PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Announces 'Hoop Jam' for Students

bri
10/18/2010, 06:29 PM
Via SoonerSports.com (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101810aae.html)

With the 2010-11 college basketball season drawing near, Jeff Capel's OU team announced it will hold a Hoops Jam on Tuesday, Oct. 26 at 8 p.m. at the Huston Huffman Fitness Center on the OU campus. The free event, open only to currently enrolled OU students, will feature five $1,000 tuition prizes.

The evening will start at 7:45 with OU mascots Boomer and Sooner entertaining students with a dunk show. The basketball team will be introduced at 8 and Coach Capel will address the crowd.

The first event of the night will be a bracket-style pairs shooting contest, featuring 12 teams of one student and one student-athlete. Each pair will have 30 seconds to make as many 3-pointers as possible. Two pairs will advance to a championship shoot-off, with the student of the championship team winning an iPad.

A dunk contest featuring select members of the team will follow. A panel of judges, to include Capel and his coaching staff, will determine the winning student-athlete.

Capel will then randomly draw numbers for five lucky students to each win $1,000 in tuition prizes. The winning students will have $1,000 transferred to their bursar account prior to the spring 2011 semester. This promotion is open to all currently enrolled OU students in attendance at the Hoops Jam event. Winning students must be present to win. If a winning number is called and not claimed within two minutes, a replacement number will be announced.

The event will conclude with the team signing autographs and hanging out with the student body.

Students will be able to sign up for men's basketball season tickets throughout the Hoops Jam just in time for the Nov. 2 exhibition game. Student season tickets cost $140, but when OU students use their tickets they get them for free. Just by attending games (or having someone else use the season ticket), students can qualify for the men's' basketball student season ticket rebate program. When students attend 15 or more home games, the $140 will be credited to their bursar account. If they attend at least 13 games, $50 will be credited to their bursar account.
OU students will need to use their student I.D. to enter the Huston Huffman Fitness Center for the Hoop Jam and will be positioned around the south courts.

For more information regarding the event, students can call the OU Athletics Marketing Office at (405) 325-7811.

To purchase student season tickets, call the Athletics Ticket Office at (405) 325-2424 or (800) 456-4668, or click here (http://www.soonersports.com/tickets/student_ticket_information.html).

The Sooners host Northern State Nov. 2 in a 7 p.m. exhibition game and will open regular season play Nov. 12 with a home game against Coppin State, also at 7 p.m.

Serge Ibaka
10/18/2010, 06:53 PM
I will go to this, but probably just for the tuition money.

Wish me luck!

But seriously...is the administration terribly afraid that students won't show up to the games anymore? This makes me feel a little sad.

But then again, I'm part of the problem: I barely attended any games that Blake Griffin wasn't playing in.

bri
10/18/2010, 10:49 PM
I think you answered your own question.

setem
10/18/2010, 11:02 PM
What if you graduate this semester and then win the $1000?

bri
10/19/2010, 01:25 AM
*jordanshrug* Couldn't tell ya. I'm not affiliated with this beyond just being a Capelable trying to get the word out.

badger
10/19/2010, 08:43 AM
What if you graduate this semester and then when the $1000?

Think of all of the former students who still have outstanding bursar accounts at OU. I bet that's why the release made it clear that it was for "currently enrolled" students, or they might get some alums back to take care of part of the bursar :D

If you're one of the students that pays everything off prior to graduation, then... well, you probably don't need a $1,000 bursar credit :)

Mad Dog Madsen
10/19/2010, 10:23 AM
Ahh, when all else fails... ask badj! :D

badger
10/19/2010, 11:06 AM
Billy Bursar was the devil for everyone back when I was in college, even those that had scholarships. For one person I knew, it was Billy Bursar threatening to cancel their enrollment if they didn't get their bill under a certain amount. For another, it was threatening to cancel phone service if they didn't pay their 22-cent dorm phone bill. Then, there was the girl begging the dorm leadership staff (tee hee, boren's 'president's council') not to charge her bursar for the overdue movie rental and just let her pay cash or her parents were going to kill her. Or, for the national merits/university scholarship whorns out there, it was realizing that getting the authentic OU notebooks, pens and other school supplies crap was not a good idea because you were bound to have more Billy Bursar expenses by the end of the semester and you shouldn't waste your credit in August.

