oumartin
10/11/2010, 12:55 PM
Spencer Tillman mentioned this possibility this morning on the radio

DenverSooner751
10/11/2010, 01:04 PM
Would be interesting

OU Engineer
10/11/2010, 01:05 PM
Rumor I heard was that if Muschamp gets recruited hard enough, * will force Mack out (possibly forced retirement) and give Muschamp the head coaching job...

NCarolinaSooner
10/11/2010, 01:24 PM
That would stun me. Most Carolina fans harbor deep ill will towards Mack for leaving.

badger
10/11/2010, 01:24 PM
I made this yesterday and it's worth reposting here:

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/966766a9-7b6f-42af-8ba8-a21193a3cb70/output.gif

Why fight over coaches who currently sit at 3-2, both losses came from two famous texas phrases:

1- DOUBLE DIGIT
2- NEUTRAL LOCATION!

See, whorn? Can be used against you too! :P

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:46 PM
That would stun me. Most Carolina fans harbor deep ill will towards Mack for leaving.

Sure, but that was a long time ago. And UNC fans have a lot more to worry about. Mack would do the school good. He would make an excellent AD

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2010, 01:47 PM
Love it, badger.

badger
10/11/2010, 02:21 PM
Love it, badger.

thanks... though i'm sure some will say that compliments from you may not be compliments ;)

i promise to update after they lose to nebbish ;)

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2010, 02:24 PM
thanks... though i'm sure some will say that compliments from you may not be compliments ;)

i promise to update after they lose to nebbish ;)

That reminds me - where is Lid lately? Did you make him an avatar for this year?

ouduckhunter
10/11/2010, 02:37 PM
Has the makings for a good poll, or a good soap opera: Mack, will he go, or will he stay now!

I'm telling ya, there is a Tennessee style melt down coming in the Whorns future!! Whether they're rioting because Mack leaves, or Muschump leaves, it doesn't matter, cuz it's coming! And I'm going to be front and center enjoying it!! :D

texaspokieokie
10/11/2010, 02:45 PM
I made this yesterday and it's worth reposting here:

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/966766a9-7b6f-42af-8ba8-a21193a3cb70/output.gif

Why fight over coaches who currently sit at 3-2, both losses came from two famous texas phrases:

1- DOUBLE DIGIT
2- NEUTRAL LOCATION!

See, whorn? Can be used against you too! :P

seems like they were in bcs bowl, earlier this year.

badger
10/11/2010, 02:48 PM
That reminds me - where is Lid lately? Did you make him an avatar for this year?

Nah - we didn't do that this year. We last did that two years ago I think, which he just copped out and gave me a whorn logo. I gave him a talking barrel (with the lid of the barrel doing the talking) saying "I miss Vince!" the year before.

The avvie bet craze kind of wore off after the epic one involving three of us (HskrGrl, Lid and me) before the 2006 OU-OSU game and A&M/Whorn game. The bet was that the Big 12 winner would chose avvies for the other two or something. It was the end-result of one of my long-winded tirades that finished up something like "You lose to Aggie, we beat our Aggy and go win the Big 12 and you go to the Holiday Bowl... again. Haha."

Mark_in_Tulsa
10/11/2010, 03:08 PM
Has the makings for a good poll, or a good soap opera: Mack, will he go, or will he stay now!

I'm telling ya, there is a Tennessee style melt down coming in the Whorns future!! Whether they're rioting because Mack leaves, or Muschump leaves, it doesn't matter, cuz it's coming! And I'm going to be front and center enjoying it!! :D

Excuse me both for being well endowed and ignorant on this, but what is this referring to?

badger
10/11/2010, 03:15 PM
Excuse me both for being well endowed and ignorant on this, but what is this referring to?

Let's see if I can tell this story in under 100 words...

Lane Kiffin was only at Tennessee for one year before bolting for his self-proclaimed "dream job" at USC. Rocky Top was so furious when they heard the rumors were true that they were blocking streets on campus to make sure he couldn't leave. I think there was some burning of pictures and stuff et al as well.

