PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here follow boxing on a regular basis?

mgsooner
10/16/2010, 11:04 AM
It's worth a shot.

November and December are gonna be big time.

Penguin
10/16/2010, 11:38 AM
Boxing Day is in December, eh?

reflector
10/16/2010, 12:15 PM
I have followed the Super Six tournament that Showtime has been putting on. It has had some hurdles. I still think it is one of coolest things that boxing has ever done though. Showtime is having a 4 man Bantamweight tournament in December, or at least starting in December. I think that will be really neat.

When I was little I loved boxing. Once I saw my first UFC, UFC 3, I became more of an MMA fan. I still like boxing though. I do think boxing will be doing some really neat stuff over the next few months.

royalfan5
10/16/2010, 01:46 PM
I do. I have Showtime for the fights. I'm hoping the cruiserweight tournament comes off too, and we can see it in America. A lot of fun guys to watch in that division.

soonerinkaty
10/16/2010, 02:50 PM
I'm training for the Golden Gloves

mgsooner
10/17/2010, 12:09 PM
I do. I have Showtime for the fights. I'm hoping the cruiserweight tournament comes off too, and we can see it in America. A lot of fun guys to watch in that division.

Yeah I had to order HBO and Showtime strictly for all of the boxing events they show. If you have both then November and December are absolutely loaded. It starts with Juan Manuel Lopez against R. Marquez on Showtime the first weekend in November. That should be a big time action fight.

It's nice to see some people that actually follow the sport. Not exactly a lot of people to talk boxing with in Oklahoma, or anywhere for that matter.

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2010, 12:52 PM
Boxing is dead. People like Boom Boom Mancini and Sugar Overrated Leonard were household names. I doubt most people could name a single boxer today.

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 01:10 PM
Shannon Briggs, Vitali Klitschko, Wilfredo Vazquez, Ivan Hernandez....

Thing is...it might be dead as far as how the media used to market it and how Promoters used to manipulate the boxers they abused...but it's still out there. Being a Pugilist is still one of the purest fighting sports but money really ruined it IMO.

It got to the point that nobody wanted to watch an event if Don King was involved. Same thing will happen to MMA eventually.

I don't know any local folks who want anything to do with boxing...that's for sure.

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2010, 05:43 PM

I've heard of Klitschko. Is he still champ?

Never heard of the others.

royalfan5
10/17/2010, 06:30 PM
I've heard of Klitschko. Is he still champ?

Never heard of the others.

Both Klitschko brothers hold belts and are widely regarded as 1-2 in the heavyweight division.

Collier11
10/17/2010, 07:11 PM
Boxing is dead. People like Boom Boom Mancini and Sugar Overrated Leonard were household names. I doubt most people could name a single boxer today.

Thing is...it might be dead as far as how the media used to market it and how Promoters used to manipulate the boxers they abused...

Its dead based on how it is ran. How many champions for each weight class can their be? It has become a PPV sport only, almost. It needs to be unified into one federation with one belt and mandated fights, then it would be good again.

mgsooner
10/17/2010, 10:10 PM

As much as I'd like to disagree I can't. There are some promising young American fighters but most people in this country could not name any of them. I will say that the Ring Magazine rankings are a glimpse of how the rankings SHOULD work. I am glad that ESPN has taken to only recognizing the Ring rankings and none of the BS "alphabet" belts. Despite all of the BS there are still some good fights being made. If you have any interest I would suggest you check out these fights for "free" on premium cable:

November 6 - Juan Manuel Lopez v Rafael Marquez (Showtime)

November 20 - Sergio Martinez v Paul Williams (HBO)

November 27 - Juan Manuel Marquez v Michael Katsidis (HBO)

November 27 - Carl Froch v Arthur Abraham (Showtime)

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 10:31 PM
Its dead based on how it is ran. How many champions for each weight class can their be? It has become a PPV sport only, almost. It needs to be unified into one federation with one belt and mandated fights, then it would be good again.

I won't disagree.

I see James "Quick" Tillis from time to time in Tulsa. Haven't heard a thing about Tommy Morrison in a long time. I like watching those guys help put us on the map of the Boxing World. Tommy's little fall from grace was tough though.

GKeeper316
10/18/2010, 03:10 AM
boxing's been dead since tyson went to prison. i havnt watched a single fight since the last tyson/holyfield.

Oldnslo
10/18/2010, 11:16 AM
I used to be a big boxing fan. Hosted parties around showing fights. Then, I discovered MMA.

Now, when I see a boxing match, half the time, I'm thinking, "he should throw a knee... oh, wait, it's boxing".

Boxing seems a bit... boring to me now.

stoopified
10/18/2010, 11:18 AM
NOPE,NOT FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS.

Boomer.....
10/18/2010, 12:49 PM
I used to be a big boxing fan. Hosted parties around showing fights. Then, I discovered MMA.

Now, when I see a boxing match, half the time, I'm thinking, "he should throw a knee... oh, wait, it's boxing".

I am the same way. When a guy gets knocked down I keep wondering why the other guy isn't jumping on him and pummeling him.

StoopTroup
10/18/2010, 12:52 PM

Same here OnS. The Mike Tyson years were about the last time I threw one of those PPV everybody bring some food and boose over parties.

Collier11
10/18/2010, 12:59 PM
Tyson vs Lennox Lewis was the last boxing PPV that I bought, I would gladly by Mayweather vs. Pac Man if it ever happens. That will probably be the last one though

mgsooner
10/18/2010, 01:17 PM

Well, not to turn this into a boxing vs. MMA contest (I hate those), but that's one of the reasons I like boxing better than MMA. To me there's just something about two men in a ring and not being able to use anything other than their fists...no wrestling, no submissions, etc. But to each their own. If you guys have any interest I would suggest you check out one of the fights I listed above. Yes there may not be as much "action" as an MMA fight, and yes the fights last longer than an MMA fight, but those 4 fights should all be pretty fan friendly.