PDA

View Full Version : No FSN on Dish Network?

Crimsontothecore
10/12/2010, 07:57 PM
Has anyone else noticed the Dish network message on the Fox sports channels? It says Fox has pulled the channels after demanding an outrageous rate increase. It also gives an 800 number and instructs viewers to call and ask for their stations back.
I'm really going to be ticked if I can't watch the OU game saturday.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2010, 08:02 PM
so you havent put it on fox sports in over two weeks??? i havent even had a chance to see if its a fsn game saturday, but if it is im gonna call and see if they will give it to me free on a pay per view channel. we just got dish a month and a half ago solely because it is football season. tdoubtful i will be successful but worth a shot.

sooner KB
10/12/2010, 08:05 PM
Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

Thank you for your recent communication regarding your channel.

We regret that FOX Networks, the owner of some Regional Sports Networks, FX and National Geographic Channel, removed their channels from the DISH Network line-up. FOX has demanded a rate increase of more than 50%. An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times.
We know these channels are important to you which is why during the FOX Sports lock-out, we're pleased to bring you 20 additional sports channels at no cost. We assure you that we are doing everything possible to restore these channels. In the meantime, you will not miss a single MLB playoff game or NFL Game. The Solutions Tab has a full list of alternative sports options available to you while we continue to negotiate with FOX.
DISH Network will continue to work tirelessly for a fair agreement in order to bring these channels back at the earliest possible time. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns by e-mailing us at [email protected]. We assure you that we will read every e-mail we receive.Thank you for your patience during this process and for being a valued DISH Network customer.
Sincerely,
DISH Network

Thought I'd share.

CrimsonJim
10/12/2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.jointhefightagainstfox.com/

Soonermagik
10/12/2010, 08:57 PM
Thankfully I have Directv... it's 10 times better than cox cable. That sucks that Dish is having that war with them.

badger
10/12/2010, 09:02 PM
We'd get Directv, but we've been to too many sports bars during Oklahoma storms and have nothing but error screens showing on all 200 televisions :eek:

oudavid1
10/12/2010, 09:28 PM
We'd get Directv, but we've been to too many sports bars during Oklahoma storms and have nothing but error screens showing on all 200 televisions :eek:

This is why i like cox

bluedogok
10/12/2010, 09:29 PM
They need to align their dishes then. I have had my HD dish up for five years (previous 7 with a SD dish) and this is the first year I have had trouble. It's because a tree has grown into the path of the signal that wasn't there when I first installed it 7.5 years ago. I need to move the dish away from the tree and all will be well again. I moved the old dish to two different houses in OKC and here to Austin and never had problems....

I also get all the Packer games....if I wanted to watch them :D

It can be a protracted thing, Versus was off Directv for something like 8-9 months, during the college and hockey seasons last year.

This is why i like cox
I went with Directv in 1998 when I lived in The Village because the cable would go out every time the wind would blow. It was Multimedia Cablevision back then and they did absolutely the bare minimum after the tornado went through that area and service was horrible. I know that Cox was typically better when I had it before then and MC was better in Edmond with the underground cabling but since I got Directv I will not go back to cable. The only cable that I have is for internet (Time Warner), I had Sprint Broadband Direct (fixed wireless) in OKC and liked it, it was about the fastest thing at the time but they didn't have it in Austin so I got cable internet when I moved.

Soonerfan88
10/12/2010, 09:35 PM
Since Murdoch sold off Directv, they will get hit with the same situation once their contract runs out. Time Warner just had this same fight with them as the new year rang in. At that time, Fox wanted $1 per subscriber in major markets and leave the smaller areas as is (IIRC many only 25¢) but I don't know how they finally settled. Now, Murdoch is asking for 50¢ for every subscriber in every market.

As a Time Warner subscriber then, I signed their petition to drop Fox as standard channels and make them an add-on package and would do the same for DISH if I were a customer. Ultimately, I think all tv providers will move to cafeteria packages - only pay for the channels you want.