But, Kiffiekins was already out by the time the angry orange mob assembled in Knoxville, because the Tennessee athletic department ordered an embargo on Lane's final press conference (TV was forbidden from showing it live so that the mob would't know Kiffin was still on campus).

There are youtube videos out of the final conference and the media being angry at him as well (Kiffin wouldn't answer questions, he just said "difficult choice" and left).

I think if Mussie were to bolt Texas the same way Lane did (unexpectantly, with the head coach's position essentially in his back pocket, and after only a short stay at UT), whorns, too, would be rioting in their own weird Austin way

oumartin
10/11/2010, 03:15 PM

they way they acted after kiffin left after one year

badger
10/11/2010, 03:18 PM
they way they acted after kiffin left after one year

short and to the point. i should learn that eventually:D

Another funny Kiffin story on the way he left - while he was saying G2G to his players at Tennessee, the players could heard Ed Orgeron (please tell me you've seen his Hummer ad) calling recruits and telling them not to show up to class so that they could de-commit from the vols and come with the coaches to USC. Needless to say, d00shbaggery all around.

olevetonahill
10/11/2010, 04:00 PM
Why use only 10 words when ya can use a 100 :P

badger
10/11/2010, 04:15 PM
I'm retiring my gif tonite to trash Iowa State instead. That's how worthless Texas/Mack/Muschamp are right now.

stoopified
10/11/2010, 04:35 PM
I never have understood the defnsive genuis tag fo Muschump....or for that matter Bill Young.

Jacie
10/11/2010, 06:29 PM
I never have understood the defnsive genuis tag fo Muschump....or for that matter Bill Young.

Because he yells a lot . . .

Seriously, he has had decent stock to work with (Auburn was his previous job?), though as we've seen (most recently at sa*et!) that is no guarantee the individuals will develop into an effective unit.

DenverSooner751
10/11/2010, 08:33 PM
Mike Leech will be the next D-CO at Texas if any of this happens. LOL

TXBOOMER
10/11/2010, 09:53 PM
Let me get this straight. They play for the NC last year, lose good players, lose a couple of games and they are ready to run Mack out of town. As$tards.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2010, 01:16 AM
Let me get this straight. They play for the NC last year, lose good players, lose a couple of games and they are ready to run Mack out of town. As$tards.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

They think they have the reincarnation of Bear Bryant waiting in the wings.

rainiersooner
10/12/2010, 01:38 AM
I hate them.

yermom
10/12/2010, 01:50 AM
it would be just hilarious if Maschump sucked though

Crucifax Autumn
10/12/2010, 02:33 AM
It's what I'll be hoping for.

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2010, 08:45 AM

Uh.. not so much.

If you take the moran, under 30 year old, self-important, sense of entitlement, bandwagon fan out of the mixture.. you have 3 intertubz dweebs left who are calling for Mack's head..that is when they aren't playing Deathstalker 12 on PS3.

King Barry's Back
10/12/2010, 09:08 AM
This thread is fail.

No one is going to fire a coach that went to the National Title game, and went undefeated in getting there, LAST YEAR. (Not to mention he just WON a national title a few years back.)

And no one is going to riot over an assistant coach leaving to become a head coach, especially not at a major football school like Georgia.

KantoSooner
10/12/2010, 09:30 AM
Whoever hires Mudchump as a head coach will have a very rude awakening. He is, quite simply, not ready. And might not ever be; we'll have to see. Did anyone else watch him during the RRS? He was one bumfuzzled young man. And didn't seem able to shake it off.
If your make up is either vein popping tirade or deer-in-the-headlights, you're not ready to lead.
So, let's hope Urban decides to hang it up and Mudchump goes to Flowduh.

humblesooner
10/12/2010, 09:35 AM
Let's see if I can tell this story in under 100 words...

The first paragraph was under 100 words. :D

oumartin
10/12/2010, 09:39 AM
This thread is fail.

No one is going to fire a coach that went to the National Title game, and went undefeated in getting there, LAST YEAR. (Not to mention he just WON a national title a few years back.)

