PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get the feeling this team may have "it"?

PDXsooner
10/12/2010, 10:31 PM
I'm not 100% sold yet, but there's something about this team I really like. It's kind of like the Ohio State team in 2002 in that they kept getting criticized for winning close games, but they kept winning.

We don't have the ridiculous offense we had in '03 or '08, and we don't have the great Mike Stoops defenses, but we seem pretty good on both sides of the ball, with a great opportunity to get better and better. It just feels like we have a ton of potential and room to get better.

In addition, I don't see any really great teams out there. Just a lot of good ones. Ohio State and Oregon are both very beatable.

Okie35
10/12/2010, 10:43 PM
Every team is beatable but I do get what you're saying. I think if the team showed up we can beat anyone honestly. It may not be pretty but we'd win.

Lott's Bandana
10/12/2010, 10:46 PM
Sort of like last year's baseball team in the post-season.

NormanPride
10/12/2010, 10:47 PM
Heck no. We've played one complete game and four terrible ones. We're undefeated but not in the "our D did just enough and our O was solid if not fruitful" way. In the "holy crap that game's over. We won? you sure?" way.

They do, however, have tons of talent and a youthful zeal for the game. Huzzah!

Eddie Money
10/12/2010, 11:16 PM
I think the upcoming game against Iowa State is the first game where we really know what we are dealing with (a not good team), and we really should thump them. If we don't and we start screwing around in the 4th quarter again, I would say no.

PDXsooner
10/12/2010, 11:26 PM
Yea, I agree that it's yet to be determined. I think this team needs to show it can put people away and finish, and I'd like to see them respond to adversity (come back after being down) instead of getting up big and then holding people off.

Just curious what other people's thoughts are. I have a feeling this team is going to be a lot stronger in a month or so, versus some of our other teams that peaked early.

rainiersooner
10/12/2010, 11:39 PM
Huzzah!

Huzzah! Lol.

Sooner Eclipse
10/12/2010, 11:48 PM
I think the upcoming game against Iowa State is the first game where we really know what we are dealing with (a not good team), and we really should thump them. If we don't and we start screwing around in the 4th quarter again, I would say no.

Iowa St is not a good barometer (bad team). However if we screw around w Mizzou we will likely get beat. This is a young team that hasn't been able to focus for 4 qtrs. They should be jelling soon. If they do, I don't see them in the NC game, but could finally be the team that wins a BCS game. I'd be more than happy with that from this team.

GKeeper316
10/12/2010, 11:49 PM
if not this year, definately next. so much talent coming back. all these awesome freshmen getting tons of playing time...

if we arent preseason #1, it'll prove that the guys making the polls either dont know what the **** they are doing, or there really is a media bias against OU.

PDXsooner
10/12/2010, 11:52 PM
if not this year, definately next. so much talent coming back. all these awesome freshmen getting tons of playing time...

if we arent preseason #1, it'll prove that the guys making the polls either dont know what the **** they are doing, or there really is a media bias against OU.

I've heard that too much over the years. You're 5-0, you've beaten Texas, you've gotten through a tough non-conf. schedule...no reason to wait until next year. Get it done this year.

starclassic tama
10/13/2010, 12:28 AM
how about we win it this year and next

OUstud
10/13/2010, 12:33 AM
Huzzah! Lol.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Tobias-Funke-tobias-funke-741936_1024_768.jpg

GKeeper316
10/13/2010, 12:34 AM
how about we win it this year and next

thats what i was sayin... i thought.

i hope we get either oregon or boise in a mnc. i hope we get to give one of those teams an epic dehumanizing beatdown.

CrimsonRez
10/13/2010, 12:43 AM
Yes, this team feels a lot like the 2000 team other than beating people by a lot. I just really think if we lose another BCS game before we win one, they may just kick us out of college football.

SoonerStormchaser
10/13/2010, 01:09 AM
It's kind of like the Ohio State team in 2002 in that they kept getting criticized for winning close games, but they kept winning.

Dude...don't EVER compare us to that year's tOSU team. They won that MNC solely because the refs helped them...first in the Penn State game, then in the Purdue game...then that insanely bull**** PI call in the thUg game (they were shoving each other, and Gamble pushed off...shoulda been offsetting penalties and replayed 4th down...****ing Big XII refs).

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2010, 01:23 AM
If this team goes to Mizzou and wins, I'll have a higher expectation

soonerbub
10/13/2010, 02:50 AM
I've thought about this a lot and I came up with a very simple key to the 2010 Sooners.

It all revolves around #12 (no pressure there!!)
He throws 3+ oskies in a game--we probably lose
Less than that we CAN win every game (no guarantees)
The mental breakdowns a la Lincoln last year scare the **** out of me (not to mention the 1 man fumblerooski at the Cotton Bowl)

swardboy
10/13/2010, 08:07 AM
Well it excites me that there's so much upside to realize out of this team even after a 5-0 start...AND I get to watch Sam every Sunday!!

Landthief 1972
10/13/2010, 08:32 AM
I feel like this team is like the 07 team - a lot of talent, but not quite ready to put it all together, and then BAM! it all clicks the next year. If they are to get into the MNC this year, they have got to snuff out the 4th quarter hangover. Even though it's ISU, I think this game is a good test to see if the team has corrected some things in the off week. ISU can score on big plays, which plays into our biggest weakness on D. Should be interesting.

Soonermagik
10/13/2010, 08:45 AM
I just think there are a lot of young players on this team. These guys will continue to learn and grow.There's a tendency when we're up big for the D and O to go conservative, which could come back to haunt them. This is a coaching thing and they need to stop trying to chew the clock and finish teams, IMHO. We just don't have the D to use this philosophy.

The main thing to winning these games comes down to Jones being smart with the ball. When he makes mistakes he gets visually flustered and that's bad as the leader of the team. When he makes mistakes he needs to send the body language that all is okay and on the next drive he will make up for it. There are a lot of young players looking to see how Jones and other veterans react to adversity.

Make no mistake about it, this team has been lucky on some plays. Thankfully, the Whorns and Cincy muffed those punts late in the game to seal it. I would be nervous if this D was on the field for a last second drive to save the game.

Cornfed
10/13/2010, 09:20 AM
I think this year is a good team, but I beleive (hope it doesn't happen) that we will have one letdown this year.

Now next year, I feel will have "IT".

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2010, 09:54 AM
Whenever I start seeing guys loafing or playing lazy football I say yes....but as long as I keep seeing this team give 110 percent I will have to keep my prediction that this team will go undefeated. Hell, even when Landry fumbled the football he tried like hell to knock the ball out of bounds.

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2010, 09:55 AM
If this team goes to Mizzou and wins, I'll have a higher expectation

I havent seen them play this year, what problems do they pose?

soonercastor
10/13/2010, 10:06 AM
I havent seen them play this year, what problems do they pose?

road game.

tator
10/13/2010, 10:09 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xE581t29CVY/S60-2OuY3ZI/AAAAAAAADDI/7M2sDRGlTbw/s1600/PINK+Rose+Colored+Glasses.jpg

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2010, 10:09 AM
I'm with STEP - Mizzou on the road will be only the 2nd true road game and if we have not improved since Cincy, bad things man. I hope ISU shows we can close out a home game against an inferior team instead of letting them hang around like USU and AFA.

NormanPride
10/13/2010, 10:41 AM
Everyone forgets we play Iowa State this week. I know they're bad, but they also play US, who don't really know how to finish games.