PDA

View Full Version : The infamous OU-isu game of 1990

ouwasp
10/14/2010, 12:27 AM
Anybody else at that head-shaking/teeth-gnashing game?

The Sooners had a chance to score a TD late, but had to settle for a FG. This left the door open for i-state.

ISU had been going empty set off and on. But generally when they went empty, they ran the QB draw. Over and over again.

Thus went their last, game-winning drive. The Clone QB looked like someone competing for the Olympic Walk-Run Gold. I bet he ran 5 draws. Thousands of sooner fans were beseeching the defense to "Git the Quarterback!"... all to no avail. Sooners lose 33-31.

I don't think I've ever left Owen field so disgusted. Little did I know the Blake yrs were still to come.

mightysooner
10/14/2010, 12:35 AM
I was at the state fair with my college GF at the time and remember checking in on that game and it was the same thing over and over. QB draw for gash after gash and I think he had over 200 yards rushing. I think I threw my funnel cake at a poke fan in disgust.

ictsooner7
10/14/2010, 01:17 AM
I was at the state fair with my college GF at the time and remember checking in on that game and it was the same thing over and over. QB draw for gash after gash and I think he had over 200 yards rushing. I think I threw my funnel cake at a poke fan in disgust.

That line will never get old.

sooner518
10/14/2010, 07:41 AM
is this the game where they ran a fake punt late in the game to continue their game-winning drive? or something like that

if so, that was my third OU game and first OU loss. I was 8 years old. I remember my dad yelling out as they lined up for the punt, "Watch the fake!!!"........

Sooners78
10/14/2010, 07:49 AM
I think Dewell Brewer had a long TD run in that game.

CobraKai
10/14/2010, 07:54 AM
One of the hardest things I've ever had to watch. I was a student there. I started OU with Barry Switzer as coach, and had to sit through this game thinking "for the first time ever I honestly think I could do a better job of tackling that guy than any of our defensive players." I honestly think he ran in slo-mo.

DeaconBoomer
10/14/2010, 09:02 AM
Wasn't ISU's QB, Peterson? The big , slow white kid that looked like Jesse Owens when he ran the ball straight up the field play after play after play.

No one could stop the kid. I thought that game ended in a tie?

PDXsooner
10/14/2010, 10:26 AM
I was there. My Dad's buddy flew in from Virginia and told me how he grew up listening to the big bad Bud Wilkinson's teams on the radio in the 50's and he thought of Oklahoma as this intimidating giant of a program.

Then his first experience live was watching Iowa State come in and beat them. Embarassing.

CobraKai
10/14/2010, 10:26 AM
I thought the ISU QB that year was a mannequin they dressed up in a uniform. It moved slower than those old electronic football games in the 50s that shook the players until they fell down. At one point I think he stopped and tied his shoe 15 yards into an eventual 30 yard run.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2008/01/vibrating_football.jpg

Soonerson1975
10/14/2010, 10:39 AM
I punched a hole in my bedroom wall during the 4th Qt of this debacle. Without doubt one of the most frustrating games in OU history.

DarrellZero
10/14/2010, 10:42 AM
I don't actually recall this, but I'm sure Gary Gibbs stood there passively watching all of it as though he were thinking about soup.

Used to drive me crazy. I'll take Mike "My Head is Going to Explode" Stoops any day.

stoopified
10/14/2010, 10:49 AM
My seats were in the southendzone at the the time and I recall just sitting therte in shock.It was the first time ISU had beat us in around 30 years and they were going crazy.It was about this time I saw a gray-haired Sooner fan(he was proably in his mid 60's) stand up ,extend both arms out and unfurled the middle finger of both hands toward the ISU fans,team and band,he then yelled FUCQ YOU, at the top of his lungs.I couldn't help it,as pi$$ed as I was I still had to laugh.

That was the game in which I lost hope in Gibbs.On his coach's show he said that the DL had contain on all those scramble and draw plays that the glacier slow QB turned into TDs and big plays.I recall thinking after about the first six times or so I would have adjusted the D(maybe assigned a shadow to the QB) because what we were running sure as $hit wasn't working.

royalfan5
10/14/2010, 10:53 AM
As an 8 year old Nebraska fan at the time, I still remember that hearing that score and it blowing my mind, as I thought the only Big 8 schoool that OU could lose to was NU, and only occasionally at that.

humblesooner
10/14/2010, 11:21 AM
I was a season ticket holder at the time and I know I was there, as I never missed a home game as long as I lived in OK.
But I seriously do not remember this happening in Norman.