And no one is going to riot over an assistant coach leaving to become a head coach, especially not at a major football school like Georgia.

well the muschump to georgia makes this thread not fail. so your post = fail

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2010, 09:43 AM
Rumor I heard was that if Muschamp gets recruited hard enough, * will force Mack out (possibly forced retirement) and give Muschamp the head coaching job...

And that would be yet another stupid move for Texas.

As much as we like to poke fun at ol yeller teeth, he is a rather successful coach anywhere he goes and is the the winningest coach in Texas history.

badger
10/12/2010, 10:27 AM

Yet they are talking about :les: deserving to get ousted when his team is undefeated and he won the national title only a few years ago. Why? Well, the same reasoning could be applied to :mack:

1- Nobody believes :mack: won the title, much like nobody believes :les: won the title. Vince Young did by mcscrambling his way to victory. In :les:'s case, it was Saban's players.

2- Much likes LSU fans think they could win without :les:'s clock mismanagement due to their top (and new!) shiny facilities and fertile recruiting ground, Hook em fans think they could continue to win 10 games and compete for titles without :mack: around... because of their top facilities and recruiting grounds.

In the case of :mack: and :mack: alone, look at Bobby Bowden. They didn't fire him, they just told him that they weren't going to let him come back as head coach because they had a head-coach-in-waiting and an impatient fanbase. So, the ultimatum was to either be a token figurehead or retire. Bobby chose retirement. :mack: probably would too, but there will be no "firing" involved at Hook em.

texaspokieokie
10/12/2010, 10:34 AM
yeah, but mack isn't nearly as old as bobby.

if anyone needs to retire, it's Joe Pat he should move over & let a younger guy take over. they need a fresh start.

did VY win the championship all by himself ?? did the other players & coaches contribute nothing ???

badger
10/12/2010, 10:47 AM
did VY win the championship all by himself ?? did the other players & coaches contribute nothing ???

Yup, pretty much. ;)

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2010, 10:58 AM

yeah.. the 20 or so players from that 2005 championship team who are playing in the NFL had nothing to do with it.

Tigeman
10/12/2010, 11:01 AM
This thread is fail.

Fulmer!

Jacie
10/12/2010, 11:01 AM
In the case of :mack: and :mack: alone, look at Bobby Bowden. They didn't fire him, they just told him that they weren't going to let him come back as head coach because they had a head-coach-in-waiting and an impatient fanbase. So, the ultimatum was to either be a token figurehead or retire. Bobby chose retirement.

If the phrase, "Addition by subtraction" ever made sense, then here is a perfect example. Jimbo has coached em to 5-1 (all W's by double-digit margins, beaten a rival and has his team solidly atop the ACC standings.

I suppose somewhere out there the three fans still in the Bobby B. camp would argue that he would have beaten Oklahoma . . .

badger
10/12/2010, 11:02 AM
I was being sarcastic in case you didn't notice the winkie... but since Lid brought it up, :mack: apparently had 20 or so players who are playing in the NFL during that season, so that just continues the argument that :mack: wasn't the reason Hook em won the 05 title.

Jacie
10/12/2010, 11:05 AM
yeah.. the 20 or so players from that 2005 championship team who are playing in the NFL had nothing to do with it.

Splitting hairs is so much fun!

The argument, as if you didn't know this already, Vinnie was the catalyst, the tipping point, the proverbial straw, the player sa*et (or any championship team) needed to get them over the hump, that extra oomph when a little extra oomph was what it took to win a game. And Vinnie's just don't come along that often.

