PDA

View Full Version : Broyles vs. Blackmon

meoveryouxinfinity
10/17/2010, 09:03 AM
Pokes are obsessed with this topic.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=105332

I'll take Broyles simply because he's done it for 2 years + 6 weeks and has shown to be the best player even against good defenses and even when he's the ONLY good receiver. Blackmon... 6 weeks.

Boomer.....
10/17/2010, 09:10 AM
Blackmon is a star. I would probably still take Broyles though.

kevpks
10/17/2010, 09:11 AM
I can't make this comparison because I haven't seen enough of Blackmon. My cable package doesn't carry Fox Sports Irrelevant.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/17/2010, 09:16 AM
Blackmon is a star. I would probably still take Broyles though.

Yep glad to see two Oklahoma kids lighting it up.

OUbasketball4life
10/17/2010, 09:27 AM
I would take Broyles for the simple fact he has been constently good since he has been at OU. Blackmon is starting to come into his own which is good for him but as of right now I'm taking Broyles.

TahoeSOONER
10/17/2010, 10:58 AM
Two different types of WR. Broyles will play in the Slot in the NFL and Blackmon will play on the outside as a typical big WR should. I'd take Broyles right now though, polished.

NormanPride
10/17/2010, 11:01 AM
I can catch jump balls too when the DBs are 10 yards off of me. Call me when he's running routes other than the fly.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 11:02 AM
Blackmon had some nice catches yesterday but the Broyles EZ TD catch last night was better than the Blackmon EZ Catch IMO.

Venables will have that guy on his hitlist come 11/27.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 11:02 AM
I can catch jump balls too when the DBs are 10 yards off of me. Call me when he's running routes other than the fly.

Yep.

ThinMan
10/17/2010, 11:03 AM
If Ryan Broyles had gone to OSU after all, no one would know who Blackmon was.

sooneron
10/17/2010, 11:06 AM
I can't make this comparison because I haven't seen enough of Blackmon. My cable package doesn't carry Fox Sports Irrelevant.

This ^

ThinMan
10/17/2010, 11:13 AM
We played against Blackmon last year. He struggled in an offense that Dez Bryant thrived in. It's not like we haven't seen enough of him.

I'm happy for him that the change in offense has helped him, but it doesn't make me think he is suddenly all world.

sooneron
10/17/2010, 11:15 AM
HE'S A GOOD KID!!!! BROYLES IS A CHEATIN GOONER!!!![hairGel]

Kray
10/17/2010, 11:20 AM
Really, nobody rational could put Blackmon ahead of Broyles at this moment. Royles has a history of performance against top competition. Blackmon doesn't. That doesn't mean Blackmon isn't a stud - just that Broyles has proven far more than he has.

GottaHavePride
10/17/2010, 12:05 PM

Heh. Nice.

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2010, 12:38 PM
Someone made a point in comparing Broyles to Clayton. Well, how about it?

oudavid1
10/17/2010, 01:09 PM
They havnt played 1, not 1, top 30 defensive yet.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 01:19 PM
Someone made a point in comparing Broyles to Clayton. Well, how about it?

Broyles is still playing and Clayton is injured reserve. Broyles is in College and Clayton is a Pro now.

Collier11
10/17/2010, 01:45 PM
Diff types of WRs, cant really compare

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2010, 01:53 PM
Broyles fits this offense better..Blackmon fits what osu wants to do better...

bigfatjerk
10/17/2010, 01:54 PM
I think next week against Nebraska's pass defense we'll see OSU go back to earth. I think OSU is a good football team and will win around 8 or 9 games this year which is really good for OSU football. But as someone else posted they haven't played any good pass defenses so far. And I don't think they have any good receivers to complement Blackmon. Just a year ago they were trying to hype of Anium as their next best WR and what's happened to him since then?

Broyles has been one of the top wideouts in the Big 12 for 2 full years now.

Collier11
10/17/2010, 02:02 PM
Thats the thing that OSU has had issues with since Rashaun, they have one really good WR but we can take them away. Broyles cant be taken away cus our supporting cast is a good compliment

Cornfed
10/17/2010, 02:09 PM
They both have their strengths.

I would like to see us have the ability to stretch the feild 80 yards like OSWho does, but competition will prove if their opponents were the reason for that.