Sooners78
10/14/2010, 01:02 PM
I was a season ticket holder at the time and I know I was there, as I never missed a home game as long as I lived in OK.
But I seriously do not remember this happening in Norman.

I suppose like most of us, you were in denial by the end of that game. Just a week earlier, we were undefeated and ranked #4 after blowout wins against ranked UCLA and Pittsburgh. Then an unranked Texas wins by a point, and the season fell apart. We lost 3 straight ending with a 9 point loss in Boulder to the eventual national champions. 3 losses by a total of 12 points! We ended with a blowout of Nebraska. That team showed signs of being really good at times, so the 8-3 record was disappointing.

OUmillenium
10/14/2010, 01:11 PM
I was a Freshman at SWOSU at the time. Still a sick Sooner fan so I arranged to meet a buddy at the Iowas St game outside the giftstore at the stadium. Remember at that time, THE giftstore was a separate building just to the south of the westside bleachers and to the west of the south endzone bleachers = can't freaking miss it.

Well I waited for about an hour and it was almost kickoff, no buddy (he was at some gift stand inside the north endzone area = wtf?). So an old fella (approx 75) comes up and asks if I would like a ticket cuz he has an extra. I say sure, he wants to give it to me free but I convince him to finally take $6 for it = about the price of a dog and drink back in the day.

So we are just under the upperdeck s 20 yard line, great seats. Find out the old guy was from Lawton and dated a lady (distant relative) from my hometown back in the 40s. We had a wonderful time except for the joke of a football game going on down on the field.

Never forget all of the QB draws/runs that bailed out the Cyclones.

Howzit
10/14/2010, 01:28 PM
I was there, and I believe it was, indeed, Peterson. I remember all the disgusted fans leaving after the game mumbling (or more) about how Gibbs wasn't going to be around long.

At one point I think he stopped and tied his shoe 15 yards into an eventual 30 yard run.

I remember that play. On another he ran up into the stands, bought, and ate a hotdog. But he only picked up 15 yards on that one.

Dr. Sleep
10/14/2010, 01:35 PM
I was there. ISU had ran more than the QB draw. They started with just running the regular draw play to the HB. When it worked every time, they expanded on this weakness and ran all the draw plays, before discovering that the easy play in the world worked every time. Hike to QB, QB walk ahead for 7 yards.

I went beserk. Bad enough we couldn't stop the draw from ISU in a regular defense, worse was to not make any adjustments and lose to ISU at home.

CobraKai
10/14/2010, 03:47 PM
I remember that play. On another he ran up into the stands, bought, and ate a hotdog. But he only picked up 15 yards on that one.

I remember that. He was in line behind me.

texaspokieokie
10/14/2010, 04:06 PM
My seats were in the southendzone at the the time and I recall just sitting therte in shock.It was the first time ISU had beat us in around 30 years and they were going crazy.It was about this time I saw a gray-haired Sooner fan(he was proably in his mid 60's) stand up ,extend both arms out and unfurled the middle finger of both hands toward the ISU fans,team and band,he then yelled FUCQ YOU, at the top of his lungs.I couldn't help it,as pi$$ed as I was I still had to laugh.

That was the game in which I lost hope in Gibbs.On his coach's show he said that the DL had contain on all those scramble and draw plays that the glacier slow QB turned into TDs and big plays.I recall thinking after about the first six times or so I would have adjusted the D(maybe assigned a shadow to the QB) because what we were running sure as $hit wasn't working.

i was there in the south end zone. all i remember is a buncha QB draws !!!

OhU1
10/14/2010, 04:34 PM
I was there. I'm bad luck at ISU games. The last two I've attended was this Gomer "Leave The Game In The Hands Of The Defense" Gibbs special and a 7-7 tie in 1981 after a heart breaking loss to USC with 2 seconds left.

I remember the fans filing out of the upper deck in almost total silence. When the slow ISU stiff lurched over the goal line on the last play it had the feel of something that was inevitable.

CrimsonCommando
10/14/2010, 04:39 PM
It was Dad's Day my freshman year. Last OU game I went to with my dad. Thought we'd get to watch a glorious beatdown that we were accustomed to. My roomate's dad played football for OU, and had wicked-good seats on the 50 yard line and we went sat with them. The game was a farce. We were so disgusted at how the Sooner coaches responded.

Reflecting back on Gibbs, I now realize it was tough for him to follow the King and deal with the probation issues. Damn if we had known what kind of coaching was to follow him...