Whew!

oumartin
10/12/2010, 11:16 AM

Lid, I like ya and all but c'mon. 20? :D

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2010, 12:28 PM
Lid, I like ya and all but c'mon. 20? :D

Besides VY, five other Longhorns from this championship team joined professional teams through the 2006 NFL Draft – Michael Huff , Cedric Griffin, David Thomas , Jonathan Scott and Rodrique Wright . Ahmard Hall signed as a free agent. (7 total)

One year later, seven more members of this team were selected in the 2007 NFL Draft – Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Justin Blalock , Tim Crowder, Brian Robison, Tarell Brown, Kasey Studdard. Lyle Sendlein and Selvin Young were not drafted but signed with NFL teams as free agents. (9 total)

In the 2008 NFL Draft, five more Longhorns from this team were selected: Limas Sweed, Jamaal Charles, Jermichael Finley) Tony Hills, and Frank Okam In addition, Brandon Foster, Marcus Griffin, Nate Jones and Derek Lokey agreed to sign free-agent contracts with NFL teams. (9 total)

Sorry.. I was wrong.

It was actually 26. ;)

fwsooner22
10/12/2010, 12:30 PM
Besides VY, five other Longhorns from this championship team joined professional teams through the 2006 NFL Draft – Michael Huff , Cedric Griffin, David Thomas , Jonathan Scott and Rodrique Wright . Ahmard Hall signed as a free agent. (7 total)

One year later, seven more members of this team were selected in the 2007 NFL Draft – Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Justin Blalock , Tim Crowder, Brian Robison, Tarell Brown, Kasey Studdard. Lyle Sendlein and Selvin Young were not drafted but signed with NFL teams as free agents. (9 total)

In the 2008 NFL Draft, five more Longhorns from this team were selected: Limas Sweed, Jamaal Charles, Jermichael Finley) Tony Hills, and Frank Okam In addition, Brandon Foster, Marcus Griffin, Nate Jones and Derek Lokey agreed to sign free-agent contracts with NFL teams. (9 total)

Sorry.. I was wrong.

It was actually 26. ;)

And that group had 4 Big 12 Championships and 3 National Titles. Oh wait....Sorry

oumartin
10/12/2010, 12:32 PM
With all that talent maybe Mack does suck

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2010, 12:34 PM
Yet they are talking about :les: deserving to get ousted when his team is undefeated and he won the national title only a few years ago. Why? Well, the same reasoning could be applied to :mack:

1- Nobody believes :mack: won the title, much like nobody believes :les: won the title. Vince Young did by mcscrambling his way to victory. In :les:'s case, it was Saban's players.

Actually, Mack's recruiting of those players, having them develop and putting them in a system that utilized their talent resulted in the MNC. A lot of talent on that team. A LOT.

2- Much likes LSU fans think they could win without :les:'s clock mismanagement due to their top (and new!) shiny facilities and fertile recruiting ground, Hook em fans think they could continue to win 10 games and compete for titles without :mack: around... because of their top facilities and recruiting grounds.

Only the ignant ones. For those of us who weren't in diapers in 1995, we know very easily without the right person in place, a slide to mediocrity is very possible.. especially with so many other programs rising from mediocrity because of the increased number of quality high school programs, scholarship limitations, added television exposure to more programs.

In the case of :mack: and :mack: alone, look at Bobby Bowden. They didn't fire him, they just told him that they weren't going to let him come back as head coach because they had a head-coach-in-waiting and an impatient fanbase. So, the ultimatum was to either be a token figurehead or retire. Bobby chose retirement. :mack: probably would too, but there will be no "firing" involved at Hook em.

What the "oh whoa is us youngsters at UT fail to grasp is that Mack is highly regarded by Belmont and the older alums. He is responsible for bringing millions of dollars into the university... He has established ties with Texas high school coaches and is a great spokesman for the school. There hasn't been a hint of any NCAA wrongdoing and he is well liked. Lose two games (only one of which is a head scratcher) and you're on the hot seat? yeah, no.

Mississippi Sooner
10/12/2010, 12:34 PM
Kasey Studdard

Booyahh!

soonerborn30
10/12/2010, 12:58 PM
Actually, I rather like yellerteef being right where he is. Without two of the best QBs the school has ever had, he's pretty much useless against us. Let him stay.

IGotNoTiming
10/12/2010, 01:00 PM
Spencer Tillman is wrong... as much fun as everyone is having with it....

baseless, pointless, and just silly.

