PDA

View Full Version : One team goes unbeaten...

deweydw
10/11/2010, 12:04 PM
So says Rivals.com Mike Huguenin. Says Boise State goes undefeated.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1137502

As for the Big 12 undefeated, so far....

OKLAHOMA
Games to watch: Oct. 23 at Missouri, Nov. 27 at Oklahoma State
Buzz: Except for an evisceration of Florida State -- a 30-point win that wasn't even that close -- the Sooners have been far from dominant. They do a lot of things well but nothing exceptionally -- except force turnovers. They lead the nation with a plus-10 turnover margin, which has masked some defensive deficiencies; OU is surrendering 411.6 yards per game, which makes the Sooners 91st nationally in total defense. You figure that is going to catch up to them at some point.
Verdict: One loss

MISSOURI
Games to watch: Oct. 23 vs. Oklahoma, Oct. 30 at Nebraska
Buzz: The Tigers are coming off their best performance, a blanking of Colorado, but when your best win is over Colorado, there still are questions. The defense has been lights out, but no opposing offense has been that good. Still, it's a sign of how far Gary Pinkel has brought this program that it looks as if it could win nine or 10 games.
Verdict: Three losses

NEBRASKA
Games to watch: Oct. 16 vs. Texas, Oct. 23 at Oklahoma State, Oct. 30 vs. Missouri
Buzz: Before the season, this week's game with Texas looked to be the game of the year in the Big 12. But Texas is coming in with a two-game losing streak and suddenly it looks as if the Huskers could get through the regular season unscathed. The defense is nasty and redshirt freshman QB Taylor Martinez has been a revelation running the ball. But, as with LSU, the Huskers eventually will need to make some plays in the air. Can they do it?
Verdict: One loss

And finally the Pokes....

OKLAHOMA STATE
Games to watch: Oct. 16 at Texas Tech, Oct. 23 vs. Nebraska, Nov. 13 at Texas, Nov. 27 vs. Oklahoma
Buzz: Yes, the Cowboys are unbeaten, but their best win is over a mediocre Texas A&M team. The Cowboys have an explosive offense, but the defense once again isn't that good. They have the look of an eight- or nine-win team, which still would be a nice feat considering all the talent they lost from last season.
Verdict: Four losses

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2010, 12:12 PM
Looks like a reasonable set of predictions. I will say that leading the nation in turnover margin may be only 1 thing - but it's a *big* thing. If the offense would just do their job in the 2nd half by running as many plays as the opponent and flipping the field position, the defensive stats would look much better.

Mizzou is now the big question mark. Playing weaker teams so far doesn't mean they are not good - just not proven. They are now the only realistic roadblock to NU reaching the CCG.

OK2U
10/11/2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145684

deweydw
10/11/2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145684

Yea, he beat me to it by 3 minutes. :rolleyes:

Mizzou was the only other team on the schedule I was worried about. We'll see how they do against the Aggies.

goingoneight
10/11/2010, 12:31 PM
We've seen a vastly different version of the BIG 12 than what we're used to.

OU keeps plugging in and playing young guys seamlessly, but depth and attrition are exposed late in their games so far.

Texas... not as good defensively as they were hyped to be, teams can run it on them and they went from being a one-dimensional offense to a completely lost offense. The talent is there, but they're taking their lashes in what may be Mack Brown's first tough year as coach at Texas.

Texas Tech is trying to run Leach's offense and add a gun-run element to it. Tuberville is not the aggressive playcaller Leach was. Defense still sucks in Lubbock.

Baylor is as Baylor does.

OSU has benefitted from A&M being their toughest game to date. I don't think OSU is as good as maybe the teams they're playing are not. This is not your Rose Bowl-contending Cougars or Paul Smith's Golden Hurricanes. Biggest challenges were against okay teams in Stillwater.

A&M continues to look like a Sherman-coached team. Talent, but no guts when it's crunch time.

Kansas State's biggest win was eeking past an average if not below average UCLA team. Daniel Thomas is NFL talent on a Junior College roster. No speed, subpar quarterback play.

Iowa State is going to be thrilled to go to a bowl game, has anything changed here in the last ten years? If I had to pick a team to score a surprise upset, though... it's these guys. Not because we play them next, but because that's Rhoades M.O.

Colorado... thanks for shutting up the SEC chatter for a week. Welcome back to intramurals, brother.

Missouri... Poor man's Chase Daniel team. Nice win over Illinois. What's the Zooker's record overall again?

Kansas... did Mangino eat all of the remaining talent on his way out the door?

Nebraska... only question is what can Taylor Martinez do when his opposition plays the QB keeper well and he's gotta throw the rock to lead the Huskers to a W?

The conference looks down to the naked eye, but is still pretty solid on paper.

We still don't know much. Oklahoma appears to have the most upside, IMO.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2010, 12:41 PM
Missouri... Poor man's Chase Daniel team. Nice win over Illinois. What's the Zooker's record overall again?

I'd add the caveat that the Mizzou D looks good so far, albeit against poor competition.

OUinFLA
10/11/2010, 12:42 PM
Kansas... did Mangino eat all of the remaining talent on his way out the door?

Post of the day

btb916
10/11/2010, 12:44 PM
Well, I agree that OU has some obvious problems. But a great coach will fix those problems as the season (or seasons) goes along. I know we have a great coach; thus I am confident our problems will be fixed for the most part. And as we've seen time and again, teams that look great early don't always win out or win the biggest game. I like our chances to win out. And if we do, we will have played a really tough schedule this year, so we will be battle-tested.

deweydw
10/11/2010, 01:03 PM
What the heck did happen to Kansas? I didn't think they would be all that good. But I didn't think they would down right suck sludge.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/11/2010, 01:10 PM
Our defense should continue to improve. We get Box this back and he brings needed depth at LB. Fleming comes back and we've got an open competition with him and Colvin.

SoonerLVZ
10/11/2010, 01:21 PM

Zook's record at ILL is 23-41, only 1 year of above .500, 2007 was 9-4. (At Florida he was 23-14.

Okie35
10/11/2010, 04:55 PM
Nebraska... only question is what can Taylor Martinez do when his opposition plays the QB keeper well and he's gotta throw the rock to lead the Huskers to a W?

He'll have to throw against the Whorns and I'm still thinking the Whorns beat em next weekend. Just a gut feeling, I hope not for our sake though so we can play them when they're undefeated.