Breadburner
10/12/2010, 09:36 PM
This is why i like cox

No suprise here.....

Okie35
10/12/2010, 10:49 PM
No suprise here.....

Hahaha, but really Cox is ok besides the fact when they forced ppl to go digital. I didn't fall into that category but I can see why ppl were upset.

TXBOOMER
10/12/2010, 10:53 PM
The game is on Dish Network. They are carrying it on one of their alternate sports channels 444 I believe. Go to their website and use the find my game feature. I called them to cancel and they saved me by informing me they are carrying the games we would miss on their alternate channels.

Widescreen
10/13/2010, 07:08 AM
The game is on Dish Network. They are carrying it on one of their alternate sports channels 444 I believe. Go to their website and use the find my game feature. I called them to cancel and they saved me by informing me they are carrying the games we would miss on their alternate channels.

I suspect you're going to be disappointed. In fact, I'll be shocked (but pleased) if that actually occurs.

I just ordered DirecTV last night (not specifically because of this) but they aren't installing until Monday so no help there.

Soonermagik
10/13/2010, 07:28 AM

I switched 4 months ago and I've only lost a signal for a few minutes... one time. It was during a monsoon type rain, not just a little drizzle. There is a huge myth that a cloud or little rain will lose a signal, which is not true. I'm willing to lose a signal for a minute to save $60+ a month and have more channels. To each their own. :)

1890MilesToNorman
10/13/2010, 07:41 AM
This Fox vs. Dish **** is pissing me off. I think I will also demand they provide a free PPV feed this Saturday, if not they can take my 2 Dish accounts and shove them up their ***.

swardboy
10/13/2010, 07:53 AM

Didn't happen for the Mizzou game last Saturday. Channel 447 said it was carrying it but no such thing.

I went to ATDHE.NET and watched on my computer. Had to download a 'veetle' application, but no problem. That's what I'll do again this Saturday if necessary.

The Maestro
10/13/2010, 07:57 AM
Pretty good chance channels 9664, 9665 and 9666 are gonna have the game on Saturday. It shows on the guide they are. Also shows Missouri and Texas A&M earlier in the day so I figure if that game is on the OU game will be, too.

I work for Dish and trust me, it's nuts...Murdoch owns 34% of Hughes Corp., the parent company of Direct TV...so the battle will be ongoing. But he also is not dumb enough to want to lose 15 million eyes on commercials. As it stands, stay tuned. Come November 1st, Fox News and Fox Network may go bye bye...I mean, no one watches those channels, right?!?!?!?!

I'm not the CEO, just the messenger. If it were me I'd just raise the rates and let customers know it is Fox's doing. I mean, 2 more dollars from probably 10 million customers that have the 120+ or higher seems like a good fix.

badger
10/13/2010, 07:59 AM
Ultimately, I think all tv providers will move to cafeteria packages - only pay for the channels you want.

And then cable costs will skyrocket even higher :mad:

I think I once heard that cable wasn't this expensive... I think it's one of those "back in the good ol' days" fairy tales the grandparents like to tell us kids :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2010, 08:13 AM
And then cable costs will skyrocket even higher :mad:

I think I once heard that cable wasn't this expensive... I think it's one of those "back in the good ol' days" fairy tales the grandparents like to tell us kids :rolleyes:

My cable bill when I was a sophomore at OU was $24/month.

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 08:20 AM
I'm not getting something. The game is on ABC. What is everyone worried about this week?

The Maestro
10/13/2010, 08:29 AM
I'm not getting something. The game is on ABC. What is everyone worried about this week?

Just tune in to ABC and you sure won't be getting something...like the OU game.

1890MilesToNorman
10/13/2010, 08:32 AM
Not on ABC according to my listings, FSN, you know, the **** I don't get any more.

Mississippi Sooner
10/13/2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not going to take the chance that the game will be on one of the "alternate" channels. Last weekend, I went through all of the other channels that were showing the Big XII games, and every one of them said "this game is not available in your area." We'll just head down to the sports bar, which I know uses Directv, and drink overpriced beer.

