PDA

View Full Version : Censored 11 Cartoons to be released on DVD

MR2-Sooner86
10/15/2010, 07:21 PM
Looney Tunes' Infamous Racist Cartoons to be Released in 2011 (http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/12/looney-tunes-cartoons-racist/)

Should films with antiquated, offensive treatment of race be seen? Or should they be banned, kept inside a vault forever or destroyed? This is a debate that often comes up when films like 'Birth of a Nation,' 'Song of the South' and 'Triumph of the Will' are discussed for potential screenings and/or home video release. But how about 'Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs'? Or 'Jungle Jitters'? Those are two of the "Censored Eleven," a group of infamous Warner Bros. animated shorts -- mostly of the 'Merrie Melodies' franchise, though one is a Chuck Jones-helmed 'Looney Tunes' cartoon -- that have been officially withheld from syndication by United Artists since 1968. Now, after forty-two years, these films are set for release sometime in 2011 through the Warner Archive, according to ToonZone, who learned the news this week at the New York Comic-Con.

All eleven films can currently be seen via bootleg videos and on YouTube, including the most well-known shorts featuring Bugs Bunny. Eight of them were also screened earlier this year in association with the TCM Classic Film Festival, partly as a test to see if they'd be worthy of a DVD release. Like other controversial racially offensive works, they have long been deemed historically significant. However, it's doubtful that, despite the collection being Warner's "most requested title," it will be heavily marketed, especially as a collection to be enjoyed by kids.

The films, which were directed by animation legends like Friz Freleng, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Jones, are unmistakably important and worth a curious look, as are other non-"Censored Eleven" titles from Warner Bros., Disney, Fleischer, Hanna-Barbera and other works recognized by the Historical Preservation Library of Banned Cartoons. Even if this collection is a success, though, we're still unlikely to see a home video release for 'Song of the South,' which Disney CEO Robert Iger continues to claim is just too offensive.

Here are the 11 cartoons that will be released. If you're old enough, like my dad, you can remember seeing these on Saturday mornings before 1968 when they were banned from being on air.

Hittin' the Trail for Hallelujah Land
Sunday Go to Meetin' Time
Clean Pastures
Uncle Tom's Bungalow
Jungle Jitters
The Isle of Pingo Pongo
All This and Rabbit Stew
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs
Tin Pan Alley Cats
Angel Puss
Goldilocks and the Jivin' Bears

If you've never seen them, here are two samples of the censored 11.

CGHcmx7-CSo
rXFSsKFrCgY&feature

Yeah, I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out :pop:

GottaHavePride
10/15/2010, 07:50 PM
I swear I've seen the Rabbit Stew one on tv, and I was only born in 1980.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2010, 07:56 PM
They compared Song of the South with Triumph of the Will?

Good God.

picasso
10/15/2010, 09:00 PM
There's an Our Gang episode where the kids all imagine what they would buy if they were rich.
Stymie said he'd buy a watermelon.

MR2-Sooner86
10/16/2010, 12:24 AM
I hope they throw in some of the World War 2 ones as well. I love Tokio Jokie and You're a Sap Mr. Jap.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2010, 01:28 AM
I swear I've seen the Rabbit Stew one on tv, and I was only born in 1980.

I was thinking the same, or one very similar to that.

yermom
10/16/2010, 01:32 AM
They compared Song of the South with Triumph of the Will?

Good God.

we just watched part of Triumph of the Will in my film class the other day

i've been wanting to see Song of the South again lately. i saw it in the theater as a tyke (80's)

pretending these never happened is lame. i'm sure suppression of them are for different reasons though. i think Disney is far more worried about being associated with that movie than they are worried about any message it actually sends

SicEmBaylor
10/16/2010, 01:46 AM
we just watched part of Triumph of the Will in my film class the other day

i've been wanting to see Song of the South again lately. i saw it in the theater as a tyke (80's)

pretending these never happened is lame. i'm sure suppression of them are for different reasons though. i think Disney is far more worried about being associated with that movie than they are worried about any message it actually sends

Exactly right. They're gutless ball-less sacks of ****.

yermom
10/16/2010, 01:49 AM
i'm downloading the DVD rip now...

the comments on thepiratebay are pretty funny:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3520925/Song_Of_The_South_-_BANNED_in_US____hi-quality_DVD_rip

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 05:28 AM
i'm downloading the DVD rip now...

the comments on thepiratebay are pretty funny:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3520925/Song_Of_The_South_-_BANNED_in_US____hi-quality_DVD_rip

LOL

I think it's funny how the most racist comments are the ones with the worst grammar and spelling.

AlbqSooner
10/16/2010, 06:08 AM
So in Rabbit Stew, why does the black kid have such big feet?

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 06:33 AM
Well, you know what they say...

CrimsonJim
10/16/2010, 06:38 AM
Shame on you, Crux. ;)

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 08:52 AM
Hell, if I was a chick I'd be looking for a brotha with size 18s.

tulsaoilerfan
10/16/2010, 09:12 AM
Well, you know what they say...

Yup, people with big feet wear really big shoes

SanJoaquinSooner
10/16/2010, 09:23 AM
Exactly right. They're gutless ball-less sacks of ****.
Sic em, I doubt balls or guts figure into the decision. Disney's decisions are driven by what's best for the shareholders, as it should be.

soonerinkaty
10/16/2010, 09:37 AM
Those were highly entertaining.

Mixer!
10/17/2010, 11:41 AM
What was the title of the cartoon that had Bugs Bunny vs. the Japanese army in WW2?

StoopTroup
10/17/2010, 12:01 PM
Hell, if I was a chick I'd be looking for a brotha with size 18s.

I bet you'd walk funny most of the time and have to use alot of chap stick

MR2-Sooner86
10/17/2010, 01:00 PM
What was the title of the cartoon that had Bugs Bunny vs. the Japanese army in WW2?

I think it was "You're a Sap Mr. Jap" but I could be wrong.

SCOUT
10/17/2010, 06:21 PM
So it is racist when the black guy can't outsmart the rabbit, but it is A-OK for Elmer Fudd to be dumber than a bag of hammers?

setem
10/17/2010, 06:23 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z123/CsvtJon/racist.gif

Mixer!
10/18/2010, 01:01 AM
I think it was "You're a Sap Mr. Jap" but I could be wrong.

No, that was Popeye.

http://romanoarchives.altervista.org/page5/files/page5_57.jpg

OUmillenium
10/18/2010, 01:00 PM
I hope they throw in some of the World War 2 ones as well. I love Tokio Jokie and You're a Sap Mr. Jap.

These are what I was anticipating to be among the 11.

OUmillenium
10/18/2010, 01:00 PM
So it is racist when the black guy can't outsmart the rabbit, but it is A-OK for Elmer Fudd to be dumber than a bag of hammers?

Heh, nice...and he has a speech impwedument