PDA

View Full Version : From the school that brought you Broyles and Madu...

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2010, 07:39 AM
...I give you 64 - 7 and undefeated.

Norman - 2010

09-03 vs Norman North W, 24-7
09-10 vs Moore W, 13-7
09-17 at Del City W, 41-6
09-24 at Sapulpa W, 38-7
09-30 vs Shawnee W, 50-20
10-08 at Southmoore W, 34-28
10-15 vs Putnam West W, 64-7

They keep this up and they'll play Boise St. in a BCS Bowl.

OUmillenium
10/16/2010, 08:13 AM
Yawn...they might hold the Jenks JV to 50.

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 08:45 AM
I just hope Norman and Jenks have plenty of future Sooners!

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2010, 09:26 AM
Jenks and union would beat them!

Hell Yukon and mustang would beat them!

swardboy
10/16/2010, 09:46 AM
I'm truly ignorant about this: Who is arguably the greatest Sooner football player from Norman?

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2010, 09:50 AM
Good question. Broyles?

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 10:20 AM
Too early to say for sure right?

In any event, add Union to the list I cited earlier and hope they all provide us with some great homegrown Sooners. Some of our greatest this century have been OK products and I'd like to see that continue so texass can suck it. Give us more Oklahoma Heisman winners and I can laugh even louder in the faces of the Lids of this world.

Boomer.....
10/16/2010, 10:22 AM
I'm truly ignorant about this: Who is arguably the greatest Sooner football player from Norman?

The "Dream"?

Boomer.....
10/16/2010, 10:23 AM
Jenks and union would beat them!

Hell Yukon and mustang would beat them!

Broken Arrow would roll them.

Lott's Bandana
10/17/2010, 02:59 PM

Their next 3 games:

BA
Muskogee
Jenks

I figured this was the best time to get this thread out.

MikeInNorman
10/17/2010, 04:32 PM
Donovan Roberts is the real deal. He will be offered by OU. They are running him 30 times a game, and he gets 175 every week. Zach Long is getting better by the week, but the passing game is secondary to Roberts.

Playing BA and Jenks is a serious step up in competition. Most people don't realize that Norman High is now one of the smaller schools in 6A, about 1700 kids. Broken Arrow has nearly 5000 kids, and Jenks is widely recognized as Oklahoma's premier football factory (besides also being twice the size of NHS). Norman is a solid team for its size, and has talent at the skill positions. No way they have close to the depth and consistent talent of the giant schools, but I guess they will play the games anyway.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/17/2010, 04:49 PM

OK. Who's the greatest Sooner from Jenks? Probably Rocky Calmus.

KeJuan Jones, Larry Derryberry (TE from the 80's)?

okienole3
10/17/2010, 04:51 PM

At this point, probably Broyles. Before
that, Tyrell Peters.

tommieharris91
10/17/2010, 05:22 PM

That happens this Friday.

Cornfed
10/17/2010, 05:26 PM
We produced Curtis Loftin, but not much else....lol

Collier11
10/17/2010, 05:28 PM
...I give you 64 - 7 and undefeated.

Norman - 2010

09-03 vs Norman North W, 24-7
09-10 vs Moore W, 13-7
09-17 at Del City W, 41-6
09-24 at Sapulpa W, 38-7
09-30 vs Shawnee W, 50-20
10-08 at Southmoore W, 34-28
10-15 vs Putnam West W, 64-7

They keep this up and they'll play Boise St. in a BCS Bowl.

Norman North is not good this year
Moore is winless
Del City, Sapulpa, and Shawnee are all 2-5
Southmoore is decent but without their QB
PCW is 1-6 and just won their 1st game after 27 straight losses.

Norman High is good and im happy for them but they will likely get exposes very soon

texas bandman
10/17/2010, 05:28 PM
Norman sucks...at least that's what we thought when I went to Moore High School in the mid 70s.:D

IslandSooner
10/17/2010, 05:45 PM
There is 4A teams in the state that would beat Norman..........

Collier11
10/17/2010, 05:48 PM
There is 4A teams in the state that would beat Norman..........

Doubtful.

There are some 5A teams that could but I dont see any teams in 4A that could beat a good 6A team

OUmillenium
10/18/2010, 09:38 AM
Some good Jenks to Sooner Footballers off the top of my head...
Rocky Calmus
Cory Callens
Kejuan Jones
Matt McCoy - hey ask Mizzou
Chase Beeler(Now at Stanford)
Gabe Lynn - wonder how he's doin

sooneron
10/18/2010, 09:43 AM
Norman sucks...at least that's what we thought when I went to Moore High School in the mid 70s.:D

[NHS Tiger]Hey hey, that's OK, you're going to work for my dad one day!!! [NHS TIger]

jumperstop
10/18/2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't follow high school football since I was in high school. If it wasn't Jenks or Union every year might be kinda fun to watch, or maybe not. Just seems weak compared to college and pro.

aj44mc
10/18/2010, 09:47 AM
Is BA a threat this year with Archie?

