PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Oklahoma Beer

yankee
10/18/2010, 07:30 PM
I'm sure it's been beaten to death 100 times, but as a native Texan, is there a link that explains the difference between Okie beer and regular beer? I understand that Okie beer is 3.2% alcohol by weight which is 4% alcohol by volume. So there really isn't a huge difference in alcohol amounts between Okie beer and TX beer. My Texas friend says that Keystone and Natty are even lighter in Oklahoma than the light beers. Is that true? Help me out. K coooooooool. Thanks!

starclassic tama
10/18/2010, 07:38 PM
budweiser in texas and most states is 5.0% by volume. beer in oklahoma can be served cold at a maximum of 3.2% by volume. the volume/weight thing is just how it is measured...by weight it's about 4.0%, with texas beer being about 6.0% by weight. there is a noticeable difference. people can say, well it's only 1.8% more, but when you are dealing with a number as small as 5.0%, 1.8% is a big difference.

reflector
10/18/2010, 08:47 PM
If you want to purchase beer more than 3.2%, you have to buy it at liquor stores I believe.

Ike
10/18/2010, 08:56 PM
If you want to purchase beer more than 3.2%, you have to buy it at liquor stores I believe.

And buy it warm....just wrong.

silverwheels
10/18/2010, 09:19 PM
budweiser in texas and most states is 5.0% by volume. beer in oklahoma can be served cold at a maximum of 3.2% by volume. the volume/weight thing is just how it is measured...by weight it's about 4.0%, with texas beer being about 6.0% by weight. there is a noticeable difference. people can say, well it's only 1.8% more, but when you are dealing with a number as small as 5.0%, 1.8% is a big difference.

And of course Texas makes up for it by having dry counties.

KABOOKIE
10/18/2010, 09:40 PM
Tyler ****ing texass. You gotta drive like 40 miles to get beer. **** that.

bluedogok
10/18/2010, 10:46 PM
And of course Texas makes up for it by having dry counties.
...or "dry" voting precincts in Dallas.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2010, 10:52 PM
I'm sure it's been beaten to death 100 times, but as a native Texan, is there a link that explains the difference between Okie beer and regular beer? I understand that Okie beer is 3.2% alcohol by weight which is 4% alcohol by volume. So there really isn't a huge difference in alcohol amounts between Okie beer and TX beer. My Texas friend says that Keystone and Natty are even lighter in Oklahoma than the light beers. Is that true? Help me out. K coooooooool. Thanks!

Being from Oklahoma but going to school in Texas, I've had plenty of both beers.

Oklahoma beer tastes like camel ****.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2010, 10:54 PM
The irony of the situation is that the liquor store lobby and certain Christian groups "team up" to lobby against allowing normal beer to be sold in grocery stores/convenience stores.

I really don't like activist Christians.

olevetonahill
10/18/2010, 11:06 PM

Yankee. Yer friends are full of **** .
Nuff said :cool:

olevetonahill
10/18/2010, 11:09 PM

And buy it warm....just wrong.

Being from Oklahoma but going to school in Texas, I've had plenty of both beers.

Oklahoma beer tastes like camel ****.

Yall are dummer than camel ****.
By volume is way Dif than By weight
Drive the extry miles fer Beer that aint any more stronger9 Cept in yer Head) than Beer in OK .
The Beer ya buy in the LS HOT is the Same Dayum Beer ya Buy COLD in the Cstore next door .:rolleyes:

GKeeper316
10/18/2010, 11:10 PM
the difference between oklahoma beer and texas beer is marginal... most beers are low in alcohol content anyway. i mean guinness is only about 4.5%.

just because in texas you cant sell beer in excess of 6% by volume (in a convienience store), doesnt mean its actually going to have a 6% alcohol content.

the whole "6 point beer" thing is one of the god-damned dumbest things people in oklahoma say.

olevetonahill
10/18/2010, 11:15 PM
the difference between oklahoma beer and texas beer is marginal... most beers are low in alcohol content anyway. i mean guinness is only about 4.5%.

just because in texas you cant sell beer in excess of 6% by volume (in a convienience store), doesnt mean its actually going to have a 6% alcohol content.

the whole "6 point beer" thing is one of the god-damned dumbest things people in oklahoma say.

