PDA

View Full Version : My question about the BCS....

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 02:03 PM
and computer rankings....

How in the HELL is UTAH getting all the love they are receiving?

They have not played one team with a winning record....let me repeat that. Their toughest game to date was against Pittsuburgh (3-3) or Iowa St (3-4), Pitt happens to have the best record of any team they have faced so far!

Pitt 3-3
UNLV 1-6
New Mexico 0-6
San Jose St 1-6
Iowa St 3-4
Wyoming 2-5

Next week they get Colorado State who has a very impressive record of 2-5.

After that, they get 4 straight weeks against teams with winning records at this point in the season:
Air Force 5-2
TCU 7-0
Notre Dame 4-3
San Diego St 4-2

Then they finish the season with BYU which is currently 2-5.

Summary:
Opponents played to date combined record: 10-30
Future Opponents to date combined record: 24-17
Overall opponents combined record to date: 34-47

Pathetic!

Cornfed
10/18/2010, 02:11 PM
Because they played Pitt and they are one of the love childs in the east.

tommieharris91
10/18/2010, 02:17 PM
They've yet to lose. That's it.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 02:19 PM
That has to be the only reason!

another complaint...

look at Oregon's schedule so far...yea, they have a tough one remaining, but they have only played one good team in Stanford. Their opponents combined record overall at this time is 35-39. Opponents played: 13-24. Future: 22-15.

Yet it seems that everyone is looking at OU and asking how in the hell are they #1 in the BCS? The computers must be messed up and crap...just read the Mark "toolbag" Schlabach's latest story on ESPiN!!!

I guess we are putting a kink into their opinions so they must slam our program. One that has been the most successful since 1999!

btb916
10/18/2010, 02:22 PM
That has to be the only reason!

another complaint...

look at Oregon's schedule so far...yea, they have a tough one remaining, but they have only played one good team in Stanford. Their opponents combined record overall at this time is 35-39. Opponents played: 13-24. Future: 22-15.

Yet it seems that everyone is looking at OU and asking how in the hell are they #1 in the BCS? The computers must be messed up and crap...just real the Mark "toolbag" Schlabach's latest story on ESPiN!!!

I guess we are putting a kink into their opinions so they must slam our program. One that has been the most successful since 1999!

Just wait until next week when we beat mizzou on the road. Everyone will change their tune, including schlabach. "Looks like the computers were right after all!"

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2010, 02:27 PM
Just wait until next week when we beat mizzou on the road. Everyone will change their tune, including schlabach. "Looks like the computers were right after all!"

^This. Too early to bitch - especially since we're in the poll position and *everyone* has us in the top 3-4. Hard to call them haters.

The
Mormons wrote the source code.

StoopTroup
Nobody in this Great Country of ours wants to see us back playing in the title game again. It pisses them off. Also...if we get the hatred, that can turn to our favor when we win out. Hatred might inspire folks to tune into the MNC and get the media to sign on for another Big Game Bob loss. That would be the only positive they would have at that point and all we as a Team and Fan Base need to do is relish the fact that we are hated and then bring that crystal ball home and put the Big Game Bob mouth breathers back in mothballs in their parents garage.

TUSooner
10/18/2010, 02:32 PM
Nobody in this Great Country of ours wants to see us back playing in the title game again. It pisses them off. Also...if we get the hatred that can turn to our favor when we win out. Hatred might inspire folks to tune into the MNC and get the media to sign on for another Big Game Bob loss. That would be the only positive they would have at that point and all we as a Team and Fan Base need to do is relish the fact that we are hated and then bring that crystal ball home and put the Big Game Bob mouth breathers back in mothballs in their parents garage.

There is some likelihood that I might agree with this, if I actually understood it.

:D

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 02:42 PM

No they won't.

They will start pointing out the fact that Missouri has only played two teams with winning records (Miami, OH and San Diego St). And try to discredit the Missouri Tigers.

They have yet done anything other than slam OU all year long. It all started right after the USU game. The only talking vagina ESPiN has that isn't slamming OU is Herby...and that is because he picked OU to lose to OSU in the BCS TG.