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 08:37 AM
Am I taking crazy pills? How can an embargo on Fox keep you from watching a game on ABC?

Mississippi Sooner
10/13/2010, 08:40 AM
Am I taking crazy pills? How can an embargo on Fox keep you from watching a game on ABC?

The Missouri game next week will be on ABC. The Iowa State game this week is on Fox Sports Net.

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 08:41 AM
Ohhh...damn! I was thinking ahead to Mizzou. My bad. Ok, so yeah, that does suck.

SoonerLVZ
10/13/2010, 08:41 AM

The game is one FSN not ABC.... at least according to SoonerSports.com

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2010, 10:14 AM
So, to be clear, do I still get ABC on Comcast?

texas bandman
10/13/2010, 10:31 AM
I'll be watching the game on U verse. I had Dish and hated that the signal went out during rain, snow, etc. I really like my U verse.

olevetonahill
10/13/2010, 10:37 AM
I gots DirecTeeVee, The only times I have lost signal Is during very severe Thunderstorms Usually only out a few minutes , Longest was around 10 But that was one bad sombitchin Storm .
I d lose it some, in Snow or Ice . But a Bucket of Hot water on the Dish cures that **** right up ;)

soonerborn30
10/13/2010, 10:50 AM
I'll be watching the game on U verse. I had Dish and hated that the signal went out during rain, snow, etc. I really like my U verse.

Do you have any problems with DVR? I have a coworker that's had multiple problems with her Uverse service. Maybe because they just started providing it here. I don't know. Do you have the HD package?

badger
10/13/2010, 10:55 AM
I really think this Fox thing is the angst from networks over the fact that people have such a wide selection of content to choose from that old free TV that had syndicates in every mid-major city in America are suddenly not drawing 10 million viewers a night for their crappy sitcoms and as such, aren't getting the ad revenue that they are accustomed to.

So, in reasoning that will escape most brained creatures, the best way to get back at people for not watching their shows as much as they used to is to give them the finger and say "Haha! NOW you can't watch your football team! HAHA!"

But let's face it - as soon as the remaining Big 12 schools can get a new TV contract, we all hope they aren't with Fox Sports Net. Their HD sucks, their commentary is meh and yeah, some of you can't even watch the network on your cable company now.

texas bandman
10/13/2010, 12:07 PM
Do you have any problems with DVR? I have a coworker that's had multiple problems with her Uverse service. Maybe because they just started providing it here. I don't know. Do you have the HD package?

No problems with the DVR and I have the HD package with the added sports package so that I get all the Fox Sports channels. The only problem is there is at least one Fox sports channel that is not HD. I had to watch the Tech/ Iowa State game in regular def and it sucked. I hope that OU's game this week is on an HD fox channel.

As a side note Rupert Murdock is a doush! I hope the Big XII - 2 doesn't renew their TV contract with Fox.

Widescreen
10/13/2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not the CEO, just the messenger. If it were me I'd just raise the rates and let customers know it is Fox's doing. I mean, 2 more dollars from probably 10 million customers that have the 120+ or higher seems like a good fix.

That sounds like a terrible strategy. That's like paying the terrorist's ransom and then telling everyone "well, terrorists are bad people". It sets a terrible precedent and Fox and other programmers will continue to behave badly when contract negotiations come up.

jkjsooner
10/13/2010, 12:36 PM
We definitely need ala carte TV. I recognize that I may pay a lot more for each individual channel in an ala carte setup but I would make up for it by only buying 1/10th of the channels. If the network architecture allowed it, I could also save precious bandwidth which would allow a higher quality (less compressed) signal to my house (Comcast).

It's getting absurd with various channels fighting with various service providers. The way things are going we will have to buy service from multiple providers just to make sure we get the channels we want.

In the ala carte system, Murdoch would charge what he wants and the subscriber would make the decision directly whether he or she is willing to pay for the channel. The service provider would simply charge a per channel and/or a flat service fee.