The texas program is so head and shoulders above UNC, and even though we hate them as Sooners- it is one of the top 5 destinations for any coach to want.... and Muschamp would NEVER take a step down to Georgia.

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 01:07 PM
well the muschump to georgia makes this thread not fail. so your post = fail

You are a ****ing idiot if you think that is going to happen. As I have already posted in other threads Richt isnt going anywhere. He has won 90 games in 7 seasons. He has six 10 win seasons and 2 outright SEC titles. He just happened to win them before it guaranteed you a spot in the MNC game.

He wont be fired until next year and thats if his team isnt able to improve. This year they are going to fire Mike Bobo the offensive coordinator.

badger
10/12/2010, 01:12 PM
The Georgia job is only as good as the head coach makes it... and it sucks right now.

The Bammer job sucked till Saban made it worthwhile, so the UGA job is not no-win, it's just very, very difficult for the time being.

:) but, something tells me a big stack of money will cause someone to give the crappy job a chance.

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 01:25 PM
The Georgia job is only as good as the head coach makes it... and it sucks right now.

The Bammer job sucked till Saban made it worthwhile, so the UGA job is not no-win, it's just very, very difficult for the time being.

:) but, something tells me a big stack of money will cause someone to give the crappy job a chance.

I'm just saying if you think they are going to oust Richt after 1 bad year you are kidding yourself. They were 8-5 last year! :eek: Oh Noes!! They can blow up their program like Nebraska did or they can try to ride it out.

And everyone forgets another UGA grad who coaches Defense that they might try to get... Kirby Smart.

oumartin
10/12/2010, 03:05 PM
You are a ****ing idiot if you think that is going to happen. As I have already posted in other threads Richt isnt going anywhere. He has won 90 games in 7 seasons. He has six 10 win seasons and 2 outright SEC titles. He just happened to win them before it guaranteed you a spot in the MNC game.

He wont be fired until next year and thats if his team isnt able to improve. This year they are going to fire Mike Bobo the offensive coordinator.

did I say he was gonna take it? did I say they were gonna fire richt. I am stating what was brought up by spencer

so, who's the idiot?

badger
10/12/2010, 03:29 PM
I'm just saying if you think they are going to oust Richt after 1 bad year you are kidding yourself. They were 8-5 last year! :eek: Oh Noes!! They can blow up their program like Nebraska did or they can try to ride it out.

And everyone forgets another UGA grad who coaches Defense that they might try to get... Kirby Smart.

You can't expect Georgia fans to sit pretty while Florida, Bammer and LSU rake in five BCS titles, no matter if they've won (snicker snicker) eight games... last season.

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 03:58 PM
You can't expect Georgia fans to sit pretty while Florida, Bammer and LSU rake in five BCS titles, no matter if they've won (snicker snicker) eight games... last season.

How many did we win last year? :eek: :mad:

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 04:01 PM
did I say he was gonna take it? did I say they were gonna fire richt. I am stating what was brought up by spencer

so, who's the idiot?

So then you looked at what I originally quoted you as saying and are admitting that this thread = fail?

:gary:

BTW - I wasnt calling you an idiot. I was calling you an idiot if you think that is what is going to happen. I am so tired of all the Muschamp to UGA bull****. Its all smoke and no substance. He isnt even the best UGA alum D-Coordinator available.

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2010, 04:02 PM

And to this end... is Georgia even that great of a job to begin with?

They have what.. one recognized national champeenship when Herschel was there 30 years ago.. and then... ???

Hot co-eds.
Pretty cool stadium. (even though it goes east-west)

But, playing second fiddle to Bama.. Florida.. arguably Allbarn.. LSU..

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 04:08 PM
And to this end... is Georgia even that great of a job to begin with?

They have what.. one recognized national champeenship when Herschel was there 30 years ago.. and then... ???

Hot co-eds.
Pretty cool stadium. (even though it goes east-west)

But, playing second fiddle to Bama.. Florida.. arguably Allbarn.. LSU..

