PDA

View Full Version : Makes Me Nervous

CrimsonRez
10/17/2010, 09:54 PM
I love being ranked #1 don't get me wrong, but after we played Utah State, Travis Lewis was quoted as saying something along the lines of "we thought we were on top of the world ranked #7 and we came out flat"....so what are they gonna think being #1? thoughts?

Cornfed
10/17/2010, 09:56 PM
Lets hope they remember that feeliong after week one and come out like they did against FSU.

soonerchk
10/17/2010, 09:58 PM
Well, this is what Travis Lewis said last night, per the Tulsa World:

"Put somebody else up there," Lewis said. "We haven't deserved it yet. Put somebody else. Put Boise in there. ... We need to string some good weeks together and show the nation what we're all about."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20101017_92_B9_CUTLIN850270

DenverSooner751
10/17/2010, 09:59 PM
I love being ranked #1 don't get me wrong, but after we played Utah State, Travis Lewis was quoted as saying something along the lines of "we thought we were on top of the world ranked #7 and we came out flat"....so what are they gonna think being #1? thoughts?

I think your point is valid and I partially agree with your logic. However, I would say this group has had to mature a lot since that game. Beating your nemesis.....coming out of some really close games (and realizing how fortunate you were to make it out with the W) and crushing a pre-season Heisman candidate (Ponder) can do a lot for one's maturity and to humble those top of the world feelings.

I remember early in the season how much everybody thought we were toast in the secondary...............they're improved quite a bit since then.

Cautious optimism from me..........none the less, tomorrow morning will feel good in the office. =)

ouwasp
10/17/2010, 10:09 PM
These Sooners need to fiercely embrace their DESTINY.

That means fighting like a mama bear against all threats...

That's you, mizzou. More to follow.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 10:10 PM
Insert the Finch!

swardboy
10/17/2010, 10:11 PM
It's your DESTINY, young Skywalker.

Crucifax Autumn
10/17/2010, 10:19 PM
We're gonna blow out everyone we play from here on out. Iowa State was a close game compared to what we're gonna do to everyone else. I know this: the "Delete Me" thread is getting longer every day!

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2010, 10:55 PM
Well, this is what Travis Lewis said last night, per the Tulsa World:

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20101017_92_B9_CUTLIN850270

That's a very impressive quote on part of Travis. I certainly prefer players that have their feet grounded in reality.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 10:57 PM
I'd pay for you to interview him. Matter of fact I bet we could raise money for charity doing it. You'd have to pay for any medical care though.

BlownGP
10/18/2010, 12:09 AM
Yup I feel the same way
I mean, this is great but man do we love F it up sometimes..hahah

I think though with what this team went through last year, how we finished and then the close games so far. I dont feel like I did in years past, were we would be losing and have no idea what to do to win.

CrimsonRez
10/18/2010, 12:12 AM
I agree with all of the above posts, all valid points. I believe that this team has what all of our other "great" teams didn't have and that is close game experience. This team knows how to fight when the going gets tough, and knows how to win down the stretch. They don't always have that foot on the throat attitude, but its nice to know that they will develop that killer instinct but still have that fight to the finish attitude.

StoopTroup
10/18/2010, 12:18 AM
They don't always have that foot on the throat attitude, but its nice to know that they will develop that killer instinct but still have that fight to the finish attitude.

I think the first signs of that was in the Sun Bowl last year.

CrimsonRez
10/18/2010, 12:22 AM
I think the first signs of that was in the Sun Bowl last year.

agreed, I think they finally found out that when their backs are against the wall there IS a way to get out of it. Like I said above, the great teams we have had in the past couple years were so used to blowing people out of the shed that when a team finally put up a fight, they didn't know what the hell to do.

UncleFester
10/18/2010, 12:56 AM
I'm as big an OU fan as the next guy, but let's be realistic: this team isn't proving its mettle with winning close games. It's benefited by two opponents fumbling punts in the final minutes to let us escape (especially vs. Cincinnati). I don't consider it Sooner Magic when they put out late-game grease fires just in the nick of time.

