PDA

View Full Version : Doyel BLASTS Urban Meyer.....

Salt City Sooner
10/13/2010, 12:53 PM
Pulled punches? Not this time:

Florida coach Urban Meyer, who let talented touchdown-maker Chris Rainey return to practice this week -- one month after Rainey threatened his girlfriend's life -- talks about players like family. They're his children. His sons. In real life, of course, Urban Meyer has a son of his own, and he has two daughters. And so, for a change, I want him to think about this:

Don't think of Chris Rainey as his son.

Think of Chris Rainey's girlfriend as his daughter.

Rainey pleaded guilty to misdemeanor stalking after sending the following text message to his girlfriend: "Time to Die B-tch."

Is Chris Rainey back at practice this week if he'd sent that to Meyer's daughter?

We'll never know, and good for that. I don't wish ill will on Meyer or his family, but I do wish the single most visible man at Florida -- my alma mater, if you didn't know -- would stop embarrassing UF grads like me who wonder why he's considered such a strong leader when in reality he's weak. Soft. Pathetic.

Meyer cares only about winning games, and if he'd stand there and tell the world, "I care only about winning games," then I could live with it. I'd still be embarrassed that a dangerous cretin like Chris Rainey was allowed to represent my school so soon after telling a woman that it was time to die, b-tch -- but I could live with Meyer being true to who Meyer is, which is a cutthroat coach concerned not with his players or his university, but with his career winning percentage and the $24 million contract that comes with it.

Instead of being honest, though, Meyer resorts to empty talk about "core values" and meaningless blather that Rainey continues to "pay a price" and must "follow guidelines," but in the meantime Meyer is "disappointed" that one of the fastest players in his program told a b-tch that it was time to die.

What if that b-tch was your daughter, Urban? What then?

Don't tell me this is an irrelevant hypothetical, because it's not. Urban Meyer himself admitted to engaging in such parental role play a few months ago when he confronted an Orlando Sentinel reporter who had quoted receiver Deonte Thompson about the differences between Tim Tebow and John Brantley. Meyer told the Sentinel's Jeremy Fowler, "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

If that was my son ...

Meyer then told Fowler, who was guilty of quoting the 21-year-old Thompson accurately, "You're a bad guy, man. You're a bad guy."

Sickening. Meyer talks about the Florida football family, but the only father he reminds me of is the one who can't control his kids. Rainey was the 25th Florida player arrested under Meyer's watch, or maybe he was the 27th, or maybe he was the 30th.

All three figures have been reported because the truth is, so many Gators have been arrested that it's hard to keep up. Let's give Meyer the benefit of the doubt and go with 25 -- which is 24 more than have been arrested in four years under coach Randy Shannon at Miami.

See, this stuff can be stopped. It's not impossible, and it would require tough love -- kicking players off the team after being charged with a crime, no questions asked, after the 10th or 15th or 20th arrest. After Rainey's arrest on Sept. 14, Meyer said he was "real upset" and then vowed, "enough's enough."

Then the Gators lost two consecutive games. Florida gained 281 yards against Alabama on Oct. 2, and its offense was even worse in the loss to LSU, totaling just 243.

That was Saturday.

Chris Rainey was back with the team Sunday.

Transparent. And dishonest. Off the field, Meyer considers the "core values" of his program to be three no-nos -- no stealing, no drugs, no weapons -- and two affirmatives. Honesty is one. Respect for women is the other.

On the field, Meyer has other core values. I'm not playing with words, either. This is what Meyer said Monday, bemoaning his team's offensive struggles:

"The lack of explosive plays," he said, which "were something we set a trademark for around here. We're void of those right now. We're not having those home-run shots. [That] and, obviously, taking care of the football ... those are the core values of our program on how to win a game."

What we have here is a collision of core values. Last month Chris Rainey told a woman it was "time to die" -- but Rainey also has four career runs of at least 60 yards, and three others of 33 yards or longer.

Respect for women vs. explosive plays.

You see which core value matters more at Florida.

Urban Meyer is a bad guy, man. He's a bad guy.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14124413/meyer-shows-true-core-values-by-reinstating-rainey

fdubzou
10/13/2010, 01:00 PM
Good. Nice to see someone calling Meyer out on his bull****.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/13/2010, 01:08 PM
I guess we can't really call Miami Thug U. anymore. It appears the gators have stolen that mantle.

Widescreen
10/13/2010, 01:11 PM
Meyer shouldn't even be coaching this year. His whole act is garbage.

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 01:14 PM
My goodness. I'm eagerly awaiting Mr. Meyer's response.

goingoneight
10/13/2010, 01:14 PM
Reading about all of UF and UT's legal troubles really makes you appreciate the good guys like Landry Jones, DeMarco Murray and the endless list of others under Stoops. It also makes you feel good when guys like Paul Thompson and Ryan Broyles get straightened out.
I don't know if the Rainey situation is as cut and dry as the article makes it sound, but he does have a point. Let's see what Rainey's ex-gf's Dad would have done if he was head coach for a day...