Except for having the third most SEC titles (12) behind Rama Jama (21) and Tennessee (13).

And they have 2 MNCs the other in '42 with Charley Trippi and Frank Sinkwich (their other Heisman winner)

They also have the 11th most wins...

Just sayin'

Edit: you could also argue about '27 when they beat Yale on the field and went 9-1, but Yale was awarded the MNC, and about '46 when they went undefeated and Notre Dame was voted ahead of them. Granted those are leather helmet titles so they dont matte much, but anyway.

badger
10/12/2010, 05:04 PM
How many did we win last year? :eek: :mad:

I know you didn't just insult the Oklahoma Sooners on an Sooner fan message board. Knowing that, I'm sure you also know that winning the conference title six times and the national title once (not mention getting to the big game several more times on top of that) gives you a lot more leniency when you have an occasional 8-win season.

And in this case, it is NOT occasional. Georgia is one loss away from matching last season's loss total. Entering his 10th season at UGA, Richt only has two SEC championships (and two divisional championships).

So anyway, I know you didn't try to compare Georgia's recent string of mediocrity with OU's one-season fluke.

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 06:05 PM
I know you didn't just insult the Oklahoma Sooners on an Sooner fan message board. Knowing that, I'm sure you also know that winning the conference title six times and the national title once (not mention getting to the big game several more times on top of that) gives you a lot more leniency when you have an occasional 8-win season.

And in this case, it is NOT occasional. Georgia is one loss away from matching last season's loss total. Entering his 10th season at UGA, Richt only has two SEC championships (and two divisional championships).

So anyway, I know you didn't try to compare Georgia's recent string of mediocrity with OU's one-season fluke.

I didnt insult anyone, I merely stated the facts. And the facts say we were an 8 win team last year.

I'm not saying UGA is OU, but in reality very few are... Are they in the next tier of historic programs? I would say so.

And as much as I hate to say it, for the most part the SEC has been a lot tougher to win than the Big XII. Justify it away all you want the SEC has beaten us twice in the big game heads up.

One season is one season. 1.5-2 seasons is a trend. The last half of the season isnt over yet. They just beat the hell out of a Tennessee team that took LSU down to the wire @ LSU.

You would also tend to agree then that every 4-5 years we are going to have an 8 win team? Its happened twice in Stoops' tenure (not including his first season).

I would also argue that 8 wins doesnt make you mediocre. 6-6 is mediocre. How many teams have dropped an 8 win coach and immediately gotten better? The only ones I can think of in the last decade is Florida and BSU. And BSU hired from within.

One could easily say the losses last year were all Willie's fault and that righting the ship with a new defensive scheme and a FR QB takes time.

(Also Richt has 3 divisional titles '02, '03, '05)

Okie35
10/12/2010, 06:15 PM

A few Georgia fans told me that Muschamp would actually be able to bring in more Georgia recruits which is something Richt has been able to do. Personally I don't think either leave Texas but if anything Muschamp will go to Georgia if they got rid of Richt. I doubt it though.

jumperstop
10/12/2010, 06:24 PM
Question. What inside connections to UT athletics does Spencer Tillman have? Is this just him stating something that could, maybe, possibily happen, in his own opinion or does he acctually have information that would lead him to believe this?

Fraggle145
10/12/2010, 08:59 PM
I know its Berry, but the opinion expressed in it is pretty much the feeling at UGA.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/10/07/texas-football-will-richt-keep-his-job/

Texas football: Will Richt keep his job?

Posted by berrytramel on October 7, 2010M at 4:03 pm

My blog earlier this week about Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is getting quite the ride. A University of Texas source told me that if Georgia (or LSU, I suppose) fires coach Mark Richt and comes after Muschamp, the Longhorns might encourage Mack Brown to give up the UT coaching job to make way for Muschamp.

ESPN Radio’s Colin Cowherd talked about it on his show Thursday morning, and it’s sparked a debate among Longhorn fans. But the Georgia end of this story might be a dead end. The Bulldogs might keep Richt, which they ought to do despite Richt’s 1-4 record after an 8-5 2009 season.