Hesuze christ Gomer . YOU get it ;)
Hell Now I got to Spek ya
If YOU ****ing Idiots dont believe it, Call the ****ing Breweries :rolleyes:
I get so sick of the Idiots saying " Okie Beer Tastes Like water " But Arkie/Saxet Beer is the real stuff . Give me a ****in break
Had one idjit tell me he couldnt Get drunk on Okie Beer . I called him a LIAR
:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
10/18/2010, 11:17 PM
Im just gonna send to Bolivia the next idjit that brings this up .:gary:

yermom
10/18/2010, 11:22 PM
but i can't buy good beer cold. that's the problem.

silverwheels
10/18/2010, 11:25 PM

They don't want you killing the sixer on the way home. Because, you know, that's a totally normal thing to do. But you can go to a bar and get hammered and drive home. Nothing wrong with that.

picasso
10/18/2010, 11:37 PM

Put the first 3 in the freezer.

I've never had a problem with so-called Oklahoma beer. I go to the liquor in the front store.

yankee
10/18/2010, 11:43 PM
Yankee. Yer friends are full of **** .
Nuff said :cool:

i know you get all personal about okie beer...not sure why when you got OVJ. :D

this is what my friend said:

"You'd have to drink Bud Ice or Keystone Ice to get the 6%.

Coors Light and Bud Light have roughly a 4.25-4.3% on average.

Keystone and Natty are at a 3%"

i'd love to prove him wrong because he's an idiot.

yermom
10/18/2010, 11:47 PM
Put the first 3 in the freezer.

I've never had a problem with so-called Oklahoma beer. I go to the liquor in the front store.

i'm talking imports or things like Fat Tire, that i can't even get.

sure, an ice bath gets them cold, but i have to jump through hoops because some legislators are in someone's pocket, not because of some public safety thing

i also can't buy them on Sunday or after 9PM. it's lame. it's not like i'm some alcoholic, i just like the occasional beer, and i'd rather them not be crappy domestics a lot of the time, and i basically have to plan ahead

Boarder
10/18/2010, 11:52 PM

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/1341 Keystone light 4.2%

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/1341 Natty 4.2%

yankee
10/18/2010, 11:54 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/1341 Keystone light 4.2%

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/1341 Natty 4.2%

thanks!

i assume that 4.2% is the ABV, regardless of state?

Boarder
10/18/2010, 11:55 PM
Outside of 3.2 states, yes.

yankee
10/18/2010, 11:58 PM
Outside of 3.2 states, yes.

lol. :confused:

3.2 states means 3.2 ABW, which is roughly 4.2 ABV.

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 12:26 AM
First, some definitions:

Alcohol by weightAmount of alcohol in beer measured in terms of the percentage weight of alcohol per volume of beer, i.e., 3.2% alcohol by weights equals 3.2 grams of alcohol per 100 centiliters of beer. (It is approximately 20% less than alcohol by volume.)

Alcohol by volumeAmount of alcohol in beer in terms of percentage volume of alcohol per volume of beer.

Alcohol By Volume
Alcohol by volume (ABV) simply represents what portion of the total volume of liquid is alcohol. Our liquid of choice is, of course, beer. And to determine the ABV of a beer, a brewer typically uses what's called a hydrometer, which is an instrument that aids in measuring the density of liquid in relation to water (it essentially free-floats in a cylinder or liquid). The hydrometer will be calibrated to read 1.000 in water (at 60°F), and the denser the liquid (example: add sugar to the liquid), the higher the hydrometer reading.

Okay, so how does this relate to beer? Well, before yeast cells are introduced to ferment beer, the liquid is called "wort (pronounced wert)," and it's full of all kinds of sugars that were previously extracted from the grain. A brewer will take a hydrometer measurement of the wort (at 60°F) to determine what's called the original gravity (OG). Then yeast is pitched into the wort, and fermentation begins. As the yeast cells eat the sugar in the wort, they create two wonderful by-products: carbonation (CO2) and alcohol. And once the brewer has determined that our hungry yeast have had enough (could be days, weeks or months), s/he'll go ahead and pull another hydrometer reading (at 60°F) and record what's called the final gravity (FG).

Notice that all measurements were taken at 60°F. That's because the temperature of the liquid will impact the hydrometers' measurement of the liquid, and the hydrometer was calibrated with water at 60°F. So in order to maintain controlled calculations ... you get it. Otherwise you'd need to make adjustments in calculations, and we don't want to worry about that.

Calculating the ABV
Say our brewer crafted a high-alcohol beer. The OG measured at 1.080, and the beer stopped fermentation with a FG measurement of 1.011. Simply subtract the FG from the OG and multiply by 131.

1.080 - 1.011 = 0.069 x 131 = 9.039%

So we've got a 9 percent alcohol by volume beer. Easy!

