PDA

View Full Version : Women Announcers for Football

Soonerwake
10/13/2010, 07:49 PM
I find myself turning a game off if the announcer, either one, is a woman. Am I a sexist?? What say you??

CatfishSooner
10/13/2010, 07:53 PM
woman announcers suck...

NWOSURanger
I find myself turning a game off if the announcer, either one, is a woman. Am I a sexist?? What say you??

Everytime my wife sees a woman reporter on the sideline or as a announcer, she says that women only belong on the sidelines as cheerleaders.

I can't argue with that.
(I also think that she is just jealous).

Soonerson1975
You know there is too many bowl games when some of them will be announced by a woman.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2010, 07:54 PM
Most the women announcers are pretty manly, so it's not a big difference.

BC_Boomer#8
10/13/2010, 07:55 PM
Pam Ward's voice = http://www.whydidyouwearthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Adding-Zest-Nails-on-Chalkboard.png

Soonerjeepman
10/13/2010, 07:56 PM
agreed...don't care if they are hawt...

SoonerDan74012
10/13/2010, 07:57 PM
Pam Ward's voice = http://www.whydidyouwearthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Adding-Zest-Nails-on-Chalkboard.png

She has to be a man!

I Am Right
10/13/2010, 08:38 PM
As long as they wear something short

landrun
10/13/2010, 08:48 PM
My wife complains about this all the time. She can't stand it. She says that a woman has no business announcing a game she can't play and never has.

JLEW1818
10/13/2010, 08:50 PM
keep women out of football (cept cheerleaders)

come on Barack, even you would agree with that. You don't even have to lie and preach something you don't believe in about that. :D

Seamus
10/13/2010, 08:56 PM
Frankly, about the only sideline reporter I respect is the one for espn, Shelley or Holly or whatever -- because I know by looking at her she got her job for football knowledge and not chrome-removal ability.

There's enough cheesecake on the sidelines without jamming a vicarious penis into one of their hands and having her ask stupid questions. I'd much rather have a non-hottie prowl the sidelines IF she can ask reasonable, football-knowledgable questions.

badger
10/13/2010, 08:56 PM
I don't mind chick sideline reporters. I think they probably have a lot easier time getting coaches to stop and talk to them at halftime (gentlemen don't turn down nice ladies asking for help, amirite?) and the same goes for getting injury information.

As for commentary, I really don't recall any football games where a woman was up in the booth for football. This happens in womens basketball broadcasts though. Didn't really bother me.

As for saying women can't be commentators on sports they can't play, I don't buy that argument. There's tons of unathletic guys that have probably never played a down of college football that are commentators and in some cases, coaches (yes, referring to Mark Mangino). Plus, some ex-athletes that ESPN has brought in are absolutely AWFUL in their roles on TV.

3rdgensooner
10/13/2010, 09:04 PM
Most the women announcers are pretty manly, so it's not a big difference.I get called "sir" all the time on the phone so I would be perfection.

Soonerfan88
10/13/2010, 09:05 PM
Doesn't bother me. Most I've heard are better than some of the idiot men announcers out there. Stacey Dales does a great job on football and basketball. And we all know (even if we don't want to admit it) that most of these female sideline reporters are there just for eye candy anyway. Do any of you really listen to anything Erin Andrews says? If that's their only qualification, I would rather have a male on the sideline. There are plenty of websites or clubs for eye candy later when football isn't on.

badger
10/13/2010, 09:05 PM
I get called "sir" all the time on the phone so I would be perfection.

Protip: When the phone solicitor asks for your husband (or if you're still in college, your daddy) just keep going with it, because you know your husband doesn't wanna talk to the solicitor either (or your dad either) and the person trying to sell you crap can't be all like "Sir, you sound like a girl!" or anything... they need to pretend that you don't sound like a chick and keep pushing whatever it is they're supposed to :D

3rdgensooner
10/13/2010, 09:07 PM
Protip: When the phone solicitor asks for your husband (or if you're still in college, your daddy) just keep going with it, because you know your husband doesn't wanna talk to the solicitor either (or your dad either) and the person trying to sell you crap can't be all like "Sir, you sound like a girl!" or anything... they need to pretend that you don't sound like a chick and keep pushing whatever it is they're supposed to :DSo, I need to pretend I have a husband or that I live with my dad.

