PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska: T-Mart - Buy or Sell?

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 10:24 PM
We have seen all the pundits lick their chops at the play of this kid. They all say he is unbelieveable and has speed and the "it" factor. I have my doubts because I don't think he has it. I think the defenses he has faced don't have it.

Here are the rankings of the defenses that he has faced:

1) Western Kentucky (98)
2) Idaho (32)
3) Washington (104)
4) South Dakota St. (99) FCS
5) Kansas St. (82)

Of course some of this is a product of them getting stomped by T-Mart, but when Idaho is the best defense you faced, it leaves something to be desired. So my question is, Would you buy or sell T-Mart and Why?

oudavid1
10/10/2010, 10:29 PM
I buy him because as an athlete. He is a player. Vince Young-like, he may be raw but can improve greatly. Coming into the season they didnt know if he was gonna be a WR, SS, FS, or QB. I like him alot.

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2010, 10:31 PM
We'll find out over the next few weeks.

rainiersooner
10/10/2010, 10:33 PM
Here are the rankings of the defenses that he has faced:

1) Western Kentucky (98)
2) Idaho (32)
3) Washington (104)
4) South Dakota St. (99) FCS
5) Kansas St. (82)

I had forgotten from whence their 5-0 record came. Hmmmm.

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 10:34 PM
We'll find out over the next few weeks.

That is easy to say. That isn't the point. I know we find out in the next few weeks, but what do you believe now? Do you think performance trumps competition?

PLaw
10/10/2010, 10:36 PM
Sell, sell, sell!!!

Wait until after the Big XII game and you will agree with me.

BOOMER

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 10:36 PM
I had forgotten from whence their 5-0 record came. Hmmmm.

If I am a Nebraska fan, I would be very scared. You have some good games left, but you aren't getting better with your schedule. It is a fact of life that you need to play a good OOC schedule to be a contender. I would be asking questions of my former AD. I guess thats why Osbourne was brought in.

TahoeSOONER
10/10/2010, 10:41 PM
Buy til' December then sell high before the stock tanks.

cccasooner2
10/10/2010, 10:45 PM
Buy. The Horns are going down.

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 10:45 PM
Buy til' December then sell high before the stock tanks.

Intelligent, but I believe the stock will hit a steep drop next week with the 2 for 1 split due to the rough market coming his way.

OK2U
10/10/2010, 10:55 PM
Well according to these rankings, K-state has a better defense than OUrs, so...there's that...

Sooner74
10/10/2010, 11:01 PM
Well according to these rankings, K-state has a better defense than OUrs, so...there's that...

And...We have faced a very good Air Force and Florida State team. Not to mention Texas. I think something is to be said when your offense has shut it down every 4th quarter and your defense manages not to lose it for you. While I don't think we finish top 50 this year...I think our defense is better than stats potray.

goingoneight
10/10/2010, 11:11 PM
Martinez looks like a typical redshirt freshman when he has to throw. Kinda hit-or-miss results. What he has going for him is Helu is just good enough that Nebraska can run a base zone-read offense with him taking off on the keeper. He has the escapablility and vision to avoid first contact and the speed to burn defenders just like wide receivers and running backs have. I don't know how he'd do against a group that plays the zone-read well. Nebraska's done pretty well defensively by setting up winnable situations for such a basic gameplan, too. It's not just the T-magic machine in Lincoln like it was the Shoelace magic show you saw in Ann Arbor. Nebraska's the better team, Robinson by far a more dangerous player/scheme offensively IMO.

CrimsonRez
10/11/2010, 10:18 AM
THE DUDE CAN'T THROW!!!! I've probably explained this to at least 5 'Brasky fans who are all over his nuts. Ya he can run theres no doubt, but what happens when they get their run shut down??? The best ball I've seen the guy throw is a 3-5 yard slant and even those are iffy. IMHO

oumartin
10/11/2010, 10:21 AM
He throws decent and with OU's run defense he scares the daylights outta me.

I'm buying on this kid but as a whole I don't think NU is as good as hyped.

He could run for 200 yards against OU's defense but if OU is up in the fourth quarter we will make him look like an all american passer. Now, that doesn't mean I think NU can beat OU but it's just how OU has looked this year

badger
10/11/2010, 10:21 AM
He can throw, because Nebbish's running game has opened up the passing game to the point that even last year's phail phail QB could probably complete a few TE passes down 10 yards or so for another Huskers... first down! :rolleyes:

Nebbish can love it all they want - Poke might not save their "bowl game" effort for us this year and just expend it next weekend when they're nationally televised on ABC. Plus, it's their Homecoming game.

kbsooner21
10/11/2010, 10:39 AM
Buy! The kid's been dang impressive so far. Making it look easy. You can blame the lack of competition but I haven't seen too many others doing it on those cupcakes either.

oumartin
10/11/2010, 10:45 AM
Buy! The kid's been dang impressive so far. Making it look easy. You can blame the lack of competition but I haven't seen too many others doing it on those cupcakes either.

UTAH STATE ISN'T A CUPCAKE! :mack:

badger
10/11/2010, 11:01 AM
UTAH STATE ISN'T A CUPCAKE! :mack:

Oh man - it's pretty clear that coach was looking for some signature wins and not wins, period. He didn't get the sig win against OU, but he got against his own state's powerhouse, BYU (sorry Utah, but they historically are better).

And... other than Idaho State, that's Utah State's only win. 2-4. Eventually they might be a solid program, but for now, they're just trying to get on the map by playing the name opponents tough.

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2010, 11:09 AM
Buy - for what they are asking him to do. If the Huskers D is as good as some think, they can use the pass in selective, low-risk situations. The real test comes against a team that can score on their D and force a few must-pass situations. This weekend will be very interesting. Will the horn D look like the first half against UCLA (<50 total yards as I remember) or the 2nd half (200+ on the ground).

Veritas
10/11/2010, 11:25 AM
Buy, but only 20% of your portfolio, max. The kid has amazing physical talent and it's been great fun watching him.

But past performance does not guarantee future returns.

His passing ability is more than suspect and we don't know what kind of decisions he makes against a real defense. So far when things go south he can use his athletic prowess to get out of it (or better) but he's not faced any good defenses.

SoonerLB
10/11/2010, 11:34 AM
Buy. If for no other reason than the fact that he has shut up the constant drivel/man love from the usual suspects for that highly overrated Michigan QB.