PDA

View Full Version : I need a good chicken fried steak receipe...

royalfan5
10/12/2010, 12:25 PM
Any of you got one?

olevetonahill
10/12/2010, 01:37 PM
Mix ya up some milk , egg , salt and pepper to taste I use lowerys seasoning salt also. Mix all that up good
Drag yer steak in it . Then flour. then repeat fer extry batter. Deep fry
Fer the Gravy just make reg gravy but I also add in some chicken base or Bouillon. Gives the gravy a Chicken flavor

SoonerJack
10/12/2010, 01:42 PM
I'm all over this.

Here's what you need:

base - tenderized round steak

wash - 2 eggs 2 tablespoons of milk salt & pepper

coating - crushed saltine crackers, not pulverized, but bashed pretty good.

electric skillet or big frying pan with about a 1/4" of hot oil in it

Cut the steak into strips about an inch wide (or whatever size you prefer)

Dip the steak in the egg/milk wash real good and then dredge it in the crackers (you can repeat this step if you really like the coating part)

Place the meat into the hot oil for a few minutes on each side. Be careful turning them bc you don't want to peel off the coating when you do it, and you don't want to splash yourself with hot oil.

I usually also have the oven on 200 or so and a cookie sheet with a drying rack in there. That way you can keep the meat hot without it lying about on a paper towel while your making the gravy or seasoning the mashed potatoes or waiting for everyone to come to the table.

Oh, and I recommend Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce to top the meat. It's awesome.

Let me know if you want to know how to make white gravy too.

SoonerJack
10/12/2010, 01:43 PM
do not use Olevet's recipe with just flour for the coating. SACRILEGE.

Sorry, Vet.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/12/2010, 01:49 PM
Mix ya up some milk , egg , salt and pepper to taste I use lowerys seasoning salt also. Mix all that up good

This is good advice. But I'd add a lil' something, too.

Ever had a chicken fry where the batter was just amazing, but the steak tasted like bland ***? I have and I've had it the other way around. So season your meat. Take care to balance your flavors and don't oversalt, but a lil' worcestershire, maybe some garlic, a lil' black pepper, nothing too fancy and your meat will start out with quality flavor before you ever get to the breading.

Secondly, sloooooow down. 325 degrees on your oil, tops. I'm personally a cast iron skillet guy and will lay those slabs down and let 'em take plenty of time to gin. This'll help two-fold. The obvious, you'll get a good, thorough cook without scorching your batter, but it also lets that batter fry into that thick, golden, crunchy awesomeness that makes a good chicken fry as opposed to a thin, greasy coating. All that AND if you got a mess of 'em to cook, the batter that inevitably falls off your steaks doesn't burn nearly as fast, leaving fairly clean oil for gravy and no nasty burned taste on your steaks.

Fer the Gravy just make reg gravy but I also add in some chicken base or Bouillon. Gives the gravy a Chicken flavor

This is quality advice. Been doing this for awhile myself and it's lights out. Different, so if you're a straight pan gravy kinda guy, make some and try it first.

ouleaf
10/12/2010, 02:08 PM
1/2 inch thick sliced bottom round, tenderized with a meat mallet, seasoned with a little salt and pepper

AP flour seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

Mix eggs, buttermilk, hotsauce to taste, and more S&P.

Dip steaks in flour, egg mix, then flour again and shake off excess.

Place the battered steaks on a rack in the fridge for about 20 minutes(weird, but trust me it's worth it)

Heat cast iron skillet with about 2" of vegetable oil to 360. Fry steaks about 3-4 mins per side til golden. Drain on paper towels.

Gravy: little bit of flour, chicken stock, and milk. Salt, Pepper, Hot sauce to taste.

soonerbrat
10/12/2010, 02:51 PM
I'm all over this.

Here's what you need:

base - tenderized round steak

wash - 2 eggs 2 tablespoons of milk salt & pepper

coating - crushed saltine crackers, not pulverized, but bashed pretty good.

electric skillet or big frying pan with about a 1/4" of hot oil in it

Cut the steak into strips about an inch wide (or whatever size you prefer)

Dip the steak in the egg/milk wash real good and then dredge it in the crackers (you can repeat this step if you really like the coating part)

Place the meat into the hot oil for a few minutes on each side. Be careful turning them bc you don't want to peel off the coating when you do it, and you don't want to splash yourself with hot oil.

I usually also have the oven on 200 or so and a cookie sheet with a drying rack in there. That way you can keep the meat hot without it lying about on a paper towel while your making the gravy or seasoning the mashed potatoes or waiting for everyone to come to the table.

Oh, and I recommend Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce to top the meat. It's awesome.

Let me know if you want to know how to make white gravy too.

that's how i do it..with crackers...delishus.

tator
10/12/2010, 03:13 PM
1. Travel to Goldie's
2. Order CFS
3. Enjoy

SoonerJack
10/12/2010, 03:29 PM

See? Listen to brat. She knows what she's talkin' about.

Re: gravy. Yes to the chicken stock to deglaze.

Re: batter. I'd probably do it this way if I used a real deep fryer.

soonerbrat
10/12/2010, 03:34 PM
i dredge it in seasoned flour before the egg wash tho.

SoonerJack
10/12/2010, 03:44 PM
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Tulsa_Fireman
10/12/2010, 03:45 PM
i dredge it in seasoned flour before the egg wash tho.

This.

Flour, egg, flour, repeat as necessary.

olevetonahill
10/12/2010, 04:05 PM
Ok dont use Mine , IDGAS :P
Served em in my last restaurant, Folks seemed to like em alot
I did fry em in a Deep fryer tho. I make em at the shack and use a Fry daddy . And as has been said DONT get the grease to hot . ;)

btk108
10/12/2010, 04:33 PM

kinky :eek:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/12/2010, 04:36 PM

Beef steak or possum steak?

olevetonahill
10/12/2010, 04:48 PM
Beef steak or possum steak?

Every one knows ya caint fry possum:rolleyes: its to tuff, ya either Bake it slow or boil it ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/12/2010, 05:15 PM
And get all the fat off of it or else it's too gamey.