PDA

View Full Version : ESPN BCS Prediction

JLMSOONER
10/11/2010, 09:55 PM
Did anyone see ESPN's first BCS bowl prediction? Sooners #4...barely ahead of tosu. I saw apost on here last week showing our strength of schedule pulling us up farther. Has Boise really had that difficult of a schedule?

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2010, 10:14 PM
It looks good to computers right now, but that won't last.

VA Sooner
10/11/2010, 10:51 PM
Will change all season with strength of schedule, wins/losses by all kinds of teams. Too early to tell.

Tigeman
10/11/2010, 10:55 PM
Has Boise really had that difficult of a schedule?

Zona beat Iowa => Oregon St. beat little Stoops => BSU beat OSU .... computer sees that as BSU is pretty decent. Add in the human polls and you get to what we see now.

Mississippi Sooner
10/12/2010, 07:49 AM
Yep, it's sorta like the early primaries in the presidential race. Very easy to read too much into it. Let the season go on a bit longer, and Boise's schedule will only look worse to the computers.

tooslow
10/12/2010, 10:27 AM
Yep, as others have mentioned, Boise will be losing steam in the computer polls once they are into conference play. Even if Nevada's only loss is to Boise, it will not be enough to keep them in the top 4-5, UNLESS the big boys start losing more than a game. For example, if Bama wins out, they will be ahead of Boise in the final BCS rankings.

MeMyself&Me
10/12/2010, 10:31 AM
Yup, 1-loss AQ teams are good to keep Boise down. The more there are, the lower they'll be in their computer average. The lower they are in the computer average, the harder it will be for the voters to put them in the champ game.

Boise only looks good now cause they shot their wad (schedule strength wise) early in the season.

sooner94
10/12/2010, 07:20 PM
Yep, as others have mentioned, Boise will be losing steam in the computer polls once they are into conference play. Even if Nevada's only loss is to Boise, it will not be enough to keep them in the top 4-5, UNLESS the big boys start losing more than a game. For example, if Bama wins out, they will be ahead of Boise in the final BCS rankings.

Well said.

You know what's funny, is if TCU and Boise get left in the cold and complain loud enough, do you think they may campaign to remove strength of schedule (reflected in the computer polls) from the equation?

Two interesting things about that. We would be basically back to the old system of vote-driven rankings. And I would love to hear the WAC teams say "Yeah we don't play a tough schedule but we're still really good."

jumperstop
10/12/2010, 07:28 PM
Ohh, I can already hear the espin talking heads after BSU is number 1 in the first BCS.

bluedogok
10/12/2010, 09:47 PM
I don't pay any attention to all of that crap until much later in the season....like conference championship weekend. Before then it's just a fluff job....

Cornfed
10/13/2010, 10:05 AM
All of this means nothing until the 2nd week of December.

85sooners
10/13/2010, 02:07 PM
boise will smash anyone in the nation!!