Then they will think I'm a) guhey, or 2) NickZepp.

ba dum ching

Soonerwake
10/13/2010, 09:14 PM
As for commentary, I really don't recall any football games where a woman was up in the booth for football. This happens in womens basketball broadcasts though. Didn't really bother me.

As for saying women can't be commentators on sports they can't play, I don't buy that argument. There's tons of unathletic guys that have probably never played a down of college football that are commentators and in some cases, coaches (yes, referring to Mark Mangino). Plus, some ex-athletes that ESPN has brought in are absolutely AWFUL in their roles on TV.

There is one on tonight. A woman is the play-by-play and I found that I couldn't watch/listen. It has nothing to do with the "sport they played" argument. I just can't listen to a woman doing play-by-play.

I guess I belong in a cave.

badger
10/13/2010, 09:17 PM
Wow, didn't even notice - that's how boring that game is.

Don't blame the chick for Marshall vs. Central Florida being unwatchable. Consider the teams, consider that there was a huge delay for weather and then realize that you could have Herbie talking non-stop about Demarco winning the Heisman and it would still be borderline watchable, just because of the crappy game in front of you

Soonerwake
10/13/2010, 09:27 PM
I'm with u sister.

Now, don't get me started on women police officers....

wahoorob
10/13/2010, 09:48 PM
Doesn't bother me. Most I've heard are better than some of the idiot men announcers out there. Stacey Dales does a great job on football and basketball. And we all know (even if we don't want to admit it) that most of these female sideline reporters are there just for eye candy anyway. Do any of you really listen to anything Erin Andrews says? If that's their only qualification, I would rather have a male on the sideline. There are plenty of websites or clubs for eye candy later when football isn't on.

Erin Andrews talks?

Clever Trevor
10/13/2010, 09:49 PM
We all know I belong back in the booth. Search your feelings, you know it be true...

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:21 AM
I was pretty amused..when they were doing the shot in the booth of them talking about whatever during the lightning delay homeboy color commentator kept looking at play by play woman's non existent boobs when she was looking at the camera.

Blue
10/14/2010, 03:00 AM
Pam Ward Blows. Thanks Bin Laden...

badger
10/14/2010, 08:07 AM
We all know I belong back in the booth. Search your feelings, you know it be true...

I saw a fat Trevor on during halftime. Was that you? Man, you let yourself go! :eek:

sooner518
10/14/2010, 08:20 AM
dont particularly care. but in general, Pam Ward usually gets assigned to "ESPN's Saturday Morning Big 10 Craptacular featuring Northwestern versus Minnesota", so its not like I would have paid close attention to that game anyways....

men usually get the bigger games, which I end up watching.

and I am always up for more Erin Andrews/Jenn Brown screen time.

cyclonesooner
10/14/2010, 10:04 AM
Pretty hard for me to take female announcers seriously. The college games' sideline reporter questions and interviews do not compare with their NFL female colleagues.

badger
10/14/2010, 10:50 AM
Pretty hard for me to take female announcers seriously. The college games' sideline reporter questions and interviews do not compare with their NFL female colleagues.

Yes, we all think Stacey Dales is awesome, but ESPN blew it and she's on the Neffel Network now, so screw ESPN. :mad:

goingoneight
10/14/2010, 11:00 AM
We can be all politically correct everywhere else... but not in football, please.

Dear BIG TEN,
You like to think your conference is special. I ask of you... why is it that your games are on early before most of us drunks wake up to care about what day it is, where we're at or who she is next to us?

Oh, and Pam Ward is assigned to your games. :P

Sincerely,
Football

madillsoonerfan5353
10/14/2010, 11:10 AM
woman announcers suck...