I know we've had a few bad eggs, but damn... I think for the most part Stoops runs a clean program. If Jaz Reynolds is considered to be on the hotseat for an out of line joke, it just shows you how good Stoops is. Dvoracek and Chaisson are the only two violent stories to come out that I'm aware of outside of a wide receiver who never made it through his first fall camp, and given the situations, both were handled as well as you could. Dusty was immediately booted, but given a chance to earn his way back to the field and Chaisson was admitted on thin ice due to lack of evidence and many different versions of his story.

Okie35
10/13/2010, 01:16 PM
ouch

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2010, 01:25 PM
Reading about all of UF and UT's legal troubles really makes you appreciate the good guys like Landry Jones, DeMarco Murray and the endless list of others under Stoops. It also makes you feel good when guys like Paul Thompson and Ryan Broyles get straightened out.
I don't know if the Rainey situation is as cut and dry as the article makes it sound, but he does have a point. Let's see what Rainey's ex-gf's Dad would have done if he was head coach for a day...

I know we've had a few bad eggs, but damn... I think for the most part Stoops runs a clean program. If Jaz Reynolds is considered to be on the hotseat for an out of line joke, it just shows you how good Stoops is. Dvoracek and Chaisson are the only two violent stories to come out that I'm aware of outside of a wide receiver who never made it through his first fall camp, and given the situations, both were handled as well as you could. Dusty was immediately booted, but given a chance to earn his way back to the field and Chaisson was admitted on thin ice due to lack of evidence and many different versions of his story.

Carl Pendleton also comes to mind.

badger
10/13/2010, 01:28 PM
I think every coach cares about winning and makes decisions based on winning. However, Urbie doesn't have the foresight that Stoops does to know that keeping bad apples around to win NOW means that you'll be losing a lot LATER.

Corch Irvin Meyers Go Gata doesn't need to be honest about the fact that he's making choices on discipline based on winning. We already know that's what he and every coach in the SEC (if not the entirety of Div. 1 football) does. What needs to be addressed is the fact that his shaky foundation built on two-quarter suspensions for eye gouges is crumbling when he doesn't have a Rev. Timmy T. Messiah to hold his crap together.

Stoops understands - and I've seen signs posted in football facilities that say this verbatim - that a few bad character guys can destroy the best of teams. Meyer does not. Prepare to fail, Florida.

Okie35
10/13/2010, 01:37 PM

Not even the Jaz situation you can even compare it to the whole Jarboe situation and that's not even as bad as what Rainey did.

yukonsooner
10/13/2010, 01:50 PM
Gee, what about osu and Blackmon. Wasn't his assault basically like Dusty's and didn't Stoops suspend him for a year? Isn't it worse than stealing gas like Broyls and wasn't he benched for a year. Jaz' remarks didn't send anyone to the hospital, and he is suspended indefinitely (which I agree with). Gundy let Blackmon back on the team for wins. Take him out of osu's equation and the would probable be 3-2.

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 01:52 PM
What did Blackmon do?

Better question: Who is Blackmon?

LRoss
10/13/2010, 01:54 PM
Wow, those are some hardcore personal attacks that don't really seem befitting of professional journalism.

No particular love for the guy here, and by all means disagree if you must, but he's a human being, you know?

85sooners
10/13/2010, 01:55 PM
:D

XingTheRubicon
10/13/2010, 01:58 PM
Really? A coach who gets paid 4 mil a year wants to win at all costs? What a shocker. Texas had a guy puking in a cop car and he was back for the NC blowout. Nobody cares that your feelings are hurt, Doyle.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/13/2010, 02:21 PM
What did Blackmon do?

Better question: Who is Blackmon?

Justin Blackmon... The leading receiver in the nation.

Oh, BTW, Urban Meyer is a ****** joke.

Dan Thompson
10/13/2010, 02:48 PM
He's trying to reach Tebow, for advice, but he has not been able to get him.

badger
10/13/2010, 02:53 PM
He's trying to reach Tebow, for advice, but he has not been able to get him.

Urban Meyer no longer believes in prayer.

OKC-SLC
10/13/2010, 02:54 PM
ouch.

GKeeper316
10/13/2010, 03:43 PM
I guess we can't really call Miami Thug U. anymore. It appears the gators have stolen that mantle.

cuz randy shannon is about eight times the coach oscar meyer is.