Alcohol By Weight
Although alcohol by volume is becoming more of a standard in the U.S., don't be fooled. Often brewers throughout the U.S. and a few parts of the world will still use what's called alcohol by weight (ABW). If you purchase a beer that has ABW listed instead of ABV, the alcohol content is going to actually be higher than you might think. To convert ABW to ABV, simply multiply the ABW by 1.25. So a 7 percent ABW beer would be a 9 percent ABV beer. If for some reason you want to convert from ABV to ABW, multiply the ABV percent by 0.80.

Often brewpubs will list the OG (sometimes called SG: specific gravity) and the FG of their beers but no estimated alcohol by volume content. Using the extremely simple formulas above, not only can you work out the alcohol by volumes of the beers, but you'll impress the hell out of your friends.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/

Low-point beer (3.2 beer) is measured as alcohol by weight. So if you multiply 3.2 x 1.25 = 4% ABV.

Usually, the way the big boys make 3.2 beer is combination of adding water to the finished product and boiling off some ofthe alcohol until the hydrometer measurements show a gravity indicative of 3.2% ABW (or 4% ABV). But the beers they brew are already very close to 3.2 already (Bud Light for example, is 3.6% ABW to begin with, so the amount of water added to lower the ABW to 3.2% is negligible. In brewing, a little water can make a big difference in the final product.

Just brew your own. You can make it as strong as you want and it'll taste a helluva lot better than the swill the BMC brewers make. I have 4 cases of chocolate-almond stout gettin right in my basement at the moment with a healthy 5.7% ABV. I tasted one the other day, and while it's still pretty "green" it tastes dayumed good already. By the end of the month it'll be so good I'll want to slap somebody. I have a homebrewer friend that brewed up a batch of 10.3% Scotch Ale a few months ago. It's still evolving in the bottles, and it tastes smoother each time we try one. Still kicks like a mule, though.

Brewing your own is really very easy if you stick to the basics and go with an pre-made kit from a home brew store. Even if you go all-grain (as i have) it's still pretty easy. If you think about it, they were brewing beer in Mesopotamia 3000 years ago. If they can do it, you can too.

The Beer ya buy in the LS HOT is the Same Dayum Beer ya Buy COLD in the Cstore next door .:rolleyes:

Just to clarify, Vet...if a beer is legally available as a 3.2 beer cold in the c-store, by law in Oklahoma the "non-Oklahoma" version cannot be sold in a liquor store. You can't buy un-altered Budweiser in a liquor store. Unless they changed the law since I moved to TN, you couldn't sell ANY beer in a liquor store that was available in a c-store or supermarket. IOW, you couldn't buy 3.2 Bud or PBR in a liquor store because the ABLE nazis would have no way of knowing if it was actually the 3.2 "Oklahoma version" with the water-down beer or the 3.6 "real version" that was the un-altered stuff. The Oklahoma beer is different, just not enough to make a really noticable difference in drinking or effect. Which is why the law has to be one of the stupidest laws on the books. But lawmakers are ignorant to the realities of the brewing process and think that non-3.2 beer is some kind of satan-water. It is, but only because it tastes like hot-dog water. But then, I'm a beer snob...I think most of the mass-produced swill tastes like that.

sooner59
10/19/2010, 01:00 AM
Vet may neg ya fer that. :D

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 01:20 AM

sure, an ice bath gets them cold, but i have to jump through hoops because some legislators are in someone's pocket, not because of some public safety thing

i also can't buy them on Sunday or after 9PM. it's lame. it's not like i'm some alcoholic, i just like the occasional beer, and i'd rather them not be crappy domestics a lot of the time, and i basically have to plan ahead

Well **** **** **** . Talk about STORE bot beer Not the Imported shat .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 01:24 AM
Here Yall call em Im tired of messin wit Ya :rolleyes:
Anheuser-Busch (Ft Collins, CO)
2351 Busch Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80524
970-490-4691

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 01:28 AM
i know you get all personal about okie beer...not sure why when you got OVJ. :D

this is what my friend said:

"You'd have to drink Bud Ice or Keystone Ice to get the 6%.

Coors Light and Bud Light have roughly a 4.25-4.3% on average.

Yer friend is full of **** . Call the # i just posted . Beer is ****in BEER . Dont matter what ****in State ya buy it in. Yes ya Dumasses . If ya want the real HIGH point **** ya got to Buy it hot . for the average Beer it dont make a **** .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 01:35 AM
First, some definitions:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/

Low-point beer (3.2 beer) is measured as alcohol by weight. So if you multiply 3.2 x 1.25 = 4% ABV.

Usually, the way the big boys make 3.2 beer is combination of adding water to the finished product and boiling off some ofthe alcohol until the hydrometer measurements show a gravity indicative of 3.2% ABW (or 4% ABV). But the beers they brew are already very close to 3.2 already (Bud Light for example, is 3.6% ABW to begin with, so the amount of water added to lower the ABW to 3.2% is negligible. In brewing, a little water can make a big difference in the final product.