This^^^^^

soonerboy_odanorth
10/14/2010, 11:37 AM
I posted this in the Marshall @ UCF thread, but I will repeat here:

From the "How to Tell Your Football Team is an Afterthought" Department:

Butch Mowens... err Beth Mowens...scuze me... gets thrown her monthly equal opportunity bone to broad(and I do mean broad)cast your game.

If she ever is the announcer for an OU game, that's a sure sign that we have become John Blake bad again.

I'm not sure whether I dislike her announcing because of her uber-dyke baritone, or because she just isn't very good. I think it's a little of both.

I think I could listen to a female play-by-play announcer on a football game. But she needs to sound like a female... a girly-girl... and she needs to be good.

That is all.

badger
10/14/2010, 11:41 AM
I think I could listen to a female play-by-play announcer on a football game. But she needs to sound like a female... a girly-girl... and she needs to be good.

You can keep posting here, but in order for us to take you off our 'ignore' lists, you need to sound like a male... a manly-man... and you need to be good!

;)

soonerboy_odanorth
10/14/2010, 11:46 AM
I was posting here long before you, girly-girl. And since I obviously am quality over quantity (reverse post count smack, how you like them apples?), I'll be the judge of what is deemed "good", thank you very much.

Ignore away, if you like. You're a skirt. I expect you to shy away from posts that are out of your depth.

Now go fix me a pot pie and bring me a beer!

:P

;)

sjt
10/14/2010, 11:50 AM
There is some guy who calls PAC10 games for ABC who has a much more annoying voice. He sounds like a male Ethel Merman.

Friscokid
10/14/2010, 11:54 AM
I posted this in the Marshall @ UCF thread, but I will repeat here:

From the "How to Tell Your Football Team is an Afterthought" Department:

Butch Mowens... err Beth Mowens...scuze me... gets thrown her monthly equal opportunity bone to broad(and I do mean broad)cast your game.

If she ever is the announcer for an OU game, that's a sure sign that we have become John Blake bad again.

I'm not sure whether I dislike her announcing because of her uber-dyke baritone, or because she just isn't very good. I think it's a little of both.

That is all.

I turned my TV to that game last night, and when I saw who was in the booth I watched something else. Jim Knox is almost as irritating!!!

w0lfe
10/14/2010, 12:32 PM
I cant stand women announcers... There is not one that can get me pumped during pre-game.. Holy crap, i re-read that. Man that sounds aweful

Sooners78
10/14/2010, 12:49 PM
The only time I've gotten any enjoyment out of a woman commentator in the booth or sideline was when drunk Joe Namath tried to kiss Suzy Kolber. That was classic!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-HQqIQyT-RuM/joe_namath_drunk/

cvsooner
10/14/2010, 02:27 PM
As for saying women can't be commentators on sports they can't play, I don't buy that argument. There's tons of unathletic guys that have probably never played a down of college football that are commentators and in some cases, coaches (yes, referring to Mark Mangino).

I think you mean Mike Leach. Mangino was a defensive back, if you can believe it.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry. I stand corrected. I would swear I read someplace that Mangino played in college...but his official bio says otherwise. My bad.

soonerchk
10/14/2010, 02:56 PM
I would be an excellent announcer as long as they had me on a 5 second delay.

Midtowner
10/14/2010, 03:29 PM
Pretty sure y'all complaining about Pam Ward are totally off base. Pam's a dude. No question about it. The hair, the voice. That dude is a dude. It's one of those boy named Sue things. Must be.

ELP Sooner
10/14/2010, 03:55 PM
I have to admit the female voice thing bothers me. OTOH Pam Ward knows the rules of the game as far as I can tell from the few games I have heard her call. I have noticed that many male announcers do not know the rules and start going crazy about bad calls or whatever only later to be corrected. In short, Pam does her homework and doesnt embarrass herself doing PBP and I respect her work ethic.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/14/2010, 04:03 PM

I'm prolly the only guy who watches women's bball but I gotta tell ya... I HATE Carolyn Peck!