My cable bill in college was less than $20 a month I believe. This was in the early '90s so there were no HDTV or DVR's.

red2008
10/13/2010, 12:48 PM
I have Dish and it's really turning into a joke. I paid for insurance on my equipment but they will not send out any installers except for new installations. Think I am chainging to AT&T so I can at least have the Yankee network.

TXBOOMER
10/13/2010, 02:40 PM
I suspect you're going to be disappointed. In fact, I'll be shocked (but pleased) if that actually occurs.

I just ordered DirecTV last night (not specifically because of this) but they aren't installing until Monday so no help there.

It is on the schedule on their website. I will be watching at a friend's house who has Direct TV just in case.

Scott D
10/13/2010, 02:51 PM
Truthfully, we could sit here all day and talk about the sports channels that Dish doesn't offer to their customers even in a sports tier.

Also, unless this dispute is ended by November 1st (which I doubt), any Dish users that have local channels as part of their package are going to lose access to their local Fox affiliate along with Fox News Channel.

I think the only provider that is going to be safe from the "Fox Terrorism Tactics" is probably Comcast, because they have a shared agreement allowing FSN and CSN channels to coexist.

soonerboomer93
10/13/2010, 02:57 PM
Pretty good chance channels 9664, 9665 and 9666 are gonna have the game on Saturday. It shows on the guide they are. Also shows Missouri and Texas A&M earlier in the day so I figure if that game is on the OU game will be, too.

I work for Dish and trust me, it's nuts...Murdoch owns 34% of Hughes Corp., the parent company of Direct TV...so the battle will be ongoing. But he also is not dumb enough to want to lose 15 million eyes on commercials. As it stands, stay tuned. Come November 1st, Fox News and Fox Network may go bye bye...I mean, no one watches those channels, right?!?!?!?!

Dish won't raise the rates though, because of the snowball effect on them. If they raise for Fox, then they have to raise the rate for other channels. They got in a similar fight when I worked for them and we lost some channels for a couple weeks.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/13/2010, 02:57 PM
The Maestro works for Dish?

BAN HIM, MODS!!!!

47straight
10/13/2010, 03:04 PM
Whatever dish can't figure out, AT&T figured out.

Hornkiller
10/13/2010, 05:14 PM
We definitely need ala carte TV. I recognize that I may pay a lot more for each individual channel in an ala carte setup but I would make up for it by only buying 1/10th of the channels. If the network architecture allowed it, I could also save precious bandwidth which would allow a higher quality (less compressed) signal to my house (Comcast).

It's getting absurd with various channels fighting with various service providers. The way things are going we will have to buy service from multiple providers just to make sure we get the channels we want.

In the ala carte system, Murdoch would charge what he wants and the subscriber would make the decision directly whether he or she is willing to pay for the channel. The service provider would simply charge a per channel and/or a flat service fee.

My cable bill in college was less than $20 a month I believe. This was in the early '90s so there were no HDTV or DVR's.

But Murdoch and other owners won't let it happen.

All the major owners of TV stations (and all network stations parent companies own a vast amount of cable stations) want everyone to have every network they currently have and every one on the table?

Why? Because the average household watches 19 networks now. The number advertisers are being pitched is how many networks they can see their message on. Not just "this show is the biggest one on TV. So the more Households they reach, the more valuable their family of networks is.

So Fox will never let you have say FSN and Fox News without Fox Broadcast, National Geographic and FX. Because even if you never watch those networks they'll tell advertisers they are reaching your home.

Maranatha
10/13/2010, 06:52 PM
Folks, I talked to a technician for dish in the field today and ask him what his gut feeling was about dish and fox getting a deal before saturday and he said no way was that going to happen. He also added that he doesn't think dish will ever carry foxsports again.

TXBOOMER
10/13/2010, 07:04 PM
I called them again and once again they said the game would be broadcasted in my zip code 76210 on one of their alternate sports network. Put your zip code in the find my game application on their website. If it ain't on I will have Dish Network cut off on Monday.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/WheresMyGame/default.aspx

swardboy
10/13/2010, 07:40 PM
Also, unless this dispute is ended by November 1st (which I doubt), any Dish users that have local channels as part of their package are going to lose access to their local Fox affiliate along with Fox News Channel.