Lott's Bandana
10/18/2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah, it pains me a bit that this once-bitter rivalry vanished with the addition of the new high schools in Norman and Moore. Norman North? meh.

tommieharris91
10/18/2010, 10:32 AM
Is BA a threat this year with Archie?

BA had a 21-7 lead at one one point when they played Union, but Union scored like 47 unanswered.

stoopified
10/18/2010, 10:42 AM
I haven't follow high school football since I was in high school. If it wasn't Jenks or Union every year might be kinda fun to watch, or maybe not. Just seems weak compared to college and pro.True dat

sooneron
10/18/2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it pains me a bit that this once-bitter rivalry vanished with the addition of the new high schools in Norman and Moore. Norman North? meh.

This^

King Crimson
10/18/2010, 10:53 AM
NHS, baby.

Norman North=Longfellow.

sooneron
10/18/2010, 10:54 AM
yep tru daT!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/18/2010, 11:30 AM
The "Dream"?

Blevens, Jay Jimmerson, and J.T. Thatcher were about the only ones of note I could dig up.

I think Broyles owns this title hands down. But then, it's clearly down to him and Clayton as to the best receiver ever at OU. If he wants to stick around for his senior year it will be all over, at least statistically.

King Crimson
10/18/2010, 11:38 AM
Thatcher is a freak in 00. he scores like a thousand TD's. special teams, oskies, it's all about JT.

Lott's Bandana
10/18/2010, 11:47 AM
Blevens, Jay Jimmerson, and J.T. Thatcher were about the only ones of note I could dig up.

I think Broyles owns this title hands down. But then, it's clearly down to him and Clayton as to the best receiver ever at OU. If he wants to stick around for his senior year it will be all over, at least statistically.

Billy Brooks
Eddie Hinton
Tinker Owens
Keith Jackson

These guys are on that list for consideration.

Collier11
10/18/2010, 12:26 PM
This year, I dont know if anyone can stay within 14-21 of Jenks

Boomer.....
10/18/2010, 12:46 PM

Don't forget about Patrick Fletcher.

:D

soonerboy_odanorth
10/18/2010, 12:53 PM
Billy Brooks
Eddie Hinton
Tinker Owens
Keith Jackson

These guys are on that list for consideration.

No question those are three very talented WR's. Not sure why you threw our best TE ever in there. I don't think there is any argument on that.

Otherwise the other three clearly didn't have the opportunities at OU so a little tougher to measure. So let's look at NFL careers:

Eddie Hinton was tops with 111 rec - 1822 yds
Brooks next with 96 rec - 1720 yds
Owens last with 60 rec - 785 yds.

Clayton to date in the NFL - 257 rec - 3422 yds

You could make an argument that the passing proficiency wasn't there even in the NFL for a fair comparison for those players' eras. But one player blows that up:

Tommy McDonald - 495 rec - 8,410 yds

So actually Tommy McDonald, NFL HOF, who played primarily at Flanker for his NFL career, could be OU's greatest receiver ever, except that he played HB at OU.

I'll say Clayton until (if) Broyles surpasses him.

For the record at OU:

Clayton 221 rec - 3241 yds
Broyles (so far) 196 rec - 2507 yds

Lott's Bandana
10/18/2010, 01:18 PM
No question those are three very talented WR's. Not sure why you threw our best TE ever in there. I don't think there is any argument on that.

Because I took your term "receiver" literally and not that you were actually meaning Wide Receiver. I suppose Tinker was actually a Split End, as he was listed at the time.

I enjoyed the NFL stats and agree that our previous systems didn't allow the proper showcasing of these guys talents.

Eddie Hinton and Billy Brooks both had the same kind of howthe****didhedothat!!!!11 that Broyles has and I thought it was apropos to mention them.

Tommy = RB at OU
Broyles = RB at NHS

OhU1
10/18/2010, 01:23 PM
NHS, baby.

Norman North=Longfellow.

Longfellow and Norman High alum here. :cool:

Broyles would have to be the best player to come out of Norman. No one else is close that I can think of. And to think Broyles was an OSU commit!

Mobits
10/18/2010, 01:43 PM
My h.s. alma mater, Euless Trinity, has a stud who I believe has committed to OU. Brandon Carter is his name. Trinity is the #1 ranked high school football team in the nation, and Carter is arguably the best player on the team. Definitely fun to watch him play. He is a WR, but I've heard rumors OU plans on making him a DB... can anyone confirm?

yankee
10/18/2010, 01:51 PM
My h.s. alma mater, Euless Trinity, has a stud who I believe has committed to OU. Brandon Carter is his name. Trinity is the #1 ranked high school football team in the nation, and Carter is arguably the best player on the team. Definitely fun to watch him play. He is a WR, but I've heard rumors OU plans on making him a DB... can anyone confirm?

brandon carter's my boy...rivals had broyles listed as a DB, and he's turned out to be a pretty decent receiver. i think carter is in the same mold. carter just has "it". i hope he ends up as a WR at OU...although i hear he's keeping his options open, and i think he was at an A&M game not too recently.

