PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Law Wranglers!

TUSooner
10/14/2010, 02:40 PM
Homey & Froz, this is expeshully right up your alleys (if Homey can hold his nose long enough to get past the soccer part):
Major English club Liverpool has 2 very Unpopular American Owners (UAOs aka "weeny heads") who have run the club into major debt. Creditor Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and the club's board (& fans) favor selling the club to some other Americans who also own the Boston Red Sox. Deal is made and is ready to be be executed.

British court says the UAOs cannot stop the sale to the Red Soxers by firing the club's directors, etc., which the UAOs tried to do.

But wait.... UAO's get a TRO in a Texxas state court (Yeah, the state in the USA, WTF?!) enjoining the sale.

But wait again... the British court says the UAOs litigation ploy is "unconscionable" and that they can't rely on the tejas TRO and will be held in contempt if they keep trying to undermine the Brit Court. (The jurisidictional link to tejas -- via R Bank of S, apparently -- is as thin as one of them there Vietnamese see-through tortillas.)

So... Y'all please 'plain how all this works out. :D

Here's some background.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9091246.stm

MORE: http://www.thelawyer.com/liverpool-saga-back-in-court-to-block-texas-injunction/1005778.article

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2010, 02:46 PM
Not only am I not licensed in any US jurisdiction, I don't even OWN a powdered wig. You're on your own, man.

TUSooner
10/14/2010, 02:51 PM
Not only am I not licensed in any US jurisdiction, I don't even OWN a powdered wig. You're on your own, man.

YOU ****ING WUSS !!!!!!

:D
C'mon man, you have an opinion on every legal thing on these boards. Surely you've heard something in law skule that qualifies you to sort this out!

Word I hear is that RBS and the directors really could just ignore the tejas court but that RBS DOES do some biz in tejas so they don't want to pisz off that state's courts.

Another word is that even the tejas court will likely toss out its own TRO since it was based only on the allegations of the UAO/weeny-heads.

OUMallen
10/14/2010, 03:01 PM
Homey & Froz, this is expeshully right up your alleys (if Homey can hold his nose long enough to get past the soccer part):
Major English club Liverpool has 2 very Unpopular American Owners (UAOs aka "weeny heads") who have run the club into major debt. Creditor Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and the club's board (& fans) favor selling the club to some other Americans who also own the Boston Red Sox. Deal is made and is ready to be be executed.

British court says the UAOs cannot stop the sale to the Red Soxers by firing the club's directors, etc., which the UAOs tried to do.

But wait.... UAO's get a TRO in a Texxas state court (Yeah, the state in the USA, WTF?!) enjoining the sale.

But wait again... the British court says the UAOs litigation ploy is "unconscionable" and that they can't rely on the tejas TRO and will be held in contempt if they keep trying to undermine the Brit Court. (The jurisidictional link to tejas -- via R Bank of S, apparently -- is as thin as one of them there Vietnamese see-through tortillas.)

So... Y'all please 'plain how all this works out. :D

Here's some background.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9091246.stm

MORE: http://www.thelawyer.com/liverpool-saga-back-in-court-to-block-texas-injunction/1005778.article

As a licensed attorney, I'm going to say: that's a damned mess. :cool:

soonerboomer93
10/14/2010, 03:06 PM
YOU ****ING WUSS !!!!!!

C'mon man, you have an opinion on every legal thing on these boards. Surely you've heard something in law skule that qualifies you to sort this out!

Word I hear is that RBS and the directors really could just ignore the tejas court but that RBS DOES do some biz in tejas so they don't want to pisz off that state's courts.

Another word is that even the tejas court will likely toss out its own TRO since it was based only on the allegations of the UAO/weeny-heads.

I have it on good authority that he's lying about the powdered wig also.

Ike
10/14/2010, 03:33 PM
Tom Hicks...Tom Hicks....

Where have I heard that name before?

Oh right...isn't he the one that took the Texas Rangers into bankruptcy?

<edit> Wikipedia says "You are corrrrrrrect! dingdingdingdingdingding"

OUinFLA
10/14/2010, 04:38 PM
law nerds

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2010, 06:25 PM
YOU ****ING WUSS !!!!!!

My opinion is that I'm not getting paid to research this and I have about 100 pages of reading to do before heading out to Homecoming on Saturday.

Okla-homey
10/15/2010, 06:06 AM
A pox on soccer. Wherever it is found. It should be declared a crime against humanity. Like piracy and genocide.

Other than that, I got nuttin'.

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2010, 06:07 AM
I have a powdered wig, but it's pubic.

Taxman71
10/15/2010, 06:15 AM
All I remember from Conflict of Laws class is that every court ends up applying its own law and don't like other jurisdictions telling them what to do.

Maybe the UK is full of good ole texas-hatin' Sooner fans?

AlbqSooner
10/15/2010, 06:21 AM
I have it on good authority that he's lying about the powdered wig also.

Your authority is wrong. I happen to know that NONE of his wigs are powdered.;)

TUSooner
10/15/2010, 07:00 AM
My opinion is that I'm not getting paid to research this and I have about 100 pages of reading to do before heading out to Homecoming on Saturday.

Well, if you want to put a promising career ahead of some inane academic internet exercise that has nothing to do with your life, go ahead. :rolleyes: :)

Okla-homey
10/15/2010, 11:34 AM
Well, if you want to put a promising career ahead of some inane academic internet exercise that has nothing to do with your life, go ahead. :rolleyes: :)

Homecoming at bammer? heh. I wonder if the big cross will be burned with gasoline or diesel?