But to kill someone in the flats I'll take Broyles and a move.

goingoneight
10/17/2010, 02:28 PM
The only thing these two have in common is they make circus catches. OP is rfeally reaching on this one. I know, and acknowledge Blackmon has come on strong for them, but Broyles is a catalyst for the Sooner offense. He can play RB, the slot, the outside and either side of the field. He takes one-yard screens and wiggles his way to BIG gains, he burns people in a foot race, he jukes people out of their shoes and can get open on just about anyone. Even when he's not open, he still makes a play. Four catches in the last two games are evidence of this. Aggy fans live and die by their precious little stat sheets, but if they're made to actually watch a game, they'll know there's on abvious difference between not only the type of players these guys are, but also the importance of what it is they do. Oh, and call me when Blackmon becomes relevant as a punt returnman.

All that said, he is as stated above, a big man like they had in Bryant and Bowman. He needs to be the focal point of OUr best athlete when we play them given how they play so many receivers.

ThinMan
10/17/2010, 02:34 PM
Here's what Blackmon did against top defenses ....

vs. Texas --- 4 catches 38 yards 1 TD
vs. Oklahoma --- 1 catch 3 yards
vs. Mississippi --- 4 catches 45 yards.

Meh.

CowboyMRW
10/17/2010, 02:57 PM
For Blackmon, it's hard to look at last year's stat sheet for him since he was a freshman and put in the whole offseason working on him getting better. It also didn't help that our starting qb couldn't throw it past 5 yards. Broyles has been consistent for yall and one of the top wideouts in the nation. But we all know that neither team would trade one for the other.

Cornfed
10/17/2010, 03:02 PM
But we all know that neither team would trade one for the other.

But to have both would be fun.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/17/2010, 03:03 PM
Mr. Carter, you have the green light to drop your bomb on this overrated clown.

Okie35
10/17/2010, 03:05 PM
Two different types of WR. Broyles will play in the Slot in the NFL and Blackmon will play on the outside as a typical big WR should. I'd take Broyles right now though, polished.

This and Broyles can do more.

goingoneight
10/17/2010, 03:06 PM
I would always welcome a playmaker, no matter what color he wears. These threads are an every-year thing though. Rashaun Woods versus Mark Clayton. Mike Hamilton versus Adrian Peterson. Dantrell Savage versus Adrian Peterson. Adarius Bowman versus Malcom Kelly. Bobby Reid versus Sam Bradford. The NFL has had somethng to say about all of those cases. Stats don't always tell the tale, yet that seems to be all people ever have to argue against OU's players.

Blackmon HAS emerged. Make no mistake. I've seen the guy make some great plays that are more than just routine catches. He's a fighter for the jump ball, which is big if you're talking about needing a clutch play. Problem for comparison is so is Broyles, so it's a wash there. They play two different roles in their offenses. Also, no offense to the good fans that post on here, but I don't think OSU has seen a defense that can key in and take Blackmon out of the game like Texas almost did (keyword: "almost"), and the question for OSU in general is how well the team responds to that.

CowboyMRW
10/17/2010, 03:16 PM
I would always welcome a playmaker, no matter what color he wears. These threads are an every-year thing though. Rashaun Woods versus Mark Clayton. Mike Hamilton versus Adrian Peterson. Dantrell Savage versus Adrian Peterson. Adarius Bowman versus Malcom Kelly. Bobby Reid versus Sam Bradford. The NFL has had somethng to say about all of those cases. Stats don't always tell the tale, yet that seems to be all people ever have to argue against OU's players.

Blackmon HAS emerged. Make no mistake. I've seen the guy make some great plays that are more than just routine catches. He's a fighter for the jump ball, which is big if you're talking about needing a clutch play. Problem for comparison is so is Broyles, so it's a wash there. They play two different roles in their offenses. Also, no offense to the good fans that post on here, but I don't think OSU has seen a defense that can key in and take Blackmon out of the game like Texas almost did (keyword: "almost"), and the question for OSU in general is how well the team responds to that.

These threads are what makes college football so fun though. Out of that list I would still take our WR's and you get the QB and RB. The NFL is a whole different animal though. Look at the college game. People love fast quarterbacks. When was the last time a fast quarterback made it in the NFL.
That being, I've seen both play and both are really good. Broyles has consistency going, but to be consistent, you've got to start somewhere, and this is where Blackmon is starting