Gah! No more Sam Bradford? Now I"m gettin' real pizzed.

Scott D
10/14/2010, 02:02 AM
I called them again and once again they said the game would be broadcasted in my zip code 76210 on one of their alternate sports network. Put your zip code in the find my game application on their website. If it ain't on I will have Dish Network cut off on Monday.

I'm going to guess by alternate sports network that's sort of code for the fact that there will be a couple of the CSN (Comcast Sports Network) stations that will be carrying the game.

en4cer
10/14/2010, 10:17 AM
I read this on another forum concerning the loss of the local fox stations.
Doesn't help with the current foxsport mess though. I'll stick it out with Dish for another week but if its not resolved i'm looking at dtv. I'm not under a contract so thats not a problem.

- go to Fox's and their website on the negotiation and she pretty much told me that reading both I can get the real deal by meeting in the middle of both biased versions of the story.
- she told me that the there is no risk of losing the fox locals because they are negotiated with a different company (still related to Fox's parent company obviously) and this is scare tactics and when I asked about the negotiations she said that customer service is being told by "them" that things are looking good but no timetables are being given.

1890MilesToNorman
10/14/2010, 10:24 AM

You da man and SPEK!! It is on 444 up here in Maine. Thank you.

Soonerwake
10/14/2010, 10:38 AM
Just got off the phone with Dish. I was told that the game would not be broadcast in the OKC area on any channel. :mad:

Yeah for season tickets.. :D

en4cer
10/14/2010, 10:50 AM
You da man and SPEK!! It is on 444 up here in Maine. Thank you.

I hope your right. I just checked my zip off the dish game finder and it shows channel 444 also along with a few others. The problem is if you check the guide, the game is showing as being blacked out.

This is the same thing as last weekend. Games were listed on different channels but when I tuned in they were blacked out.

For what its worth, I have dishes everything package along with the added sports package.

I'm going to Norman Saturday so i'm not worried about this weekend, but its gonna be a problem in the coming weeks if its not fixed.

Mississippi Sooner
10/14/2010, 10:53 AM
I hope your right. I just checked my zip off the dish game finder and it shows channel 444 also along with a few others. The problem is if you check the guide, the game is showing as being blacked out.

This is the same thing as last weekend. Games were listed on different channels but when I tuned in they were blacked out.

For what its worth, I have dishes everything package along with the added sports package.

I'm going to Norman Saturday so i'm not worried about this weekend, but its gonna be a problem in the coming weeks if its not fixed.

I had the same experience last weekend. That's why I'm taking it with a grain of salt. For now, I'm making plans to go see the game at a sports bar. Gonna have to get there early, though, because I believe Miss. State, Ole Miss and Bama all have games at that time, too.

1890MilesToNorman
10/14/2010, 11:12 AM

The game was listed 4 times in my guide, 3 of them said black out and the 4th let me set the DVR on it. I am assuming that means it ain't blacked out?

madillsoonerfan5353
10/14/2010, 11:17 AM
The game was listed 4 times in my guide, 3 of them said black out and the 4th let me set the DVR on it. I am assuming that means it ain't blacked out?

Yeah but when it gets closer to game time the guide will refresh and it will say Important Info. I set my DVR on 444 to, so we'll see I guess? Thank Gawd for Season Tickets.

:gary:

1890MilesToNorman
10/14/2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah but when it gets closer to game time the guide will refresh and it will say Important Info. I set my DVR on 444 to, so we'll see I guess? Thank Gawd for Season Tickets.

:gary:

That would suck and prompt a call to DirectTV ASAP.

en4cer
10/14/2010, 11:36 AM
Tonights ku/ksu game is shown to be blacked out on a couple of alternate channels here. However, csnne 435 is not. We shall see.