Regardless of whether you need the $1k credit though, please go support this team if you can. Even if you're angry at Capel for the way things turned out last year, there's a lot of good kids in the program now. It is wonderful that the athletic department is offering a full credit back on season tickets for those going to most games or getting others to go. Those bright red seats are remarkably noticeable on TV when they're empty :(

setem
10/19/2010, 04:58 PM
What I mean badger is what if you graduate this winter and are all paid up? Do they give you the $1000?

fwsooner22
10/19/2010, 05:21 PM
I have been a strong and unwavering supporter of coach BUT I don't think anymore criticism of the fandom is needed from him. Yes, we need to show up but it's his job to put a product on the floor and that hasn't happened. I will continue my support and expect the same from him.

Students need to be there period its not even an entire evening you are giving up. Heck I used to walk from Walker Tower and later my apartment to LNC cuz I didn't want to lose my parking place.

badger
10/19/2010, 05:45 PM
What I mean badger is what if you graduate this winter and are all paid up? Do they give you the $1000?

Hehehe... you're still probably hoping that OU will refund all those unused meal plan meals and meal points, aren't you?

When in doubt, adhere to this unwritten rule about OU and money - The University of Oklahoma does NOT refund money!

StoopTroup
10/19/2010, 05:52 PM
No doubt. I have yet to see any School ever re-imburse someone for dough...

badger
10/19/2010, 05:57 PM
In all seriousness, I wouldn't put it past OU to credit your bursar account $1,000 and camp on it till used... possibly charging a fee for having it on record each year (possibly each semester), maybe pretend that you're a student and charge you some fees for the Huff and whatever college/program (likely both!) you were last enrolled in, maybe accidentally enroll you in a class when you're not looking... till it is all gone.

setem
10/19/2010, 07:11 PM
I figure if you are on financial aid and you have more money coming than you need for school you will get your $1000. So say you are being awarded 8k but your tuition is only 5k - 1k you won in the Hoop Jam, you get back 4k instead of the original 3k. That could be a good deal for the po folk like me at OU!

yankee
10/21/2010, 02:25 PM
I believe the soonermen are joining the Capelables for this upcoming bball season. or something like that. either way, i'll be there fa sho.

Serge Ibaka
10/21/2010, 02:30 PM
I believe the soonermen are joining the Capelables for this upcoming bball season. or something like that. either way, i'll be there fa sho.

Soonermen are all BYX guys, right?

Good for them. That's a good idea.

badger
10/21/2010, 02:32 PM

Awesome. Have them show up for womens games too. Both teams will need tons of fan support this season.

yankee
10/21/2010, 03:43 PM
Soonermen are all BYX guys, right?

Good for them. That's a good idea.

yup.

Awesome. Have them show up for womens games too. Both teams will need tons of fan support this season.

i hope we do it for women's too! i plan on going to some women's games whether or not i'm affiliated with some group. :)

bri
10/21/2010, 05:13 PM
There's been some talk about perhaps trying to get the Capelables to a women's game or two, but nothing official yet. Join the Capelables' Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=76854615261) to be in the loop this year.

bri
10/26/2010, 03:13 PM
Reminder: It's tonight. Anyone interested in becoming a Capelable is invited to hang around after the shenanigans & attend our meeting.

OUmillenium
11/1/2010, 10:32 AM
So how was it?

bri
11/1/2010, 03:17 PM
Pretty fun. Had a decent turnout, estimated between 250-300. Cam Clark won the dunk contest, but Tyler Neal & Cade Davis threw down some nice jams too. This is probably gonna become a regular thing, which I like since we don't do a Midnight Madness event anymore.