Just brew your own. You can make it as strong as you want and it'll taste a helluva lot better than the swill the BMC brewers make. I have 4 cases of chocolate-almond stout gettin right in my basement at the moment with a healthy 5.7% ABV. I tasted one the other day, and while it's still pretty "green" it tastes dayumed good already. By the end of the month it'll be so good I'll want to slap somebody. I have a homebrewer friend that brewed up a batch of 10.3% Scotch Ale a few months ago. It's still evolving in the bottles, and it tastes smoother each time we try one. Still kicks like a mule, though.

Brewing your own is really very easy if you stick to the basics and go with an pre-made kit from a home brew store. Even if you go all-grain (as i have) it's still pretty easy. If you think about it, they were brewing beer in Mesopotamia 3000 years ago. If they can do it, you can too.

Just to clarify, Vet...if a beer is legally available as a 3.2 beer cold in the c-store, by law in Oklahoma the "non-Oklahoma" version cannot be sold in a liquor store. You can't buy un-altered Budweiser in a liquor store. Unless they changed the law since I moved to TN, you couldn't sell ANY beer in a liquor store that was available in a c-store or supermarket. IOW, you couldn't buy 3.2 Bud or PBR in a liquor store because the ABLE nazis would have no way of knowing if it was actually the 3.2 "Oklahoma version" with the water-down beer or the 3.6 "real version" that was the un-altered stuff. The Oklahoma beer is different, just not enough to make a really noticable difference in drinking or effect. Which is why the law has to be one of the stupidest laws on the books. But lawmakers are ignorant to the realities of the brewing process and think that non-3.2 beer is some kind of satan-water. It is, but only because it tastes like hot-dog water. But then, I'm a beer snob...I think most of the mass-produced swill tastes like that.

I aint gonna NEG nuthin , Cause I DGAF
Call the Mother****ers , Axe em what the Dif is ?
It aint "WATERED DOWN" :rolleyes:

Its the same ****in BEER ya gonna get in surrounding states :pop:
Screw it , Im thru till one of you idjits PROVE me wrong . And ya got to get the Brewery Folks to tell me that Im wrong .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 01:39 AM
Heres a DEF. if its sold COLD in Saxet/ Arkie . Its the same ****in BEER ya get at the Local 7/11 cold, Its also the same ****in beer ya get HOT in the LS . Yall are Dumasses .:D
I rest My case .
Prove me wrong . Please .:pop:

yermom
10/19/2010, 01:58 AM
Well **** **** **** . Talk about STORE bot beer Not the Imported shat .:rolleyes:

Bud Light doesn't excite me, i don't care if it's from OK or Texas

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 02:10 AM
Heres a DEF. if its sold COLD in Saxet/ Arkie . Its the same ****in BEER ya get at the Local 7/11 cold, Its also the same ****in beer ya get HOT in the LS . Yall are Dumasses .:D
I rest My case .
Prove me wrong . Please .:pop:
I have sent a message to an online acquaintence of mine who was a brewmaster for Coors in Boulder. He's the guy that first formulated Blue Moon for 'em. I'll let you know what he sez.

But the fact remains: since you can buy Bud or Bud Light etc. in the grocery store in Oklahoma, it is illegal to sell it in the LS. Not because it is a different beer, but because there is no way to tell if it is >3.2% ABW (a can of Bud in Oklahoma looks just like a can of Bud in texass). So that is a moot point. The question is: is there a difference between the beer sold in Dallas and the beer sold in OKC?

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 02:32 AM
Bud Light doesn't excite me, i don't care if it's from OK or Texas

Ok thats what Im sayin , Yall wanta talk COLD sold Beer ok Ya wanta talk the same dayum Beer sold HOT ok its all the ****in same

I have sent a message to an online acquaintence of mine who was a brewmaster for Coors in Boulder. He's the guy that first formulated Blue Moon for 'em. I'll let you know what he sez.

But the fact remains: since you can buy Bud or Bud Light etc. in the grocery store in Oklahoma, it is illegal to sell it in the LS. Not because it is a different beer, but because there is no way to tell if it is >3.2% ABW (a can of Bud in Oklahoma looks just like a can of Bud in texass). So that is a moot point. The question is: is there a difference between the beer sold in Dallas and the beer sold in OKC?

Bro I dont GABF what he says . ITS the same dayum BEER
Walk yer *** into any LS and axe em , If they are honest they will tell ya its the same stuff . And to answer yer ? NO there aint any Dif.
What yer sayin in yer example werks BOTH ways

Dudes Im tired of this shat . Yall Kiss my azz :rolleyes:

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 02:39 AM
Walk yer *** into any LS and axe em , If they are honest they will tell ya its the same stuff.