Here’s the perspective of one Georgia fan, who corresponds with me regularly and seems to have a good feel for everything going on. Let me repeat, this is a fan. Not any kind of source. The guy from Texas who told me about Muschamp is highly-placed in Austin. The guy from Georgia is just a fan. But he’s rational and thoughtful and seems to know the score, including the fate of his football team. He has correctly told me everything that would happen to Georgia this week, including the losses to Mississippi State and Colorado the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, here’s what the fan wrote.

“Richt will not be fired. Although most agree that he has let the program slip, the Georgia tradition is patience and tolerance which translates into giving Ritcht a chance to correct the situation. Get the thugs out, tighten discipline , get players who love Georgia like Champ and Boss Bailey, David Pollock and Herschel Walker and revive pride.

“Georgia has never acted hastily knowing that it would take on the average three years to bring a team back, and Richt being in place can turn it around quicker, if he has the will.

“Kirby Smart , the Alabama defensive coordinator, was reportedly Richt”s choice for defensive coordinator, but it has been said that (Nick) Saban told him never take a lateral appointment … only move if the direction is up. Thus if Richt were to leave , Kirby Smart is the first choice and Georgia would never take Muschamp if the eyes of Texas are still on him. Additionally, the thinking is that Todd Grantham’s defense has not been given enough time to gel because it is staffed by (Willie) Martinez’s choices and they are not the type for the 3-4.

“Richt is right for Georgia football. He has character, a good clean image and is a nice person. He is so nice, he is reluctant to fire people. Offensive coordinator (Mike) Bobo has not shown much in play calling. He reportedly has eight children, and Richt will not do anything that would hurt him and his family even if it cost him his own job.

“Maybe Richt is too nice to be an SEC coach. Colorado was the last straw for most fans, but not the administration who know that the only quick fix is to keep the head man in place. If he can find another job for Bobo, that would quiet the howling masses for now. Grantham, in my opinion , will get more time.

“In my opinion, the only way Richt will not be allowed to stay through 2011 is for wealthy alums to shut off the money supply, and that is not likely at this point. Most think Richt can do it if he has the will. He has got to get back to managing the game.”

Again, this guy is not an insider. Just an observer. I love his opinion about Smart. I don’t know if it’s right, but it’s a great discussion.

Who’s the better candidate: Smart or Muschamp? Both grew up in Georgia, both played football at Georgia. Smart coached at Georgia in 1999 and 2005; Muschamp has yet to return to his alma mater. Both hooked on with Nick Saban, at LSU and the Miami Dolphins, with Muschamp in the lead as defensive coordinator. Both were in the 2009 national title game.

I don’t claim to know who Georgia would want, but it’s clear to me that Muschamp has the better resume’, having spread his wings from Saban.

As for the assertion that Georgia is patient, maybe. After Vince Dooley’s retirement, the Bulldogs certainly were patient with Ray Goff, who went 46-34-1 in seven years. Now that’s a bad record at a place like Georgia. You have to say Georgia gave Goff plenty of time.

But what about Jim Donnan, who went 40-19 in five years and was fired? Donnan’s final two years were 8-4, his five-year average was 8-4, and away he went. Was that patience? In Georgia’s defense, Donnan — like Goff — never won the SEC East Division and took his team to no major bowls.
Richt has been to three Sugar Bowls and three SEC title games, winning two. Richt has more standing than did Donnan. Would Georgia take Smart or Muschamp? No idea. Will Georgia keep Richt? I at least have a guess. Yes.

badger
10/12/2010, 09:06 PM
A few Georgia fans told me that Muschamp would actually be able to bring in more Georgia recruits which is something Richt has been able to do. Personally I don't think either leave Texas but if anything Muschamp will go to Georgia if they got rid of Richt. I doubt it though.

