, 10:48 AM

Wait....umm bear baiting is illegal?

Scott D
10/21/2010, 10:54 AM
Nobody wants to see any injuries. the kid from Rutgers is a bad bad deal and is extremely sad. What could have prevented that though?

Kick and punt coverage is by far the most dangerous part of the game, bar none.

perculator
10/21/2010, 01:47 PM
That's why they have to limit these punishments to head shots, IMHO. Plenty of "vicious" hits do not involve cracking the other guy's head or neck and should not be punished. I suspect there's more agrement on this subject than you might suspect, but because the NFL used that wooly phrase, "devastating hits" there's a lot of concern that guys would be punished for things that they didn't know were wrong, and probably shouldn't be wrong. And whenever you start leaving important things up to the discretion of the zebras (which are more closely related to donkeys than thoroughbreds) the situation is not likely to improve or become clearer.

what happens when they start taking out knees?