You can't do that, because LS's in Oklahoma aren't allowed to sell the same beer that you can buy in c-stores. If they are, then they are breaking the law and risking their license.

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 02:49 AM
You can't do that, because LS's in Oklahoma aren't allowed to sell the same beer that you can buy in c-stores. If they are, then they are breaking the law and risking their license.

See my other post about how smart ya are :rolleyes:
DUDE they CAN and DO sell the same ****in BEER

Now Listen REAL close and I promise to type real slow so ya can FOLLOW
THe LS cant sell BEER of ANY ****IN KIND COLD . Ya unnerstand that ?

They can and do however sell the SAME beer HOT that the CS right next door sells COLD :rolleyes:
This shat aint rocket science
Go away Ya starting to Bother me .:rolleyes:
Ive made the stuff, and Ive talked to the Dudes at the Brewery
So KMA

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 02:50 AM

Does it HURT to be this STUPID ?:pop:

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 03:31 AM
See my other post about how smart ya are :rolleyes:
DUDE they CAN and DO sell the same ****in BEER

Now Listen REAL close and I promise to type real slow so ya can FOLLOW
THe LS cant sell BEER of ANY ****IN KIND COLD . Ya unnerstand that ?

They can and do however sell the SAME beer HOT that the CS right next door sells COLD :rolleyes:
This shat aint rocket science
Go away Ya starting to Bother me .:rolleyes:
Ive made the stuff, and Ive talked to the Dudes at the Brewery
So KMA

So you're sayin they changed the law, izzat right? In case you missed it I said:

Unless they changed the law since I moved to TN, you couldn't sell ANY beer in a liquor store that was available in a c-store or supermarket.

So they changed the law, right? If that's the case then yeah, it would be the same stuff avaiable in both places. But when I lived in Oklahoma, it was illegal to sell the same stuff hot in a LS that was available cold in the CS. But if they've changed the law then you would be right, as I qualified in my original post.

olevetonahill
10/19/2010, 03:33 AM
I refuse to continue having a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person :rolleyes:

The LAW SAID COLDPay tention :rolleyes:

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 03:36 AM
I refuse to continue having a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person :rolleyes:

The LAW SAID COLDPay tention :rolleyes:
No...the law said ANY beer that was avaiable in a CS couldn't be sold hot or cold in a LS. If they changed the law, fine...they changed it. $#!+, it ain't like I'm tellin' ya yer shine sucks!

SicEmBaylor
10/19/2010, 04:36 AM
No...the law said ANY beer that was avaiable in a CS couldn't be sold hot or cold in a LS. If they changed the law, fine...they changed it. $#!+, it ain't like I'm tellin' ya yer shine sucks!

Listen numbnuts, even if you were right that a LS can't sell the same kind of beer as a convenience store or grocery store then think about that for a minute...

Convenience and grocery stores sell the watered down 3.2 stuff, BUT they can sell it cold. Now, if they are selling the 3.2 stuff cold and as you say a LS can't sell the same thing then that leaves the LS selling room temperature 6 point beer that you can buy in any other state...which is exactly what Vet is saying. Now, if you are wrong, then why would they want to sell 3.2 beer when they can sell full 6 point beer?

Logic isn't your strong suit, is it?

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 06:09 AM
Listen numbnuts, even if you were right that a LS can't sell the same kind of beer as a convenience store or grocery store then think about that for a minute...

Convenience and grocery stores sell the watered down 3.2 stuff, BUT they can sell it cold. Now, if they are selling the 3.2 stuff cold and as you say a LS can't sell the same thing then that leaves the LS selling room temperature 6 point beer that you can buy in any other state...which is exactly what Vet is saying. Now, if you are wrong, then why would they want to sell 3.2 beer when they can sell full 6 point beer?

Logic isn't your strong suit, is it?

You're missing MY point...

A LS can sell all of the warm 6-point they want. But UNLESS THE LAW HAS CHANGED, it can't be wearing a Bud or Bud Light or Miller Lite or _________(insert whatever mass-produced beer is sold cold in the CS) label. And yes, that warm Fat Tire sold in Oklahoma will be the same as any cold Fat Tire sold in any other state.

The original difference I had with what Vet said was that I understood him to say that the cold 6-point that you buy in texass is exactly the same beer as the cold 3.2 that you buy in Oklahoma. It isn't. It all starts out the same way, but it isn't the same when it gets to the store because there is additional processing that lowers the ABW of the beer down to Oklahoma's (and Colorado's and Minnesota's and Utah's and Kansas') legal limits.

