PDA

View Full Version : what does a potential nfl lockout mean for..

NOVSooner
10/13/2010, 05:54 PM
the possible players who would leave early for us (i.e. broyles, lewis, etc)? i'm not sure what all is entailed in this potential lockout for the nfl but what does it mean for underclassmen and do you think the lockout would have an affect on whether a guy declares early or not?

Jboozer
10/13/2010, 05:56 PM
I hope they all end up staying. Despite conventional wisdom it actually worked out better for Sam. He could have had Stafford's pay, instead he stayed, got hurt, and made more money!

fdubzou
10/13/2010, 05:57 PM
Absolutely, why leave when there's nothing to leave to? Stay, finish your degree or at least be playing football and having fun. I guess the UFL is another option...

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2010, 06:06 PM
I assume there will still be a draft regardless. But I would think the owners would be hard-asses negotiating contracts w/o the training camp deadlines.

Scott D
10/13/2010, 06:14 PM
They're all going to be facing a rookie salary cap next year either way, so the big big money opportunities won't be there unless they go with the creative structuring of contracts.

SoonerLB
10/13/2010, 06:19 PM
Isn't the topic of rookie salaries one of the big issues between the owners and player's union? I know there is a lot of grumbling about unproven rookies getting money that the proven pros think they should be getting. Sam may very well hold the record for some time if changes are made.

picasso
10/13/2010, 06:23 PM
Scab time! I'm still in shape coach!

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2010, 06:41 PM

I haven't lost a step. That's the advantage of never having a step.

party1234
10/13/2010, 06:51 PM
I don't think Broyles is a first round guy because of size, so does he leave regardless of the lockout? I have heard him say he want's to break records and stay around next year.

Tigeman
10/13/2010, 07:45 PM

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/the_replacements/_group_photos/jon_favreau3.jpg

Soonerjeepman
10/13/2010, 08:03 PM
"put me in coach...I'm ready to play..."...oh wait, wrong sport...sorry!

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:05 AM
Isn't the topic of rookie salaries one of the big issues between the owners and player's union? I know there is a lot of grumbling about unproven rookies getting money that the proven pros think they should be getting. Sam may very well hold the record for some time if changes are made.

I can't really see why owners would be against a rookie cap. Anything that causes them to spend less money on salary should probably be beneficial to them. Especially with the estimate that because of the impending looming strike/lockout the NFL is already looking at potentially losing $1 Billion over the next year.

usaosooner
10/14/2010, 02:12 AM
UFL is going to be pretty good next year... :texan:

humblesooner
10/14/2010, 10:10 AM
I can't really see why owners would be against a rookie cap. Anything that causes them to spend less money on salary should probably be beneficial to them. Especially with the estimate that because of the impending looming strike/lockout the NFL is already looking at potentially losing $1 Billion over the next year.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the owners are against a rookie cap.
I think the vets probably want the veteran scale increased.