We win big, Misery wasnt that good of a team. We win closer than expected, OU is overrated.

No win situation...that is why I dont really care what the tools of the media are saying. This OU team may not be a finished product yet, but it damn sure is a very deserving team in where they are ranked.

StoopTroup
10/18/2010, 02:43 PM
There is some likelihood that I might agree with this, if I actually understood it.

:D

maybe it's my punctuation. Just saying that the media doesn't want to see us in the Title game again...and for that matter probably not even a BCS Bowl game. They make more dough having a media darling playing.

I know they will all sit there and say nice things about Boise and TCU but they don't want them there either. Now...they might like it if OU, Boise and/or TCU all won out....but they'd rather see us play them in a lesser Bowl and put a higher ranked human poll team that brings more interest in the MNC game.

Money baby!

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 02:45 PM
^This. Too early to bitch - especially since we're in the poll position and *everyone* has us in the top 3-4. Hard to call them haters.

Really? Is it really hard to call them haters?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/onthemark106/week-6

The other four computer rankings used in the BCS formula rate Oklahoma as the No. 1 team in the land.

Those computers were apparently rebooting when the Sooners struggled to beat teams like Utah State, Air Force and Cincinnati earlier this season.

How do the computer rankings stack up against an eye test as we hit college football's stretch run to the Jan. 10 BCS National Championship Game in Glendale, Ariz.?

The only reason we moved inside the top 5 is because of attrition. I was very surprised we moved to #3 ahead of TCU!

When OSU and Neb lost, I figured we would just move up the two spots to #4.

Of all the undefeated teams in the country, not one has matched what OU has done so far.

btb916
10/18/2010, 02:45 PM
No they won't.

They will start pointing out the fact that Missouri has only played two teams with winning records (Miami, OH and San Diego St). And try to discredit the Missouri Tigers.

They have yet done anything other than slam OU all year long. It all started right after the USU game. The only talking vagina ESPiN has that isn't slamming OU is Herby...and that is because he picked OU to lose to OSU in the BCS TG.

We win big, Misery wasnt that good of a team. We win closer than expected, OU is overrated.

No win situation...that is why I dont really care what the tools of the media are saying. This OU team may not be a finished product yet, but it damn sure is a very deserving team in where they are ranked.

Well I disagree. I think if we win convincingly then many in the media will change their tune. In any case, I'm happy the media is giving us no respect. I would rather that than everyone thinking too highly of us.

I do agree that we deserve the #1 ranking though. I think we will show that next weekend.

StoopTroup
10/18/2010, 02:50 PM
Well I disagree. I think if we win convincingly then many in the media will change their tune. In any case, I'm happy the media is giving us no respect. I would rather that than everyone thinking too highly of us.

I do agree that we deserve the #1 ranking though. I think we will show that next weekend.

I'd like to think you're right but since Bob continues to give them the cold shoulder...they won't more than likely.

Cornfed
10/18/2010, 02:52 PM
What if we beat Mizzou on the road by a feild goal?

Leroy Lizard
10/18/2010, 02:53 PM
Next week they get Colorado State who has a very impressive record of 2-5.

After that, they get 4 straight weeks against teams with winning records at this point in the season:
Air Force 5-2
TCU 7-0
Notre Dame 4-3
San Diego St 4-2

If they can get through those teams without a loss, then they desere the high ranking. If they don't, none of this matters.

As long as OU keeps winning, it won't have to worry where Utah is ranked.

Cornfed
10/18/2010, 02:53 PM
Dual post deleted.

agoo758
10/18/2010, 02:59 PM
What is "right and wrong" about the computers? The computers take a certain amount of data, run them through mathematical equations, and average them out to get an objective analysis, not some washout from ESPN with an agenda to push.