How do brewers make 3.2 beer?
"What they'll generally do is add water to the brewing process," said Gatza of the Brewers Association. "That would be the most common way to do it."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/12/a-beer-by-any-other-name/

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 07:24 AM

Hear him!

yermom
10/19/2010, 08:19 AM
You're missing MY point...

A LS can sell all of the warm 6-point they want. But UNLESS THE LAW HAS CHANGED, it can't be wearing a Bud or Bud Light or Miller Lite or _________(insert whatever mass-produced beer is sold cold in the CS) label. And yes, that warm Fat Tire sold in Oklahoma will be the same as any cold Fat Tire sold in any other state.

The original difference I had with what Vet said was that I understood him to say that the cold 6-point that you buy in texass is exactly the same beer as the cold 3.2 that you buy in Oklahoma. It isn't. It all starts out the same way, but it isn't the same when it gets to the store because there is additional processing that lowers the ABW of the beer down to Oklahoma's (and Colorado's and Minnesota's and Utah's and Kansas') legal limits.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/12/a-beer-by-any-other-name/

in the past, liquor stores didn't sell things you could buy in the grocery stores, i had recently seen PBR in both places though. i guess it's gotten popular enough with the hipsters. i have no idea if they are the same though.

and where can you buy warm Fat Tire in Oklahoma?

Lott's Bandana
10/19/2010, 08:27 AM
You can't buy Budweiser in a liquor store in Oklahoma. Hot, cold or otherwise.

edit: (you CAN buy hi-point beer cold at a military class-6 store, but the domestics are still 3.2%)

Lott's Bandana
10/19/2010, 08:35 AM
and where can you buy warm Fat Tire in Oklahoma?

Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado, New Mexico

:mad:

Mississippi Sooner
10/19/2010, 08:46 AM
I love a good beer fight.

pphilfran
10/19/2010, 10:00 AM
There ain't no difference...

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 10:06 AM
You cannot buy a BMC (Bud Miller Coors) product in a liquor store in Oklahoma.

Thanks so much to "conservative" politicians like Randy Brogdon who once again struck down a measure that would allow the people to vote on whether or not we can make our own minds up on where to purchase beer and wine. Free market conservative my ***.

OhU1
10/19/2010, 10:07 AM
There ain't no difference...

True, Bud, Coors, and other such generic styled light lagers all suck whether sold as "6 point", 3.2, warm or cold as dry ice.

texaspokieokie
10/19/2010, 10:13 AM
taxed by alcohol content. if it's supposed to be 6 point, then the tax will be higher.

Jboozer
10/19/2010, 10:18 AM
I worked for bud light. It's the same both places. The difference is strong beer, which has a volume of greater than 4.6%. In Texas some strong beer can be sold "cold" but nit the stuff greater than 6%, which is the good stuff. The way it works out is generally the beer in TX that is sold cold is around 4.6 while in ok the strongest that cam be sold is 4.2 (3.2 by weight).

Mississippi Sooner
10/19/2010, 10:23 AM
Here in Mississippi you can buy pretty much anything cold in the convenience stores or even at Walmart, including those that say 6% abv right on the can such as 411 or Natty Light Ice. Yeah, you can catch a buzz quicker with them, but most of them taste sorta like motor oil.

picasso
10/19/2010, 10:43 AM

All I drink are imports.

tator
10/19/2010, 10:44 AM
You all seem like angry drunks

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 02:44 PM
Straight from the brewer's keyboard:

3.2 is measured in alcohol by weight. Supposed 6.0 is measured in alcohol by volume. If converted to the same scale, 3.2% by weight is 4.0% by volume.

If you make a beer that starts at 1.043 and finishes at 1.012, that is 3.2% by weight and 4.0% by volume.

At COORS, 3.2% beer is made to a slightly different recipe. Both the 3.2% and the "normal" (which is packaged at 3.6%) are brewed high gravity and then "bended" (de-aerated water added inline to achieve an exact amount of alcohol)As I said before, this guy used to be a brewmaster for Coors. I'll believe him. And I was apparently wrong - the 3.2 doesn't begin life the same as the 6-point after all. Slightly different high-gravity recipes that are watered prior to packaging.

starclassic tama
10/19/2010, 02:49 PM
you people are making this way too complicated. if regular ole' budweiser in texas is 5.0%, and in oklahoma, 3.2%, then there is 36% more alcohol in each can of budweiser in texas. it doesn't matter if you measure it by weight or volume, it's the same amount of alcohol. PERCENTAGE IS JUST A RATIO. VOLUME AND WEIGHT ARE NOT THE SAME THING, THUS YOU GET DIFFERENT NUMBERS IF YOU MEASURE BY VOLUME OR WEIGHT.

