PDA

View Full Version : Know Their Quarterback: Austen Arnaud

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 03:51 PM
Austen Arnaud
6'3 230 lb senior

Arnaud is not unlike other quarterbacks OU has seen this year. A less talented Christian Ponder type. Arnaud rushed for over 500 yards last year, so the ability to scramble is something he brings to the table. AA has a thick frame that makes him hard to bring down at times when he scrambles. He will create contact with a defender and arm tackles will not bring him down.

AA in the passing game is just alright. His release is too long and arm strength is pretty average. His feet often are not where you would want them to be when he throws. Sometimes he forces throws that he doesnt have the arm to make. Mechanically is just not good.

So what should happen? Iowa State is really lacking down the field passing this year, so expect a lot of short to intermediate throws. Arnaud is not mentally where you want a senior qb to be, so he will force some of those. Another one of those games that an LB should get an easy INT. He also throws to the wrong side on most slants, so there be some passes that are just out there for DB's to grab. He will also throw a few over the heads of his WRs..Still as a senior will stare down a primary target...

Defense should get 2 picks easy and have AA frustrated quickly.

ThinMan
10/14/2010, 03:53 PM
We've done awesome against mobile QBs!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 03:56 PM
Well he is a little different in that he is a big strong guy who isn't going to outrun you, he will try and run over you...even though he does have a certain amount of shiftiness..

They lack so much at the WR that he gets frustrated and then the ball pops loose or a INT after a force

Widescreen
10/14/2010, 03:59 PM
blah blah blah

He's no Rhett Bomar, that fo sho

texas bandman
10/14/2010, 04:04 PM
He sure handed TT and their SEC defensive scheme a beat-down, so I think he'll torch our Big XII defense for half a hundred. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it seems I remember TT saying "We are going to play defense here" at the beginning of the season..not so much

texas bandman
10/14/2010, 04:15 PM
TT (Tommy Tuberville) is a joke. I hope we have a game like 2008 when Tech comes to Norman. I'm still pissed they fired Mike Leach. He kept me entertained. TT is a bore, but hopefully the Leach mojo will be gone when we have to visit Lubbock next.

DeaconBoomer
10/14/2010, 04:16 PM
What was the BGU's QB name that stood our D-Line up and pushed them backwards on every carry?? That dude dominated us.

I hope we can tackle and play assignment football.

Collier11
10/14/2010, 04:16 PM
Well he is a little different in that he is a big strong guy who isn't going to outrun you, he will try and run over you...even though he does have a certain amount of shiftiness..

They lack so much at the WR that he gets frustrated and then the ball pops loose or a INT after a force

Hope this isnt a Josh Freeman type game where we miss a brazillion tackles on the QB which allows him to make some plays downfield

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:20 PM
What was the BGU's QB name that stood our D-Line up and pushed them backwards on every carry?? That dude dominated us.

I hope we can tackle and play assignment football.

Omar Jacobs?

Collier11
10/14/2010, 04:20 PM
Jacobs came to Norman, I dont think Josh Harris did, did he?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:21 PM
Harris left the year before

DeaconBoomer
10/14/2010, 04:26 PM
Omar Jacobs?

Thank you.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:27 PM
I they are pretty similar quarterbacks except that Jacobs had it a little better upstairs.....as a freshman..

Even down to the long wasted motion of dropping the football down and then back up again

Collier11
10/14/2010, 04:28 PM
Didnt Jacobs have like 38 TDs and 2 INTs his last year?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:29 PM
38 and 3 i think

Collier11
10/14/2010, 04:30 PM
yea, Id say he has it alot better up top

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2010, 04:33 PM
Jacobs throwing motion is one of the main reasons he couldn't cut it...It was amazing to me the guy didn't throw more interceptions except he was so darn smart with the football in his hands

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2010, 11:13 PM
Austen Arnaud
6'3 230 lb senior

Arnaud is not unlike other quarterbacks OU has seen this year. A less talented Christian Ponder type. Arnaud rushed for over 500 yards last year, so the ability to scramble is something he brings to the table. AA has a thick frame that makes him hard to bring down at times when he scrambles. He will create contact with a defender and arm tackles will not bring him down.

AA in the passing game is just alright. His release is too long and arm strength is pretty average. His feet often are not where you would want them to be when he throws. Sometimes he forces throws that he doesnt have the arm to make. Mechanically is just not good.

So what should happen? Iowa State is really lacking down the field passing this year, so expect a lot of short to intermediate throws. Arnaud is not mentally where you want a senior qb to be, so he will force some of those. Another one of those games that an LB should get an easy INT. He also throws to the wrong side on most slants, so there be some passes that are just out there for DB's to grab. He will also throw a few over the heads of his WRs..Still as a senior will stare down a primary target...

Defense should get 2 picks easy and have AA frustrated quickly.

OU didn't get the picks, but I think about everything else was on target...Some of those plays he made by breaking and escaping tackles were nice to watch...