Mobits
10/18/2010, 02:05 PM
brandon carter's my boy...rivals had broyles listed as a DB, and he's turned out to be a pretty decent receiver. i think carter is in the same mold. carter just has "it". i hope he ends up as a WR at OU...although i hear he's keeping his options open, and i think he was at an A&M game not too recently.

This article makes it sound like he's going to OU...

http://recruitingblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/euless-trinitys-brandon-carter-orally-co.html

captain_surly
10/18/2010, 02:18 PM
OK. Who's the greatest Sooner from Jenks? Probably Rocky Calmus.

KeJuan Jones, Larry Derryberry (TE from the 80's)?

I would vote Anthony Phillips. Four time all Big VIII. He's on the murial in the Switzer Center, and that's a pretty small group.

MikeInNorman
10/22/2010, 10:10 AM

Well, not quite. BA won at home against Norman 38-25 in a game much closer than the score. Norman had two pick-sixes against Bradley, and had the ball three times inside the BA 15 yard-line only to come away with 3 points total. One possession came up empty after Donovan Roberts fumbled on the 7 (only his second fumble of the year) and the other on a fake field goal from the 15 on 4th and 5 which came up a yard short. Otherwise, Norman moved the ball well all night.

The teams were fairly evenly matched except in one respect, depth. BA's overwhelming advantage in the number of students/football players wore Norman down as the second half went on. Several of Norman's best players play both ways, while BA has no two-way players. The difference became obvious later in the game.

That being said, Norman played a great game and proved they can play with at least one of the three East side mega-school football factories. If they can beat Muskogee at home next week, they will avoid a road game at Union as their first round playoff game.

Good game all around.

Lott's Bandana
10/30/2010, 02:18 PM
70-3 over Muskogee at Harve Collins.

Jenks is next.

BanjoCharley
10/30/2010, 02:35 PM

Dean Blevins

ThinMan
10/30/2010, 02:36 PM
They would do terrible if they had to play against Oklahoma or Texas schools.
;)

MikeInNorman
11/4/2010, 04:45 PM
Tigers have a chance against Jenks, but realistically, they need to play well, be competitive, and get out of there without serious injuries. Most likely playoff scenario is playing Enid on the road in first playoff game. Could also play Bartlesville or Owasso, depending on outcome of Friday's games.

Roberts now leads 6A in rushing with 1500+ yards.Rumor has it that he will get an OU offer if he has a good summer.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 05:32 PM
If Norman stays within 21 id be shocked, Normans only shot is to come out and hit Jenks in the mouth and see if Jenks backs down, I just dont see it though.

cyclonesooner
11/4/2010, 05:39 PM
After leaving oklahoma and coaching h.s. football in Texas for 25 years, what I don't understand is, "How do you put a school with 1700 enrollment into the same classification with one with nearly 5,000 ?

Collier11
11/4/2010, 05:40 PM
cus if we didnt, we would have about 5 teams in 6A

Collier11
11/5/2010, 10:36 PM
If Norman stays within 21 id be shocked, Normans only shot is to come out and hit Jenks in the mouth and see if Jenks backs down, I just dont see it though.

Jenks by 24

OUmillenium
11/5/2010, 11:08 PM
I forgot about this thread. Watched the 2nd half on tv. Newborn means lots of extra stay at home time. Good receiver #9 for Norman and good running back, too.

MikeInNorman
11/6/2010, 11:19 AM
I was at the game, and it's odd to say that the game seemed a lot closer than the score. Jenks is no question better than Norman, but honestly they were less physically impresive than I expected. The thing that is very impressive about Jenks is that they look extremely well coached, and have by far the best execution and crispness I have ever seen by a high school team. Heck they execute better than many college teams I've seen! They also play pretty dirty, lots of late hits and extra curricular BS, but the refs didn't seem too concerned about it. Maybe that's just East side football.

In the first half, Jenks had a couple of big plays and a back-breaking kickoff return, but otherwise did nothing on offense, I think they had 2 or 3 first downs total. Second half, they had a couple of impressive drives for TDs, unlike the first half. Norman moved the ball pretty well all night, but came up empty handed on a couple of occasions. Donovan Roberts had 190.

Anyway, Norman had their chances and didn't cash in, and Jenks did. That's the difference between a good team and a not quite as good team, and it proved out. Jenks' execution makes a huge difference, as their playcallers can have confidence that what they call in response to the opponent during the game will work. Just a tremendous advantage, especially in high school. Really impressive.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 01:07 PM
Dean Blevins

It's been a long time since we've seen Bangjo Charlie peeking in

Welcome