The
10/19/2010, 02:51 PM
Straight from the brewer's keyboard:

As I said before, this guy used to be a brewmaster for Coors. I'll believe him.

Coors sucks. :texan:

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 02:54 PM
Here in Mississippi you can buy pretty much anything cold in the convenience stores or even at Walmart, including those that say 6% abv right on the can such as 411 or Natty Light Ice. Yeah, you can catch a buzz quicker with them, but most of them taste sorta like motor oil.

Spot on. All these punklets who equate high alcohol quantity with high beer quality are rank amateurs who DESERVE 3.2 beer.

Ike
10/19/2010, 02:58 PM
Yer friend is full of **** . Call the # i just posted . Beer is ****in BEER . Dont matter what ****in State ya buy it in. Yes ya Dumasses . If ya want the real HIGH point **** ya got to Buy it hot . for the average Beer it dont make a **** .:rolleyes:

For the average beer, yes, it doesn't make much difference whether it's 3.2 or something else. Or whether it's sold hot or cold.

But for the good beers, the hot or cold issue does make a difference. Heat will dramatically lower the shelf life of a good beer. So when you walk into a liquor store to buy a good beer, you are probably OK if you get one that hasn't been on the shelf long. Not so much if it's been sitting on the shelf for 2 months or more. And it's hard to tell how long anything has been sitting there.

NormanPride
10/19/2010, 03:30 PM
All I know is that none of the beer in the grocery store is any good.

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 03:39 PM
Coors sucks. :texan:

I agree. But some of the small-batch stuff they do is pretty tasty!

prrriiide
10/19/2010, 03:50 PM
For the average beer, yes, it doesn't make much difference whether it's 3.2 or something else. Or whether it's sold hot or cold.

But for the good beers, the hot or cold issue does make a difference. Heat will dramatically lower the shelf life of a good beer. So when you walk into a liquor store to buy a good beer, you are probably OK if you get one that hasn't been on the shelf long. Not so much if it's been sitting on the shelf for 2 months or more. And it's hard to tell how long anything has been sitting there.

Heat can do some damage, for sure. But what's even worse is light. Clear and green bottles don't block out the UV rays that release off-flavors in the beer (skunking). And the biggest irony is that the worst light for beer to be exposed to for any length of time is fluorescent, like in grocery stores and beer coolers. I generally avoid clear or green bottles like the plague. If I really feel the need for a corona, I buy a 12-pack box from as far back in the shelf as possible. But it's still a crap-shoot as to whether it'll be skunked or not.

And speaking of shelf life...you know why European beers in green bottles usually taste like schidt (aside from being light-struck)? It's because they were bottled, then put in a warehouse, then loaded on a tras-Atlantic freighter, then put in another warehouse, then shipped to the distributor by truck, then placed in a 3rd warehouse, then taken to the stores where they sit on the shelves (under fluorescent lights) until you either buy them or the distributor pulls them and writes them off (because people aren't' willing to spend $8-$10 on a 6-pack of possum ****). If you drink it fresh in Europe, it doesn't even remotely resemble the flavor we get in the green bottles here in the US.

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah light and time are the biggest things that will change a beers flavor. Changing temps not so much.

SicEmBaylor
10/19/2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah light and time are the biggest things that will change a beers flavor. Changing temps not so much.

You can go from beer that has been at room temperature to cold just fine, but I'm a firm believer that if you let it go back to room temperature and then chill it again then it tastes like ****.

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 04:55 PM
Zima tastes like ****, anyway, my friend.

Boarder
10/19/2010, 04:59 PM
If I really feel the need for a corona, I buy a 12-pack box from as far back in the shelf as possible. But it's still a crap-shoot as to whether it'll be skunked or not.

They make non-skunky Corona? :confused:

JohnnyMack
10/19/2010, 05:02 PM
You can go from beer that has been at room temperature to cold just fine, but I'm a firm believer that if you let it go back to room temperature and then chill it again then it tastes like ****.

Nope.

Lott's Bandana
10/19/2010, 05:19 PM
I toured the new COOP brewery in OKC last night.

They make some nice suds.

silverwheels
10/19/2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I like COOP as well.

Mississippi Sooner
10/19/2010, 06:10 PM
The funny thing about this beer debate to me is that it usually seems to begin in college. It usually revolves around the idea that if you make the trip to Texas or Missouri or wherever, you can get your hands on some beer that'll get you buzzed quicker.

To me, I always just thought "hell, if catching a buzz is your goal, you can get there a lot quicker with whiskey or tequila, and it'll probably cost you a lot less."