It really annoys me how people debate whether the "computers get it right or not", when do the computers EVER get it wrong? Does the computer make mathematical errors that I am not aware of? Just because ESPN doesn't agree with it, doesn't make it wrong.

agoo758
10/18/2010, 03:00 PM
double post, sorry.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2010, 03:06 PM
We did struggle in those games as I recall - do you dispute that? The BCS tries to balance 2 aspects: 1) accomplishment 2) power rating. We are pristine in category 1) because we haven't lost and we played some decent teams. To judge 2), you have to look at strengths/weaknesses and project how that lines up against other teams. That's when you look at struggling against lesser teams and if there are real issues. After a full slate of 12/13 games, the 2 aspects should meld together and show a fuller picture. They can be pretty different at this stage of the game.

I saw the ISU game as redemption for the USU game. Similar level teams as far as talent and both at home. In week one, we are flat and out of sync and make enough mistakes that they have the ball down 7 when we seal it with an INT. Last week, we dominate and have the game out of reach by mid-2nd qtr. This week, we get to redeem the Cincy game. Mizzou is probably better than Cincy but both a big step up from USU/ISU and played on the road. IF we show we're much better now and can handle that situation, there are not many more questions to answer other than staying power.

And no, I don't consider media types putting us at #3 as haters, they are just questioning #1 - it's not like they are saying we don't belong in the conversation.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2010, 03:19 PM
We did struggle in those games as I recall - do you dispute that? The BCS tries to balance 2 aspects: 1) accomplishment 2) power rating. We are pristine in category 1) because we haven't lost and we played some decent teams. To judge 2), you have to look at strengths/weaknesses and project how that lines up against other teams. That's when you look at struggling against lesser teams and if there are real issues. After a full slate of 12/13 games, the 2 aspects should meld together and show a fuller picture. They can be pretty different at this stage of the game.

I saw the ISU game as redemption for the USU game. Similar level teams as far as talent and both at home. In week one, we are flat and out of sync and make enough mistakes that they have the ball down 7 when we seal it with an INT. Last week, we dominate and have the game out of reach by mid-2nd qtr. This week, we get to redeem the Cincy game. Mizzou is probably better than Cincy but both a big step up from USU/ISU and played on the road. IF we show we're much better now and can handle that situation, there are not many more questions to answer other than staying power.

And no, I don't consider media types putting us at #3 as haters, they are just questioning #1 - it's not like they are saying we don't belong in the conversation.

Did you read the article?

I personally do not think OU should be #1 right now...however, they are just as deserving as the rest.

These talking vaginas from ESPiN are trying to make it seem like OU has done absolutely nothing to be ranked #1 in the BCS.

Oh well, ill just go back to what I have been saying....just keep winning!

Cornfed
10/18/2010, 03:26 PM
I dont care if we win by 50 or 1...
JUST WIN !!!!

Leroy Lizard
10/18/2010, 03:35 PM
What is "right and wrong" about the computers? The computers take a certain amount of data, run them through mathematical equations, and average them out to get an objective analysis, not some washout from ESPN with an agenda to push.

It really annoys me how people debate whether the "computers get it right or not", when do the computers EVER get it wrong? Does the computer make mathematical errors that I am not aware of? Just because ESPN doesn't agree with it, doesn't make it wrong.

Even the mathematicians are making the same mistake. They keep talking in terms of accuracy. The concept of accuracy does not apply here, as there is no standard for which to compare.

Precision would be better, because then you could see how the various computers agree.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2010, 03:36 PM
Did you read the article?

I personally do not think OU should be #1 right now...however, they are just as deserving as the rest.

These talking vaginas from ESPiN are trying to make it seem like OU has done absolutely nothing to be ranked #1 in the BCS.

Oh well, ill just go back to what I have been saying....just keep winning!

I guess I just don't react the same way. If someone has OU ranked #3, I'm not hearing anything close to "done absolutely nothing". Personally, I like to hear opinions from these guys who are not wearing crimson glasses. Not so much what they say about OU since I follow that closely, but their impressions about other teams since I don't get to see them as much. But pointing out issues we had against some lesser teams does give them some cred, IMO, because I saw that too. So it allows me to give them some cred when they talk about other teams. I give Herbie some respect for calling Iowa the best team in the big10. He is going by what he has seen on the field and not by what they have accomplished because they don't have signature wins. He is going out on a limb and predicting how he thinks it will play out and that is more interesting to me than just looking at their current record since I can look that up myself.