I think they're getting better each week, and it's not hard to see them rolling through the rest of the regular season. But I've got a nagging feeling this team is still too young for a MNC run, and at some point is going to get tripped up. Hope I'm wrong.

CrimsonRez
10/18/2010, 01:00 AM
I'm as big an OU fan as the next guy, but let's be realistic: this team isn't proving its mettle with winning close games. It's benefited by two opponents fumbling punts in the final minutes to let us escape (especially vs. Cincinnati). I don't consider it Sooner Magic when they put out late-game grease fires just in the nick of time.

I think they're getting better each week, and it's not hard to see them rolling through the rest of the regular season. But I've got a nagging feeling this team is still too young for a MNC run, and at some point is going to get tripped up. Hope I'm wrong.

So...Winchester running his *** down there as fast as he could and getting in that dudes face without causing a penalty doesn't mean anything? To me that means that these kids have the intestinal fortitude to go out when its all on the line and give it all they got.

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2010, 01:27 AM
Lame.

UncleFester
10/18/2010, 02:03 AM
So...Winchester running his *** down there as fast as he could and getting in that dudes face without causing a penalty doesn't mean anything? To me that means that these kids have the intestinal fortitude to go out when its all on the line and give it all they got.

On the A. Williams fumble, it was a fair catch that got muffed. Winchester wasn't in his face at all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODPphlog3L0)

I just don't buy it's grit and attitude that's carrying OU. It's great, burgeoning talent along with coaching and a few breaks that we were sorely missing last year.

Leroy Lizard
10/18/2010, 02:17 AM
I'd pay for you to interview him. Matter of fact I bet we could raise money for charity doing it. You'd have to pay for any medical care though.

WTF? :confused:

AlbqSooner
10/18/2010, 06:26 AM
In 2000, we beat Texas and I felt like we were better than I had given us credit for. I was still hesitant, perhaps afraid as a fan,to believe that we could make it through what is now known as Red October unscathed. I sense among our fans at present a similar unwillingness to accept that this team is a team of Championship caliber; a team of destiny. They have grown in all aspects of the game from where they were in August. They have, as has been said, close game experience. Do any of us really doubt that we have the talent to get through this season's remaining games?

Sit back and enjoy the ride fellow Sooner fans. This is going to be fun.

RacerX
10/18/2010, 06:38 AM
some people like to predict the demise of the team and they'll be jumping up and down yelling "I told you so" if OU drops one.

they're missing out on the fun.

w0lfe
10/18/2010, 09:01 AM
Well maybe it will make them go out with a new intensity at practice and come game time, really make them play with a sense of urgency

soonerchk
10/18/2010, 10:25 AM

First time was a fluke. Second time was definitely Sooner Magic.

I have no idea if we're good enough to win it all, but I can promise you that I am going to enjoy the ride instead of sitting around waiting for the bottom to fall out.

stoopified
10/18/2010, 10:55 AM
There are enough SO CALLED EXPERTS out there bashing OU at #1 that all Bob has to is mention those soundbytes,articles,and quotes to keep this team motivated.

delhalew
10/18/2010, 11:14 AM
I will refrain from all the hand wringing and just know that any given year OU can put together a championship season.

3rdgensooner
10/18/2010, 11:25 AM
I'll take #1 and give a nod to Coach Stoops and Joe C. for a job well done.

MojoRisen
10/18/2010, 11:34 AM
We are clearly getting better, and not for nothing but shutting out ISU was a big deal.

Mizzou is now the biggest game of the year, and we need to prepare like that and I think we will. Mizzou is impressive so far

Kdog238481
10/18/2010, 11:41 AM
I have to agree with the nervous feeling. I would of been fine with a number 3 ranking. Hope they don't let it get to their heads instead I hope they show the nation why we're ranked #1! Boomer