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 06:44 PM
The funny thing about this beer debate to me is that it usually seems to begin in college. It usually revolves around the idea that if you make the trip to Texas or Missouri or wherever, you can get your hands on some beer that'll get you buzzed quicker.

To me, I always just thought "hell, if catching a buzz is your goal, you can get there a lot quicker with whiskey or tequila, and it'll probably cost you a lot less."

That, and the idea that 3.2 beer is not "real" beer or that it's weak. As I think the scientific posters (including OleVet :eek: ) have shown, 3.2 by weight is basically 4.0 by volume, and the typical American lager and lots of other beer is hardly more than that.

The real difference in OK beer buying is that only the mass producers make 3.2 beer, so if you want anything better, you have to go to the LS - to buy it warm and only at specified times and days. Living in New Orleans where a vast assortment of all kinds of beer can be bought anywhere at any time, that takes some getting used to.

Mississippi Sooner
10/19/2010, 07:30 PM
That, and the idea that 3.2 beer is not "real" beer or that it's weak. As I think the scientific posters (including OleVet :eek: ) have shown, 3.2 by weight is basically 4.0 by volume, and the typical American lager and lots of other beer is hardly more than that.

The real difference in OK beer buying is that only the mass producers make 3.2 beer, so if you want anything better, you have to go to the LS - to buy it warm and only at specified times and days. Living in New Orleans where a vast assortment of all kinds of beer can be bought anywhere at any time, that takes some getting used to.

Yeah, I've appreciated being able to buy some brands cold that might be tough to find even warm in a liquor store in Oklahoma. I'm not talking about the European brands, but smaller brands like Sierra Nevada, etc.

I've tasted a few that I liked, although in the end I'm still not into paying six or seven dollars for a six pack when I can get an eighteen pack or a case for about fourteen.

TUSooner
10/19/2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I've appreciated being able to buy some brands cold that might be tough to find even warm in a liquor store in Oklahoma. I'm not talking about the European brands, but smaller brands like Sierra Nevada, etc.

I've tasted a few that I liked, although in the end I'm still not into paying six or seven dollars for a six pack when I can get an eighteen pack or a case for about fourteen.

I love beer of all kinds. But what's in my fridge right now? 1 bottle of LA 31 microbrew, which I find too hoppy, and a 6-pack of Miller High Life pints (which will be gone before I hit the LA 31)!

yermom
10/19/2010, 08:53 PM
Nope.

New Belgium seems to disagree

OklahomaTuba
10/20/2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much to "conservative" politicians like Randy Brogdon who once again struck down a measure that would allow the people to vote on whether or not we can make our own minds up on where to purchase beer and wine. Free market conservative my ***.

I tend to blame the folks that came up with our dumbass liquor laws to begin with.

Democrats, every one.

yermom
10/20/2010, 10:51 AM
not the ones that keep them in place?

Ike
10/20/2010, 10:53 AM

I have seen some good semi-smaller brands in some liquor stores here (like Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, etc...), but yeah, you have to know which liquor stores to go to for those.

Still, none of them carry the beer I love the bestest :(

OklahomaTuba
10/20/2010, 10:54 AM
We have a Donk as Gov and a Donk as Lt Gov.

And what have they about this most pressing of issues?

OklahomaTuba
10/20/2010, 10:56 AM
not the ones that keep them in place?I'd love to see it reformed. The last proposal was horrible though. It basically gave Walmart control of the liquor distribution in this state, which is why it didn't make it out of committee thank God.

The
10/20/2010, 10:56 AM
We have a Donk as Gov and a Donk as Lt Gov.

And what have they about this most pressing of issues?

I would venture that it has more to do with the wholesalers and Church lobbies more than political affiliation.

OklahomaTuba
10/20/2010, 10:57 AM
I would venture that it has more to do with the wholesalers and Church lobbies more than political affiliation.More the wholesalers. The LS lobby here is very powerful, and they don't want to lose the wine and spirits monopoly they have. I think the Church opposition to this is marginal, at best.

yermom
10/20/2010, 11:05 AM
I'd love to see it reformed. The last proposal was horrible though. It basically gave Walmart control of the liquor distribution in this state, which is why it didn't make it out of committee thank God.

i don't know how that would be avoided anyway

JohnnyMack
10/20/2010, 12:56 PM
More the wholesalers. The LS lobby here is very powerful, and they don't want to lose the wine and spirits monopoly they have. I think the Church opposition to this is marginal, at best.

So you're saying Brogdon is on the take from the liquor lobby?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/20/2010, 01:01 PM
Brogdon is a tool.

And his sister has respiratory problems.