Yeah - it probably hurts to see Florida playing athletes from Georgia at the cocktail party, much like Texas A&M likes to cry that we (and to a far lesser degree, OSU) steals of their state's talent :rolleyes:

Such is life... and if Texas football is life, then your life sucks, Muschamp :D

Fraggle145
10/13/2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah - it probably hurts to see Florida playing athletes from Georgia at the cocktail party, much like Texas A&M likes to cry that we (and to a far lesser degree, OSU) steals of their state's talent :rolleyes:

Such is life... and if Texas football is life, then your life sucks, Muschamp :D

The dont lose Georgia kids to UF (at least I have never heard that complaint)... They lose them to Auburn and S. Carolina for the most part. UF and Bama cherry pick a few. Hell we even have cherry picked a few Franklin (and Jarboe).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2010, 01:07 AM
I was being sarcastic in case you didn't notice the winkie... but since Lid brought it up, :mack: apparently had 20 or so players who are playing in the NFL during that season, so that just continues the argument that :mack: wasn't the reason Hook em won the 05 title.Coaching at the cows is the easiest recruiting gig in college football, much like coaching at domer USED TO be. But, better, because over 50% of the top HS recruits in tx would sign with the cows, even if John Blake were to come in and coach them. So, IMHO, Mack is a so-so coach, and a boring whiner.

...and, does ANYBODY really think the cows woulda beaten usuc in the '06 NC game WITHOUT Radio?

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2010, 01:58 AM
I'd like to see some meltdown in which they end up losing both of them and Greg Davis takes over.

badger
10/13/2010, 08:37 AM
over 50% of the top HS recruits in tx would sign with the cows, even if John Blake were to come in and coach them. So, IMHO, Mack is a so-so coach, and a boring whiner.

I'd agree with you, but then again, shouldn't A&M be getting more five-stars under than scenario, rather than losing them all to us and whorn... and even baylor, tech and osu?

If whorn does end up with greg davis though, there would be epic meltdowns. Hell, we might go Pac-16 just to get away from them! (not really) :D

oumartin
10/13/2010, 09:42 AM
I know its Berry, but the opinion expressed in it is pretty much the feeling at UGA.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/10/07/texas-football-will-richt-keep-his-job/

yeah, because a fan knows everything

Fraggle145
10/13/2010, 10:06 AM
yeah, because a fan knows everything

No **** Sherlock. Geez get your panties out of a bunch,

Hence, why I prefaced it with "its Berry." And I think Berry does a pretty good job of pointing out that it is just a fan, I didnt think that I needed to reiterate that.

I am just saying that is the general feeling around UGA.

badger
10/13/2010, 10:16 AM
I prefer raspberry and strawberry to tramelberry.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2010, 01:05 PM
I'd agree with you, but then again, shouldn't A&M be getting more five-stars under than scenario, rather than losing them all to us and whorn... and even baylor, tech and osu?
:DEquating Maroon Aggy to the cows is like comparing Cindy Sheehan to Karl Marx...but, you know that.

RaleighSooner
10/14/2010, 11:34 PM
I know Smack is a great CEO and all - certainly better at delegating than actually coaching from all appearances - but I still fail to see what UNC gets out of all this that would make them interested in him as AD. I also agree with NCSooner from way back on page 1 that there's no small amount of resentment here after he got UNC into to top 10 and abruptly walked for *.

I just don't see them replacing the AD unless they clear the decks all the way through head coach - a costly proposition. Agreed that Baddour (current UNC AD) has been around forever and is ripe for replacement, especially in a general house-cleaning exercise. But it's far from a given on the ground here that Carolina dumps Butch, despite all the details. I know there are some boosters pushing for clearing the slate, but there's another contingent that has been pouring funds/support in big time and don't want to take the setback. The Heels are in the midst of a stadium expansion, improving attendance/cash flow and are set to reallocate season ticket holder seating this spring. Money always matters, but keeping the revenue stream attendant a winning program is more important than ever right now. Trouble is the NCAA is camped out in Chapel Hill, and we all know the longer they stay the worse it is. On the upside for the Heels, Blake walked early and flush with cash so he's ripe to take the brunt of it.