Taxman71
10/13/2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I thought Urban retired last spring.

zeke
10/13/2010, 04:14 PM
Youch

swardboy
10/13/2010, 04:14 PM
"oscar meyer"...hahahaha. Now that's funny stuff right there. Big hot dog!

ratherthanlater
10/13/2010, 04:26 PM
Meyer is such a fake *** p.o.s. but life has a way of punishing people like him eventually.

soonerbub
10/13/2010, 05:16 PM
I'm for giving the player a second chance on this one--plus how ya supposed to get the ball on the edge without him

stoopified
10/13/2010, 05:22 PM
I think it is funny Meyer is bashed for allowing a player who THREATENED his gf to return to his team.What about St.Tom of Nebraska who allowed accused rapists to play(Peters borthers)?Aplayer who assaulted his gf and dragged her down the stairs by her hair(Lawrence Phillips).McCartney at Colrado had over 30 felony counts against his players.From what I have heard Meyer has had numerous players who are charged with felonies while he has been at UF and THIS is what gets people riled up? Look at the crap that has gone on at UT under Brown,where is the outcry?I just find it curious that some coaches apparently aren't villified for player actions(St. Tom,McCartney,B rown) and others Switzer,Meyer) are.

badger
10/13/2010, 05:24 PM
'Fied, I think we all know this is a different era of football than the Ozzy era, when there wasn't twitter, facebook, intrawebs and crazy media to get all of that info out into the open to the point that everyone know everything.

Not justifying it, just sayin' that players (and coaches too) used to get away with a lot more. That era's over. Died with KU's and Tech's chances of being competitve with Mangino and Leach, those big meanies ;)

NormanPride
10/13/2010, 05:27 PM
It's also not just the threat of murder. It's the fact that he was arrested for aggravated stalking as well, after being a jerk to the police.

Okie35
10/13/2010, 05:28 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Kassim Osgood had to leap out a second-floor window late Monday to escape a gun-wielding man who had attacked him and a 19-year-old Roar cheerleader he was visiting in a home on Fort Caroline Road.

By the time it was over, police said the armed intruder had traded gunfire with the woman after sticking a gun to her head, saying, “What did that football player say to his girlfriend, 'It’s a good day to die,' ” misquoting ex-Florida Gator Chris Rainey’s recent text message to a former girlfriend.

Rainey should be gone for setting trends as well.

crimson&cream
10/13/2010, 06:56 PM
Wow, those are some hardcore personal attacks that don't really seem befitting of professional journalism.

No particular love for the guy here, and by all means disagree if you must, but he's a human being, you know?

He is I thougt he was kinda astone face statue who never smiles or oit'd break his face.

NorCal Sooner
10/13/2010, 06:58 PM
waa waa wee waa

http://blog.fitnessfootwear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/borat1.jpg

crimson&cream
10/13/2010, 07:00 PM
I think it is funny Meyer is bashed for allowing a player who THREATENED his gf to return to his team.What about St.Tom of Nebraska who allowed accused rapists to play(Peters borthers)?Aplayer who assaulted his gf and dragged her down the stairs by her hair(Lawrence Phillips).McCartney at Colrado had over 30 felony counts against his players.From what I have heard Meyer has had numerous players who are charged with felonies while he has been at UF and THIS is what gets people riled up? Look at the crap that has gone on at UT under Brown,where is the outcry?I just find it curious that some coaches apparently aren't villified for player actions(St. Tom,McCartney,B rown) and others Switzer,Meyer) are.

I think at the time many were villified as I remember Ole Tom caught some hell as did McCartney it's just been so long ago we've forgotten.

crimson&cream
10/13/2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I thought Urban retired last spring.

No he decided to coach again despite his health- why?. because he's so full of himself. In his mind he's the best ever College FB coach.

SouthFortySooner
10/13/2010, 07:09 PM
It was my argument always, regarding the nice boys who while texting ran through someone's DAUGTER'S bedroom! There would have been hush money if it were mine!

PLaw
10/13/2010, 07:47 PM

Nope. Now there is just Thug U 1 and Thug U 2.

BOOMER

Soonerfan88
10/13/2010, 08:55 PM
Although I agree with his opinion of Meyer, overall Doyel is a bitter hack who should banned from the internet completely. He is best buds with Greg Swaim and acts just like him. I truly can't believe that CBS still pays him to write that crappy hate-filled column.

badger
10/13/2010, 08:58 PM
Nope. Now there is just Thug U 1 and Thug U 2.

BOOMER

Maybe since Florida starts with the letter F and all, instead of Thug U, it could be Fug U.

:eek:

;)

sooneron
10/13/2010, 09:01 PM
He is I thougt he was kinda astone face statue who never smiles or oit'd break his face.

Sprechen sie Englisch???

DenverSooner751
10/13/2010, 09:27 PM
Sprechen sie Englisch???

LOL, love it.

BTW - Meyer is an assclown

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:17 AM

I see what you are saying, and I'd say at this point that Meyer ranks right up there with McCartney and Osborne in terms of not getting rid of guys. Hell, based on this season Mark Richt could be up in that group with his 11 different players that have been arrested this season.

This guy's article is pretty spot on, and I'm sure that Urban will be crying about how it's a mis-perception, and so on and how Doyel is a bad guy out to get him and his program.

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2010, 02:21 AM
Didn't we all predict this pretty much as soon as the incident happened?

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure I said he'd be back sooner than he was...it wasn't like he was fraudulently using a dead woman's credit card.

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2010, 02:29 AM
Only because he didn't kill her yet.

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:31 AM
****, from St. Urban murder is probably a 3 game suspension.